Oneonta, NY

Hartwick College

« See more reviews of Hartwick College

There was nothing extra I needed to know for Hartwick specifically. But for college in general it would have been a good thing to know how difficult it is to adjust comparing life at home to life at college. Most average freshman also have a roommate they do not know. Not getting along with your roommate can cause a lot of stress that can affect your educational success. It is also difficult to plan ahead for classes because every professor has a different teaching method, then put in school and club activities the first year can be difficult.

The school is not as hands on as it advertises and they sell it as a small college, but are trying to expand it for more money. So the classes are now growing to a larger student to teacher ratio which is not what I would have originally wanted. I wanted the small classes and more time to have one on one with the professors.

This university taught me that it doesn't matter if you go to an Ivy League school for your undergraduate education or not, if you are planning to go to graduate school. What matters is your dedication and performance, particularly research, internships, and community service, if you plan on applying to graduate schools.

I wish I would have known to be in shape. The hills are a killer at first, but you gradually get used to them and they give you killer leg muscles. It's a fun campus to manuever around, particularly when you're late to class and trying to figure out the quickest way there with the least amount of stairs.

I wish i knew not to be so nervous. Everyone is in the same position in the beginning. Take all the orientation opportunites and get involved- makes it much easier to meet friends and decide which crowd/s you want to surround yourself with.

I wish I would have known that the college is a great place to be and that you shouldnt be afraid. I wish I would have known how academically liberal my college was because it make a huge difference in what you want out of life.

I wish I would've researched the college more and maybe interviewed students that weren't tour guides about how much the school actually costs and what most professors were like. But overall I am a fairly happy College student.

THE HELP I NEEDED FOR CERTAIN CLASSES AND MY GUIDANCE/SCHEDULING COUNSELOR WERE NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. TEACHERS WERE ASS HOLES ABOUT ASKING FOR HELP AND MY SCHEDULING COUNSELOR REFUSED TO HELP SCHEDULE MY CLASSES ETC. WITH ME.

I wish I had realized the money factor of coming to Hartwick and applied for more scholarships to help ease the cost of college. Everything adds up: gas, books, snacks, movies, dinners out with friends, etc.

I wish i had known it was a sports oriented school. It seems like everyone i meet is on some sort of sports team. This gives people a certain group of friends and tends to get "clicky."