Oneonta, NY
Hartwick College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hartwick College

Kailee

There are many diverse students with their unquie personalities, but groups tend to 'click' together and can be difficult to get 'invited in'.

I would look back and tell myself to embrace the nervousness and turn it into excitement. I would tell myself to not worry because it takes experience to get to where you're planning to go. Do not expect to come to college and trust/like everyone you greet. Instead of that expected 3.5 GPA, a 3.2 is just as good and will still show that you worked hard. Be yourself and always keep the motivation to push further. "Life is easy to recognize, but hard to define".

I wish i knew not to be so nervous. Everyone is in the same position in the beginning. Take all the orientation opportunites and get involved- makes it much easier to meet friends and decide which crowd/s you want to surround yourself with.

My university is known for its amazing multi-cultural diversity. BYU-Hawaii encourages academic learning and spiritual growth to its student body which is comprised international studies from over seventy countries.

College is only the first major transition of your life. Therefore, how you choose to handle the new situations will affect the rest of your life. This will be a prime time in your life to find out who you really are and what your potential really is. There will be plenty of roadblocks in college, as in the rest of your life. Don't let them get you down, because you will never fail unless you give up and quit. Take advantage of every opportunity you have, work hard, and don't take for granted the opportunity you have already been given to attend college.

This university taught me that it doesn't matter if you go to an Ivy League school for your undergraduate education or not, if you are planning to go to graduate school. What matters is your dedication and performance, particularly research, internships, and community service, if you plan on applying to graduate schools.

Abigail

My classmates are intelligent, ambitious, and accepting.

My classmates are intelligent, ambitious, and accepting.

Applying to college is a stressful time, but why make it any harder than it needs to be? Plan your visits early, preferably the summer before your senior year. You don’t want to be trying to visit schools during your last of high school. Get your applications in early as well. Something is bound to go wrong, so you want to have enough time to fix the problem. When looking at schools, don’t be afraid to try a little of everything. Big schools, small schools, public schools or private schools, you won’t know what you want until you get to see it. If given the opportunity don’t just see the school, experience it. This includes going in for a personal interview or arranging an overnight visit. The best time to look at a school is when current students are around. Choosing a college is a big deal, but don’t let the stress wear you down. When you get that first acceptance letter, don’t be afraid to celebrate. It’s a big deal, even if it’s not your first choice. Remember how hard you worked in high school and let your efforts pay off.

I think almost everyone could be happy at Hartwick College, except those who absolutely hate exercising. The only reason why I think this is because Hartwick is built into the hills of Oneonta and there are literally hundreds of steps all around campus that are 100% unavoidable.

Unlike most colleges, students have the opportunity to study abroad starting Freshman year. Hartwick splits its academic year into three semesters: fall, January term, and Spring. During the 4 week-long January term, students have the option to stay on campus and take a course that is not offered in the fall nor the spring, or take a course abroad. I was fortunate to have studied abroad every J-Term in places including Prague, Anguilla, Madagascar, New Zealand and India for a summer program.

The most valuable part about attending Hartwick was the small student to teacher ratio. Developing a relationship with my professors outside of the classroom is very important to me, because I have a better understanding of how I am doing in their class and what they are teaching. At a small school, professors will recognize your strengths and weaknesses and pay attention to your efforts and actions that much more and use them to determine how far they can push you to get your best work. I had many tough professors at Hartwick. Yet, the toughest of them all was my favorite. I was a hard and ambitious worker, and he pushed me so hard that I thought failure was nearby. On the flip side, I had a family away from home. If something was not right, he wanted to talk about it out of genuine concern. I accomplished life-changing challenges that I thought would be impossible, because he pushed and guided me almost every step of the way. Nearly four years after graduation, we still communicate like I never left. I cherish the relationship we built, because it defines what a small student to teacher ratio can do.

Tabitha

I have recieved education that I have been missing. Being out of school for 6 years and then returning is mind wrecking. Being at school has taught me that everyone is there to further their education, not to play around. I love that about college, the teachers and administration are always there if you have a question or are having any kind of problem. It's been valuable to me because I am on my way to getting my degree and providing for myself and my daughter.

Jason

My first year away from home, and my family I thought was going to be difficult. I had never been away from my family for longer than a week in the past, and though I was excited to start my college experience, I was concerned that I would miss those dear to me. As it turnied out my first year at college turned out to be more enjoyable than I could have imagenied. I have had the opportunity to meet other students from all over the world, and establish new friendships. My roomate and I have become good friends. he is from Brazil, and during spring break he came home with me to spend time with my family and I. I intially looked at my school because of their soccer program, but I feel like the college choice I made was a good one all around, academically, socially, and sports. One of the most valuable experience at my school is the faculty and students have become a second family to me. The instructers seem to really engage in the studies they teach you, and make the classroom experience very vibrant and a great setting to learn in.

Someone who likes the city life should not attend Hartwick. Hartwick in nestled in Oneonta NY a rural area. with limited shopping .

Lack of availabilty in my course becuase the school does not allow you to choose your courses until your advisor s assigns you a date to meet with them. The problem is as a freshman you have lst choice., therefore there is only limited space in the classrooms, and my course of choices are already filled up.

Desiree

Our school makes programs available that help the transition from high school to college lif

I've formed frienships with people that i won"t forget for the rest of my life not to mention I can go home and flaunt my superior knowledge on topics that my family cannot even pronounce. This has been a valuable experience for me because i think it helped prepare me a bit for the real world where you won't have your parents there for everything and where nice people don"t always get what they deserve.

Someone who doesn't mind being near nature

Victoria

Starting my college education is mine and my parents top priority right now. I never knew how important it was until now. I graduated in 2009, but couldn't start school that fall because both of my parents were out of work. Now, it is coming up on the fall 2010 semester and I still have tuition left to pay. My parents have been extremely supportive. I need to get as many scholarships as I can so that I can start this fall. I plan on majoring in Mathematics at West Virginia University in the fall of 2010. After this struggle, I will do the best I can because I know that this is an amazing opportunity. I have a chance at being truly successful in my life so I will make the most of this opportunity.

My school is best know for its diversity both in students and professors. We are located near Washington DC and have access to professors that are at the top of their field.

My college experience has been a time of growth and independence. Living away from home and being independent has been an adventure. The saying learn by doing has never been more true. The experience of college life is learning your strengths and weakness and working within those boundaries. Living with people that you may not have grown up with is such a positive. The diversity that I have been exposed to has opened me up to new opportunities and educated me far beyond the classroom. The academic avenues are so vast that it can be overwhelming, but a great opportunity to explore so much than what I was exposed to in high school.

The worst thing about my college is the cost. I know this is not special to my school but that is the only issue with my school. I love my college and hope I will be able to afford to stay.

Hartwick College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.