Lawrence, KS
Haskell Indian Nations University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Haskell Indian Nations University

Ben

Being in college has made me more of man or a grown up in many ways. Now that I am out in the world all on my own I have to make decisions that if i was still at home i would never have had to make. I can go out and do whatever I want when I want but I do not have my parents to look after me and I can not go to them when I need money or just someone to talk to. Also if I do anything stupid I will go straight to jail. So I have grown up alot being in college and I still have some parts of my life to work on but I'm sure being away from home and at college will really help me.

That the campus is really small so you have a more one on one relationship with the instructors.

That it is far away from home but it is not too far that i can't go home when i please

Kelsey

Attending college has taught me a lot. Not only am I more academicly prepared for my furture in teaching, but also socially. I have learned that hard work and perseverance really do pay off. College has taught me how to manage my money, time, and energy. College over all has been very valuable because it is the stepping stone to my future. With my career choice in becoming a teacher a college degree is a must have. Through my experience in college, valuing my education and taking advantage of oppourtunites around me is most important.

Before I came to this school I wish I would have known that even though the fees for Haskell College are very low, the cost of being in College is still very expensive. Unlike other collges that cost thousands of dollars a sememster Haskell provides an education for a very low set of fees. However, the testing to enter the program in which I will be applying for costs quite a bit, and also my Junior and Senior year I will be paying for my own books

The most frustrating thing about this school is the lack of organization. The process can be very difficult to enroll and get everything needed to succeed.

Chelsae

I have experienced a whole new understand of life throughout my college experience. I never realized how rewarding it is to continue your education and broaden your horizon. I used to see school as a burden and too stressful for me to worry about, until I decided to make the change and try it for myself. College has given me a much more open mind to learning new things and to challenge myself in ways I never thought possible. College has also given me another reason to be proud of myself and proud of the achievements I am able to make. To find a new grasp of self-confidence, and self worth is so hard to find these days, but college has done this for me. Even though throughout my college experience I have complained, pulled all nighters, procrastinated, and even yelled at my dog because I do not understand an assignment, it is all worth it! I still have a ways until the end of my journey, but am excited to see what other changes college has in store for my future and me.

Keisha

This school is unique because it is small which allows the instructors to become familiar and acquantied with their students. One-on-one instruction and time is also provided for students who need additional supoprt.

I have learned that not everyone comes from the same place. I also learned that you need to be mindful and respectful to different cultures. I grew up on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and was limited to many opportunities; jobs, extra curricular activites, meeting new friends from different cultures, city life, etc. Allowing me to experience city life opened my eyes up to different opportunites such as job placement and networking with other educational figures. I highly recommend college for every high school student.

Since this University only accepts Native American students who are federally recognized by an Indian Tribe should attend this school. Students who lack financial support should also attend this school because the tution is affordable. If your friendly, open to other cultures, and outgoing this college is right for you.

Temeka

The traditional background the school offers the students. The background of the school and what our ancestors went through so that we might have a chance at a higher education. There is a closeness that the school offers that I do not believe most other universities offer their students.

I've gotten a real sense of who I am as Native American woman. I am inspired by just how many Native American women have their degrees and are making a difference in today's society. I know how important it is for me to be an example for the young children in my Lakota tribe. I will take back what I've learned here and show them that there is a better way and that there is a univeristy for Native Americans to strive and become better people. I am learning that more Native Americans need degrees so we can be counted in today's workplaces, schools, hospitals, etc. We have a voice that needs to be heard and traditions that have been passed down through many generations that can help in today's world. This is way I am so happy that I chose to attend Haskell. The values of respect, love, honor, and honesty have been taught in Native American families for a long time. We try and live our lives according to these values, and Haskell shows us how to live by them as young adults. It has prepared me for my future as an educator.

I wish I knew that there were so many different Native American tribes represented here before I heard about Haskell. I would have attended right out of high school. Also, the location of the school and how the weather is so humind during the fall semester.

Tyler

Haskell is best known as the leading college for American Indians. It offers a unique perspective in things like 'going green', as we know our ancestors offer a paradigm for sustainable living. Also to be noted is that Haskell was initially created in the late 1800's as a boarding school in which missionaries attempted to "kill the Indian and save the man." My ancestors language and cultural ceremonies were taken from them at the same school where today i can learn my language (Cherokee) and practice traditional ceremonies.

In my few years at Haskell Indian Nations University I have acheived many things and am still learning today. Initially i thought that college would make me an expert in some field and my learning process would be finished. However I am now at the conclusion that the more I learn the more i realize what I don't know. We live in an information age and it can become confusing at times but I feel Haskell has given me a sense of clarity to information. Meaning, I am able to systematical analyze the many messages I see in my community and properly react and adjust accordingly. The greatest gift I have been given at college would have to be from one of my professors who gave me the academic tools to think critically. If one thinks critically he/she can do most anything in the professional circuit. I am thankful for my professors and my tribe for helping me succeed in college and I plan on attending grad-school after I receive my bachelors in the upcoming year.

Haskell Indian Nations University is an inter-tribal Native American University. This means that only Native Americans can attend. My experiences as a student at Haskell have been difficult at times because I was not brought up in a traditional American Indian way. I am not from a reservation and grew up primarily in metropolitan areas. Haskell was a culture shock at first because of the many cultures that Native Americans represent. Therefore if you are not open to many differenet epistemologies than Haskell may not be in your best interest.

Lara

I helped establish the first sorority on my campus. I am a cheerleader for my university and I love it. I am also a part of AIBL (American Indian Business Leader). My campus has offered me a chance to get closer with my cultural background. It has made me meet a lot of friends that have come from the same background as me. I love my campus but I know it has it flaws. I want to be there to solve the problems and make it a better place.

I like how much closer it brings me to my culture and how much I can do for this campus.

Someone who isn't Native American since it's a all Native American school

Karissa

Getting to know people is hard, but just put yourself out there. Living in the dorms can be a difficult adjustment, so just get to know your dormmate and work out some rules. Go to class!! That's an important one, I learned the hard way. Eat in the cafeteria, also, because it is much cheaper than eating out. Just try to find that balance between work, school, and a social life. It's hard, but you can do it!

The fact that they have no online or night classes. Because a lot of schools offer them these days and they are very helpful to those who have to work and go to school.

They don't have night or online classes.

If I were allowed to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior; I would tell myself that I really need to make the decision on were I go to college. It's not our parents choice to make that decision, you'll regret it later. Another is I would tell myself would be that stay true to yourself and make mistakes that's how we grow into we are. Don't hold back on doing something just because you may get in trouble, that's a problem we've always had. Other than that I'm still learning I may have more to tell myself once I'm total finished with college but those are the only two that have really shaped my college experience thus far.

The racism and the lack of motivation this school has. The racism is I'm a white native and get judged for it constantly and the students at this school are mainly here for the wrong reasons.

Reign

If I could go back in time and speak to myself, I would stress the importance of a college education. In high school that was not something that I valued very highly, so now that I know, I would stress that to my hypothetical self. Another thing that I would say to myself would be to be confident that you could do it. Like I said before, I was diagnosed with a learning disability when I was young, so thoughts of going to college never crossed my mind. Now that I know I can do it, I would definitely share that information. I am extremely proud of the accomplishments that I have made so far in college, and I think that it would be important to share how fulfilling it really is.

Before I came to Haskell Indian Nations University, I wish that I would have known how rewarding college really is. Not only that, but before I enrolled in school, I was under the impression that college was too challenging for me, but now that I have three semesters under my belt I know that is not true. When I was young, I was diagnosed with a learning disability which has made school extremely difficult for me. I take pride in the fact that I have gotten this far, and plan to continue with my goal of a bachelors degree.

Haskell Indian Nations University is an extremely unique school because of the fact that all of the students are Native American and Alaska Native. Haskell is a culturally diverse school, and it offers its students much insight into studies related to Native Americans. However, a Haskell student will receive the same degree as any other university student. Haskell is an amazing school, and I strongly encourage young native people to come to Haskell and make a better life for themselves.

• $480

Haskell Indian Nations University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.