Oneonta, NY
Hartwick College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hartwick College

jenna

Students at Hartwick are generally committed to doing well and to being successful in the future.

I would tell myself to make the most of your time in college and be very serious about academics because these four years will greatly impact all future career possibilites and decisions. I wish I had realized how important every course in my major was to my grad school opportunities.

That laundry is not free in spite of the high tuition.

There was nothing extra I needed to know for Hartwick specifically. But for college in general it would have been a good thing to know how difficult it is to adjust comparing life at home to life at college. Most average freshman also have a roommate they do not know. Not getting along with your roommate can cause a lot of stress that can affect your educational success. It is also difficult to plan ahead for classes because every professor has a different teaching method, then put in school and club activities the first year can be difficult.

Hartwick College is a very diverse school. If a person comes from a racist or homophobic background they will not be able to get along very well at the College if they are unwilling to set aside their differences. It is a very community based school, students are recommended to join at least one club. For people who are into theater and sports, Hartwick would be a very good choice. Although the school has a large drama and sports community there is a place for everyone. There is a place for almost everyone, even those who are a bit introverted.

Brian

Most of my classmates are really easy to get along with and truly make it an easy transition from high school to college life. My first time on campus was assisted not only by volunteers, but also by random students who would walk by, see that I was unfamiliar with the layout of the campus, and would ask if I needed any help. I couldnt imagine a campus with nicer people and they are also very intelligent. If I need help with a class all I have to do is ask.

The first thing I would tell myself is to take a few different classes. Some of the college courses I took in high school weren't needed so that is money I could have saved. Since college has been a great experience for me, I would tell my past self not to worry as much about the transition. From the first moment I got here everyone has been so nice and helpful, so all the nervousness that filled me during the summer was not needed. Unfortunately, i would also advise my past self to save more money than I did. The stereotype of a poor college student has come true for me. Starting to save earlier would have been a wise idea and not spending my money on things I didn't absolutely need would have made my life now a little easier. Finally, the last piece of advice i would give is to take one more class than I did in the fall semester. By taking only four classes I didn't have as much work and I feel to transition better I should challenge myself a little more.

If a person prefers a very large campus and thousands of students then Hartwick is not the place for them. But, if a person likes a great sense of community and teachers who genuinely care about his/her education, then I do recommend Hartwick to him/her. Hartwick is a place for people who really want to further their education and learn, if someone is not looking for this then they should not consider coming to Hartwick College.

Kassandra

My classmates are diverse, understanding, and fun.

My classmates are diverse, understanding, and fun.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself last year there are hundrends of things I would tell myself. The most important thing I wish I knew last year would be to save more money so I could afford to live on campus, instead of commuting to class everyday. As of right now, I cannot afford to live on campus. If I had saved more money while in high school I would be more likely to have the means to live on campus. I would also tell myself that Hartwick College is the right choice for me. While I was deciding what college to go to I was scared to make the wrong choice. I chose Hartwick because I thought it was a good choice, but I always had some doubt. I now know Hartwick was the right choice, and I would inform myself of this because it would make it eaiser for me to enjoy my last year in high school. There are many other things I would want to tell myself, but these are the most important because this information would help me to better enjoy college and my last year in high school.

I wish that I had been more prepared for the amount of work I was going to receive as a Nursing major.

Blakelynne

If I could go back in time and tell myself what I know now, I would tell myself not to make a hasty decision. I would've told myself to look out of state and to seriously consider what I want to do with my life. I would tell myself not to worry about how far away the college was or what my parents thought. I would've advised myself to save more for college and find a second job off campus to help with expenses. I'd advise myself that this is an important decision and that if I struggle get help immediately, don't waste any time. I would advise myself to get a handle on my depression before college. But I would advise that Hartwick would still be a good choice, I have learned so much and have grown in tremendous ways despite the negatives of this college. My last peice of advice to myself would to not get discouraged and push for whatever and anything that I want, no matter how difficult or unpractical it may seem.

I wish I would've researched the college more and maybe interviewed students that weren't tour guides about how much the school actually costs and what most professors were like. But overall I am a fairly happy College student.

The lack of acceptance from professors that college students have a lot of work to do, that things come up and that we have problems, we aren't robots. Another equally unfortunate thing is that a lot of students are promised financial aid and later get gipped or end up having to drop out or take leave of absences due to the expenses.

Christopher

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to enter college directly out of high school and get a degree instead of taking a break from school and entering the workforce. I would tell myself that seeking a higher education is necessary for a rewarding career and future financial security, although additional years of schooling do not sound appealing as I near the end of high school. I would tell myself to be persistent in achieving high grades and learning as much as I can throughout high school and college, as I will be rewarded from doing so in the future. Lastly, I would tell myself that transitioning from high school studies to college studies will bring more difficult academic work, but with the tougher academic work in college I get to leave all the rules and regulations of high school behind.

Gavin

My school is incredible and adapts to my wants and needs in a college education.

Get involved. This phrase seems to be repeated by parents, guidance counselors, teachers and peers, however it is incredible what getting involved can do for a person. Joining a club, sports team, Greek organization, or a musical or performance group helps take away the stresses of college. It allows you to engage yourself in your school and make friends along the way. Social connectedness is vital in doing well at college. You can study 24/7 and isolate yourself to achieve that 4.0, but you will not experience, learn, and grow as an individual. Surrounding yourself with people that have similar passions to you will help facilitate new experiences, new ideas, and new friendships. Therefore you will feel more confident, outgoing and connected to your school and the people around you. With that being said; you will need to manage your time. Although making a lot of friends and being social can be extremely rewarding, you need to balance how you spend your time. If you can master the balance between being involved at your school and still having time dedicated to your course work, you can attain high grades and great mental health.

My school incorporates "J-term" into it's academic school year. J-term or January term encompasses the month of January. It allows students to take one class on campus or study abroad. Many students take "experiential learning" classes which enables them to have fun and experience learning in a new way. It is an innovative and exciting way for students to take classes.

Bess

The campus is absolutely lovely. I wake up every morning surrounded by beautiful mountains. The environment is inspiring and encourages creativity. In fact, the entire school encourages that. The mission of the school is explerimentally based and every dicipline is encouraged to try new and exciting endeavers outside of a rigid curriculum. This is exemplified most in the Honors Program and its affiliated Challenges that must be completed each year.

It is important to note that it is taking me quite a long time to come up with an answer for this question. No complaint jumps to mind and I have not had any negative experiences to speak of. The only detail that I am having issue with is my dorm building. It is freshman housing so we have a lot of damages that we must pay for. In general, Smith is the ghetto dorm but I hear the other buildings are great in comparison.

Jodi

Hartwick College is best known for its nursing program; it is an intensive program but in the long run worth every penny.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships to be able to more easily afford books and other school supplies, as well as gas back and forth for holidays. In addition, I would tell myself to invest in a finacial aid planner because I still don't understand the loan processes and forms that I fill out. My parents, because they are divorced and not financially savvy, I am stuck learning the hard way, on my own, about the financial lingo, loans, and various forms for college.

I wish I had realized the money factor of coming to Hartwick and applied for more scholarships to help ease the cost of college. Everything adds up: gas, books, snacks, movies, dinners out with friends, etc.

Haley

Relax! I found that as a senior i stressed way too much and over thought everything. My college transition went very smoothly and high school really did prepare me more than I thought it did. Also, get another job! What I really worry about in college is finances, so preparing better in high school for that would have helped me more now.

I love everything about my school. I love that is it small, so all of my classes are very intimate and the professors get to know you better and have more time to help with personal problems. Everyone here is so nice and willing to help you with any problems that you may have. In my nursing program I love that we start right away. I have already started clinicals in my first year, and will spend all four years becoming excellent in my profession.

There are only 2 things I find frustrating about my school. The first is that we have to take a class teaching us how to deal with college life. The concept is good, but I don't think I need it personally, and there are no credits, so it sometimes feels like a waste of time. The other frustration is the stairs! It takes a lot to get to classes but I am so much healthier because of it, so it's a good thing after all.

Hartwick College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.