Harvard University

« See more reviews of Harvard University

When you step foot on the campus of the right school for you, you know it. It is so easy to get caught up in where everyone else is telling you to go, but at the end of the day, you are going to spend the best four years of your life at the college you go to, so it had better be your choice. Take everyone's opinion for what it is worth, but make your own choice about where you go to college. You will never regret going to the school that feels right -- the school that feels like home.

Do your research. Look beyond the college's promotional material. Take a campus visit and ask current students what they think of their school; they will be much more likely to give you honest, candid responses than the admissions officers will. Sit in on a class- see if the professor interacts with the students, see how large the classes are, see if students seem engaged in the material. It's the next four years of your life on the line. A few weeks of research is totally worth it.

Make sure to get a good group of friends at the beginning. They will be your support network and your lifeline. Make sure that they truly care about your well-being. Don't do *anything* sexual. You'll regret it for the rest of your life. Be open to ideas and be humble. You won't always be right, but at the same time, be willing to stick to your convictions. Love your friends back, by helping them do what's right and by protecting them from themselves. Ask them to do the same for you.

Katie Foster! Study every chance you can! As good as your high school teachers were, they will be nothing compared to the professors ahead. Get involved too. There are so many things you can do, and by being involved you won't get so homesick. If you choose to go far off, take the first month and stay at school. That will also help with feeling homesick. It will take some time to adjust, but if you jump in and join groups it won't end up being so bad.

If i could go back in time to my high school days i would tell my self to pursue college when I graduated. I think the main reason why I never went to college after high school is because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. This is only my second quarter and I really wish I would have not waited for so long to follow my dreams. I realize now that with a alot of hard work and determination I can do anything.

There is no way to know if you will fit in at a school until you visit it and spend a day (or more) attending classes and meeting people. The best way to make the most out of one's college experience is to meet as many students, professors, mentors, alumni, etc. as soon as possible. Learn about their stories and begin immediately at developing your own.

If you can, spend time at the college and trust vague, general impessions you might have. Pay attention to students' comments about the administration and administrational procedures. At college, take advantage of where you are, with or without people you meet on campus.

Definitely visit the campuses of prospective universities before you decide whether or not to apply. And try to be as honest and specific about what kinds of qualities you are looking for in your college or university. Most of all: Stay true to your heart!

If possible, visit the college and take a tour of it. Study hard and interact with faculty and other students. Don't be afraid to try something new, whether you want to take your first class in a subject, do research, or join a club.

Let the kid do what they want. Seriously, they will be miserable in college if they go somewhere where they don't fit in and aren't happy. Follow your heart, go to class, and turn your work in on time. That is the key to success.