Harvard University

« See more reviews of Harvard University

Many are not true. I know many people who party (though not super often) but that drink occassionally and don't see a problem with that. Yeah, a lot of Harvard students are busy people but I know some that are dedicated to academics and pursue things their own ways. There are some attractive people here and no we don't study all day. I know many people who like to play video games for example. You might not expect that from the Harvard student but some are extremely good at video games, some of the best at things like Halo, Smash Bros, and etc. in the nation (not just the college).

The faculty is incredible - my impression from 90% of my professors is that they have really been open to talking in office hours and getting to know me. But most don't put a lot of effort into teaching their undergrad classes. James Kloppenberg is a notable exception. Harvard students do work very hard, but it's more that doing extracurriculars (and occasional schoolwork) is what they enjoy rather that they don't have fun. They just don't have fun by partying (mostly).

While many students do study a lot, I feel the general party atmosphere at Harvard is really fun and everyone knows how to have a good time. Sure when midterms and finals come around people get a little stressed out, but other than that everyone is very personable and very similar to the types of students you would find at any other school. While almost everyone is very smart, I have found it very easy to ask for help and receive it from my fellow peers.

no and NO :) not at all--you can have as much of a typical "college" experience here as you would at any other school. Unless you are expecting to go to football games on weekends with thousands of other students--people don't really care about athletics here...i think its because having school pride makes people feel awkardly or uncomfortably arrogant--but other than that the social scene is completely what you make of it.

a, b, c are all true to a certain extent. Harvard has its share of Intel finalists, though perhaps not as many as our technical neighbor down the road, and its share of wealthy blue-blood American aristocrats, and its share of workaholics. d is certainly not true - most students here work extremely hard and getting a diploma here, while it certainly opens some doors, is no guarantee of anything.

While the academic environment at Harvard can be quite competitive, students are not out to sabotage their classmates. Gauging from my experience, the stereotype alleging that Harvard students are excessively cutthroat is patently untrue. Indeed, the people I have met here are among the kindest and most generous I know.

Not entirely. The student body is much more diverse than it's generally supposed to be in terms of students' backgrounds and interests, but the general campus feel is somewhat adherant to the stereotypes. There's a lot more at Harvard than the stereotypes would have you think.

yes. when i read the question above, many stereotypes immediately popped into my head, all very different but sort of perversely similar. Anyway, I suppose we're stereotyped as overachieving in some way or another, be it school, extra currics, social, etc.

Not in most cases--we're well rounded, diverse, fun, hard working, and most of all, we deserve to be here. There are plenty of students who aren't geniuses, and plenty who are more focused on sports/music/art than academics.

No. Stereotypes aren't true even if they are based on some semblance of "Truth." They are gross exaggerations and can't be accurate for the entire Harvard population