Haverford College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Haverford College

Olivia

It's the people here that really make this school amazing. They're passionate about their academics and really care and look out for one another.

Ryan

This place honestly sucks. If your a science major, good luck. The work is endless and there is no reward until you graduate. You have no spare time to do anything other than think about science. The people are all weirdos, the food is garbage and the professors are too political or just dont teach. There is no grade inflation which sucks, The campus is garbage. The dorms suck. Worst decision to ever go here. My high school teacher's were better and actually cared about students not their precious work and I went to a public high school not some stupid sheltered private high school. This is bs for 70k a year. Waste. Dont go here. Rather go to a state school or a school nearby or even an ivy league.

Kevin

I majored in Chemistry with a biochemistry concentration so many of my classes were in the physical and biological sciences. Most of the work was challenging, but I learned a lot from my various courses. Most courses were research oriented but did offer some courses with a pre-medical focus. It is definitely a place with a strong focus on the sciences. I did take courses in other subjects such as history, philosophy, writing, and art which I felt made me well rounded as an individual. The class sizes were great overall which allows for more classroom discussion. Of course, the intro to Chemistry, Biology, and Organic Chemistry courses was big, since they're normally prerequisite courses, but the sizes were pretty manageable. The professors, staff, and administration were pretty nice and helpful. They're usually available if you have any questions regarding course work, starting clubs on campus, extra help in courses, volunteer opportunities, etc. I would describe their demeanor as down to earth so you don't have to feel so intimidated by them, but there a brilliant people who will get you to work to your best ability. As far as the grading system goes, the scale is different from traditional courses and usually, grades are not discussed openly. The grades that you can get in a course are as follows: Pass-fail, 4.0, 3.7, 3.3, 3.0, 2.7, 2.3, 2.0, 1.7, 1.3, 1.0, etc. As you can see, certain grade point averages are not possible in individual courses such as a 3.5. I don't know if this has changed though so double check with the college. There are courses that are pass-fail which is pretty much the same as other universities, but the registrar usually lists which classes fall into this category. You can take courses at other schools nearby such as Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, and Univerity of Pennsylvania. I didn't take courses off campus so I am unsure of the grading scale but I would assume that it's based on the policies of each respective university. Haverford has Quaker traditions and as such many of the values are reflected in the interactions on campus. I don't know how it is currently, but I remember people being really friendly and emphasizes diversity. At times I felt that this allowed for the expression of differing points of view that were perhaps not held by most people which are good in my view. Other times I felt that some students were doing their best to avoid dialogue to avoid offense which I understand, but it wasn't as bad as I heard on other campuses especially at the time I was attending. Another aspect unique to Haverford is that students are required to complete a senior thesis project for their major. They range in their scope from a 40-page document to a gallery exhibit showcasing artistic work, all of which are published at the college during the completion of senior year. Also, Haverford doesn't have a graduate school so much of the research done by professors are done with undergraduates and graduates at other institutions. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Haverford and was satisfied with my undergraduate school education. If you want smaller class sizes with more challenging curriculum to make you a well-rounded student, then I would suggest attending Haverford.

Jonny

Not worth it. This school is for a very specific person. This person is one that really only cares about school. If you have any type of political opinion that is not incredibly liberal, you will be made to feel wrong and idiotic for having that opinion. There is no chance to have fun. The school is more of a boarding school than a true college.