Harvey Mudd College

« See more reviews of Harvey Mudd College

Harvey Mudd I feel is a fantastic school. It is a small school, but since it is a part of the 5 claremont colleges, there also is a big school feel. Furthermore, it is nice to have the Claremont village just down the street from the colleges if you need to get off campus and relax. I also feel that the administration, especially for the engineering department, is fantastic and the best group of faculty I've ever been with. However, it is a little annoying to constantly tell people where the college is since most have not heard of it.

HMC is a TINY college. Only 750 students - all undergraduate - means that you get a ton of personal attention from Professors. TA's are super rare and basically only show up in Humanities courses. The academics are essentially graduate level and most students feel that "oh god, what did i get myself into" feeling within a first weeks of freshman year. However, the school has an amazing support system to help you through the rigorous academics. I have never worked so hard in my life or had as much fun as when I was at HMC.

Harvey Mudd is a small, close-knit school with outstanding academics. It's small size allows tons of interaction with professors and really good research opportunities. Since there are no grad students, even freshman can do research if they are interested. The work is demanding, but the school emphasizes teamwork to help you get through it. No one is competitive, instead we all work together.

Harvey Mudd picks genuine people. Genuine students, genuine staff, genuine faculty. Seldom do I feel like I'm being criticized. There is much school pride, especially since we have the other four colleges right next door to 'compete' with. Mudders ride unicycles! It's pretty funny if you're not expecting it, but after a while it begins to seem normal.

The best thing is the honor code. I would change the amount of actual class time we have. Since most people don't know anything about the school, the reaction is usually neutral but whenever someone does know the school, the reaction is always favorable. I spend most of my time in the dorm/ dorm room hanging out with people or studying.

The community is the best part. Student-faculty and student-student. Everyone is a big family, almost. The honor code is great. I spend a lot of time hanging out in the dorm lounge with all the awesome people. Culture is centered around dorms more so than anything else. Most frequent student complaint is too much work and not enough sleep.