Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Sujay

Harvard University is a community where champions collaborate on the future of innovation, leaders share ideas, and everyday students enjoy themselves in an unparalleled academic setting.

In college, the depth and rigor of courseload is far beyond anything experienced in high school. Pick two subjects/classes, at least, during your senior year of high school and go far beyond anything that is taught in class. Buy a different textbook for that class and challenge yourself to get through it and do the problems after each chapter. You will be extremely prepared to develop a schedule and plan of attack for your course material once you actually reach college if you do this--putting you at a big advantage academically and socially!

The resources available at my school are priceless--from summer opportunities to research experiences, anything that a student could want to explore is covered here. It is all about seeking out those resources.

Rui

I would try to convince my high school self that time goes by too fast when you are having fun. Of course, there will be plenty of stressful days, when papers and several midterms will be during the same week, or when all of my final exams end up on consecutive days. But I should look forward to meeting some really fascinating people, friends who will change my life, mentors who will open my mind. I will confide in my high school self that living with roommates will be one of the best things that will happen to me in college. It will give me the chance to experience what I have been missing by not having a sibling or cousin my age. I will tell my younger self to embrace all the challenges of college life, because when I get back to the dorm, there will be something uniquely amazing about having someone to talk and laugh with, whether in the middle of a long paper, on the way to breakfast, or late at night. Most of all, I will ask my younger self to open my heart and mind wide open for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

There is always a pressure to be busy or appear busy. Everyone is involved in way too many things, volunteering, working, doing research, etc. The competition is fierce on the extracurricular involvement.

College life is incomprehensible if you lack the experience for yourself. My experience at school has been one of innovation. The passion that inhabits every one of us will be extracted through the expression of your work. We need to be challenged in our thought, and the professors that will stand in front of each classroom are eager to participate in creatively instructing you to think objectively. Your professors are incredibly talented individuals. They pride themselves in the topic that they have devoted their lives to teach. Be advantageous when you have an urge to ask your professors questions in class and in personal meetings. Inquiry should never be thwarted by your apprehension and fear of being viewed as ignorant. Professors are thrilled when young minds are curious about their ignorance. Delve into class discussion without remorse. Surround yourself with competent peers because encouragement from those who have a drive to succeed will prove to be crucial in the development of confidence! Unlike your high school companions, you will be elated to find men and women that are attending to focus on their goals. These will be the friends that you keep for the rest of your life.

Ruy

It's Harvard... .the word says it all.

It's Harvard... .the word says it all.

The clock keeps ticking and one does not get any younger. Work hard during the early years of your life and you will be able to enjoy the benefits for the rest of your life. Take every class and every assignment seriously. Your GPA builds up, start strong! Live up to your own expectations. Friends from your college years will remain your friends for life. Make a difference in someone else's life. Contribute to your community and well-being of its population. Have patience with those who are only taking space on the planet without contributing to humanity, and help them become something . Start your semester having already completed your reading assignments for the first four weeks. Stay focused and enjoy life.

Cristina

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a senior about college life and about making this transition, I would tell myself to sign up for college as soon as possible. Sometimes you dont expect college schools to start registering at least three months before classes actually start, if you wait too long, that boat is going to set sail with or without you. Also I would let myself know that it is never too soon to start applying for scholarships, there are so many out there that your bound to get accepted by one. Even if the scholarship is only offering $50 dollars or even $10 dollars, it still counts because that money is not coming out of your own pocket. I made the mistake of waiting too long, but I will not make the mistake in pursuing what I want to excell in. If I could go back in time I would let myself know all I know now.

J.L.

Harvard University is best known for molding brillant minds into future leaders.

The first time I entered college I was 18 and eager to leave home and find my independence. At that time, I did not realize the true importance of focusing on my studies. In short I quickly became a party animal and just as quickly flunked out of school. The second time I entered college I was a 25 year old single parent who was climbing up the corporate ladder. Once again I entered the academic world unprepared and unfocused. Fortunately I received good grades but I ended up dropping out because the constraints of working and raising a child were overwhelming. Now at 46, I am stepping onto the college campus again. This time I am more prepared that ever because of the skills I have acquired over the years. A successful college career requires a balanced approach which includes discipline, self motivation, and intellectual curiosity mixed with the desire to have fun.

The person that attends Harvard University should have an incredible thirst for knowledge, a high capacity to absorb information and be disciplined about their academic pursuits.

Luke

Harvard is a place that draws you into the midst of the best students and professors from around the world in order to inspire you, expand you, and even push you a little bit.

I wish I had known that everyone does not, in fact, talk about politics all the time and that people do, in fact share many, many interests with me ? it would have saved me no small amount of anxiety. I also wish I had known more clearly how to prepare myself for the new, improved methods of work and study I would have to develop.

My first advice to my senior self would be this: don?t worry so much ? instead, channel all nervousness into realistic preparation and hard work. Some worries about college life, relating to such aspects as workload required and extracurriculars offered, need to be addressed as legitimate concerns, but the response should be purposeful study and active advice-seeking from knowledgeable sources rather than needlessly feeding anxieties. Another tip I would give myself: people you meet won't fit in the boxes you?ve created for them. While I may have thought that I would have to know everything there is to know about politics or pop culture in order to have a decent conversation with my worldly-wise college friends, my fear was unfounded. I've found that my peers are not only more well-rounded and diverse than I gave them credit for but also just as eager to make friends as I am, relieving much of the pressure I felt. Lastly, I would give myself the encouragement that college life is what I make of it. I have the great opportunity to solidify and expand my interests and to join (or create) groups of friends who share them.

Belinda

What's unique about Harvard is each incoming class is purposely created to be as diverse as possible. Everyone has a different background, religion, experiences, gifts, etc. This is a place where people are not only free to be who they are and share their values, they are strongly encouraged to bring their own stories and make Harvard their own. Education does not only take place in the classroom, but occurs every minute in the hallways, on the streets, and in the dining halls. Not only do students graduate with a diploma, they identify themselves as Harvardians for life.

In high school, my biggest goal was to get straight A's and be accepted to Harvard. I worked really hard and it was definitely worth it. However, now that I'm at college, I realize that college is about getting an education, but not necessarily just the education in textbooks. The best memories I have of high school don't include the awards I've won, but the moments I spent with my friends and enjoying the funny, quirky moments in classes. So the advice I would give is this: don't worry so much about being perfect. Yes, work hard this last year, but if you don't enjoy the last few moments of high school, you can't ever get them back. Talk to people you never have before; get to know your teachers better; spend time with your friends. College is about being open to new experiences and finding who you are by learning from your peers. Try coming out of your comfort zone, for college is about shaking up the world you used to know. The change will be scary, but the next four years will be the most exhilarating ride of your life.

The worst thing is not pressure from others, but internal pressure to do well. Everyone is at this school for a reason; every person is smart, talented, and has made a contribution in some area. Students have to adjust from being at the top in high school to being "average" and challenging themselves in new ways to stay on par with everyone else. It's very stressful at times. Another challenge is there are so many opportunities so it's difficult to choose a certain thing to do or one's major.

Alyssa

Harvard is best known for...its name! People from all over the world just know Harvard is one of the "best schools", yet know little about what that actually means, or, what it is like to actually be a student there. It is true that many of my professors write the books for the classes we take, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are getting the best educaton and learning most effectively.

At Harvard, it can be quite emotionally taxing finding friends who care more about interpersonal relationships than their problem sets. Even my closest friends are so overwhelmed with work that we often have to schedule time to "hang out".

Though I have no regrets about the college trajectory I am currently following, I would advise all high school students to enter college with an open mind. And open mind to making friends, joining clubs, selecting a major, and picking classes. Don?t be afraid to stray from your initial friend group and join the chess club or an environmental group- you?ll meet really interesting and diverse people and be a better person because of it. Stay active with your body by joining intermurals or a club sports team. But most importantly, stay open-minded! The most valuable thing I have learned throughout my first three years at Harvard is to be well rounded. Don?t let yourself get too caught up in one activity or class because there is so much in the world to try and experience. College is an incredible opportunity for young adults to dabble in everything and anything and high school-ers about to enter, should definitely be taking full advantage of it!

Harvard is best known for the strength of its academic departments as well as its world-renowned faculty. The student-body is diverse and well-accomplished. The campus itself is beautiful, with a storied history, and the university is located just a subway ride away from a major American city.

Just one piece of advice: Take economics. In economics I would have learned that the opportunity cost of something is what you have to give up to get it. And I would have realized that for many of the choices I made in high school--spending every night studying for exams, or eking out points on an assignment--the opportunity cost was much too high. Sure, grades are important. But after my first semester at a school where practically everyone graduated as valedictorian, I realize the true value of high school isn't the preservation of the precious 4.0 but rather the opportunity to make human connections and become comfortable interacting with others. Whether I?m interviewing for internships, making new friends, or working up the courage to visit my professor during office hours, I find myself wishing I had spent more time in high school getting to know people: talking with teachers and mentors, volunteering in my community, or even going to parties occasionally--anything to escape the stereotype of the bookish, reclusive intellectual. Studying cannot compensate for the importance of being confident and sociable; forgoing the opportunity to connect with others is simply not worth the cost.

Students at Harvard have to be independent, self-motivated, and willing to actively pursue all the opportunities available on campus. They should have a sense of direction in life, both in terms of their college major and their career goals. Prospective students should develop strong leadership skills in high school.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.