Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Jazmine

Unfortunately, the stereotype of Harvard students is that we are all insanely rich and only care about securing a financially sound future. This stereotype is far from the typical Harvard student. Like any other population, we all have vastly different tastes, goals, and backgrounds. I would describe the typical Harvard student for you, but that it is an impossible task; no simple description exists for the "typical" Harvard student.

Shellonda

One of my friends said it's quite difficult to say "Harvard" and not sound pretentious. True or false? Both lol. I think the overall feel of the student body is quite humble (at least the people I encountered). Geeks? Yes!! Most people you encounter are insanely intelligent... These same people lack common sense. We're human! Oh! Harvard students love to pontificate on complex issues. Fact.

Alyssa

Harvard is a place for the independent student. No one will hold your hand through the process and you are responsible for seeking things out yourself. That being said, while this may be intimidating at first, I have absolutely grown as an individual because of it. I have more confidence in myself. In addition to building this go-getter attitude, there are incredible opportunities here to connect with the most influential people in the world. It truly is a place like no other.

There are so many types that it is difficult to characterize. You will find every type of person here.

Great. I have no complaints at all. I will preface by saying that there are only 60 people in my major so my experience might be atypical. However, I love most of my courses and find that they are incredibly stimulating. I also do not really find myself doing busy work and can see the merit in most of my assignments.

The stereotype is that the average Harvard student is socially inept and spends 16 hours a day in the library. While it is true that those types of students do exists, there are in fact people who have interests other than school work. In fact, what drew me to Harvard was the passion that students had for their extra-curriculars.

Whitney

I wish I had known how hard and different sciences are taught here from everywhere else. There is some rote memorization, but much of it is application, which I was unused to, coming from a poor public school in Arizona.

Don't be afraid to try new things. You might be afraid of wasting time with something, but you must be proactive about your future to figure out the best path for you. You will be happy no matter where you go to college if you keep this in mind. Take advantage of the opportunities in your life, and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. Take advantage of office hours for professors and don't be afraid to major in something your parents would not choose or to admit when something is too hard to do by yourself. It might sound kitschy, but the more your believe in your own success, the more doors will become open to you.

I don't brag about Harvard, as it would be seen as being too proud. Mostly, I tell others that there is an amazing collection of people at this school that they will find nowhere else.

Anna

Harvard is amazing because of the opportunities each student has the chance to take. I do think, however, that every applying student has a right to know what Harvard is really like. If you think that getting accepted was the challenge, you are sorely mistaken. There are so many opportunities at Harvard, but not one comes easily. You have to work hard to be noticed among the student body, and your success in high school is probably nothing special here. It can be exhilarating going to school with some of the brightest minds in the world, but more often than not I find myself drowning in this heaving, colorful student body of intelligence and talent. The competition is nothing you have ever encountered - it is blood red, quick, and painful, and I advise you to be very cautious about not getting too caught in it. I'm glad I chose Harvard, really, for only one reason: I'm going into business and the only way to get noticed in that career is the more prestigious the university. However, if you're looking into a different kind of career, where the name of your university doesn't make or break you, choose your second or third choice. I sometimes seriously consider transferring to my other choices, Dartmouth and Northwestern, but I can't. The competition has sucked me in too far. Good luck at Harvard.

Kellie

I like to brag about the friends and people I meet there! There are so many amazing professors, teaching fellows, tutors, and students from all over the world. And, of course, they all have done/do amazing things.

Be yourself. Yes, at first being surrounded by peers who seemingly save the world on the weekends is intimidating, but they will love you for who you are. Make sure you keep a good sleeping and exercising schedule - it will help you more than you can imagine. But, most importantly, do not stress about your grades. Although there will be a ton of pressure from competitive classmates to worry endlessly over your grades, don't. This does not mean "don't study hard" or "don't worry about homework" - you will have to put in a lot of effort to get good grades, more than high school. But once you pass in your paper or finish the exam, let it go. When you study, don't panic. If you need help, get help, and don't be afraid to admit you don't understand something. There are so many things in this world that can go wrong, but grades are one thing you have control over. So, take a deep breath, do what you got to do, and get on with life. Because college may be the best four years of your life, you need to enjoy them, too.

The social scene is dominated by "Finals Clubs" - they are like Fraternities but predate them and are much more exclusive - you must be invited in. There are female Finals Clubs but they usually don't have buildings. There is only one Fraternity that has a house and it's far away from campus, so these Finals Clubs are the only places to go sometimes on weekends. What is bad about them is that they don't allow male non-members in, so it's hard to hang out with your male friends if you plan to go out dancing.

Christopher

My classmates are driven and intelligent, although sometimes a little too caught up in their ambitions for personal success.

As someone who has been very satisfied with their college experience thus far, there are only two pieces of advice I would give to myself if I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school. Firstly, I would advise myself to focus on career opportunities, even if I am unsure about my potential major and career path. Experience in any field is better than no experience at all, and it would have been extremely beneficial to dive headfirst into an internship and develop a strong work ethic in the summer before I went off to Harvard. Secondly, I would stress the importance of trying new things in terms of extra curricular activities. While I am proud of the immense impact I've had on one major student organization on campus, it would have been even more gratifying (and educational) to take on smaller roles in other different types of organizations. Not only would I meet new people with different interests and talents, but I also would gain essential knowledge in fields I am not as skilled in.

The career opportunities it provides, as well as the reputable professors that teach courses there. The diversity of the student body and its worldwide reputation are notable as well.

Reuben

It is not a s bad as you would think the most important part is to save as much money as possible and not to stress out to much because if you have determination it will all work out in the end.

Esther

Being the best school in the world.

Being the best school in the world.

Everything you're worried about now won't matter one year down the road. Really enjoy senior year, but honestly college is the best 4 years of your life. Get ready to have an amazing time!

Nikhat

Harvard is full of opportunities, and its greatest treasure is truly the students, faculty and rest of the community that make it up.

College is the time to lose yourself and find who you are, try something new and fail, and form lifelong relationships. Living in a dorm with three people I'd never met before was a chance to reinvent myself and the rules I wished to respect. I made dozens of choices daily that were inconsequential but added up to a lifestyle. I messed up in some respects (letting physics take over and ignoring my messy room) but got other things right (visiting office hours and finding new ways to study). College is a low-risk arena to live life the way you want and adjust your attitude and actions based on the responses you get. However, college is also "the real world." The clock's ticking, and our (bad) impressions on people won't be erased. College is a marathon. The training you've done makes a tremendous difference, and if you don't keep running after knowledge, you'll lose the glorious 26 miles you've already covered. Ahe words of others via iPod or present company help me go the extra mile that's a part of college campus people have access to but don't necessarily use.

You're surrounded by brilliance and ambition and energy, but you can find whatever it is you're looking for in a person. Everyone is crazy smart and motivated, which gets you motivated, but we're all still "normal" college kids, and take that seriously as we goof around.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.