Haverford, PA
Haverford College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Haverford College

Jonny

Not worth it. This school is for a very specific person. This person is one that really only cares about school. If you have any type of political opinion that is not incredibly liberal, you will be made to feel wrong and idiotic for having that opinion. There is no chance to have fun. The school is more of a boarding school than a true college.

Kevin

I majored in Chemistry with a biochemistry concentration so many of my classes were in the physical and biological sciences. Most of the work was challenging, but I learned a lot from my various courses. Most courses were research oriented but did offer some courses with a pre-medical focus. It is definitely a place with a strong focus on the sciences. I did take courses in other subjects such as history, philosophy, writing, and art which I felt made me well rounded as an individual. The class sizes were great overall which allows for more classroom discussion. Of course, the intro to Chemistry, Biology, and Organic Chemistry courses was big, since they're normally prerequisite courses, but the sizes were pretty manageable. The professors, staff, and administration were pretty nice and helpful. They're usually available if you have any questions regarding course work, starting clubs on campus, extra help in courses, volunteer opportunities, etc. I would describe their demeanor as down to earth so you don't have to feel so intimidated by them, but there a brilliant people who will get you to work to your best ability. As far as the grading system goes, the scale is different from traditional courses and usually, grades are not discussed openly. The grades that you can get in a course are as follows: Pass-fail, 4.0, 3.7, 3.3, 3.0, 2.7, 2.3, 2.0, 1.7, 1.3, 1.0, etc. As you can see, certain grade point averages are not possible in individual courses such as a 3.5. I don't know if this has changed though so double check with the college. There are courses that are pass-fail which is pretty much the same as other universities, but the registrar usually lists which classes fall into this category. You can take courses at other schools nearby such as Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, and Univerity of Pennsylvania. I didn't take courses off campus so I am unsure of the grading scale but I would assume that it's based on the policies of each respective university. Haverford has Quaker traditions and as such many of the values are reflected in the interactions on campus. I don't know how it is currently, but I remember people being really friendly and emphasizes diversity. At times I felt that this allowed for the expression of differing points of view that were perhaps not held by most people which are good in my view. Other times I felt that some students were doing their best to avoid dialogue to avoid offense which I understand, but it wasn't as bad as I heard on other campuses especially at the time I was attending. Another aspect unique to Haverford is that students are required to complete a senior thesis project for their major. They range in their scope from a 40-page document to a gallery exhibit showcasing artistic work, all of which are published at the college during the completion of senior year. Also, Haverford doesn't have a graduate school so much of the research done by professors are done with undergraduates and graduates at other institutions. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Haverford and was satisfied with my undergraduate school education. If you want smaller class sizes with more challenging curriculum to make you a well-rounded student, then I would suggest attending Haverford.

Ryan

This place honestly sucks. If your a science major, good luck. The work is endless and there is no reward until you graduate. You have no spare time to do anything other than think about science. The people are all weirdos, the food is garbage and the professors are too political or just dont teach. There is no grade inflation which sucks, The campus is garbage. The dorms suck. Worst decision to ever go here. My high school teacher's were better and actually cared about students not their precious work and I went to a public high school not some stupid sheltered private high school. This is bs for 70k a year. Waste. Dont go here. Rather go to a state school or a school nearby or even an ivy league.

Olivia
Great community

Great community

It's the people here that really make this school amazing. They're passionate about their academics and really care and look out for one another.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would firstly tell myself to calm down and that everything was going to turn out fine. Then I would tell myself that I would need another extension cord and more hangers. Finally I would tell myself to not be afraid to socially impose myself on my peers. In other words, to not worry about if my neighbors want to hang out with me, just go and hang out with them! Everyone starting college is in the same, friendless, lonely boat, so if you do not put yourself out there you will never get close with those people who you think seem cool from a distance. I would also tell myself to keep my door open when I was just hanging out in my room, because it makes you seem like a more friendly person. Finally I would encourage myself to take advantage of study spaces around campus because sometimes it's easier to concentrate when you're not in your bedroom surrounded by your undone laundry and unread books. This is your campus, use it!

Greg

What sets Haverford apart from other colleges is our Honor Code. It allows the students, faculty, and administrators to all engage in conversation to make the college experience better, safer, and more enriching for everyone involved. The Honor Code creates an atmosphere of trust and respect at the college and creates a greater sense of community than any other college I visited. It creates an environment that is extremely conducive to success without the cut-throat competition to which many other high-ranking institutions are prone.

Looking back, the most important piece of advice I could give myself as a high school senior would be to not stretch myself too thin during the first semester in college. During high school, I always prided myself in my ability to shoulder a workload that the mere thought of would cause others to shudder. I took more AP classes than anyone else and still managed to run on the track team. College, however, isn't as easy as high school. You can't get away with taking an intense courseload, playing a sport, and adjusting to the college lifestyle at the same time. I am not, however, saying that I would encourage anyone, especially myself, to slack during the first semester. I would just discourage overburdening myself with a rigorous courseload when it would be easier to space the work out throughout the year instead of cramming it all into one semester. I would tell myself that in order to succeed in all aspects of your college career, you have to evenly distribute your time and effort. You have to balance your endeavors if you want a high degree of success.

The only type of person that shouldn't attend Haverford is one who is close minded and has a serious problem accepting or tolerating another individual's way of life. Although Haverford is a very laid-back school, no one on campus will hesitate to confront another individual who isn't showing someone else the proper respect that they deserve. If you are the type of person that takes freely uses derogatory terms that are meant to insult a group of people, then you will be confronted, and potentially embarrassed, in front of the community.

Asha

When finding the right college, I would suggest that students apply and consider the schools that they could truly see themselves at and where they could most likely reach their goals. They should not plan to go somewhere just for the name of the school or choose a place solely based on finances. They need to pick a school where they feel they would be the most happy with; otherwise, the students would not enjoy their college experience to the extent that they potentially could. I strongly suggest that parents should not push their children into picking a school that fits more for the parents and not the students. Rather, the parents or legal guardians should support the students along the way and offer encouragement or positive advice when the students are unsure of what to do in the college process. Once in college, the students need to make sure they maintain a healthy, balanced life between their academics and social environment. Students must focus on their academics and develop a good, supportive circle of friends, not just within their year but also including upperclassmen and professors (who can certainly offer additional advice and guidance).

The quality of the food is not that great. There also aren't many food options for each meal. In addition, the housing on campus could use some improvement.

In the natural sciences, the level of research and lab experience we get as undergraduates is great. I also love the fact that I get to know my professors really well since all my classes are small and the professors make themselves readily available for students. Furthermore, I am able to take classes at other colleges nearby.

Pei

1) Though it is cheesy, make a list of what you want out of a college, no matter how crazy. What is it that you want to get out of college? Is it good prep for a great career, great friends, interesting academic/social experiences, chance to try something new or even be someone new, valuable connections for your future, a place different from high school and life at home, chance to change and grow, to find people who discusses Kant or Shakespeare at all times of the night, or time to find and define oneself? Find out what you want and chase it. 2) Don't read the things college sends you first. Read the "student says" accounts or visit the school and talk to students. Once you find reviews that match what you want, read more personal accounts. Look for the personality of the school. Then read what the school tells you. Schools are trying to sell their school with similar lines with other schools. What's really important is how you will experience and thrive at your ideal college. 3) Apply and decide what's best based on past experiences, present goals, and future investment. Good Luck!!

Honor Code: Gives community atmosphere-trust, concern, and respect for the individual and community. Affects social, academic, and all aspects of life at Haverford. Allows for self-scheduled/take-home tests, no need to discuss grades- leaving time to discuss serious philosophical or abstract theories of life and other miscellaneous things that come along. All the students are nerds in their own way and it is great to go to a school with so many brilliant people in a supportive and trusting environment. It's inspiring and motivating.

I wish I had known about the lack of diversity at this school. It is mostly upper-middle class, liberal students. There could also be more racial/ethnic diversity and more religious diversity (mostly atheist/non-denominational).

Jane

My classmates are a group of primarily white, upper middle and upper class kids mostly from the northeastern United States; many of them are Quakers, many of them are hardworking, many of them are kind of uptight, and a good few try not to take themselves/their work too seriously.

Firstly, I think parents should try to allow their child to select the best fit for them, although I realize it's a parent's responsibility to look out for a child. As for the students themselves, I think that it's important for a student to select an academic institution that reminds him or her of him/herself. That is, students should see their philosophies about learning and life reflected in the institution they choose to attend. It is important to be comfortable at college. On the other hand, it is also important for students to select schools that will challenge their current beliefs by virtue of a diverse student body, the school's location, the school's size, or in the courses offered at the college. In that sense, it is important to a student to find him/herself in a new position that brings both comfort and challenge.

Quality of the academics, certain professors in the humanities, and the ultimate frisbee team.

C

Our Honor Code, Customs program, and people. Each application Haverford recieves is read twice infront of the admissions commitee. The admissions commitee comes to concensus on every student accepted here. There has to be something special about a student who is accepted to Haverford. The Customs program ensures that the freshman are embraced into this tight community.

Spend a night at the college- You can't possibly understand the college from a walking tour around campus. You'll need to follow a student around, go to some classes, spend the night, go to a party. That's the best way to know what you'll be geting. As for making the most of the college experience, it's about balancing school work and friends and sports/clubs etc.. College is expensive so don't forget what you're there for: learning. But then again, it's about making new friends, finding your identity and who you are and who you want to become. College isn't for the closeminded, it's about transition, and growing, and becoming someone new: an adult who is able to find a job, a home, maybe a family and enjoying every second of it.

I wished I had known more about the workload. I expected college to be hard, but not this hard! Most of my friends at other colleges do 1/4 the amount of work I have. I'm grateful for it, though. I think it's teaching me never to settle in and always be trying my best.

Haverford College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.