Haskell Indian Nations University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Haskell Indian Nations University

Josh

It is a great school and affordable

Cheryn

Haskell Indian Nations University is a great place to learn about current issues in Indian country. You meet tribes from all over and learn about different issues, but you also learn how much you have in common. It's tough, but you get stronger.

Norma

Haskell is one of the most ethnically diverse campuses that can be found anywhere. Most of the federally recognized tribes are represented on campus, and this cultural diversity is what makes Haskell so unique. When people think of Native Americans, they tend to either believe that we no longer exist or think that we are all one people. That can not be further from the truth. I was able to find myself at Haskell that would not be possible at any other university. I am Yupik, which is an Alaskan Native tribe. However, I did not grow up in Alaska, and I felt disconnected from my people and my traditions. Since coming to Haskell, I have joined Alaska Club. I have learned about my people's traditions and cultures. I have learned how to play many of the native games, and I have also learned to dance traditionally. When I dance, I feel closer to mother and my ancestors. My mother left me her traditional regalia when she past away, and I dance in her kuspuk, wear our family crown, and dance with her caribou dance fans. Haskell is the place that has allowed me this opportunity, and for that I can only hold this place in high regards.

Monique

So far I'm liking it. I really enjoy how the Professors are always available. From inside the classroom to their office hours all the way to email. They will always respond within an hour and really helpful with everything and they like to open our minds in ways that we have never seen.

Rayanna

Haskell Indian Nations University is a unique school, with a small campus near Kansas University. The students are all Native American or Alaskan Natives, with students from all over the United States. Located in Lawrence, KS, there are plenty of restaurants and stores to explore in free time. HINU provides programs with KU, allowing students to connect with both Universities. Class sizes are small, and the buildings are old, but the history on campus is interesting to hear about. The campus itself is beautiful, but the dorm rooms are worn down and old. The staff are friendly and are willing to provide help at any time. Curtis Hall, the dining hall, is a bit lackluster. The meals can be hit or miss, which is frustrating for a college student who does not want to eat out every night. The gym provided is small, but nice for someone who does not want to pay a gym membership. Overall, Haskell Indian Nations University is a great school for someone who wants to stay on a small campus with small classes. I know many students who attend to get their basic classes out of the way before going to a large school, which is a great idea for someone who wants to have low costs for the first few years. I am blessed to have the opportunity to attend Haskell Indian Nations University, despite it's issues.

Mayann

This universe is very diverse even though it's an all Native American university. The services and resources are phenomenal for how small the campus is. The faculty will do everything in their power to see you walk across that stage. So far, I'm absolutely loving it. I just wish my dorm had better wifi.

Justin

I am an incoming Freshman and have only been here a couple of months but I am enjoying myself so far. The school keeps us busy doing stuff. If we have extra time, they make local sport team tickets available to purchase. It has been great so far.

Gordon

Its a nice place for a strong foundation to set for your academic journey. The professors and higher classmen will always help you with what you need or show you the way to get help. I recommend it to anyone looking to save quite a bit of money and reducing the overall costs of schooling for your degree.

Sophia

Very good. Wish they had off campus housing.

Kylee

I absolutely love my school. I moved 7 hours away from my home to a town I never visited with high hopes. I have not been let down in my time at Haskell. Yes, there are always frustrations, but the good outweighs any bad here. We are a tribal institution, but are still diverse in tradition and culture. It feels like home here.

Kristen

I hope to be attending in the fall of 2019. My campus guide gave us tons of information and was super encouraging! Very nice campus! Everyone I met was willing to answer questions and do it with a smile. Class sizes are relatively small but that's the perfect size for me. Library was huge and had a homey feel. Students smiled as I walked by them or waved. Felt very open to me. I can't wait to be a apart of this school.

Adasia

Haskell Indian Nations University is an important and accredited University for Native American's that offers many opportunities to get culturally involved, like powwows as well as other classes or clubs concerned with Native American history, and includes an enriched Native American community in the surrounding area of Lawrence, Kansas that feels comfortable and safe.