Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Luke

Harvard is a place that draws you into the midst of the best students and professors from around the world in order to inspire you, expand you, and even push you a little bit.

I wish I had known that everyone does not, in fact, talk about politics all the time and that people do, in fact share many, many interests with me ? it would have saved me no small amount of anxiety. I also wish I had known more clearly how to prepare myself for the new, improved methods of work and study I would have to develop.

My first advice to my senior self would be this: don?t worry so much ? instead, channel all nervousness into realistic preparation and hard work. Some worries about college life, relating to such aspects as workload required and extracurriculars offered, need to be addressed as legitimate concerns, but the response should be purposeful study and active advice-seeking from knowledgeable sources rather than needlessly feeding anxieties. Another tip I would give myself: people you meet won't fit in the boxes you?ve created for them. While I may have thought that I would have to know everything there is to know about politics or pop culture in order to have a decent conversation with my worldly-wise college friends, my fear was unfounded. I've found that my peers are not only more well-rounded and diverse than I gave them credit for but also just as eager to make friends as I am, relieving much of the pressure I felt. Lastly, I would give myself the encouragement that college life is what I make of it. I have the great opportunity to solidify and expand my interests and to join (or create) groups of friends who share them.

Belinda

What's unique about Harvard is each incoming class is purposely created to be as diverse as possible. Everyone has a different background, religion, experiences, gifts, etc. This is a place where people are not only free to be who they are and share their values, they are strongly encouraged to bring their own stories and make Harvard their own. Education does not only take place in the classroom, but occurs every minute in the hallways, on the streets, and in the dining halls. Not only do students graduate with a diploma, they identify themselves as Harvardians for life.

In high school, my biggest goal was to get straight A's and be accepted to Harvard. I worked really hard and it was definitely worth it. However, now that I'm at college, I realize that college is about getting an education, but not necessarily just the education in textbooks. The best memories I have of high school don't include the awards I've won, but the moments I spent with my friends and enjoying the funny, quirky moments in classes. So the advice I would give is this: don't worry so much about being perfect. Yes, work hard this last year, but if you don't enjoy the last few moments of high school, you can't ever get them back. Talk to people you never have before; get to know your teachers better; spend time with your friends. College is about being open to new experiences and finding who you are by learning from your peers. Try coming out of your comfort zone, for college is about shaking up the world you used to know. The change will be scary, but the next four years will be the most exhilarating ride of your life.

The worst thing is not pressure from others, but internal pressure to do well. Everyone is at this school for a reason; every person is smart, talented, and has made a contribution in some area. Students have to adjust from being at the top in high school to being "average" and challenging themselves in new ways to stay on par with everyone else. It's very stressful at times. Another challenge is there are so many opportunities so it's difficult to choose a certain thing to do or one's major.

Alyssa

Harvard is best known for...its name! People from all over the world just know Harvard is one of the "best schools", yet know little about what that actually means, or, what it is like to actually be a student there. It is true that many of my professors write the books for the classes we take, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are getting the best educaton and learning most effectively.

At Harvard, it can be quite emotionally taxing finding friends who care more about interpersonal relationships than their problem sets. Even my closest friends are so overwhelmed with work that we often have to schedule time to "hang out".

Though I have no regrets about the college trajectory I am currently following, I would advise all high school students to enter college with an open mind. And open mind to making friends, joining clubs, selecting a major, and picking classes. Don?t be afraid to stray from your initial friend group and join the chess club or an environmental group- you?ll meet really interesting and diverse people and be a better person because of it. Stay active with your body by joining intermurals or a club sports team. But most importantly, stay open-minded! The most valuable thing I have learned throughout my first three years at Harvard is to be well rounded. Don?t let yourself get too caught up in one activity or class because there is so much in the world to try and experience. College is an incredible opportunity for young adults to dabble in everything and anything and high school-ers about to enter, should definitely be taking full advantage of it!

Harvard is best known for the strength of its academic departments as well as its world-renowned faculty. The student-body is diverse and well-accomplished. The campus itself is beautiful, with a storied history, and the university is located just a subway ride away from a major American city.

Just one piece of advice: Take economics. In economics I would have learned that the opportunity cost of something is what you have to give up to get it. And I would have realized that for many of the choices I made in high school--spending every night studying for exams, or eking out points on an assignment--the opportunity cost was much too high. Sure, grades are important. But after my first semester at a school where practically everyone graduated as valedictorian, I realize the true value of high school isn't the preservation of the precious 4.0 but rather the opportunity to make human connections and become comfortable interacting with others. Whether I?m interviewing for internships, making new friends, or working up the courage to visit my professor during office hours, I find myself wishing I had spent more time in high school getting to know people: talking with teachers and mentors, volunteering in my community, or even going to parties occasionally--anything to escape the stereotype of the bookish, reclusive intellectual. Studying cannot compensate for the importance of being confident and sociable; forgoing the opportunity to connect with others is simply not worth the cost.

Students at Harvard have to be independent, self-motivated, and willing to actively pursue all the opportunities available on campus. They should have a sense of direction in life, both in terms of their college major and their career goals. Prospective students should develop strong leadership skills in high school.

Judith

My school is best known for thier great instructors as well as being very afforadable.

I tell everyone about the convenience of Columbus State. They have everything to meet your busy schedule. The instructors there are great, Not to mention it is a very affordable school. I also tell them if they are interested in pursuing Nursing, they have a great program.

If i could go back in time to my high school days i would tell my self to pursue college when I graduated. I think the main reason why I never went to college after high school is because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. This is only my second quarter and I really wish I would have not waited for so long to follow my dreams. I realize now that with a alot of hard work and determination I can do anything.

Gina

Harvard is best known for its ranking. It is known for attracting the number one students of the nation. And in a way, this is so; I have met extremely intelligent peers while attending Harvard and have been awed by the work ethic my classmates posses (two things I lack and so I tend to notice). Harvard is also known for their lacking football team, their amazingly spacious dorms, their great endowments, their beautiful buildings filled with so much history, and their fair share of famous alumni.

Dear Self, As a college student, I have some important advice. Read carefully. Open up. This includes peers AND (gasp) elders. Though it seems unlikely, professors do generally enjoy talking to their students. And though it's intimidating the first few times, I guarantee that you will not only get your money's worth (college isn't free), you will also gain important advice not obtained anywhere else. And talk to your classmates! Your experience will be so much greater if you make friends. Don't be scared; take initiative. Smile. Chances are some of them will grow up to be famous, and you can tell your grandchildren how you knew them or at least smiled at them once. Nothing is handed to you. College is filled with MILLIONS of opportunities at your fingertips, but YOU have to take advantage of them. Ask around for research opportunites; shop extracurriculars on your own. Choose your major based on interest, not job prospects. You will be so much happier if you do. Many successful people have great jobs with seemingly unprofitable majors. And lastly eat. Don't worry about the Freshmen Fifteen. I think it's a myth. Sincerely, Gina

Contrary to popular belief, Harvard is not the home of pompous elitists. As a member of the low class, I was scared of these sterotypes, but not yet have I met the "typical" pretentious Harvardite. Instead, Harvard is best for those that love to learn, that have a variety of talents, and that are undecided of what career path to take. Since it is a liberal arts college, students must dabble in a variety of subjects and discover their intended major through a full-rounded curriculum. Also, its advising is top notch for the confused, so it welcomes the undecided.

Karen

There is considerable competition for grades. The beaurocracy is sometimes tedious when trying to get things done and the school is slow to adapt to a change academic landscape.

Try to separate the school itself from the name. Ask yourself instead, do I want to live in a city or more suburban setting? Do I want more guidance or do I enjoy the freedom to seek out those things which interest me? Am I good at juggling activities along with a considerable amount of school work? Am I excited to take advantage of the many resources available at this school? Do I feel comortable seeking help when I don't understand material or require guidance of some sort? If you like a fast-paced, high powered academic environment and are self- motivated then Harvard is the place for you.

If you are not self -motivated or have trouble organizing a fair amount of work and extracurricular activities, then Harvard will be a challenge.

Michele

Meet my five suite-mates: Hilary, a die-hard ice hockey player from Minnesota; Gaga, our resident step dancer from Maryland with a touch of medical research experience on the side; Anna, an American who has spent most of her life in Japan and wakes up before six to run more miles than I can count; Sofia, a Chinese-Canadian artist who speaks French fluently and can draw a flawless portrait of Johnny Depp; and Natalie, our southern belle from Memphis who constructed a giant turkey out of soup cans to benefit the homeless. You can't beat that.

Dearest Grasshopper, Take a deep breath and relax, for you have chosen well. These past few months at college have been some of the best of your life so far - but not for the reasons you anticipated. No, it is not the thousands of classes advertised in the course catalog you skimmed incessantly or the low student-to-faculty ratio you calculated. It is not the career path you have chosen or the calculus class you passed. Instead, it is the roommates you laugh with late into the night, your peers who are passionate, creative, and best of all, witty. It is the majestic, Harry Potter-esque dining hall to which you and your fellow freshmen flock for late-night study breaks. It is the a cappella concerts and guest lecturers, from Yo-Yo Ma to Al Gore, that pepper your calendar. It is the community you are immersed in - it is the home you have searched for. Step back from the websites, brochures, and statistics, open your eyes, and jump. The landing will be softer than you think. Yours gratefully,

Though Harvard offers an incredible variety of classes and boasts exceptional faculty in many academic fields, it may not be as easy as it seems to dip your toes into a subject with which you have not had much experience. Often first-level or even introductory classes include over-qualified students who have taken a similar class previously, thus making the class more competitive and perhaps making you feel as though you need to "catch-up" in order to succeed in the class. Taking a course pass/fail is a good way to relieve this stress.

Hugh

I would tell myself not to worry so much, that I can do the work, and that I belong at the university I attend. I would say, "Be confident, work hard, and enjoy college, because it only lasts a short time, and you can NEVER go back." Furthermore, I would say to form and build relationships while at school, while maintaining the ones from home. Lastly, I would tell myself, "School is a place that you will learn about a variety of topics, but more so a place to learn about yourself. Have a good time, get your work done, and live it up!"

The most frustrating thing is not being the best. In high school, it was much easier to distinguish myself from my peers and stand out academically. At my institution, everybody is a high-school standout, and it is almost impossible to be the best in a given area. You have to go extremely above and beyond in order to succeed in this institution, as just being good in a given field is considered moderate. You have to be great.

A person that is not self-motivated, or would have a difficult time dealing with competition and a difficult courseload should not attend this school.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.