Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Esther

Being the best school in the world.

Being the best school in the world.

Everything you're worried about now won't matter one year down the road. Really enjoy senior year, but honestly college is the best 4 years of your life. Get ready to have an amazing time!

Nikhat

Harvard is full of opportunities, and its greatest treasure is truly the students, faculty and rest of the community that make it up.

College is the time to lose yourself and find who you are, try something new and fail, and form lifelong relationships. Living in a dorm with three people I'd never met before was a chance to reinvent myself and the rules I wished to respect. I made dozens of choices daily that were inconsequential but added up to a lifestyle. I messed up in some respects (letting physics take over and ignoring my messy room) but got other things right (visiting office hours and finding new ways to study). College is a low-risk arena to live life the way you want and adjust your attitude and actions based on the responses you get. However, college is also "the real world." The clock's ticking, and our (bad) impressions on people won't be erased. College is a marathon. The training you've done makes a tremendous difference, and if you don't keep running after knowledge, you'll lose the glorious 26 miles you've already covered. Ahe words of others via iPod or present company help me go the extra mile that's a part of college campus people have access to but don't necessarily use.

You're surrounded by brilliance and ambition and energy, but you can find whatever it is you're looking for in a person. Everyone is crazy smart and motivated, which gets you motivated, but we're all still "normal" college kids, and take that seriously as we goof around.

Melody

When people think of Harvard, the first thing that comes to mind is the stellar academic reputation. Harvard, however, is much more than that. It has a great financial aid program, which means that everyone who is accepted can attend. Not only does Harvard liberally fund the academics, but it also throws money at "fun" student activities so everyone can make the best of their college experience. The school community is pretty warm ~ if you need help, it's only one step or phonecall away. Most importantly, the Harvard name provides somewhat of a safety net when you graduate.

I attended a small high school, and so when I finally arrived at high school, it's fair to say that my world exploded. I have taken classes on subjects I've never explored before, including Japanese History, and all the classroom experiences have led me to consider a concentration in East Asian Studies. I've also learned what true dedication is. College is different in that you focus only on a few clubs, and for me, it's kendo and the Taiwanese Cultural Society. In both, I've decided to step up to the plate and undertake responsibilities as, respectively, equipment manager and educational chair. In addition, I've started creating connections with students, professors, and alumni that I'm sure will be of great benefit in the years to come. Since I've learned to reach out more, I've gotten so much excellent advice on everything from internships to science. I surround myself with kind, intelligent, and successful people, and because of that, I'm starting to change for the better. Finally, college has encouraged me to take better care of myself, since I've truly realized that a healthy body and mind is best for success.

Harvard is great for open-minded students who are willing to explore the myriad of opportunities available, whether in classrooms or in club settings. There are so many resources at hand, but it takes someone who is willing to reach out first to take full advantage of them. While Harvard ranks number one in many aspects, one of the most important ones is the network: connect with classmates, professors, advisors, alumni, etc. and you will find that having a Harvard support system makes your life so much easier.

Harvard has the most diverse student body. Students come from every background. This includes variety in home state, home country, ethnic origins, socioeconomic backgrounds, religion, hobbies and interests. Thus, learning never stops at the classrooms and lecture halls here; you are constantly learning from the poeple around you. Academically, Harvard offers courses that expand your mind to all areas of the subject. This really is the ultimate educational experience. Not only are they cross-disciplanary and comprehensive, they are also taught by the masters in the field--the best in the world. Thus, they really stir enthusiasm in the subject.

My first semester at college allowed me to take independence to the next level as I chose from endless courses, making decisions based on my interests. The faculty is amazing--my life sciences professor created the famous animation, "Inner Life of a Cell," and pioneers modern day biochemistry. My global health class, in addition to being taught by Dr. Paul Farmer (founder of Partners in Health) and Prof. Arthur Kleinman (scholar in caregiving), invited some of the biggest names in healthcare to speak in lecture. And the best part of it all is that they care so much about undergraduate students (contrary to the Harvard stereotype) that they are constantly willing to discuss and share with their students. During the semester, I worked with my classmates and peers. I have become involved with the Harvard Pops Orchestra and Parliamentary Debate. As a result of this, I have become close with members of the most diverse student body imaginable. Not only are they from every racial, geographical, religious, and socioeconomic background possible, but they also have such a wide variety of interests. Altogether, I have made memorable connections with so many interesting and talented people, both in and out of class.

I wish I had known that in order to be successful in your classes, you must work in teams. The workload is very heavy and the expectations are very high mainly because of the caliber of most of the students here. This requires working together on problem sets and readings. This also requires making sure you stay on top of the material as it comes to avoid having to cram near exams. The common misconception that Harvard professors are uncaring about undergraduates is false. The opposite is true, and you should seek help from your professors as often as possible.

Abigail

Come for the diverse urban environment, unparalleled resources, and world-renowned staff, but know that students have high expectations of one another; you will have a good experience at Harvard if you come in knowing what your goals and interests are.

Harvard is definitely the most culturally and intellectually diverse of the Ivies and other schools of similar quality. Admittedly, that's not staying much. Still, the quality of students' thought here is incredible, and at least once a week I feel that I've had one of the best intellectual discussions of my life.

It has been a privilege to attend Harvard, primarily because of the intellectual discourse between students, which is unlike any I've experienced in my life. Thinking deeply about ideas isn't just a pasttime here--it's a social requirement. I have enjoyed interacting with my peers in both social and leadership settings; as president of Tuesday Magazine, the College's only general interest publication, I've learned how to manage and interact with people in ways both personally and professionally enriching. Volunteering with the Harvard College Democrats has introduced me to some of the most socially aware and active citizens I've ever met, and has allowed me to interact with the community in Boston and elsewhere. Still, the best part of attending Harvard is what it's famous for--its world-famous staff, who are uniformly engaging and happy to interact with students.

Akshay

Interesting, smart, and talented in exceptional ways.

Interesting, smart, and talented in exceptional ways.

When I started attending school, I was skeptical ? was it really worth $40,000 a year? After my first useless meeting with my ?advisor,? and my first 300-person class with a professor who could write books but not teach, my doubts became very real. Those doubts were never corrected ? my academic advising during school was non-existent, and I spent most of my time in anonymously large classes. But that was never the point. Ironically, it was not my college, but rather my classmates who defined my college experience. Surrounded by their talent and motivation, I was inspired to overachieve. Their support and instruction as we struggled through an intense workload taught me more than many professors. And, most importantly, our shared experiences as we grew together into adulthood connect us for life. College gave me many opportunities ? some spectacular professors who revolutionized my perspectives, post-graduate opportunities I never considered that have enriched my professional development, and incredible staff and support resources to help me navigate a new life away from home. But it was my classmates that were truly worth the thousands of dollars, an investment in permanent friends and colleagues with priceless dividends.

Learning and being around my classmates, because they are interesting, smart, and talented in exceptional ways.

Vanessa

Limited resources for struggling students. This is the worst thing because this allows some students fall through the cracks...

Hi Vanessa. I see that you notice the resemblance. I?m you, me, five years in the future. I?ll prove it, at nine you developed you first crush on a boy named Sergio. He was dreamy. (sigh) I?m here because we?re, I mean, you are going off to college soon. I remember how nervous and genuinely concern I was at times. Your biggest questions at the moment are, will I succeed academically? Did I make the right college choice? For the first question I rather you find out on your own. As for the second question, in addressing it, I can give you the best advice I could possibly give us. There is no such thing as a right college choice, that would imply perfection exists, and there is not such thing. With that in mind, you won?t be perfect either. You are going to find yourself making a lot of mistakes throughout college. My advice, take each mistake as an opportunity to learn and grow as a person. After all, mistakes are a part of life; it?s from making them that we learn how to make things right. Lastly and above all, enjoy it!

Limited resources for struggling students.

Sujay

Harvard University is a community where champions collaborate on the future of innovation, leaders share ideas, and everyday students enjoy themselves in an unparalleled academic setting.

In college, the depth and rigor of courseload is far beyond anything experienced in high school. Pick two subjects/classes, at least, during your senior year of high school and go far beyond anything that is taught in class. Buy a different textbook for that class and challenge yourself to get through it and do the problems after each chapter. You will be extremely prepared to develop a schedule and plan of attack for your course material once you actually reach college if you do this--putting you at a big advantage academically and socially!

The resources available at my school are priceless--from summer opportunities to research experiences, anything that a student could want to explore is covered here. It is all about seeking out those resources.

Rui

I would try to convince my high school self that time goes by too fast when you are having fun. Of course, there will be plenty of stressful days, when papers and several midterms will be during the same week, or when all of my final exams end up on consecutive days. But I should look forward to meeting some really fascinating people, friends who will change my life, mentors who will open my mind. I will confide in my high school self that living with roommates will be one of the best things that will happen to me in college. It will give me the chance to experience what I have been missing by not having a sibling or cousin my age. I will tell my younger self to embrace all the challenges of college life, because when I get back to the dorm, there will be something uniquely amazing about having someone to talk and laugh with, whether in the middle of a long paper, on the way to breakfast, or late at night. Most of all, I will ask my younger self to open my heart and mind wide open for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

There is always a pressure to be busy or appear busy. Everyone is involved in way too many things, volunteering, working, doing research, etc. The competition is fierce on the extracurricular involvement.

College life is incomprehensible if you lack the experience for yourself. My experience at school has been one of innovation. The passion that inhabits every one of us will be extracted through the expression of your work. We need to be challenged in our thought, and the professors that will stand in front of each classroom are eager to participate in creatively instructing you to think objectively. Your professors are incredibly talented individuals. They pride themselves in the topic that they have devoted their lives to teach. Be advantageous when you have an urge to ask your professors questions in class and in personal meetings. Inquiry should never be thwarted by your apprehension and fear of being viewed as ignorant. Professors are thrilled when young minds are curious about their ignorance. Delve into class discussion without remorse. Surround yourself with competent peers because encouragement from those who have a drive to succeed will prove to be crucial in the development of confidence! Unlike your high school companions, you will be elated to find men and women that are attending to focus on their goals. These will be the friends that you keep for the rest of your life.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.