Cambridge, MA
Harvard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvard University

Judith

My school is best known for thier great instructors as well as being very afforadable.

I tell everyone about the convenience of Columbus State. They have everything to meet your busy schedule. The instructors there are great, Not to mention it is a very affordable school. I also tell them if they are interested in pursuing Nursing, they have a great program.

If i could go back in time to my high school days i would tell my self to pursue college when I graduated. I think the main reason why I never went to college after high school is because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. This is only my second quarter and I really wish I would have not waited for so long to follow my dreams. I realize now that with a alot of hard work and determination I can do anything.

Gina

Harvard is best known for its ranking. It is known for attracting the number one students of the nation. And in a way, this is so; I have met extremely intelligent peers while attending Harvard and have been awed by the work ethic my classmates posses (two things I lack and so I tend to notice). Harvard is also known for their lacking football team, their amazingly spacious dorms, their great endowments, their beautiful buildings filled with so much history, and their fair share of famous alumni.

Dear Self, As a college student, I have some important advice. Read carefully. Open up. This includes peers AND (gasp) elders. Though it seems unlikely, professors do generally enjoy talking to their students. And though it's intimidating the first few times, I guarantee that you will not only get your money's worth (college isn't free), you will also gain important advice not obtained anywhere else. And talk to your classmates! Your experience will be so much greater if you make friends. Don't be scared; take initiative. Smile. Chances are some of them will grow up to be famous, and you can tell your grandchildren how you knew them or at least smiled at them once. Nothing is handed to you. College is filled with MILLIONS of opportunities at your fingertips, but YOU have to take advantage of them. Ask around for research opportunites; shop extracurriculars on your own. Choose your major based on interest, not job prospects. You will be so much happier if you do. Many successful people have great jobs with seemingly unprofitable majors. And lastly eat. Don't worry about the Freshmen Fifteen. I think it's a myth. Sincerely, Gina

Contrary to popular belief, Harvard is not the home of pompous elitists. As a member of the low class, I was scared of these sterotypes, but not yet have I met the "typical" pretentious Harvardite. Instead, Harvard is best for those that love to learn, that have a variety of talents, and that are undecided of what career path to take. Since it is a liberal arts college, students must dabble in a variety of subjects and discover their intended major through a full-rounded curriculum. Also, its advising is top notch for the confused, so it welcomes the undecided.

Karen

There is considerable competition for grades. The beaurocracy is sometimes tedious when trying to get things done and the school is slow to adapt to a change academic landscape.

Try to separate the school itself from the name. Ask yourself instead, do I want to live in a city or more suburban setting? Do I want more guidance or do I enjoy the freedom to seek out those things which interest me? Am I good at juggling activities along with a considerable amount of school work? Am I excited to take advantage of the many resources available at this school? Do I feel comortable seeking help when I don't understand material or require guidance of some sort? If you like a fast-paced, high powered academic environment and are self- motivated then Harvard is the place for you.

If you are not self -motivated or have trouble organizing a fair amount of work and extracurricular activities, then Harvard will be a challenge.

Michele

Meet my five suite-mates: Hilary, a die-hard ice hockey player from Minnesota; Gaga, our resident step dancer from Maryland with a touch of medical research experience on the side; Anna, an American who has spent most of her life in Japan and wakes up before six to run more miles than I can count; Sofia, a Chinese-Canadian artist who speaks French fluently and can draw a flawless portrait of Johnny Depp; and Natalie, our southern belle from Memphis who constructed a giant turkey out of soup cans to benefit the homeless. You can't beat that.

Dearest Grasshopper, Take a deep breath and relax, for you have chosen well. These past few months at college have been some of the best of your life so far - but not for the reasons you anticipated. No, it is not the thousands of classes advertised in the course catalog you skimmed incessantly or the low student-to-faculty ratio you calculated. It is not the career path you have chosen or the calculus class you passed. Instead, it is the roommates you laugh with late into the night, your peers who are passionate, creative, and best of all, witty. It is the majestic, Harry Potter-esque dining hall to which you and your fellow freshmen flock for late-night study breaks. It is the a cappella concerts and guest lecturers, from Yo-Yo Ma to Al Gore, that pepper your calendar. It is the community you are immersed in - it is the home you have searched for. Step back from the websites, brochures, and statistics, open your eyes, and jump. The landing will be softer than you think. Yours gratefully,

Though Harvard offers an incredible variety of classes and boasts exceptional faculty in many academic fields, it may not be as easy as it seems to dip your toes into a subject with which you have not had much experience. Often first-level or even introductory classes include over-qualified students who have taken a similar class previously, thus making the class more competitive and perhaps making you feel as though you need to "catch-up" in order to succeed in the class. Taking a course pass/fail is a good way to relieve this stress.

Hugh

I would tell myself not to worry so much, that I can do the work, and that I belong at the university I attend. I would say, "Be confident, work hard, and enjoy college, because it only lasts a short time, and you can NEVER go back." Furthermore, I would say to form and build relationships while at school, while maintaining the ones from home. Lastly, I would tell myself, "School is a place that you will learn about a variety of topics, but more so a place to learn about yourself. Have a good time, get your work done, and live it up!"

The most frustrating thing is not being the best. In high school, it was much easier to distinguish myself from my peers and stand out academically. At my institution, everybody is a high-school standout, and it is almost impossible to be the best in a given area. You have to go extremely above and beyond in order to succeed in this institution, as just being good in a given field is considered moderate. You have to be great.

A person that is not self-motivated, or would have a difficult time dealing with competition and a difficult courseload should not attend this school.

Vinay

History. Everyone knows the name "Harvard," and, to speak candidly, it is equated with excellence. I'm not sure that is always accurate, but that is the perception.

Well, my friend, you made it. All that effort has actually paid off--congratulations to you! I know (I was you, after all) that you're imagining college--what will happen, how the people will act, the classes--and getting ready for that experience. Trust me when I say you should throw your plans out the window. If college has taught me one thing, this past year, it has been that life is far too fluid for a high school senior to plan what his next year will be. Everything you assume will be one less thing you are prepared to deal with when things do not go the way you planned. So, what to do? Well, if I may humbly offer some advice--don't expect anything. Be like a child, as the Taoists say. Let life show you the doors before you plan on which ones you will be opening; just get out there and see what happens! If I were you, I would never have expected to be where I am now--and, as me, I could not hope for a better place to be.

The people are what make Harvard. Sure, its a nice name on an undergrad degree, and there are famous professors--but really, many schools have brilliant teachers and famous names (albeit not as famous). At Harvard, however, is the opportunity to be surrounded by people who are all just as smart or smarter than oneself, yet also as nice as anyone else in the world.

Alexandra

They are smart, diverse, ambitious, driven, caring, and capable.

They are smart, diverse, ambitious, driven, caring, and capable.

I know you think of college as the opportunity that will free you from petty adolescence and cookie-cutter education. You think of it as your ticket to new worlds. True, you will discover many things. You will rely upon yourself to the point that you will tire of the responsibility. You will learn things you always wanted to know, and things you didn?t even know you didn?t know. You will learn so much that you will feel overwhelmed, and the hardest part will not be studying for an Italian midterm. The hardest part will be realizing that so many decisions are up to you and you alone. College will have its ups and downs. Early on, establish a new family of true friends. Trust yourself; it?s easier to make friends in college. Sometimes you will feel like an adult. Sometimes you will feel like a baby. This is OK. Call home when you need to, but make your own decisions. Take a deep breath and embrace college life as one opportunity after another. Take yourself seriously out of respect for yourself, but don?t take yourself too seriously because you?ll miss the world going by.

The best thing about my school is the student body. Each person adds so much to the campus because of his or her background and experiences. Each person has a different outlook on life and is willing to share it with others. This makes for interesting mealtime discussions, as well as stimulating roommate discussions. It makes everyone at Harvard more in tune with the world around them and the possibilities out there.

Paige

Dear naive, anxious high school Paige, In college, there is so much pressure to know exactly what field you want to pursue after graduation. Many of your peers have wanted to be a lawyer or a doctor since they can remember. RELAX. It's normal to not know what you want to do for the rest of your life when you are only 18- enjoy the ride. Take classes you truly find enjoyable and are passionate about, and the career ideas will soon follow. Additionally, take advantage of the great area around Harvard, explore the incredible city that is Boston. you may only live in Boston for the four years you are in college, so seize every opportunity you get to go to a Red Sox game, visit the New England Aquarium, and chow down on some linguine in the North End. Boston has a lot to offer, as do the incredible classes and faculty at Harvard, so just enjoy the ride. Your wise, older self, Paige

I mainly brag about all of the cool friends I have, the interesting classes I am able to take, and the great faculty.

Xin

Exactly how difficult the classes were and how much work and dedication is involved to achieve a high grade.

I would definitely have taken an easier courseload freshman fall and not participated in as many extracurriculars. At a school like Harvard especially, the courses can be extremely demanding and time consuming, and they require much more work and thought than even the most difficult advanced placement courses in high school do. I definitely would not underestimate the difficulty of classes, and would have dedicated much more time to getting this skillset hammered down. Once coursework management has been handled it is ok to proceed with plunging in the world of extracurriculars, employment, etc...

The research and funding opportunities, extremely challenging classes, and the networking opportunities available.

Harvard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.