Claremont, CA
Harvey Mudd College

Valerie

Harvey Mudd is definitely a challenging school. Sometimes it may be too challenging. However, at the end of the day, the difficulty is what strengthens the bonds between students. The students here make the college worth going to, because they are open and friendly. You learn a lot from your peers and professors are easily accessible. This is definitely the place for nerds to go.

S

The academics are fantastic, though I'm kind of concerned about its political atmosphere. The professors, students, and even the president of our school are not shy about displaying their political (liberal) leanings. On the day after Donald Trump was elected, one of my finals was postponed, my physics teacher sobbed in class, and my chemistry course was canceled. This is not what I am paying $70,000+ for. The school's administration seems to be giving in to many overly sensitive, left -leaning organizations on campus, causing two whole days of class to be canceled (again, this is not what I am paying $70,000+ for). And keep in mind, this is coming from a student who is left-leaning- I can only imagine how frustrated a conservative student is feeling.

Joseph

Harvey Mudd has an amazing math program. I barely liked math before coming here but decided to jointly major in Mathematics and Computer Science. The professors all range from good to amazing. Harvey mud has requires that every student completes a set of classes called CORE. There are a lot of classes to take but with only a few exceptions the classes are all very interesting even though I haven't started classes for my major I feel like I am learning things that are very useful and very powerful. The students are all very nice and very smart. My only complaints are that some of the curriculum's in some of the classes like Statistics and CS 42 were disappointing. Also, some of the big universities probably have more big events, PE classes, and research opportunities.

Maya
HMC: Work hard, Play hard!

HMC: Work hard, Play hard!

Harvey Mudd is super rigorous - I'm not going to lie. I'm taking almost double the number of classes that other people are for the same number of credits. That said, because of its rigor, it is so much more rewarding. Plus, all the recruiters know this, so they're twice as impressed when we say we're from Harvey Mudd, right? ;) Honestly, the people are super nice, and you'll definitely find your scene no matter what you're into. Plus, since SoCal is full of universities and opportunities, it's such an easy place to reach out to other people and places from.

Jacob

Harvey Mudd College is a liberal arts college with a focus in the field STEM.

Harvey Mudd College is a liberal arts college with a focus in the field STEM.

Students at Harvey Mudd College are creative and motivated, while all having a common interesting in some form of science and the humanities.

Katarina

So you are ready to go to off to college. Your bags are packed, and you are excited and nervous about your upcoming adventure. It is great to be enthusiastic, but before you leave, take the time to do the things you enjoy and spend time with loved ones. You will soon learn that if you do not live your life fully at each moment, opportunities will pass you by. Make sure that you know how to stay calm and focused, and learn how to take care of yourself. Remember that sleep is a necessity. Your fellow students are also adventurers, as well as future coworkers and confidants. Be friendly and true, but remember that you are your own top priority. You will have many new experiences, some unique to your college. Try to take advantage of them, but remember to keep up with your curriculum. If the curriculum is much harder than you are used to, find help among professors and experienced students. Find an activity you love, a subject area you have passion and some talent for, friends, and a work ethic. When you return home for the holidays, you will be bursting to share your success story.

Its small, and everyone knows everything about each other.

The workload is difficult, and sometimes it can be difficult to manage your time well enough to handle it completely. Most students end up picking and choosing the important work to do each day, and pushing the rest off.

William

My classsmates are quirky, intelligent, amd hardworking.

My classsmates are quirky, intelligent, amd hardworking.

My school is best know for absurd mathematics and science related students.

What I have gotten out of college far exceeeds just the educational value. Although I have learned far more than I ever could have hoped or expected, I was also exposed to new areas of learning and parts of life that I had never even thought of. My probable career path is something that I had never even contemplated before I got to college. Moreover, I feel that I have become a more compete, mature individual, one that will contibute to the workplace and community in the future.

Nathan

I learned a lot about things that I was interested in. I feel that the education I received allowed me to get into a good graduate school.

You have a large amount of work, which can interfere with social life and/or sleep.

Brianna

A place to meet the best people you will ever know, and a place to work harder then you ever had while having the more fun then you thought possible.

I would tell myself that there is no challenge too difficult for me to handle when I surround myself with people who really care. The first semester in college was the hardest semester of school in my life, I encountered my first serious incident of racism. If it were not for my supportive professors, caring friends, and loving family, I would not want to continue in college and would have completely fallen apart. That semester was the first time I felt as if I was not meant to become an engineer, that it was not what I was capable of. But my support system helped me to realize that another person's opinion is not what is important, and I can do whatever I set my mind to. I would tell myself to not care about what other people say about me or my background, and this is what I will also tell the young student I will begin mentoring Spring semester. One of the greatest ways to stop the cycle of racism is to break the sterotypes that keep some of us down.

Someone who does not want to work hard. It is okay to come here not knowing yet what you want to do, but if you are not willing to work hard to help yourself, and to help others reach their goals, you will not survive here. Everything here is a group effort, and we all help and support each other. You must be willing to work with others, and not underestimate the rigor of the classes here.

Laurie

Harvey Mudd is a strong engineering and computer science school where academics are the main focus of the whole college experience.

Apply to more private universities than public, because private ones give out more financial aid.

The most frustrating thing about Harvey Mudd is that if you are not a computer scientist or engineer there are not as many resources available to you.

Harvey Mudd College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.