Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg Top Questions

I would tell myself that I should still go to HACC but to start right away with classes for my Honors major and in turn I would have been able to graduate a year earlier.

The number one thing I would tell my high school self "do not procrastinate!" School is only as hard as you make it. Stay focused on the bigger picture. Try and maintain a balance between school and your social life. It's ok to go out and have fun but remember what's important for your future. The sacrifices you make in college will pay dividends in real life. Do you want to party now or do you want to be able to take vacations to the Bahamas later? Join a study group or try to make friends with kids that are interested in the same subjects as you. And again, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! Putting things off will make you feel overwhelmed and more likely to give up. Stay on top of your work and things won't seem as difficult. College can be fun if you take the right steps and stay disciplined. College is also a part of growing up and you will be forced to make tough choices. Don't be scared to do what you know is right for you and your future. Always be asking yourself "how can I do better?"

Gretchen

College will be a time of growth for you. Time will stand still as you build relationships and find your wings as an adult. It’s the first time you’ll be on your own and the path you choose to walk will shape the career you walk away with. Having been to college at three different points in my life I have learned a lot of lessons. My first experience boiled down to a $20,000 bar tab. The second was an extreme challenge while working fulltime but a healthy reminder of what I had taken for granted years before. Now 36 years old I have returned again to see a real degree through to the end and finally know the most important lesson of all. College isn’t about the beer, the sorority, the meal plan or the party. College isn’t even about the degree. It’s about education. It’s about learning and using your new knowledge to go out and improve your piece of the world. If you are not learning with passion, you are wasting your money and your time. Knowledge is power and I implore you to go out and grab your share!

If I could talk to myself, back when I was about to graduate, I would tell myself that I shouldn't be nervous about what I would and would not be able to do. Yes, there are going to be days when the money is tight, and the homework is difficult. However, I have found that life has a way of working out for the better, if you make wise choices along the way. I feel that I am an intelligent person, and that, as long as I make wise choices, I will be able to accomplish anything, not just earning a college degree. I feel that I will also obtain the job I have always wanted. So, I would tell myself to not be intimidated. Although it will take time to see it, the future ahead is bright.

Gretchen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would not talk. I would yell at myself. I chose not to participate in any clubs or group organizations in high school or college and really struggled with being social. Making the transition to a community college did not provide as many opportunities to interact in sports, clubs or other extra curricular. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself how important it is to get involved no matter where you are in school or work. The ability to communicate and build relationships is priceless.

If I could speak to my high school self, I would tell her to STOP EATING JUNK FOOD. That is literally the only thing I regret doing. Once I got a job, I spent so much money on food and candy without realizing the repercussions of my actions. Soon, I began to understand when I gained a ton of weight and started noticing my clothes were getting tighter and tighter. I had always been bigger growing up, but it had really gotten out of hand. Now, in my second year in college, I go to the gym a lot more with the hope that I can lose more weight than I gained, but do regret eating all of that unhealthy food. I exercise frequently, and I’ve already lost a lot of weight, but I wish I had started sooner than now. Maybe if I started at age sixteen rather than nineteen, I could already have seen much better and faster results.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler, I dont think I would. My highschool carrer had its up and downs but I believe that everything that happens, happens for a reason. Every time I got a bad grade, I learned from it. Every friend ship/ break up that I went through, needed to happen. I see myself now as a respectful and responsible individual and if I changed anything in my past, I may be a differnt person now because of it.

Devaki

Time management is very important. As a college student, one of the best things that one can do is learn how to manage their time efficently. They are only twenty-four hours in a day and one must use those hours time wisely. One should set up daily study time and daily homework time. Effort is very important in college. One should go the extra mile in order to succeed. Don't just take the easy way out and just do the minium amount required for your classes. Work even harder and put more time and effort into all that you do. It pays off because one gets better grades and your professors are more likely to help you out when they see how much effort you put into your work. It also helps you grow and become more skilled in that area of study. Remember this: succeeding in college requires a lot of hard work, patience, strength, will power and time. The college journey may have some bumps in the roads at time but it is worth it! So keep going. Don't give up even when there are bumps in the road.

LeeAnna

The only adivce I would give myself is to make better study habits. I had horrible study habits and had to really crack down on them in college. I have managed to keep all A's and B's but if I had the study habits in high school I have know I could have done better in school. High school seemed like a breeze but I should have challenged myself more. I would also tell myself to get prepared. College is going to blow your mind. You will learn so much and be even more motivated to become a teacher.

Keisha

When i first decided to go to college i was excited and extremely dreading the horrors of crazy work loads. College was not as bad as i thought it would be, there are many young adults that have the same interests and are able to tutor others in the areas they need work on as well as tutors provided by the school. Attending college has been a goal of mine since I was in middle school because I will the first in my immediate family to have a full college education. I love going to school and being able to think of myself greatly for doing so.

Shawna

If I could go back, I would tell myself not to be so intimidated by the financial burden of the school you are dying to attend. Don't worry about the impact your leaving will have on your family; they love you and want to see you succeed. Don't take that year off to evaluate if you really want what you think you do, and work to save money. You won't. You'll get caught up in a world that seems great, but believe me, the greatness of it fades fast. You will waste money dropping out of a school that you justified for yourself, only to find yourself years later settling on the only school you can afford. Follow your dreams no matter what the cost; the real world experience you'll get outside of school is important, but you have the rest of your life for that. Nothing will ever take away the regret you'll feel for not having grabbed life by the horns and going after what you really wanted. You are an intelligent and independent young woman...dive in and don't be scared!

Even though I have had a grim and strenuous past; arduous events are the tests of our resilience and how we choose to move forward. I will not be a victim again, nor will I be yet another that sits and watches passively. These occurrences have changed me forever and directly affected those around me. My intention is to continue to cause effect and change, but from here on out t will be done positively versus the havoc I have endured. I cannot honestly name a more eye opening and heart wrenching experience than having the person that you once viewed as your best friend and loved unconditionally as your biggest fear and threat. I was naive and idealistic in regards to domestic violence and the judicial system. It is my goal and mission to help make change and deliver the level of compassion, humanity and legal allegiance that I was denied and once believed in without hesitation. For that, I deem myself as lucky. Luck is by chance and change is by choice. I wouldn?t change who I am and that is due to what I have endured. The key is to learn and not repeat mistakes twice.

Jarayssa

College is nothing like highschool. When you get there be prepared to take notes. If its put on the board write it down, if the teacher repeats it write it down, and if its put in a power point write it down. Go to tutoring if its offered you may think your work is worth an A but you should always get a second oppinion.Apply for your fasfa as soon as you do your taxes.the sooner the better. Use your time wisely or you'll fall behind. Get Your Work In on time. And most important bring snacks and a drink the classes are much longer than a highschool class period.

Pass GO. Collect $200. Go directly to College. DO NOT HESITATE! Pick a Major that reflects your personality and will help you grow as an individual AND as a productive member of society in todays world. Leave behind more than what you came in with. Aquire any resources that will transform your dream into a reality (e.g. grants, scholarships, loans, etc.). Enroll in a work/study program to show how important your education means to yourself and others. Limit your exspenses and roll any leftover funds into furthering your education. Try to get the most out of the least. Use your education aquired as a way of giving back for what you have received. Set future goals, ahead of you in life, that will help you to stay on track throughout your education and beyond. Use your education to better yourself, your fellow man, your country and your world. Be the best YOU you can be. Mainly, always love yourself and what you want to do in life. Make your education work for others besides yourself. Use your Degree as the key to open the doors of possibilities, and that will leave an imprint on the world around you.

Darah

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to straighten up my acts because college doesn't just hand you good grades. They are more strict on due dates, attendence, and doing work in general. You need to take notes, whether it's on something big or small. You never know what is going to be on a test or when a random test will come up. Make sure you attend every class. If you miss one, call your professors and let them know that you won't be there and why you won't be there. If it's a test day, don't miss class no matter what. Unless it's a major emergency. And if you happen to miss it, call and schedule the test with your professor.

Cassie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax and stop worrying about how everything would turn out. I would tell myself that everything would be just fine and that college is not as big of a deal as everybody makes it out to be. If you just keep studying like you are doing now in high school and doing your best, you won't have any trouble. I would encourage myself to stand up for what I believe in now in preparation for doing the same in college. I would remind myself to take projects one step at a time and to practice managing my time wisely in preparation for the numerous class projects that are all due in the same week. I would tell myself to take make time for exercise and to eat healthy foods so that my body will be at its best for class. Lastly, I would tell myself to keep God first and to spend time daily in His Word, the Bible because no matter what happens, God will always be with me, and he will take care of my needs.

If I could go back in time and be a senior in high school. I would have gone to a 4 year college instead of a community college. For me tranfering to another school is very hard since I am in a routine and I have friends at my school and I am scared about leaving that. If I knew back then that I do now I would also have study more my first year of college. I did not take it as seriously as I should have.

As a high school student I never took studying for a test seriously nor did I realize I how difficult it would to pay for school. For me, taking test was very easy i hardly studied yet I excelled on all of my exams which I believed would transition well to college. Also in my final year I thought working and going to school would be a easy task for me to over come. Due to my poor study habits if I would go back in time and have a talk with myself as a high school senior I would lecture myself about how much work ethic is needed for every class. I would then tell myself that studying is a must for all classes in order to succeed in them. I also would advise my younger self that working and school is very difficult to do at the same time and I would need to devote all my time to my studies.

The advice I would give myself is to never drop out of college the first time and to try harder and longer to get help with financial aid and scholarships. I would also tell my high school self that in order to get what you want in college, grades wise or a good career, that you have to work hard and try your best to accomplish the goals you set for yourself.

CULLEN

Do not juggle too many balls. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, even a first semester college freshman, I would most definately tell my sell to limit the balls I am trying to juggle. Focus on college and not your part-time job, college, friends, etc. College as a freshman is hard enough and , yes, I was warned that I should not work too many hours as a freshman in a part-time job.. but did I listen? NO, I did not. Now i am playing catch up with credits. Limit the amount of things you must do, prioritize the things you want to do and LISTEN to advise from those that have been there.

erik

When I was a senior, making memories was my main focus. I should have understood that, while it was important to enjoy your senior year, your future is just starting. I recently heard a phrase that "winners make it happen, loosers let it happen." Too often, I let things happen. I would tell myself to be more proactive, be more in charge. I would make a list of the things I NEED to do to reach my goal as a computer programmer. A good idea would be to have my lists done on a yearly basis so I could see achievement of goals more quickly. If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would say in a very loud and clear voice... STAY FOCUSED.

erik

As a senior, I w

Mercedes

When you are in high school, teachers and advisors tell students that they need courses like geometry and life management, but really they don?t. Instead of taking geometry, my senior year, I should have taken courses like College Algebra or any AP course. Secondly, I would advise myself to take the AP exams. Although many do not transfer into the Universities, some do. It?s worth the $60.00 and risking it, rather than ignoring the test and taking that same class for $300.00. Also, your freshman year is usually a repeat of those same high school courses, so it?s better to get credit ahead of time, rather than taking an easy A. Finally, work hard and save up so that you don?t have to work as much while you?re in college. College is expensive and it?s hard to be a full time student and work 20+ hours a week outside of school. It?s smarter to save up as much as you can while in high school, instead of waiting till right before. It?s best to build that mentality while in high school so you can be better prepared.

Elaine

Being given the opportunity to continue your education will become apparent to you one day. There are those out there that would cut off their right arm to be given the gift of education. Don't pass this up. If you do, you will someday look back and say " I wish I would have gone to college. How different would my life had been if I had chosen the right path."

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say "Laura you have to focus hard and study to be successful because college is a challange. Also save money because it is not cheap as well. " I didn't graduate from high school though. I got my GED and now attending The Art Institute. But if I could go back in time when I was in high school I would tell myself to get my act together because life is hard without a high school diploma and it's even harder without a degree. Life is not a game and in order to be successful everyone has to work hard to survive and live comfortably.

As a high school senior i was not very motivated. I knew that I wanted to go to college but I did not try very hard to get into any. Do not just do the bare minimum to get by is the first thing that I would have told myself. Challenge yourself to do what you dont think you can. It will better prepare you for the challenges of college work. Do not be afraid to ask for help or to hear negative criticism. Take the negative and turn into a positive and just work on improving what you were critiqued on. People that give you bad criticism are not trying to break you down, they are trying to help you improve. The most important thing i would tell myself is to not be afraid. Yes when you go to college you are basically on your own, but it is not that hard if you just relax take a step back and evaluate your decision and establish how far you want to go in life. Reach for the stars!

Desiree

I would tell myself that I should have went to school as soon as I finished high school. I would tell myself that it is a necessity and that I need to make a better life for myself and for the children that I may have in the future. I would also let myself know that I am not alone and that there are plenty of others who are in the same boat that I am and that there are plenty of programs and colleges willing to help with school. I would also tell myself that there are many options for paying school and that I do not have to have everything figured out right away. I would assure myself that I can do this and assure myself that I am smarter than I think that I am.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, I would tell myself to think carefully before choosing a college. I knew that I wanted to go to college, but I wasn't sure what course of study I was interested in. I would tell myself to consider going to community college first, while I was still trying to figure out what I wanted. I ended up changing colleges and majors several times, which has cost me alot of extra tuition. If I had gone to community college first, I could have saved myself tuition expenses by taking my general education courses there, while I was trying to figure out what specific major I wanted. After attending a four year college, I ended up back at community college to get an associates degree in paralegal studies. I could have saved myself the time and expense had I started at the community college. Moving away to college is a big step, and when I was a high school senior, I really wasn't ready for it yet. I should have started in community college. That is what I would tell myself if I could go back.

Since I am starting my second year of college, I found out that it's not much different from high school. I always applied myself and gave it everything that I had and I still do now. I haven't learned anything new that would have helped me senior year of high school. I always studied hard no matter what.