Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hawaii Pacific University

Jacob

If I had the opportunity to go back and advise myself about making the transition between high school and college there are three main things I would say. I would preach the necessity of scholarships, the importance of patience, and how much procrastination actually hurts you in the real world. Living on your own is hard enough without having to worry about student loans. I believe the focus should be on your education, not how you're going to afford next month's tuition. Equally important is the patience needed to deal with people; whether dealing with language barriers or cultural differences, you must possess this trait for personal growth. I have learned the hard way that the most common and detrimental quality among college students is procrastination. This is harmful because it takes away from the quality of your work and is one of the main stressors on campus. I firmly believe that knowing these qualities as a high school senior would have saved me much wasted time and effort while adjusting to life on my own in college.

Hawaii Pacific University, like any other school, has it's flaws. In my opinion the worst trait this college brings to the table is the area in which it's located. The University is divided into two sections, one in the city of Honolulu and the other on the rural side of the island, Kaneohe. The problem lies in city of Honolulu at the school's downtown campus where there is a large homeless population. These homeless people sometimes interact with the student population, yet the university has taken measures to prevent this by hiring security guards to keep peace.

Hawaii Pacific University is small, caring, and culturally diverse institution. To attend this school one must bring an open mind and a desire to grow intellectually as a person. Those who learn best with small classroom environments will flourish here because Hawaii Pacific University is a private school which limits the classroom size to 20-30 students. Also, if needed, the professors are readily available to help students individually as opposed to a lecture hall-styled course where the learning environment is not as personalized.

Cretian

My classmates are very friendly and helpful.

My classmates are very friendly and helpful.

An advice I would give myself is to know what I want to do before I enter college. I would tell myself to pick a major I would want to stick with and seem interesting to me that I know I would like. Once I have told myself to choose a major before going to college, I would also tell myself to look for the requirements for that specific major and plan out my four years of college. Planning out my four years ahead of time could help me because it would allow me to finish school on time without spending extra money for classes I could have taken during the school year. Lastly, I would tell myself not to stress out so much because college is similar to high school, except I am responsible for all my actions I make.

One thing I wish I knew before coming to this school is my major. I started off with an undecided major, which limited my choices of class to choose from. If I knew I was going to pursue in Mathematics once I came to this school, I probably could have finished a semester earlier and get a jump start into the Master's program.

Gnei Dimple

Well, being seventeen again would be amazing because knowing what I know about college I would tell my self to save as much money as possible. It seems that ever since I attended college it has been money trouble from day one. To be honest I think I would tell myself to not go to HPU and go to community college so I would at least have more money saved and then transferred to HPU and not worry about money 24/7. Being nineteen and living at home with my family and finding the struggles to survive college has been difficult. I think the best option for me would have been to go to community college and to also have more self-confidence in myself. Students in high school were mean from day one because of my acne problems and my academic skills. I wish I would have stood up for myself becaue I know in college people accepted me for myself becaue I was being 100% myself with my humor and kindness. All and all I would tell myself to be the best person I could be and just keep trying hard.

The best thing about my school is the friednly students who are the most kindest people and the nicest people you will ever meet.

The kind of person that should attend HPU is someone who is smart and hardworking, but also has the financial support to survive the cost of tuition.

Shaun

I would have taken my academic progress much more seriously. I did not attend college immediately after high school, I waited until I was 31 to go back to school. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would scream "Go to college you dumby!' After yelling at myself I would explain to myself the oppurtunities that I was eliminated from becuase of not going to college, after that I would probably have to explain to my former self how I gained so much weight. All joking aside I would like to thank you for considering me for this scholarship.

Nursing, Marine Biology, International Studies, and Business

Nursing, Marine Biology, International Studies, and Business

Knowing what I know now I would simply tell myself to remember my worth and to stay focused because I lost that mindset, temporarily, freshmen year. I would also tell myself to be sure of what you want to do, as well as staying on top of things because you cannot expect college advisors to do it for you, as well as not to second guess myself. If you really want something in life, do not look to others for validation or allow them to persuade you t do otherwise because you have to live with that decision. Take as much time as you need to focus on studies and learn who you are, without secluding yourself from others because this is the time when you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought was possible. Also, Jessica, remember that the decisions you make not will effect everything you do later in life. LEAVE THE MEN ALONE and never put your bible down. It shall keep you and guide you when the way is unclear. Don't lose yourself trying to be who others expect you to be. Remember wo you are and do not be afraid to shine.

Carly

I would tell myself, don't take it easy credit wise for the first semester, and focus on your family more than academics. This is a very important time in a person's life to develop one's self as an individual. However, you never want to live with regret of not valuing a person enough, due to taking time to be selfish and focusing on yourself. When life throws a curve ball, it is ok to take a semester off, or to go back home and take classes. Educating yourself is a priority, but not number one.

Tuition is high at Hawaii Pacific University. It would not be such a challenge, except there is a cap on how much scholarship Hawaii Pacific University can give to an individual. However, this cap does not apply to students on the Cheer Leading team or the school Newspaper, whom get a 80% scholarship. A student not in Cheer Leading or the school Newspaper needs to find scholarship opportunities outside of the University. These scholarships should not be taken away from students, but there should be more scholarship opportunities in other fields of academia.

Aaron

I think three of the biggest eye openers I had when I first got to college were: 1) That you shouldn't stress to much because with good time management you have a lot more free time. 2) Age really doesn't matter. 3) Being self satisfied with your life isn't that hard. From those, I would tell my senior self to not worry about how much work you're going to have to do in college. You know you have pretty good time management skills, so you'll do just fine. Relax. I would also tell him that it's nothing like high school and that you're going to make some friends that are a lot older than you. Some twice your age, and some only five years older. But don't be intimidated like you were in your freshman year of high school, it'll be way different. Lastly I would say that you're going to meet some people that will open your eyes about things. Like how to be satisfied with your life and not let the small things get to you. Appreciate and enjoy what you have. It'll make your life better.

If you like a campus more intermingled with the public rather than a more traditional one, you would like the campus at HPU. Also, if you like a more personalized and smaller class style, along with a very international and racialy diverse student base, then HPU is definately suited for you. Personally, I like how the campus because everything is close and it's easy to get to places in town. I would say those are the things that make HPU stand out the most in comparison to other schools.

I say that the school has great people and I've met a lot of international and transfer students because the student base is 33.3% local, 33.3% mainland US, and 33.3% international. I also say how the classes are small and the professors get a lot closer to the students than they would in a 100+ student lecture hall. Another thing is how close and convenient everything is, like food options and places to hang out that aren't on campus. It's all right there and all very comfortable.

Rashelle

Hawaii Pacific University is best known for its diverse student population. There are one-third local, mainland, and international students that attend here. This makes the learning enviornment very interesting and really pulls the students towards the "Global Citizen" goal that HPU strives for. There are roughly 105 different countries represented on campus, so there are a lot of cultures to learn about and a lot of different people to get to know.

If I could give my high school self any advice it would be to thoroughly pursue your ambition by taking initiative. Nothing will benefit you more than being as active as you possibly can to reach your goals. This would mean reasearching as much as you can, being open to talking to people and building contacts, even volunteering or taking part in something extracurricular that may not even realte to what you want to do. Going out and having your own experiences is what brings and builds important relationships. Letting yourself be closed off or doing the minimum won't get you the sense of fulfillment you want. Everyone is only going to live their life once, so it would seem a waste to be conservative about what you can accomplish. I would say go out and grab the life you want; the only thing that can stand in your way is yourself. Take your ambition and fly with it.

The most frustrating thing about HPU is the fact that there are two campuses. Although, there is a free shuttle for students that runs between both every fifteen minutes. It's easy to get to both campuses it can just sometimes create a headache for students when it comes to scheduling and registering for classes. Having one unified campus creates a more community feel to universities.

Carolina

Very multicultural, there are people from all over the world and they all speak different languages.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to my young self about college I will advice myself to never quit no matter how hard or new everything looks to never quit studying and if you can start with college credits during the Senior Year even better. Second I will recommend myself to always learn from other people and other cultures no matter the differences we are all very similar at the end. Since I come from a different country I will probably recommend to learn to speak English and more languages if possible, you’ll never know where you will end up at. I mean who knew little young me will come to the United States after graduation, joined the U.S. Navy and earn a college degree while being in active duty. Life could be really unpredictable but we have to stay positive and everything can work out. Finally I will tell myself to never forget where you come from and the moral values you stand for because you will always represent the country you are from, no matter how little the country is, always with a head high.

A friendly environment with great and helpful teachers.

Kelly

"Ohana" means family in hawaiian and that is the best I can help envision my classmates.

Life is all about the attitude within you! The decisions you make in life, there are no benefits for anyone else but yourself. It all comes down to the way you use a special gift within your inner being called “choice”. “Choice” can either leave you with failure or success. What will your choice be?Use your attitude and your ability of choice to live life 100%, but never let the unknown distort your choices and stop you from what fate has waiting for you. Life is not about fear. It is about living your life to a grade A and when you feel your life is a grade B, C, D, or F. Fall on the attitudes that will help you get back up to a grade A. These are the attitudes that will guide you towards your successes in life. Don’t let fear get in the way. Live life fearless! Life is all about the attitude within you! What will your choice be?

I would not consider anything bad about the school I attend. I honestly believe that the school has been a blessing to me. It has given me an oppurtunity that other schools in Hawaii has not given me. Although the campus may not have the best features there is no reason for me to judge the appearance and compare it to any other school. This school given me a chance to help me achieve my goals to finish my degree.

Hawaii Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.