Hartwick College Top Questions

Vonda

I would encourage myself as a high school senior to explore every subject, class, club, program, etc. that Hartwick College is going to offer the moment you arrive on campus. You'll have an unforgettable, enriching experience if you will embrace it. And don't be afraid to speak with your professors about their academic journey.

Bianca

Dear Bianca,Before you go to hartwick I want to give you some advice. Make sure you keep your strong work ethic because it can be really easy to forget about school. You are going to have a lot of opportunities to travel and you are going to question if you should go or not. Take the opportunities. Your friends will always be there. Don't be afraid to be really successful. A lot of your friends may tease you but never lower your standards because others don't want to rise to yours. And listen to Professor Davis. You will come into school with very close-minded views and you will think he is an idiot at first, but he is a really great professor and you are going to learn the most from him. Also make sure you thank Malissa and professor Mitchell. Both of them go out of their way to make sure you succeed. Most of all enjoy every single minute of your time in college. Before you know it you will be crying at graduation and looking back on all of your memories. Have fun at Wick! Bianca

Marisa

The advice I would give my younger self is probably different from most. Maybe some would say "Don't procrastinate" or "do all of the homework and don't skip any classes." But, for me, I would tell my high school self that, no matter how cliché it sounds, things do get better, don't give up. Things are going to be harder in high school, but they don't have to be that way in college. Open up more-- people are more accepting in college because they are more mature. Don't hang out with the wrong crowd, it's good to let loose once in a while but don't make a habit out of it. Remember that naps are good, too. You'll find yourself going to sleep late during the week to finish a paper or at four in the morning on the weekend and waking up at eight in the morning because you don't want to miss anything. Sleep is healthy and you won't miss a thing. One last thing, you don't need anyone else to make you happy as long as you are doing what you love. Don't give up.

Going back and talking to myself the first piece of advice I would give myself is do as much as you can to pay for college. I would urge myself to take all opportunity to find part time jobs during school, as well as apply for as many scholarships as possible. All people say is that free money is the best money and that is the truth, I would not stop telling the past version of me to fill out scholarships. Next I would tell myself to have more fun with my friends and make the last summer more memorable by going to more school functions like the all night party and prom.

My graduating class consisted of 44 students including me. I had known most of them since middle school and my classmates became my family. I was very comfortable and friendly in this environment but I had very little work ethic or drive to learn. I was concerned with enjoying every moment of my experience, keeping the peace and volunteering but I graduate an average student with nothing to show for my time and energy. I would encourage my younger self to step out of my comfort zone and achieve more than what was required of me. I was soft spoken even on topics that I understood or really interested me. I had many opportunites to lead discussions, attend conferences and workshops and participate in projects that I never pursued because I did not see the relevance. Fast forward to college, I joined 4 organizations during my freshman year and I have participated in many extra credit projects. I'm involved in an off campus internship that has helped me pave the way to reaching my goals and it is so fulfilling. I wish that I learned to enjoy my responsibilities and take advantage of my intellectual potential in high school.

Gerald

Your senior year of high school is a busy time. Between taking standarized test, worrying about your transcript, doing your college search, sending out your applications and waiting to find out about admissions at your colleges and universities, it’s understandable that you would be tempted to put all that school stuff aside and have fun with your friends. But keep your eyes on the education prize. Balance is key: Take breaks to recharge and have fun, but don’t let senioritis overtake you and make your college options slip away. Starting college, Don’t be fooled by the idea that a second paper or a midterm quiz doesn't make that much of a difference. Everything counts. Even if something is only worth five percent of your grade, take it seriously. That extra five percent might be what pushes you from a B to A. Professors understand all the challenges you’re facing, and many of them are nice enough to offer extra help during the year. This help can be in the form of extra office hours, a review of topics covered, study guides, sample exams, or other tools to help you improve your grade. Take advantage.

Tashiem

If I could give my high school senior self advice, I would say to enjoy your last year in high school and cherish every moment you have as a high school student. As eager as we are to leave for college, it is not what the media perceives it to be. You can go ahead & party, but party too much & not do your work, you will fail out. The reason is because in college, everything feels like a job. When you step on campus, procrasinating goes out the window. You will have too much work to put off to side to go on Twitter or YouTube. Time is everything in college. You have to learn to budget your time to avoid pulling all-nighters. One last thing, keep in touch with your close friends & family. Talk to them once or twice a week to keep them updated on your life because even though you're meeting new people in college, your close friends & family will look out for you until the end of time.

jenna

I would tell myself to make the most of your time in college and be very serious about academics because these four years will greatly impact all future career possibilites and decisions. I wish I had realized how important every course in my major was to my grad school opportunities.

The first thing I would tell myself is to take a few different classes. Some of the college courses I took in high school weren't needed so that is money I could have saved. Since college has been a great experience for me, I would tell my past self not to worry as much about the transition. From the first moment I got here everyone has been so nice and helpful, so all the nervousness that filled me during the summer was not needed. Unfortunately, i would also advise my past self to save more money than I did. The stereotype of a poor college student has come true for me. Starting to save earlier would have been a wise idea and not spending my money on things I didn't absolutely need would have made my life now a little easier. Finally, the last piece of advice i would give is to take one more class than I did in the fall semester. By taking only four classes I didn't have as much work and I feel to transition better I should challenge myself a little more.

Kassandra

If I could go back in time to talk to myself last year there are hundrends of things I would tell myself. The most important thing I wish I knew last year would be to save more money so I could afford to live on campus, instead of commuting to class everyday. As of right now, I cannot afford to live on campus. If I had saved more money while in high school I would be more likely to have the means to live on campus. I would also tell myself that Hartwick College is the right choice for me. While I was deciding what college to go to I was scared to make the wrong choice. I chose Hartwick because I thought it was a good choice, but I always had some doubt. I now know Hartwick was the right choice, and I would inform myself of this because it would make it eaiser for me to enjoy my last year in high school. There are many other things I would want to tell myself, but these are the most important because this information would help me to better enjoy college and my last year in high school.

Blakelynne

If I could go back in time and tell myself what I know now, I would tell myself not to make a hasty decision. I would've told myself to look out of state and to seriously consider what I want to do with my life. I would tell myself not to worry about how far away the college was or what my parents thought. I would've advised myself to save more for college and find a second job off campus to help with expenses. I'd advise myself that this is an important decision and that if I struggle get help immediately, don't waste any time. I would advise myself to get a handle on my depression before college. But I would advise that Hartwick would still be a good choice, I have learned so much and have grown in tremendous ways despite the negatives of this college. My last peice of advice to myself would to not get discouraged and push for whatever and anything that I want, no matter how difficult or unpractical it may seem.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to enter college directly out of high school and get a degree instead of taking a break from school and entering the workforce. I would tell myself that seeking a higher education is necessary for a rewarding career and future financial security, although additional years of schooling do not sound appealing as I near the end of high school. I would tell myself to be persistent in achieving high grades and learning as much as I can throughout high school and college, as I will be rewarded from doing so in the future. Lastly, I would tell myself that transitioning from high school studies to college studies will bring more difficult academic work, but with the tougher academic work in college I get to leave all the rules and regulations of high school behind.

Gavin

Get involved. This phrase seems to be repeated by parents, guidance counselors, teachers and peers, however it is incredible what getting involved can do for a person. Joining a club, sports team, Greek organization, or a musical or performance group helps take away the stresses of college. It allows you to engage yourself in your school and make friends along the way. Social connectedness is vital in doing well at college. You can study 24/7 and isolate yourself to achieve that 4.0, but you will not experience, learn, and grow as an individual. Surrounding yourself with people that have similar passions to you will help facilitate new experiences, new ideas, and new friendships. Therefore you will feel more confident, outgoing and connected to your school and the people around you. With that being said; you will need to manage your time. Although making a lot of friends and being social can be extremely rewarding, you need to balance how you spend your time. If you can master the balance between being involved at your school and still having time dedicated to your course work, you can attain high grades and great mental health.

Jodi

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships to be able to more easily afford books and other school supplies, as well as gas back and forth for holidays. In addition, I would tell myself to invest in a finacial aid planner because I still don't understand the loan processes and forms that I fill out. My parents, because they are divorced and not financially savvy, I am stuck learning the hard way, on my own, about the financial lingo, loans, and various forms for college.

Relax! I found that as a senior i stressed way too much and over thought everything. My college transition went very smoothly and high school really did prepare me more than I thought it did. Also, get another job! What I really worry about in college is finances, so preparing better in high school for that would have helped me more now.

First I would encourage myself to go to college straight out of high school instead of waiting. Secondly, I would let the younger me know that college is a life time experience that will help build the foundation for success in my future goals and dreams. Then I would simple tell myself that no matter how hard things get that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Furthermore, when one door closes another door opens... the opportunities are endless. Grab life by the horns and take charge.

Hayley

Be prepared! You will have those days where the stress is too much to handle, and where you just need a "sick" day. (Usually this is what the weekend is for.) At first it will seem hard: leaving home, meeting new friends, living with a roommate. But, that's what college is all about. You have to feel that pressure to fit in and that stress to keep up your grades because that's how it's going to be for the rest of your life. You have to be strong. Never give in to pressure, and know that there will be people willing to help you. There will be people pulling you along when you think you can't go on any longer. You WILL make it. Believe in yourself, you'll be great.

I would advise myself to work harder in my math class, which was trigonometry at the time, to prepare for college level math- and take really good notes to refer back to. I would also advise myself to speak more with my counselor about college and to apply for scholarships.

I would tell my high school self to work harder, study more, and take dual credit courses. If my GPA in high school would have been higher I would have been able to go to a better college and would have qualified for more scholarships my senior year.

I would say to myself to make the exact same choices I made because I am in an excellent program and having experiences I would not be able to have any where else.

Kaylyn

I would advise myself to have all of my dorm supplies ready well in advance, that you will be eating quick food in your room alot and less in the commons. I would tell myself that my professors are less scary after the first few clasess. I would plan to work out much more often ( the freshman 15 is very real).

KRISTEN

Knowing what I know about the college life and making the transition, I learned to stay real to who you really are. Don't try to conform to be who someone else might want you to be. You're wants and needs come first.

Kaytia

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self i would advice myself to take 12th grade more seriously. I would tell my self that 12th grade have an effect on the future me. I would advice myself to practice harder at softball and exercise more often to be healthier for the future. Stop wasting time in classes and make sure i arrive at school early and ready to learn. If i could go back in time i would be a better person. Make sure the fights i had with my mom never occured because my future self misses her like crazy. A key factor that i had to tell my past self was to apply for scholarships because if she does then she wouldnt be in dept right now.

sabrina

If I could talk to myself as a senior again I would tell myself to stop worrying. College is nothing to stress about. It doesn't matter what people think of you anymore. I would want myself to know that my academics are more important than finding and making friends, even though making friends are important. It's easy to make friends when you open up. I would tell myself to make sure I take my academics seriously because college determines who you'll be in the future. I would tell myself to stick to your values no matter who or what challenges you because in order to be honest and true, you must be honest to yourself. I would tell myself that even though you need to concentrate, its not bad to sit back and have fun with friends. I would also tell myself that teachers care and not worry about them being mean. People are naturally goodhearted, expecially teachers.

Life at Hartwick College is very diverse. You meet at lot of people of different ethnic groups and become friends with almost everybody since the campus is small; only 1500 students. The best advice i would give myself if I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to go out and meet every person you could and become friends with as many people as you can. College is not enjoyable without the friends one can make on college campus's. Most of the people at Hartwick College are very friendly to begin with and are willing to just hang out anytime. I would tell myself to just go with the flow and grab life by the horns, live life to the fullest and enjoy the four years of college with the many friends you meet at college, because the four years will be over before you know it.

Go for it. Dont hold anything back, it may be hard at times, it might seem like there almost to much between school sports and social life but its well worth it. You might just have to buckle down in the library for a day or two and you'll get through it. all you need is that determination to finish through knowing at the end of it. Classes may come and go but that education and those friendships and bonds that you have built with people over the last few years will be everlasting. And the experiences you do not want to miss out on it. So throw caution to the wind, jump right in and go for it. Just remember school first, sports and social life second and third.

lourine

I would tell myself to be serious about education especially when the only responsibility i have is to be the best i can be.

You don't have to be 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} sure on your degree plan. Just have an idea of what you're interested in and go with that; it's ok to change your degree plan. Be willing to take classes that are outside of your degree plan to get a well-rounded academic experience. Just focusing on studies doesn't leave much time to make friends. Find balance by taking time; schedule if necessary, free time to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of college. Take the time then, you won't be able to 'do' your 1st experience at college again. Join more clubs, make more friends. There's more to life after graduation than the grades you made. Unless you're going to law school or medical school, passing grades is all you need. Employers don't care your grades or activities, rather, can you do the job you're given. That simple.

I would tell myself that college is a big deal and I should plan accordingly for it. That said, I would have broadened my college search from just small liberal arts schools to all schools, including large state universities. Student loans are a kicker and when you know that the amount of debt keeps piling up year after year, other options such as a state school sound more appealing. It's not about your undergrad school anymore, rather, it's about your graduate school and beyond. Another thing that's important is the idea of coming into school with a clear plan. Freshman year is no time to dilly-dally. Know priorities and career paths before actually paying for courses you don't necessarily find interesting--research, research, research.

jill

i wouldn't have told myself anything different becasue everything happens for a reason

Carolyn

Looking back to when I was a high school senior the number one thing I would tell myself is to believe that I could do anything I wanted. That accomplishing dreams is entirely possible. That the key to success is first focusing on the long term goal and then breaking it down into managable steps. Once the steps are decided remember that there is always wiggle room and to not get too stressed out if something gets out of order or does not work. To always remember there are multiple ways of doing things and if you fail try again until you succeed. I believe if I was able to tell myself these things as a senior the transition to college would have been smoother and easier mentally. Because there is always an alternative to accomplishing your goals and if you keep your eye on that goal and your head up once the goal is accomplished you feel as though you are on top of the clouds.

I would tell myself to stay focused. I went to a catholic school and it helped me be prepared more for the future than the public school I had planned on going to did. I was a good student and kept my grades up, but I would slip from time to time. So staying focused is the main thing for me. I use to procrastinate in highschool, but once i attended college, I cannot or else I will be very far behind. Being a college student is a job itself, but needs to be done and can only help you in the future. Also I would tell myself to make sure to stay who you are and have fun with whatever you do. Life is too short to sit back and wait for things to happen, go take as many chances as you can!

Due to the fact that I have decided to go back to school in my thirties, I would tell that senior to "Go to college!". At that time I was too preoccupied with a relationship and working to realize the importance of school. I had always received good grades and had been an exemplary student. But, I was too immature to understand what I was giving up by not attending college. Now that I am back in school, I love it! I am soaking up as much knowledge as I can and really enjoying this second chance. That silly little senior that just wanted to go out and get a job really missed out on a lot of experiences that college could have offered her. Then again, maybe I was meant to have these experiences later in life when I could appreciate them even more.

I would tell myself as a High School Senior that college life is exciting, and to not to be scared of it. College is a chance to really excel in higher learner for myself, and it is something not to be taken lightly. To think of myself as a diamond in the rough that needs lots of polishing, eventually I will shine like that diamond to become that well rounded, educated man that will shine with brilliance to the prospective employers and to the people around me. I would advise myself to pick my friends wisely. I would tell myself to align myself with ones that are as serious about their future as I am. For the first time in my life I am going to be on my own. Every decision I make will come with rewards or consequences. Think through those choices and make the decisions that will enhance my future and me as a student, along with others around me. Finally, I would advise myself to be careful of what I did with these new found freedoms and responsibilities, not to take advantage of them. With all this in mind, enjoy these years.

Kailee

I would look back and tell myself to embrace the nervousness and turn it into excitement. I would tell myself to not worry because it takes experience to get to where you're planning to go. Do not expect to come to college and trust/like everyone you greet. Instead of that expected 3.5 GPA, a 3.2 is just as good and will still show that you worked hard. Be yourself and always keep the motivation to push further. "Life is easy to recognize, but hard to define".

College is only the first major transition of your life. Therefore, how you choose to handle the new situations will affect the rest of your life. This will be a prime time in your life to find out who you really are and what your potential really is. There will be plenty of roadblocks in college, as in the rest of your life. Don't let them get you down, because you will never fail unless you give up and quit. Take advantage of every opportunity you have, work hard, and don't take for granted the opportunity you have already been given to attend college.

Applying to college is a stressful time, but why make it any harder than it needs to be? Plan your visits early, preferably the summer before your senior year. You don’t want to be trying to visit schools during your last of high school. Get your applications in early as well. Something is bound to go wrong, so you want to have enough time to fix the problem. When looking at schools, don’t be afraid to try a little of everything. Big schools, small schools, public schools or private schools, you won’t know what you want until you get to see it. If given the opportunity don’t just see the school, experience it. This includes going in for a personal interview or arranging an overnight visit. The best time to look at a school is when current students are around. Choosing a college is a big deal, but don’t let the stress wear you down. When you get that first acceptance letter, don’t be afraid to celebrate. It’s a big deal, even if it’s not your first choice. Remember how hard you worked in high school and let your efforts pay off.

The most valuable part about attending Hartwick was the small student to teacher ratio. Developing a relationship with my professors outside of the classroom is very important to me, because I have a better understanding of how I am doing in their class and what they are teaching. At a small school, professors will recognize your strengths and weaknesses and pay attention to your efforts and actions that much more and use them to determine how far they can push you to get your best work. I had many tough professors at Hartwick. Yet, the toughest of them all was my favorite. I was a hard and ambitious worker, and he pushed me so hard that I thought failure was nearby. On the flip side, I had a family away from home. If something was not right, he wanted to talk about it out of genuine concern. I accomplished life-changing challenges that I thought would be impossible, because he pushed and guided me almost every step of the way. Nearly four years after graduation, we still communicate like I never left. I cherish the relationship we built, because it defines what a small student to teacher ratio can do.

Tabitha

I have recieved education that I have been missing. Being out of school for 6 years and then returning is mind wrecking. Being at school has taught me that everyone is there to further their education, not to play around. I love that about college, the teachers and administration are always there if you have a question or are having any kind of problem. It's been valuable to me because I am on my way to getting my degree and providing for myself and my daughter.

My first year away from home, and my family I thought was going to be difficult. I had never been away from my family for longer than a week in the past, and though I was excited to start my college experience, I was concerned that I would miss those dear to me. As it turnied out my first year at college turned out to be more enjoyable than I could have imagenied. I have had the opportunity to meet other students from all over the world, and establish new friendships. My roomate and I have become good friends. he is from Brazil, and during spring break he came home with me to spend time with my family and I. I intially looked at my school because of their soccer program, but I feel like the college choice I made was a good one all around, academically, socially, and sports. One of the most valuable experience at my school is the faculty and students have become a second family to me. The instructers seem to really engage in the studies they teach you, and make the classroom experience very vibrant and a great setting to learn in.

Allyson

i have gained a lot of new knowledge/skills that are going to help me become a better nurse

Desiree

I've formed frienships with people that i won"t forget for the rest of my life not to mention I can go home and flaunt my superior knowledge on topics that my family cannot even pronounce. This has been a valuable experience for me because i think it helped prepare me a bit for the real world where you won't have your parents there for everything and where nice people don"t always get what they deserve.

Starting my college education is mine and my parents top priority right now. I never knew how important it was until now. I graduated in 2009, but couldn't start school that fall because both of my parents were out of work. Now, it is coming up on the fall 2010 semester and I still have tuition left to pay. My parents have been extremely supportive. I need to get as many scholarships as I can so that I can start this fall. I plan on majoring in Mathematics at West Virginia University in the fall of 2010. After this struggle, I will do the best I can because I know that this is an amazing opportunity. I have a chance at being truly successful in my life so I will make the most of this opportunity.

My college experience has been a time of growth and independence. Living away from home and being independent has been an adventure. The saying learn by doing has never been more true. The experience of college life is learning your strengths and weakness and working within those boundaries. Living with people that you may not have grown up with is such a positive. The diversity that I have been exposed to has opened me up to new opportunities and educated me far beyond the classroom. The academic avenues are so vast that it can be overwhelming, but a great opportunity to explore so much than what I was exposed to in high school.

I have made many different great experiences whiling attending Hartwick College. The school has opened my eyes to many different things, and have done things that i would of never thought i do.

Don't be afraid if you don't make close friends in the first semester. These things take time. Have all of your financial aid paperwork in order and make copies of everything. Try as many new activities as you can without getting overwhelmed. Find some time each day for yourself. Write for an hour every day. Ask lots of questions--you only get to be this clueless once. Do NOT procrastinate. You only hurt yourself when you do. Take as many weekend trips as possible. Go on job shadows and ask for advice when you need it. Stand up for yourself when necessary, but try to hear other people out before you fly off the handle. Sleep well, eat well, be well. Most importantly, don't worry. If it's meant to be, you'll find a way.

The first thing I would tell myself is, "It's okay, talk to people. They're all experiencing the same thing; New people, new place." secondly I would tell myself, "If your approved for workstudy, find a job. NOW! Because when the jobs are gone, they're gone. And if you don't work all the hours they give you know, they just won't give you a job next year." One of the last major pieces of important informations is that, "Procrastination may have worked in high school and weekend homework could wait till sunday night. But that doesn't work so well now because if you don't do your homework, the teacher doesn't really care, you fail, and you've wasted a crap load of money. Nice job."

"Heather," I would say to myself, "Suck it up and stick it out!" Sometimes life has a way of being difficult, and working instead of learning can be such an enticing choice. It is WORTH IT to take the time and finish your degree before you become set in your ways and have bills that can't exactly be pushed aside to pay tuition instead. College is an investment in your future, and although it sounds appealing to go out into the world and make your own way, you are much better prepared to take care of yourself with a degree in hand. At 28, I will begin my last two years to complete my bachelors degree. I am looking forward to finally finishing it, but I wish I could have had my adult self to shake some sense into my teenage self about ten years ago. So as an adult, I am now saying to myself, "Heather, suck it up and stick it out!" It is time to get the degree done!

Nursing is a very hard major. The workload is tough and will get the best of you. You have keep your chin up and keep telling yourself you can do it. Make sure you put all your effort you can into it. College years are the best years of your life. Enjoy it.

Jaclyn

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably just reassure myself. I am from Texas and had never been farther east than Arkansas, so I was quite worried about going to New York for the first time only a few days before classes started. Throughout high school, I had an admittedly terrible work ethic and was worried that I wouldn't be able to change that about myself.