Haverford College Top Questions

Haverford's classes are challenging without being intimidating. Most of the classes are small, especially above the intro level. All of my professors know my name and face. In order to keep classes small, there is a limited enrollment, which means that it takes a little effort to get into classes. The stress of the class lottery system, however, is worth it. It is easier for small classes (especially in the humanities and social sciences) to be discussion-based instead of lecture-based. To know that my comments and input into class are an important part of the class is very empowering, and encourage me to participate. Fords are generally driven to succeed. Nearly all the students in a given class actually want to be there because all the general distribution requirements are broad enough to find something enjoyable that will fulfill the requirement. Students have to take three classes in each of the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. There is also a social justice requirement, which requires students to take one class that examines inequality and prejudice. Examples of social justice classes include "Critical Issues in Education," "Modern Irish Literature," "Introduction to Anthropology," and "Native American Music and Belief." Freshmen need to take one semester of a writing seminar, and all students need to show proficiency in a foreign language or take a year of foreign language. Academics do not end once class is over. I've spent many a meal in the dining center hearing a friend enthusiastically describing what he did in organic chemistry lab or debating over philosophical views of the world. I can sincerely say that I learn something new every day, even on a Saturday.

Really tough academics. Professors are of the highest caliber. Classes are small. Plenty of opportunity to get to know your professor. Sometimes you will have to take initiative. People are sometimes shy to go to their professor in after office hours and talk to them, but the professors all encourage students to meet with them. Professors defintely know your name. Students study A LOT. Class participation very common - definitely helps you develop your ideas. My favorite conversations however take place outside the classroom - but the in class topics definitely stimulate out of class intellectual conversations. Academics are not competitive but very rigorous. English department is wonderful. Great professors, always eager to talk. Very helpful. English classes are demanding though - and how much you get out of them depends on how much you put in. If you do the readings and attend class you get a lot out of it. If you do neither, you can still get by with a B (if you can write), but you won't be getting the most out of the class. East Asian Studies department is also really intimate. You become very close with the professors and the studetns because there are so few of you and you spend a lot of time together (because of the intense number of hours of language classes). Education at Haverford definitely not geared towards getting a job. It's about developing your mind over four years. Teaching you how to think critically. Giving you skills. Learning new things. Getting your career started is up to you. But the career center is very helpful in that area. Academic requirements not hard. I like it because it makes you well rounded. not hard to fulfill but all encmopassing so that you dont just stick to classes in your major or department.

Haverford stands for not being academically competitive. While professors want students to push themselves to their highest achieving academic level, they do not encourage students to share their grades. The sharing of grades is a pretty controversial issue. It can lead to judgements about people that Haverford urges its students not to pass. Because a person recieves a D does not make him or her stupid. Grades don't necessarily correlate to how intellectually capable a student is. Haverford is a very tough school to get into, and every student was accepted for a reason. Students shouldn't be categorized by their achievement level.

Haverford is a tough, challenging place academically. Students here have to work hard to get through the classes. However, the professors are known for being really supportive and caring, and really going out of their way to help their students. I was a religion major, and felt really supported by every professor I had. People always joke with me (who don't go to Haverford) about the impracticality of majoring in religion, but honestly, I learned a ton as a religion major. I learned not only about religion as a topic, but about managing my time, thinking critically and analyzing texts. Professors at Haverford have high expectations, and will assign lots of reading and essay assignments. They really prepare students. I feel much stronger as a student, better able to express myself, and generally more confident academically than I did before coming to Haverford. Also, though professors are tough, I felt really close to a bunch of my professors, and have been to several of their houses, or out to eat with them. They go out of their way to support students beyond the classroom. They proved that they cared about us as people, not just as students. Also, one thing that I love about Haverford is the fact that though it is challenging academically, students are not competitive at all. In fact, it's taboo to talk about grades. I don't know my best friends' grades, and I actually really like that. We each did our own thing, and worked hard individually. That way, my biggest competition was myself.

Tori

Hard as hell BUT you get what you pay for and this school is good. So deal with the exams that seem hopeless, the labs that last forever, and the papers that have more red ink than black. It toughens you up while teaching you. So it can make you everything you hope for: brighter, more confidant, intellectual, and aware of the world around you.

Academics at Haverford are all about personal intellectual development. It's non-competitive because grades are neve publicly posted and students are actually mandated by the Honor Code not to talk about their grades. Students have intellectual conversations out of class but really not that often. The waffles smell like semen. Education is not geared towards getting a job at all but there is a career development office which you can go to a any time. Some people live to study, others not so much, but even the athletes and paty animals study pretty hard at least every week. If you didn't you wouldn't pass your classes. But you can find ways to skip readings and still know what's going on in the class although you may not be getting out of it as much as someone who is doing every assignment completely.

Professors definitely know everyone's names. Class sizes range from small (~30) to extremely small (~8). This past year I took the best, most intense, and smallest class I've ever taken. It was a sociology course over two semesters, about 12 students first semester and 7 second semester. Each semester the class bonded very closely, and by the end you really felt like a family. One thing I can say about Haverford classes is that you bond with your classmates. I've made a lot of friends (including my best) just by being in the same class as them.

Jeff

My first semester at Haverford I was a little bit worried that the workload was going to be far to great or that I would be outpaced by my peers, but that isn't the case. The teachers are there to help you succeed, and being a music major, most of my classes are very small, so if I ever need help, I can easily talk to the teacher one-on-one. As with most colleges, the intro classes in the popular majors (psychology, for example) can be really big, but at Haverford, that's a relative term. A big class is one that has more than 30 people and only something like Intro Psych would have more than 50 people in it. For the most part, students don't care too much about grades, they just have a drive to do well (for themselves, not based on what someone else, like a teacher, thinks) and learn things well. They will often help other classmates if anyone needs anything, and are not at all competitive with each other.

Classes at Haverford are really small (the average size is 14 students). Sometimes it is difficult to always be "on your game" but I know that the academic and intellectual benefit is worth it. Professors are welcoming, engaging and challenging. They respect student opinions and tend to value the concept of continual learning. My smallest class was eight people and we ended up having dinner (twice!) at the Professor's house. On the other end of the spectrum, my largest class, Economics of Public Policy, was about sixty-five people but the Professor learned all of our names--only working to further demonstrate that intense committment and involvement of Haverford professors. The academic environment is non-competitive almost to an extreme in which many people do not even discuss grades with their peers.

Great classes if you're ino English, Anthropology, or Science. Other things are a bit more bland.

Royce

It is rigurous and alot of work, most classes are engaging and small that helps learn in a more concentrated environment but there is alot of pressure and hard work and you well spend a many sleepless nights on papers, tests, problems sets and homework.

I've already mentioned that Haverford is a small school. In the realm of academics this is both excellent and not so good. Not so good: Course offerings. A small school can only offer so much at a time. Thus lots of classes are only offered one semester a year instead of both. For its size Haverford does an amazing job, but it has its limits. That said, you can also take courses at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore, so in the end you do have a very wide selection. Excellent: Professor accessibility and class size. The biggest classes you'll be in are intro courses, and the largest I've heard of had maybe 50 students. That may sound like a lot, but when you consider that big universities will fill lecture halls with hundreds of students, it's actually amazing. Most classes however, have less than 20 students. Also, professors are amazingly accessible. All professors have office hours and really like it when people come. They love getting to know their students and are happy to help. You'll see your professors around campus and they'll say hi, and lots of professors will have dinners and such at their houses with their students. As mentioned earlier, students can take classes at Bryn Mawr or Swarthmore, the two other colleges of the Tri-Co. It is really common for students to take classes at or even major at Bryn Mawr. I, for example, am an Italian major, which does not exist at Haverford so I am majoring at Bryn Mawr. There is the Blue Bus which runs all day every day between Bryn Mawr and Haverford so that it's easy to get to classes. Haverford is completely undergraduate, so there are lots of research opportunities that can't be found almost anywhere else. Most people seem to be at Haverford to learn for its own sake, but the Pre-Med program is very job oriented. Other than Pre-Med, though, people seem to be learning because it's interesting and while they have goals and jobs in mind, they don't let that control their studies. People are not competitive because we are not supposed to talk about our grades, which is nice.

Professors at Haverford know everyone's name by the second meeting of a class. They make an effort to know thier students as individuals, not just people sitting in a room. All classes are challenging, even the introduction courses that are labeled 100 courses. In all of teh classes the professors work closely with the stiudents making sure that the student is learning as much as possible in the course.

Jen

The faculty to student ratio could definitely be better, and in fact the school is hiring more faculty to help this problem. Lower-level classes can be huge, and seminar classes are sometimes only sparsely available in some departments. For example, in the psychology department, there is only one seminar class offered, and I could not even take it because the year it was offered I was a sophomore and did not get into the lottery, and it hasn't been offered since then. I have generally been lucky with getting into the classes that I need but the first week of classes is always stressful in terms of seeing which classes you get into and don't get into. I am a psychology major and feel really lucky to have worked with the professors in that department. They are all really nice and approachable and want to see you succeed. They are also all excellent professors on top of being brilliant. It's too bad though that there are too many majors now, which makes it hard sometimes for majors to get into the classes that they need to satisfy their major requirements. Self and Identity with Jen Pals was an awesome class, and anything taught by Ben Le is always fun and interesting. Classes are generally really hard and require lots of work. In my experience Bryn Mawr classes are easier, though some have told me that this is not always the case. Students study a lot! Do not come here if you do not want to work hard. On week-nights it's generally hard to find people doing things other than studying. Haverford students do have intellectual conversations outside of class; I have met some of the most smart and interesting people in my time here. People are mostly very passionate about their fields of interest. The Honor Code breeds a non-competitive nature here. In my experience students help each other succeed and do not talk about grades, though of course there are exceptions. In the pre-med department people are more competitive with each other, I think because (and I am not sure if this is true) only a few pre-med students with the top grades get recommendations for medical school from the faculty. Once you get to the upper level classes of your major it's more likely that you'll get to know professors better. Some of the requirements are a pain, especially if you are not a natural sciences person (you need to take 3 natural science courses to graduate). There are easy natural science courses that can satisfy this requirement, but tbecause a lot of people need these courses it could be hard to get in. Education at Haverford generally helps people more with getting into graduate school than with getting a job, unless you major in economics or math. Of course, the state of the economy is really bad right now which means my opinion might not be representative of how it really is.

Professors know your name and work closely with you in the classroom and outside of it on things from academic work of your own and theirs to completely different areas of life in extracurriculars and on college committees. some professors though are pain since they put their own needs at time in front of the students, and while incredibly demanding don't hold up on their end of the bargain. This rare though but not unique to Haverford, its a problem with academia as a whole. Students, for the most part, study quite a bit as this is a challenging college that can be quite demanding. There are those who break from the mold, and not ina good way, they goof off and try/do everything to get by/around the system without doing what they are supposed to. This number at times seems large but it depends on the class. I wouldn't say there is any grade inflation here though, but neither, perhaps deflation? Competition is discouraged here as the idea of personal intellectual growth is the main aim, and grades are not talked about while academic and intellectual discussion occur regularly. This doesn't some though and this is a bit of a simplistic and idealistic idea. It also tends to stop recognizing people who should be recognized for their incredible work. This is slowly changing though with the College breaking away from what they thought it meant to be Quaker to embracing better ideals that help everyone. The Honor Code, which is both social and academic, allows for a very different feel to this college. Take-home exams, and self scheduled finals are the norm and students and faculty pride themselves greatly on doing their OWN work, though, of course, everyone absolutely expects everyone else to be doing their own work and the community holds each other to the highest standards. The education at Haverford,a liberal arts college, is not geared to getting you a job, though it certainyl doesn't hurt one's chances, and our CDO does help a lot. Occassioanlly, some people do covert jobs and money but the message is pretty clear here, its not more learned or more anything, it is about a better education and doing not only well for oneself but good for all. Over 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of Haverford students continue their education within a few years out, with many earning their PhDs, MDs, JDs, MBAs etc. Acceptance rates are very high for this post education and to many top grad and professional programs. the education at Haverford though above all prepares each student to go out into the world and use the tools learned there to explore and discover as well as give back. Class size is usually very small. It literally ranges from 1 on 1 with a professor to at most about 80 students (very very rare) who do meet regularly with the Professor and only have TAs to give extra help outside the classroom. The college offers a lot of experiential learning, as well, through Extern and Intern ships, work with professors and alumni, funding for work with various organizations around the world, and more, even student desgined and taught classes (though these are non-credit but incredible opportunities)

Challenging.

The academics are demanding, just like at any other elite liberal arts school. But they aren't TOO demanding. If you stay on top of your work you can learn a lot and get good grades. Haverford students have been known to extend academics outside the classroom. I've taken part in many philosophical discussions about either course material or life in general during my time. The professor/student relationship is phenomenal as well. Professors are always open for meetings, and they actually teach the courses, unlike at many large schools (where they are taught by TAs). If you want to have a good relationship with a professor, it is very easy to do so.

Mandy

Academics are the reason I came to a school like Haverford--because of the honor code, small student body and liberal arts experience. The smaller body allows a lot more personal interaction, both with other students but also with professors. Classes are much more engaging and smaller. The most students I've ever had in a class is about 40, while others of mine have had 10. There always small enough that I get the opportunity to participate and speak. Professors of the smaller classes know my name, but all hold office hours to allow the chance to interact more personally with the professor and to get some more help. It's a very personalized experience, which I love, and I know I would have a hard time finding something like this anywhere else. It's nice because the school affords a small school feel while allowing access to bigger-school resources. I can also go take classes at Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, or UPenn which I find really widens my options. The academic requirements are for the most part really doable. To fill the education studies requirements, you have to know that's what you want to do from the beginning. But other than that, they seem really doable.

I recently went to the Religion departmental picnic. It was outside at my advisor's house on campus, across from the duck pond. There were probably 7 professors and 20 students. A beloved visiting professor who's time at Haverford is up almost shed a tear saying his goodbyes, a student sang and played guitar, my advisor gave me a book for summer reading, and I learned that my New Testament professor makes a killer brownie. Take her class. It's amazing.

Academics are rather demanding. It is nice that everyone tends to be very interested in their school work, and there are plenty of classes that are on the easier side, where only a couple hours of work is needed a week, and there are plenty of interesting intro level classes, or fairly easy classes that are of a very different quality or focus at Bryn Mawr. Many of the classes are extremely challenging and require a lot of work, up to 8 hours a week, but at the end you are extremely knowledgeable about something you never knew about before. Not all, but many of the professors are great, interesting, knowledge, friendly, or at least fairly easy, although there are some crazy ones (both good and bad kind of crazy), world famous ones (both good and bad) or strict demanding ones (only good if you want a lot of work/really want to know...in that way). There are many departments, but because we are a small school there is some limitation, although there are some majors, like geoloy, environmental biology, or linguistics at Swat or BMC. We have amazing natural sciences departments, and one of the best pre-med departments in the country, but it is highly demanding, and many people come to this school interested. I believe that over 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}of the people who continue al the way through the pre-med program get into their first choice medical school. This is a rigorous plan though, and not to be followed lightly. The most annoying bit is that everyone must take PE classes and especially the "fitness" class where you learn about your body. This is not a bad idea in itself, but no one retains the information, and the class tends towards being a joke because no one gets academic credit for it, only PE credit- although it does get students familiar with the gym, which is a great place. That being said, I do generally like it that we have a mixed set of academic requirements, so that we are must try all different sorts of academic areas. After all college is one of the last places that we can truly explore our interests, and it is good that we are required to be well informed in many areas of academic knowledge.

Davo

Hey, they're good, but they'll assume there is nothing to life other than studying.

The education at Haverford is definitely grounded in the liberal arts. You are encouraged (and required) to test out all different fields, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and the Humanities. This creates a very well rounded student who didn't just come in freshman year with a one job mindset and neglected to discover other talents and interests. Taking classes outside of your comfort level is really benefitting, and I think employers are looking for people that can think in many different ways through many different perspectives than simply a one minded angle. Haverford teaches you to do this and I credit the liberal arts education with this advantage.

Patrice

The academics are great. Classes are small even the intro courses. Students study alot and are very conscientious about their grades. Students do have intellectual convos outside of class. The most unique class i've taken was a writing seminar on poverty. It was great.

Annie

Every single class I've had at Haverford has been stimulating. The intro-level classes are the biggest, generally, but that's still only 40 people at most (unless you take something like gen. chem or intro. psych)--and professors always know your name after the first couple of weeks. Students have a mixture of incredibly intellectual and completely silly and unimportant conversations outside of class. People at Haverford pretty much are doing work all of the time, but for some reason it doesn't seem like a stressful environment at all. Education is definitely geared toward learning for its own sake--Haverford truly is a liberal arts college in that respect.

Jess

Professors are great. Very approachable/lovable. Sometimes hit or miss, but it's easy enough by word of mouth to know which professors to skip and which to campaign to get into classes with. Lots of intellectual conversations outside of class, lots of genuine interest in subjects. Students love to be in class and debating, and there's no embarrassment to being the "smart kid". I spend lots of time with professors outside of class - they're easy just to hang out with. I wish we didn't have divisional requirements, because I'm fairly confident I would fully experience the college life WITHOUT taking prob/stat.

Sally

small classes are great. all my professors have been amazing and so helpful and willing to help. grades are not talked about and not thought about, until the end when they come out. during the semester, grades are so hard to judge because they are never broadcast. i love the liberal arts atmosphere that lets me take whatever i want, and pushes my horizons. students are all brilliant so sometimes there is awe with some of the student, but everyone is at such a high level that it evens out. all my professors know my name and are so friendly. they are rigorous that most people cannot handle any more than 4 a year. it's completely fine to take 3 and people are shocked when people chose to take 5.

Torry

Academics are really strong at Haverford. Most classes beyond introductory classes are smaller than 15 people and the teachers really get to know who you are. Even the professor for the largest class at the school (around 150 people) knows my name. Last week I actually played video games and sang karaoke with several of my professors outside of class. Most students here are really smart, but would probably benefit from studying. A few of the dedicated ones really go above and beyond the necessary work, but most seem to be pretty laid back and procrastinate horribly on everything they do (myself included). Yet no one is really competitive and grades are almost never discussed. Most classes past the intro classes are pretty difficult and assign lots of work. But it isn't too hard to strike up a balance between academics and a social life. Unless of course one is taking both Bio and Orgo, which is what most of the Pre-Med students do Sophomore year.

Walker

Academics are pretty phenomenal, for certain subjects. Some of our departments (sociology) are tiny. I'm not a science-oriented person, but science students, particularly pre-med students, love the natural sciences here. I've found that all of my English, Foreign Language, and Education courses have been very small (my two French courses were 6 students each semester) and discussion-based, which I enjoy. The coursework can be overwhelming, but Professors are very easy to talk to and will usually give you an extension. The tests are especially nice since, under the honor code, you can take them wherever you want, whenever you want, and just proctor yourself. The humanities seem very academic, as opposed to focusing on careers - sciences are more practical towards working in a lab or med school. Haverford students tend to be casual and hate pretentiousness, so conversation tends to be more about life than classes. Talking about grades, or academically competitive behavior, is very frowned upon.

The professors at Haverford are great. They want students to do well. If you look for their help they will give it to you. My French professor truly cares about everyone in my class, and is always willing to meet or answer emails. I see him in passing and he says hello and knows my name. I had the best math teacher I've ever had last semester. His lectures were organized and I learned so much. He had office hours all the time, and was willing to give advice about majoring and even lent me a textbook.

Louis

I was in the biggest class in the school, and the Professor knew everyone's name in the first 3 weeks. It really feels like a small class environment, even in the bigger classes. People aren't afraid to ask questions, and the teachers are really helpful both in and out of class. It is a fair amount of work, but there's enough free time to get by, although there are definitely times where work has to consume pretty much all my time. The requirements are easy to fulfill.

With the exception of General Chemistry, in every course I've taken this year my professors have learned my name and in some cases I have had in depth conversations with them. Getting in contact with them is extremely easy and they are readily available for casual discourse of problems/questions/concerns about assignments and course material. Students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class. That said, there's plenty of room to be silly and find people that share activities that are for pure nonintellectual enjoyment. None of the courses I've taken so far are particularly unique. However, I'm enrolled in a history course next fall that's called "Introduction to African Civilizations." I think that sounds really exciting and interesting and definitely out of the ordinary. Education here is definitely geared toward learning for its own sake. However, there is a very helpful career center. I'm forgetting what it's called, but it's very helpful and a lot of students use it to secure internships while they're here and explore employment opportunities after school.

One of my favorite things about Haverford is the fact that all of my professors know my name. First semester I was in an 80 person class, which is unusual for Haverford, but the professor still took the time to learn all of our names. How much a student studies really depends on the student, but classes are hard here so students will study a lot. Luckily, Haverford discourages students from talking about their grades so competition is very rare and students often work together and help their classmates.

Jo

There are so many teachers compared to students that many of my professors know my name. Whatever you major in the professors will definitely know your name so that's really cool. Students aren't really competitive since you can't really tell the grade out in the open which is good and i tend to have very intellectual conversations with my friends since they are all so smart in different aspects. The education is very difficult when it comes to classes. You have to work for a good grade but the diploma goes far in the real world since a lot of important people know Haverford. The honor code plays a huge role in academics because i loved the idea of either having take home tests or self-scheduled finals.

Janna

Academics are challenging, but I have never felt them to be unreasonable. Professors are extremely chill and approachable, and because they get to know each student individually, are inclined to be more flexible. A major difference (from my high school, at least) is that here, talking about grades is frowned upon. Nobody will ask you how you did on an exam, and nobody will expect (or want) you to volunteer the information. This unwritten rule keeps us smart kids from getting competitive-- our motivation comes from our own aspirations, not from fear of judgment by others.

Professors are generally great. Classes are super hard, but can be very interesting. Don't think you'll use anything you learn in class in the real world, but that's not the point.

Kendra

Class participation is very common, sometimes even when it is just a lecture class. I can't really say much about classes because I'm only a freshman, but the teachers tend to focus around the students and like discussions and questions. Students here aren't very competitive on the outside, maybe internally they are, because of the Honor Code. Which leads to studying, it's easy to get a study group together and it's the normal amount of studying: 3 hours for every 1 hour in class. I'm pissed that they don't have a fine arts minor. But other then that the academic requirements are acceptable, not so different than other colleges I believe.

Haverford is a very intellectual school. One of the best things I forgot to mention above is that the school is not competitive at all. People don't talk about grades and don't really focus on grades too much. Even in my huge classes (huge being 100) the professors all take the time to get to know each student. People here love to share their opinions, so class participation is never a problem. Intellectual conversations take place everywhere; in classes, in the dining hall, in dorm rooms, and outside. Haverford's academic requirements are meant to give each student a solid foundation in each discipline although sometimes they feel like a burden, especially for those non science people who have to fulfill natural science requirements.

Allix

Most of the classes I've taken so far have all been relatively small and more intimate than typical Freshman college classes. Professors usually try to remember your name for the most part, unless the class is too big.

Simon

There is no Pre-Med or Pre-Law major, there's almost nothing to complain about. The school is so small that only a few spectacular courses are offered each semester.

Liz

My professors absolutely know my name and participation is very common in every class except for the occasional large intro classes. Students do study a lot, but there's not much competition at all. People don't talk about grades and for the most part there's a sense of competing with yourself to do the best you can. The academic requirements are very reasonable, except that pre-med students have a double workload sophomore year as part of the "weeding" process. My most unique class is probably a writing about science class that I'm taking right now just because I figured, as a science person who hates writing, that it would really make me a stronger writer (and it has!). Within my department the professors are really awesome but also spread too thin. The psych department has grown really rapidly over the past few years, so we're working on hiring new faculty members to meet the demands of the major. Our department also has a breadth requirement, which is really great because there are a lot of different areas of psychology covered (like biopsychology, personality, social psychology, primate society, etc.). I've been able to work in my professor's lab for the past two years, and between that and the required senior psych thesis I'm a strong candidate for research positions right now.

Academics are obviously one of the reasons for coming to Haverford. When I applied, I didn’t even know that we are one of the Top Ten colleges in the country, but I did know that it would be a challenge. Of course I know my professors by name! You don’t? A lot of us are on first-name basis. My favorite class in my college career was Psychology of Language. I’m a French major and love Spanish as well, and I have always been a fan of grammar and pronunciation; so learning about how we learn and speak languages was an incredible experience. My least favorite class? Ummm, let me look at my transcript, hold on. Ah yes, my required Freshman Writing Seminar. I enjoyed the books we read (Frankenstein, The Odyssey, etc.), but the classes were not stimulating enough. Haverford students have intellectual conversations outside of class ALL THE TIME. I know that I do it a few times a day, mostly with my people on my hall. As I said, I’m a French major, and although I did not have a very helpful advisor, the faculty is mostly quite friendly and wants you to succeed. There is supposed to be a literature track and a culture track, but the differences are pretty much non-existent. I love spending time outside of class with my favorite Spanish prof; I wish I had more time to spare. My education here at Haverford is mostly geared toward learning for its own sake; we have career counseling to help us figure out our future!

Very strong academics, they don't have grade inflation at all so watch out. The profs are great for the most part. 100-level classes can really suck, but 200 and above are great - they're smaller, on really interesting subjects that the professor is actually passionate about and most of the students in them are too (they're not just there to fulfill a requirement). Most people are sincerely interested in what they learn, and if you poke around the different departments you can find a lot of funding and support for what you want to do. One word of warning - don't come to Haverford expecting to find EVERYTHING you want, it's a small school and with that come good things AND bad things, such as not having the number of classes or the breadth of subjects that you'd find at a big university. Which in my case might almost be a good thing - there are so many fascinating things to learn and classes that look great that I can hardly decide which classes to take as it is! The history department is especially strong and all the profs are great - my one regret is that, as a small school, we don't have an Africanist (that's my area of specialization). The best class I took ... hmmm ... might have been a Sociology class called "Race, Class, and Education" with Professor Gould. He has a reputation for being a fierce old arrogant asshole. He was. He was also a GREAT professor, especially if you were willing to admit that you didn't know everything and let him tell you that he did ... he completely changed the way I thought, taught me to make an argument, and epitomized what I came to Haverford for - to learn how to think and to learn about real issues in American society that we are not exposed to in our little castle-on-the-clouds of Academia.

Professors do know you by name, even in the largest of lectures. Students study generally anytime they have free. Class participation is varied, there are definitely some individuals who are more outspoken than others. At higher levels students spend time with professors out of class. Academic requirements are very flexible and the Career Development Office is outstanding with networking, getting jobs and learning about opportunities.

I regularly meet with professors outside of class. They make it a point to learn your name. They are intelligent, over-qualified, lively and passionate about their work. They will push you to excel. Some students study non-stop while others pursue more extracurricular activities. More than half are involved in student sports, both varsity and club. More than 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the class of 2009 will have studied abroad for one semester. The opportunity is incredible and coming back was made much easier because I was coming home to Haverford. Business is not a career that most students look to pursue. Graduate school, medical school, not-for-profits and education are high on the list. Haverford embraces learning for the sake of learning and students may be surprised to find that little of the work towards securing jobs comes from the college.

I've always tell people that Haverford is amazing in the way it sparks your interests in academics. I came here never having taken a class in Classics, and after my first semester I began considering majoring in it. In all of my classes, I am known by name to the teacher, and only about one of my classes a semester has more than twenty-five students. One class had four. I've worked for teachers outside of class on their own projects and joked with them in class. Haverford's academics really are pointed more towards academics than vocational training (says the Classics major). And not only are classes great, but I've probably had more intellectual discussions OUTSIDE of class than in. And that's a statement about the students, not the classes. Finally, the Honor Code creates a very relaxed test and paper environment- many tests are take home, even when they're closed-book, and teachers will trust the students not to cheat.

I'm a prospective religion major, and the religion department is beyond amazing. However, academics at Haverford, like everywhere else, are hit-or-miss. Students definitely work really hard, are for the most part really interested in their classes, and are intellectually curious outside of class. Competition between students is much less noticeable than at other, similar institutions; this is probably due to the presence of the Honor Code. Students help each other with classwork a lot, but discussion about exams and grades is almost non-existent. Also, there is definite opportunity to get to know your professors outside of class. One of my friends and I took our professor out to lunch just the other day, and it's really easy to find professors during the day and have interesting discussions, class-related or otherwise.

Torry

Last semester, I took General Chemistry with over sixty students (probably Haverford's biggest class) and the professor knew all of our names. Class sizes are small and most are discussion-based. I have two favorite classes. One was a Comparative Literature class with seven students. Discussion was fantastic and, to top things off, we ate at the professor's house twice for dinner. The reason I chose Haverford was because it is noncompetitive. Don't get me wrong- it is rigorous academically. But, as part of the Honor Code, we don't talk about grades and professors encourage us to work with, not against, each other. Also, because of our academic Honor Code, we have no proctored exams and many take-home exams, which takes off a lot of pressure.

Ricky

Academics at Haverford are very rigorous. If you come here, be prepared to work. Of course there are easier courses than others, however overall Haverford teaches you how to work. What is good about Haverford academics is that classes are relatively small and you will for the most part get to know your professors on a closer level than you would at a big school. Class participation exists mostly in syllabi. I find in discussion oriented classes, especially when difficult issues concerning race or class arise within the poli sci department, Haverford students stay quiet. I tend to have many intellectual conversations with my friends outside of class. The school claims that grades shouldn't be discussed and that there isn't an air of competition however do not be fooled. People compete within the hours that they study, they just don't often gloat about it. Certain Haverford subjects are geared towards learning while others are geared towards getting a job, like economics.

The small class sizes are why I focused my college search on small liberal arts schools. I don't think I've ever taken a class where the professor didn't know my name, except for perhaps a semester of introductory psychology. Class sizes are bigger for specific major-related classes (bio 200 and orgo), as well as very popular classes, but I don't think any classes are larger 140 students, and those are few and far between. I would say every student spends at least some time on homework every night of the week, including weekends. On the other hand, professors are always available whether that's limited to office hours or they spend their free time in their office with the door open. Most are very responsive to emails at any time during the week, and i've definitely gotten responses back at 3 or 6 am. While students are very competitive in working hard and pursuing a good grade, this usually is within the individual. I almost never hear someone say what grade they got on a paper or test, but instead talk about doing better/worse than expected. If you were to outright ask what score a person received, you would probably be met with a stunned or surprised look.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class has to be any class with Prof. Miller. Class participation gets to be aggravating because a lot of the students think that they are really smart and feel the need to comment on everything discussed in class. The most unique class that I have taken would have to either be acting at Bryn Mawr or Global Ethics with Gangadean. I am a philosophy major and I like most of the professors in the department, however there are some that I avoid like the plague. Most Haverford students aim to either become doctors or lawyers, so the education is usually aimed toward either one of those goals.