Claremont, CA
Harvey Mudd College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harvey Mudd College

Kristina

In order to find the right college, I feel it is imperative that a student must visit their top prospective schools, preferably for an overnight stay in a dorm with current students. I discovered that having the opportunity to sit in actual classes, meet the professors, spend time with students and see what life is like on each specific campus for a few days made my final selection an easy and obvious choice. By spending time on the campus of a college, a prospective student is able to get a feeling for the atmosphere of the school, and determine whether or not this is a condusive place for them as an individual. Once in college, to make the most of the experience I would advise always going to class, getting to know the professors by attending office hours, and most of all, participating in activites outside of the academic world. By attending classes, a student can utilize the resources provided by the college, instead of trying to teach themelves. Club participation allows a student to find their niche on campus, as well as giving them an outlet to relax and unwind after a tough day of classes.

I wish I knew more about how temperate the California climate usually is, but that Claremont can be very hot in the late summer and early fall. I wish I knew how important it would be to have a bike, skateboard or longboard to ride around on campus and how quickly I would adjust to living in a co-ed dorm suite, and be grateful for it, too.

I love to brag about how completely accepting all the students here are and how no one has to drink or do drugs to fit in or be included in any parties or group activities. Each student is accepted on his/her own merits and allowed to be themselves with no peer pressure or exclusion just for being different.

Torry
What are your classes like?

Sentry Bot is currently being controlled by a remote PC via wifi.

What are your classes like?

Sentry Bot is currently being controlled by a remote PC via wifi.

"The Roomba Create acting as Mario! The flag says HMC, which stands for Harvey Mudd College."

Two Harvey Mudd students take the challenge to "build something cool" and get a prize from CA.

What are your classes like?

Here are a couple launches for the newly redesigned experimental engineering course at Harvey Mudd College.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Pranking a faculty member at Harvey Mudd College goes horribly wrong for two HMC students. AMAZINGLY funny.

Making a robot to draw

Time lapse video of Harvey Mudd College I did for my final project in intro to video production

Matt

The school is pretty small so you get to know everyone quite well, including your professors. A large class is 30 people, a small one might be 5 or 6 students. The professors know who you are and care about your education. Sure there are a few bad professors, but overall the caliber of education in very excellent. The homework load is quite high and you are expected to put in a lot of time outside of all of your classes. Additionally, a normal class load is 5 classes (3 science + 2 humanities) and 1 to 2 labs. If you want to work hard and learn a lot, this is the place to be.

The student body can be a bit quirky, but overall it's pretty good. One of the dorms fits the traditional nerd stereotype, but then there is another dorm that is known for drinking a lot and throwing great parties. There are religious groups, but overall, the college is primarily does not care about politics and religion (there are plenty of exceptions, that's just what it feels like).

A lot of people worry about failing classes here at Mudd. They shouldn't. The professors all know how hard it is here, and they are more than willing to work with you to ease up assignments/extend deadlines if that's what it takes. There are no weed out classes. Sick? Not a problem, just shoot them an e-mail. As long as all the work gets done, 99% of the students pass everything just fine. Didn't get into a class you really want to take? e-mail the professor and they'll make room for you.

At Mudd you work harder than possibly anywhere else (with a few exception). You will leave with a background in all of science, not just your major. But it's not all work. With that many great minds in one place, we throw a large number of really great parties and generally have a lot of fun when we're not working.

Academics at Mudd are top notch. There is very little competition, mostly because professor encourage you to work together in groups. Tests are often pretty laid back (sometimes takehome, sometimes open book). Upper devision classes are often based on student presentations, so they first few years the professors work to encourage in class participation.

The activities and social life are what you make of it. There is ample funding for anything you want to do (What to organize a SCUBA trip? Here's $300 to help with rentals. Want to throw a big party? Here $1000 to help cover costs). Also, there are 5 colleges each, each with their own atmosphere, parties, and activities. That means if you can't find something at Mudd, it's only a minute or two walk away. And... if you really can't find it... then just make it. I founded the Harvey Mudd martial arts club and I started and taught the Harvey Mudd Intro to Martial Arts PE class.

Mudd students work hard and party hard.

Kevin

Harvey Mudd I feel is a fantastic school. It is a small school, but since it is a part of the 5 claremont colleges, there also is a big school feel. Furthermore, it is nice to have the Claremont village just down the street from the colleges if you need to get off campus and relax. I also feel that the administration, especially for the engineering department, is fantastic and the best group of faculty I've ever been with. However, it is a little annoying to constantly tell people where the college is since most have not heard of it.

I feel that Mudd's student body is diverse, both racially and in personallity. I feel that there are always a group of students at the college that any other student can relate to. Dorm pride is somewhat of an issue at mudd, where students will usually only hangout with fellow dorm students.

For the majority of the school, no.

Academics is an important topic at Harvey Mudd. All the classes require an extensive amount of work, but I feel that in the end, it helps the students master the material that much more. Since the college is so small, the professors know most of the students on campus and are always willing to help. It's also nice to never have a TA lecture a class. The total education at mudd is one of the best offered in the nation, and I feel that it sets students up extremely well for industry.

There is a great balance between work and play at Mudd. All of the mudd parties are well themed and thrown with a lot of energy. Most of the student body is social and will attend events such as athletic events and theater.

Extremely nerdy and socially awkward.

chelsea

Harvey Mudd has many great characteristics... and a lot that could change. The students are all really nice and their is not a competitive atmosphere, despite the emphasis on academics. The professors are also really amazing and really care about the students. The focus on academics is at time really intense, just this weekend I spent 14 hours in a computer lab working on a project with my team for a presentation. And that happens quite often. School is a little small sometimes... everyone knows everything about everyone and that can get annoying. People are always impressed when I tell them I go to Mudd and they have heard about the school. I recently interviewed for an internship (which I got) and the person I interviewed with was in awe of Mudd and said the smartest man he ever knew went to Mudd. I spend most of my time underground... all the engineering labs are underground, its annoying. It's a nice, small college town. The town of claremont is really nice, even though there are a lot of old people. I don't like the administration, I don't get the feeling they care about the students, they care about the image of the school more. The profs are great though. There is a lot of school pride, but more dorm pride. Everyone feels they belong to a specific dorm. I'll always remember walking around campus and hearing people discussing quantum mechanics for fun. Science is a immense part of our lives. Students complain about how difficult and stressful it is here. This school really humbles you, it hurts your self esteem. But I think I'll be a stronger person by the time I graduate and will be more than prepared for the reali world.

The ones I know are true, everyone at this school is extremely smart. And everyone is nerdy in some way. Some more than others.

I'd say 90% of my professors know my name. I love my digital engineering course. I wan't excited about taking it, but have grown to love it. I probably spend 12 hours on homework a week for the class, but it is still my favorite. I have learned so much. My least favorite class is electrical engineering, the professor is not a good teacher. He is well qualified, and smart, but he should not be a teacher. This is one thing that disappoints me about the school, some teachers are here because of their research. All mudd students have intellectual conversations outside of class, if you don't like that, don't come here. Students are surprisingly not competitive, this is due to the schools emphasis on teamwork and cooperation. I do spend time with teachers outside of class, mostly getting help on homework. The requirements are a little insane, I take 6 classes every semester, which is normal and necessary to graduate in four years. The core classes are killer and I am just finishing core as a sophomore. The engineering program is definitely geared towards getting a job, it is a general engineering degree so that you graduate a well rounded scientist. There is also the clinic program where an outside company hires mudd students to do a project, so you get work experience before you graduate.

I'm not really involved in clubs, although i know they exist. Students definitely leave their doors open, it is a friendly environment. Some intermural athletic events are popular, such as inner tube water polo. There are guest speakers that are here probably weekly, I've been to a lot, they are always amazing, inspiring speakers. The dating scene is odd, a lot of guys and few girls. Luckily there is an all girls school (scripps) right next door, so all the guys that don't find mudd girls can get a scrippsie. I meet most of my best friends at orientation, and i know they will be my friends the whole time i am here. If I'm awake on a tuesday at 2 am I am doing homework. There are too many traditions to list. So many events and parties that happen yearly, it's fun. I party most weekends, but there are also a lot of kids that don't. One saturday i happened to be working in a computer lab at midnight and all these easties were playing computer games until 2, that is their way of partying. There are no frats or sororities. Last weekend I did homework all day, and drank all night. We work hard and party hard. I've been to the beach, and LA there are a lot of things to do off campus.

The harvey mudd student body is definitely diverse. Each dorm has a stereotype, which generally fit the people that choose to live in it. Linde (my dorm) are the "slacker" "stoner" kids who are lazy and dirty, live at the end of campus. West dorm is messy, all the kdis their love burning things and causing trouble, the administration really dislikes them. Sontag is the apartment dorm, which is quiet, and seniors go to "retire". Atwood doesn't really have a personality, besides being the largest, and only 3 story dorm on campus. North (norf) is where the "jocks" of the school live. They play beer pong and play sports more than other dorms. East is where the strange unicycling, video game playing, smelly kids live. And south is for the really quiet kids who want singles. And lastly Case, kinda weird, nothing much to say about it, but it's pink. All types of students interact, a lot of classes are group project based. No matter what dorm you live in you learn to interact with different types of peopl. Most Mudd students are from california, but kids are from everywhere. Some students are politically active, some are not. Depends on the person. Students definitely talk about the amount of money they will someday make, everyone hopes going to this school will get them a good job.

Nerdy, really smart. I don't really know anymore. Now that I am part of the community, i don't really know the stereotypes.

Jake

Harvey Mudd will give you a wonderful education. The courses are very interesting, but also very intense. While most schools require 4 classes per semester to graduate, Mudd requires 5 and a lab. All of my professors know my name and it is very easy for me to meet with them and discuss homework problems. While Mudd is only about 750 kids, you have the other 4 colleges as a resource to go and meet new people. There are a total of 5000 on all five of the colleges. While each of the 5 colleges has its own stereotype, Mudd is the only college that has stereotypes within the individual dorms. I live in North Dotrm which is the dorm for kids who like sports and like to party. I spent most of my time at my dorm hanging out with friends and doing homework. I rarely do my homework at the library.

I always tell people tha while the students at Mudd might be eccentric, they are the nicest people you will ever meet. Everyoen is respectful and very nice. For example, some girls in my dorm make deserts for everyoen when there is a birthday in our dorm. At Mudd it is difficult to stay up to date with current events. It is often said that we live in the "Mudd-bubble" isolated from the outside work becuase we are so focused on our work

For the most part, the sterotypes are true. There are some very weird people who stay in there room all day and night and play World of Warcraft. Also, I have not met a Mudder who was not very smart.

The academics are very rigorous but also very intellectually stimulating. Harvey Mudd has a huge core: 3 semesters of physics (Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, Mechanics, Electricity and Magnitism), 2 semester of physics lab, 4 semesters of math (Calculus, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, DE's, Stats), A intro humanities class, 2 semster of chemistry, 2 semester of chem lab, an intro bio class, an intro computer science course, a systems and signals engineering class, everyone must take all these classes no matter what their major is. We are also required to take 1/3 of our classes in the humanities. Most students do most of their work is groups which is encouraged by the faculty. My favorite class thus far has been Discrete Math (but I really have be secretive when I talk about this subject...). We do a unit in counting, number theory and graph theory. I had always heard people talking about number and graph theory but had never known what they were talking about sp it was good to finally learn. Everyone at Mudd is required to write a thesis or do a clinic project before they graduate.

What is very ironic about the Claremont Colleges, and something that was very difficult for me to believe, is that Harvey Mudd throws the best parties. We throw a crazy foam party which has 500 people going crazy in the quad covered with foam. The alcohol/drug policy is unbelievably relaxed and very illegal...I carry around a beer on campus as if it was a bottle of water even though I'm under 21. The administration trusts the students to make responsible decision and for the we do.

Harvey Mudd students are thought to be really nerdy and socially awkward. People also have stereotyped "Mudder" as beings scrawny and unathletic. On a higher note, students at Mudd are also thought to be really smart. Essentially we are the weird, crazy, ridiculously smart mad scientists of the Claremont colleges.

Natalie

The students admitted to Harvey Mudd are very well rounded. They have many extracurricular, and social accomplishments. Many scored higher on the verbal and writing sections of the SAT/ACT than the math. Everyone has several other hobbies (http://www.hmc.edu/studentlife1/activities1/studentorgs.html). It is part of the Claremont Colleges Consortium so you can stick to the small 800-student school or branch out to any of the other four campuses and take courses and socialize on a large scale. Many people choose to go to Pomona College, for instance, over Harvard or Princeton. So there are some very politically and philosophically savvy people to get to know.

Downsides...I am probably not the person to ask. I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I know all my professors. If you want something you can usually make it happen. I suppose one downside is that I haven't had time to do theater, first semester I was getting four hours of sleep a night, and you really don't have very much free time. Mudders usually say there are three things: study, sleep, and social life...you can choose two. Also, you are probably a genius, but one downside for me is always just barely being average. Think about it. Harvey mudd is a school chalk full of national merit scholars, students in the top 10% of their graduating class, 1600 SAT scores (or whatever the highest is with the new one...2400?), and do you know what that means for a school with no grade inflation?? That means I am average! Just average... 3.0. It kind of sucks and is discouraging for me. If you are used to being the best at everything, this place will not feed your ego, or at least it doesn't for me. Now I also have it on good authority that if you want a college experience filled with lazy afternoons, a chance to spend lots of time in creative pursuits, and never feel like you have tons of work hanging over your head, then run away from Mudd as fast as you can! Only come here if you want to learn, and learn for all your worth! You will have time for relaxation, to be sure, but it is quite minimal, and you will always feel like there is something else you should be doing (unless you are very good at compartmentalization.) It pains me to say this, but I want to be honest with you.

Yes and No. Mudders are far more well-rounded, a bit less crazy, but just as smart.

Their are no graduate students! So all the professors' attention is on you! You will have the opportunity to do research with them and independent studies and hang out in their offices. As a Home Schooled student, I was used to a very close relationships with my instructors so this school was perfect. There are some larger lectures, especially for the core courses, but then you have recitation sections that consist of about 12 students each and a professor. Classes get smaller, of course, as you take more upper-division courses. You don't have to declare your major until Fall semester sophomore year (and even then it can be flexible). I started out as an engineer, but decided to declare mathematics after taking some classes and talking with engineering students and professors.

I really like that we can take courses off campus. We have a lot of humanities requirements and I really wanted to take Chinese. I was able to do that at Pomona college...I also took ballroom dance there and was able to make their campus team after only two semesters. They have a tour team that has one the National Ballroom competition in Ohio for five years running. Claremont is a really cute town. HMC's campus landscaping and architecture is a little raw, but Scripps campus right across the street wins awards every year for its beauty.The dorm situation is really nice. There is a fit for the rowdy, the quite, the stoners, the alcoholics, the computer nerds...and everybody pretty much knows everybody else. There is a dinning hall on campus, but you can also eat at any of the other 6 dinning halls on the Claremont colleges. I have no complaints about the food...other than that I miss my mom's cooking. When there is time to get off campus you can take the metro into LA. Many people have cars on campus and are willing to drive you places. I don't have a car and I have never needed one. People are usually pretty generous with their vehicles. I have gone flying, sailing, surfing, climbing, dancing...there are plenty of activities if you can make the time.

Have you ever seen "Real Genius" with Val Kilmer? Yeah.

Paige

Harvey Mudd is a small, close-knit school with outstanding academics. It's small size allows tons of interaction with professors and really good research opportunities. Since there are no grad students, even freshman can do research if they are interested. The work is demanding, but the school emphasizes teamwork to help you get through it. No one is competitive, instead we all work together.

Harvey Mudd is a very accepting school. Diversity is encouraged.

Mudders are dorky, but we are also more fun than expected. Other students at the Claremont Colleges don't see Mudders as much, for they get off campus less, but we have a good time on our own campus. It is also well known we throw great parties.

Not many students are involved in athletics. Mudd has a large social budget for the great parties we throw. Also we have a activities club that will subsidize basically anything you want to do/go to(like movies, skiing, sporting events) as long as 8+ people sign up.

Harvey Mudd College is considered a dork school and its students are considered dorky.

Lauryn

Most students are very unaware of what's going on in the world - barely anyone reads the newspaper. Of the politically aware students, the large majority are liberals. Most students are very casual when they go to class, in fact, pajamas are even accepted. I like to dress nicely and wear dresses, and this is very uncommon at Mudd. Engineers are very aware that we'll be able to make a lot of money right after graduation - salaries 50-70,000 are pretty common, and almost expected. Other majors expect to have to go to grad school before they are able to make the same kind of money.

The one word to describe Mudd's academics is INTENSE. Academics are a 24/7 pursuit. It's not uncommon to be incredibly drunk and still be discussing your current class or project. The professors are one of the best parts of Mudd. Almost all of them are here because they really enjoy teaching undergrads. They will make an effort to get to know you and help you - they want you to succeed. In addition, most of the professors are involved with student clubs or other activities on campus. I've been invited to professor's houses, played sports with them, and even partied with a few of them. The engineering major can be very frustrating for those who don't want to do mechanical or electrical engineering. For chemical or bioengineers, the course selection is often limited.

The dating scene can be very difficult for girls. Women still make up only about 30% of the student body, so dating can get pretty awkward! My girl friends and I joke that it's not uncommon for us to find ourselves in a group of people that consists of more than one person we have dated or slept with.

Ryan

The community is the best part. Student-faculty and student-student. Everyone is a big family, almost. The honor code is great. I spend a lot of time hanging out in the dorm lounge with all the awesome people. Culture is centered around dorms more so than anything else. Most frequent student complaint is too much work and not enough sleep.

We try to be welcoming towards racial minorities, but based on recent discussions, I guess we don't succeed too well. LGBT students don't feel out of place though.

Not really. Study a lot, is true, but have a bunch of fun as well :)

Least favorite - a class which was taught by a visiting CGU prof. Students aren't very competitive - it's a supportive atmosphere. Professors all get to know you, even outside of class sometimes. The education is geared towards learning for its own sake.

Students leave their dorms open and hang out in lounges. If I'm awake at 2:00 AM on a tuesday, I'm either studying or playing video games in the dorm lounge. There are parties sponsored by various dorms; there are no fraternities/sororities.

Harvey Mudd College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.