Harvard University

« See more reviews of Harvard University

The real blight on the Harvard student body, as the feminist group the Radcliffe Union of Students won't let the student body and administration forget, are the final clubs. Though they're technically not Harvard groups, they have an enduring command on Harvard students. Endowed by their wealthy male alumni and scattered about the campus (though technically off campus), the clubs are a shameful reminder of Harvard's elitist and male-dominated past. Only men are eligible to join, and of those, the whitest, richest, and preppiest tend to be chosen. They pay exorbitant dues and get admitted into networks of rich and powerful alums. Female students are, of course, encouraged to come visit, and on weekend nights, lines of girls in short skirts and tight tops can be seen on the streets, lining up to be let in to the clubs.

Harvard has the most diverse student body. Students come from every background. This includes variety in home state, home country, ethnic origins, socioeconomic backgrounds, religion, hobbies and interests. Thus, learning never stops at the classrooms and lecture halls here; you are constantly learning from the poeple around you. Academically, Harvard offers courses that expand your mind to all areas of the subject. This really is the ultimate educational experience. Not only are they cross-disciplanary and comprehensive, they are also taught by the masters in the field--the best in the world. Thus, they really stir enthusiasm in the subject.

When people think of Harvard, the first thing that comes to mind is the stellar academic reputation. Harvard, however, is much more than that. It has a great financial aid program, which means that everyone who is accepted can attend. Not only does Harvard liberally fund the academics, but it also throws money at "fun" student activities so everyone can make the best of their college experience. The school community is pretty warm ~ if you need help, it's only one step or phonecall away. Most importantly, the Harvard name provides somewhat of a safety net when you graduate.

What's unique about Harvard is each incoming class is purposely created to be as diverse as possible. Everyone has a different background, religion, experiences, gifts, etc. This is a place where people are not only free to be who they are and share their values, they are strongly encouraged to bring their own stories and make Harvard their own. Education does not only take place in the classroom, but occurs every minute in the hallways, on the streets, and in the dining halls. Not only do students graduate with a diploma, they identify themselves as Harvardians for life.

In addition to the uniquely motivated friends that I have met at Harvard, I have found that the level of support from my friends, staff, and professors have truly made my experience one to remember. Whether it was struggling with tough problem sets or even just looking for someone to have lunch with, my peers have found time to not only look out for one another, but also develop lifelong friendships.

Harvard is a place to be who you want to be. It can be difficult to find your place but that's okay because even though I've struggled, I think I am a better person because of it. Harvard has opened a lot of doors and I've learned and seen things that I never would have seen. I feel like before Harvard I was quite isolated but now I know so many things and have a different perspective on my world.

Harvard is definitely the most culturally and intellectually diverse of the Ivies and other schools of similar quality. Admittedly, that's not staying much. Still, the quality of students' thought here is incredible, and at least once a week I feel that I've had one of the best intellectual discussions of my life.

Students are taken seriously by faculy and one another and are generally considered smart and mature. (Consequently, that might also make Harvard feel unfriendly and unhelpful.) Generally, however, elite academic resources of all sources are at your fingertips if you're willing to put in the effort to find them.

this is the best university in the US and perhaps even the world. It is difficult to get into because it is an elite institution that is designed soley for its students to come out of it with an experience that prepares then in their field like no other. This, is unique.

I love that Harvard does not discriminate based on financial background. Their financial aid initiative gives everyone a chance for higher education. For those whose families come as immigrants or from an uneducated background, HFAI provides hope for the future.