Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hawaii Pacific University

Tamara

HPU has some good and some bad qualities. Among the best qualities is diversity. The diversity on this campus is incredible. I've met people from all over the world including Finland, Norway, Sweden, Thailand, and even from all states in the mainland. The faculty is also very diverse and they always have new and interesting perspectives on topics. I feel like this is a key in learning. The homeless population on and off campus is horrendous, but in a way is beneficial. It really makes you see what the real world is like and teaches you how to handle yourself. Our campus is also located in one of the most beautiful states in America. There are always plenty of things to do (hiking,beaches, volunteering, etc.) and if someone isn't into the partying/club scene, there is always something to do. The campus is undergoing a great deal of changes right now between finishing ATM and switching over from the Loa campus. It is part of the learning process and even gives the students a way to be apart of the growing community that HPU has to offer. The school academically, aesthetically, and socially has a lot to offer. It is a vast community of people from all over the world coming together for two reasons: experience and education.

Dez
Mediocre

Mediocre

Classes are small but academics is mediocre for the amount you are paying. Most people go here because of the beaches and laid back lifestyle. It is not so much about the standards of education I would not have attended HPU had I known what it was really like. You are essentially sharing building with other businesses. Also, there are plenty of homeless people roaming around "campus grounds."

Pauline

Stereotype of the college student as being keen to just party. In my experience, while college means parties. Getting good grades is equally important.

The Professors are dynamic. One such professor produces documentaries when he is not lecturing. They are friendly, approachable and helpful.

Jesse

Amazingly diverse, the student body is so mixed up with people from all over the world that even though I am from Hawai'i since birth, I sometimes feel like a minority in my classes. But this is great because it gives me the feeling and experience of having gone away for college but in reality I haven't gone anywhere.

I'm not sure if there is one because our student body is so diverse, there can't be one particular statement or claim to be made about all the students that go to HPU. We have basically any ethnicity one can imagine, along with a variety of financial backgrounds, religions, etc. It's really close to impossible for someone to make an umbrella statement about all the students of HPU.

Academics are very good, in my opinion. The classes are challenging so nothing is free but in the pursuit of a college education, I don't believe there should be any hand-outs. The teachers, all of the one's I've had at least, have been greatly helpful and encouraging, addressing my needs and giving me the assistance when I need it.

It's very easy to go unnoticed in college, no one really notices if you keep to yourself, I mean this in a positive way. College is not like high school in that you get to know everyone in your class and you all become really close over the course of four years, so it's kind of nice to just be able to do your own thing and live your life independently.

Andrew

My school is one of the most diverse schools in the United States. Not only do I meet students from all over the world, I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. The Hawaiin Islands are filled with adventures as well as geological wonders. HPU offers a split campus; where those who love the country can live on the Loa side, and those that prefer the city can live in Honolulu. The downtown campus is a walking mall lined with restaurants of every ethnicity; alongside shops and one of the oldest churches in Hawaii.

I would remind myself that I am working towards something; a better life and an adventure that I couldn't possibly imagine while in high school. No class, club or activity is meaningless, and it can all be used to build a profile for the future. I would tell myself to get involved; because the teamwork will be important later in life. I would also tell myself to follow my interests, and not to worry about following the crowd. There will be a day that there is a fit for my interests. I would remind myself to not worry about social struggles. There is a world out there where everyone fits in, and where everyone has a unique spot to fill. Finally, I would tell myself that my parents were right. They told me that high school would seem distant once I started college, and that there was a whole new reality that is exciting and interesting and feels relevent towards meeting my goals in life.

Getting around the island can be frustrating, and takes planning. Most students use the Bus system, which is very reliable, but can take twice the time, making stops along the way. If you have a class on the Loa side, it can take 40 minutes to get there on the shuttle due to bad traffic. Traveling from the Loa side to the downtown campus is the same long ride due to traffic. If you do own a car, parking is very expensive. I don't recommend a moped; they can be dangerous and are often stolen.

KristyLee

Thus far, my college experience has taught me many different things that would have been nice to know about in high school. College is actually twenty times harder than high school and there is no such thing as studying the night before and getting an A on an exam. I would tell my high school self to enjoy the amount of academic freedom because once you get to college, things get much harder. I would definitely tell myself to loosen up a little and learn to say NO sometimes. In high school I had many responsibilities that ranged from being class president, being a captain of wrestling team, national honor society, and helping my dad raise my two younger siblings. I would always say yes when someone asked a favor of me, and sometimes it got the best of me. I would always be exhausted physically and mentally, but somehow I made it work. I learned to be an independent hard working young lady.

Before attending Hawaii Pacific University, I wish I knew more about finding and apply for scholarships. I am the first of my family to attend college, so we were unaware the ridiculous tuition prices and how we would be able to afford it. I live with my dad who is a single father caring for me, my two younger sisters, and his mother. Therefore, finances can quickly exhaust in my household. I’ve been trying my best to apply for scholarships.

When I brag about my school to my friends and family, I tend to emphasize the academic success rate. I have never been in a place surrounded by so many knowledgeable people. There are also others things that I really enjoy about this school such as the small class sizes. Class sizes can range from ten to fifty people. This allows professors to provide a student with one on one interaction, aided toward academic success. The professors truly care about your success in and out for the classroom, they help you reach your full potential.

Devyn

Really learn about your financial aid and apply for as many scholarships, grants, and whatever other free money you can have.

The size of both campuses

How expensive it really is to live in hawaii and that they would raise the tuition every year.

Tiana-Lei

Hawai'i Pacific University is a school of diversity and aloha, anyone is welcomed and encouraged to learn new things.

The first thing I would tell my high-school-senior-self is to be more aware of the events happening around the globe. In college, professors will always mention the news (local, national, and global). My first semester of taking World Geography, I had no idea what the professor was talking about and I should have been more updated about the world news while I was in high school. My second advice would be to really focus on writing, and when I mean writing, I mean writing research papers. It will be the death of you, but if you know how to structure a paper with organization and fluidity, then it'll achievable. Learn everything that you can in high school, even if it doesn't seem to matter in the moment. You never know if your professor in college might test you on that very same subject that you hated in high school.

Like any student who expects to go to college, they should be highly motivated and driven about attaining their education or their major. The person should be open to new cultures, since the school setting is extremely diverse within its students and its faculty; you can literally meet anyone from around the globe. On top of that, it's located in the lovely island of O'ahu, which is already a melting pot of ethnicities.

Kira

Do your homework and get some networking done. Definately apply for classes yourself because your counselor is going to overwork you with too many classes. Call out people when they are rude. Don't hide behind "I'm fine" and make sure your partner is secure because it will be detrimental if you lie to them like that.

The nursing program because it dives you right in with the simulation hospital.

brandon

So listen dude, you need to quit messing around with your video games and get more serious about your studies. If you put the work in now and get your grade point average up, not only will you do better in college, but you will qualify for some awesome grants. Many scholarships require you to have a high GPA as well. The top colleges are very competitive and you will need good grades to be accepted. It wouldn't be a bad idea if you began to do some volunteer work in your community because many colleges and scholarships are looking for individuals who have done community service. One area you need to really step up your game in is your general education, such as reading, writing and arithmetic. The majority of your time in college will be spent reading, writing and doing math. The better you are in those areas when you enter college the easier college will be for you. So, set some limits now on those video games and put the extra time into focusing on school and you will find college easier and more rewarding.

Hawaii Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.