Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Ruy

It's Harvard... .the word says it all.

It's Harvard... .the word says it all.

The clock keeps ticking and one does not get any younger. Work hard during the early years of your life and you will be able to enjoy the benefits for the rest of your life. Take every class and every assignment seriously. Your GPA builds up, start strong! Live up to your own expectations. Friends from your college years will remain your friends for life. Make a difference in someone else's life. Contribute to your community and well-being of its population. Have patience with those who are only taking space on the planet without contributing to humanity, and help them become something . Start your semester having already completed your reading assignments for the first four weeks. Stay focused and enjoy life.

Cristina

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a senior about college life and about making this transition, I would tell myself to sign up for college as soon as possible. Sometimes you dont expect college schools to start registering at least three months before classes actually start, if you wait too long, that boat is going to set sail with or without you. Also I would let myself know that it is never too soon to start applying for scholarships, there are so many out there that your bound to get accepted by one. Even if the scholarship is only offering $50 dollars or even $10 dollars, it still counts because that money is not coming out of your own pocket. I made the mistake of waiting too long, but I will not make the mistake in pursuing what I want to excell in. If I could go back in time I would let myself know all I know now.

J.L.

Harvard University is best known for molding brillant minds into future leaders.

The first time I entered college I was 18 and eager to leave home and find my independence. At that time, I did not realize the true importance of focusing on my studies. In short I quickly became a party animal and just as quickly flunked out of school. The second time I entered college I was a 25 year old single parent who was climbing up the corporate ladder. Once again I entered the academic world unprepared and unfocused. Fortunately I received good grades but I ended up dropping out because the constraints of working and raising a child were overwhelming. Now at 46, I am stepping onto the college campus again. This time I am more prepared that ever because of the skills I have acquired over the years. A successful college career requires a balanced approach which includes discipline, self motivation, and intellectual curiosity mixed with the desire to have fun.

The person that attends Harvard University should have an incredible thirst for knowledge, a high capacity to absorb information and be disciplined about their academic pursuits.

Luke

Harvard is a place that draws you into the midst of the best students and professors from around the world in order to inspire you, expand you, and even push you a little bit.

I wish I had known that everyone does not, in fact, talk about politics all the time and that people do, in fact share many, many interests with me ? it would have saved me no small amount of anxiety. I also wish I had known more clearly how to prepare myself for the new, improved methods of work and study I would have to develop.

My first advice to my senior self would be this: don?t worry so much ? instead, channel all nervousness into realistic preparation and hard work. Some worries about college life, relating to such aspects as workload required and extracurriculars offered, need to be addressed as legitimate concerns, but the response should be purposeful study and active advice-seeking from knowledgeable sources rather than needlessly feeding anxieties. Another tip I would give myself: people you meet won't fit in the boxes you?ve created for them. While I may have thought that I would have to know everything there is to know about politics or pop culture in order to have a decent conversation with my worldly-wise college friends, my fear was unfounded. I've found that my peers are not only more well-rounded and diverse than I gave them credit for but also just as eager to make friends as I am, relieving much of the pressure I felt. Lastly, I would give myself the encouragement that college life is what I make of it. I have the great opportunity to solidify and expand my interests and to join (or create) groups of friends who share them.

Belinda

What's unique about Harvard is each incoming class is purposely created to be as diverse as possible. Everyone has a different background, religion, experiences, gifts, etc. This is a place where people are not only free to be who they are and share their values, they are strongly encouraged to bring their own stories and make Harvard their own. Education does not only take place in the classroom, but occurs every minute in the hallways, on the streets, and in the dining halls. Not only do students graduate with a diploma, they identify themselves as Harvardians for life.

In high school, my biggest goal was to get straight A's and be accepted to Harvard. I worked really hard and it was definitely worth it. However, now that I'm at college, I realize that college is about getting an education, but not necessarily just the education in textbooks. The best memories I have of high school don't include the awards I've won, but the moments I spent with my friends and enjoying the funny, quirky moments in classes. So the advice I would give is this: don't worry so much about being perfect. Yes, work hard this last year, but if you don't enjoy the last few moments of high school, you can't ever get them back. Talk to people you never have before; get to know your teachers better; spend time with your friends. College is about being open to new experiences and finding who you are by learning from your peers. Try coming out of your comfort zone, for college is about shaking up the world you used to know. The change will be scary, but the next four years will be the most exhilarating ride of your life.

The worst thing is not pressure from others, but internal pressure to do well. Everyone is at this school for a reason; every person is smart, talented, and has made a contribution in some area. Students have to adjust from being at the top in high school to being "average" and challenging themselves in new ways to stay on par with everyone else. It's very stressful at times. Another challenge is there are so many opportunities so it's difficult to choose a certain thing to do or one's major.

Alyssa

Harvard is best known for...its name! People from all over the world just know Harvard is one of the "best schools", yet know little about what that actually means, or, what it is like to actually be a student there. It is true that many of my professors write the books for the classes we take, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are getting the best educaton and learning most effectively.

At Harvard, it can be quite emotionally taxing finding friends who care more about interpersonal relationships than their problem sets. Even my closest friends are so overwhelmed with work that we often have to schedule time to "hang out".

Though I have no regrets about the college trajectory I am currently following, I would advise all high school students to enter college with an open mind. And open mind to making friends, joining clubs, selecting a major, and picking classes. Don?t be afraid to stray from your initial friend group and join the chess club or an environmental group- you?ll meet really interesting and diverse people and be a better person because of it. Stay active with your body by joining intermurals or a club sports team. But most importantly, stay open-minded! The most valuable thing I have learned throughout my first three years at Harvard is to be well rounded. Don?t let yourself get too caught up in one activity or class because there is so much in the world to try and experience. College is an incredible opportunity for young adults to dabble in everything and anything and high school-ers about to enter, should definitely be taking full advantage of it!

Harvard is best known for the strength of its academic departments as well as its world-renowned faculty. The student-body is diverse and well-accomplished. The campus itself is beautiful, with a storied history, and the university is located just a subway ride away from a major American city.

Just one piece of advice: Take economics. In economics I would have learned that the opportunity cost of something is what you have to give up to get it. And I would have realized that for many of the choices I made in high school--spending every night studying for exams, or eking out points on an assignment--the opportunity cost was much too high. Sure, grades are important. But after my first semester at a school where practically everyone graduated as valedictorian, I realize the true value of high school isn't the preservation of the precious 4.0 but rather the opportunity to make human connections and become comfortable interacting with others. Whether I?m interviewing for internships, making new friends, or working up the courage to visit my professor during office hours, I find myself wishing I had spent more time in high school getting to know people: talking with teachers and mentors, volunteering in my community, or even going to parties occasionally--anything to escape the stereotype of the bookish, reclusive intellectual. Studying cannot compensate for the importance of being confident and sociable; forgoing the opportunity to connect with others is simply not worth the cost.

Students at Harvard have to be independent, self-motivated, and willing to actively pursue all the opportunities available on campus. They should have a sense of direction in life, both in terms of their college major and their career goals. Prospective students should develop strong leadership skills in high school.

Judith

My school is best known for thier great instructors as well as being very afforadable.

I tell everyone about the convenience of Columbus State. They have everything to meet your busy schedule. The instructors there are great, Not to mention it is a very affordable school. I also tell them if they are interested in pursuing Nursing, they have a great program.

If i could go back in time to my high school days i would tell my self to pursue college when I graduated. I think the main reason why I never went to college after high school is because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. This is only my second quarter and I really wish I would have not waited for so long to follow my dreams. I realize now that with a alot of hard work and determination I can do anything.

Gina

Harvard is best known for its ranking. It is known for attracting the number one students of the nation. And in a way, this is so; I have met extremely intelligent peers while attending Harvard and have been awed by the work ethic my classmates posses (two things I lack and so I tend to notice). Harvard is also known for their lacking football team, their amazingly spacious dorms, their great endowments, their beautiful buildings filled with so much history, and their fair share of famous alumni.

Dear Self, As a college student, I have some important advice. Read carefully. Open up. This includes peers AND (gasp) elders. Though it seems unlikely, professors do generally enjoy talking to their students. And though it's intimidating the first few times, I guarantee that you will not only get your money's worth (college isn't free), you will also gain important advice not obtained anywhere else. And talk to your classmates! Your experience will be so much greater if you make friends. Don't be scared; take initiative. Smile. Chances are some of them will grow up to be famous, and you can tell your grandchildren how you knew them or at least smiled at them once. Nothing is handed to you. College is filled with MILLIONS of opportunities at your fingertips, but YOU have to take advantage of them. Ask around for research opportunites; shop extracurriculars on your own. Choose your major based on interest, not job prospects. You will be so much happier if you do. Many successful people have great jobs with seemingly unprofitable majors. And lastly eat. Don't worry about the Freshmen Fifteen. I think it's a myth. Sincerely, Gina

Contrary to popular belief, Harvard is not the home of pompous elitists. As a member of the low class, I was scared of these sterotypes, but not yet have I met the "typical" pretentious Harvardite. Instead, Harvard is best for those that love to learn, that have a variety of talents, and that are undecided of what career path to take. Since it is a liberal arts college, students must dabble in a variety of subjects and discover their intended major through a full-rounded curriculum. Also, its advising is top notch for the confused, so it welcomes the undecided.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.