Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hawaii Pacific University

brandon

So listen dude, you need to quit messing around with your video games and get more serious about your studies. If you put the work in now and get your grade point average up, not only will you do better in college, but you will qualify for some awesome grants. Many scholarships require you to have a high GPA as well. The top colleges are very competitive and you will need good grades to be accepted. It wouldn't be a bad idea if you began to do some volunteer work in your community because many colleges and scholarships are looking for individuals who have done community service. One area you need to really step up your game in is your general education, such as reading, writing and arithmetic. The majority of your time in college will be spent reading, writing and doing math. The better you are in those areas when you enter college the easier college will be for you. So, set some limits now on those video games and put the extra time into focusing on school and you will find college easier and more rewarding.

Be prepared to have no money. As a college student now, I wish I would have saved more money for books and the things I need. I wish I would have saved up at least five thousand dollars for my expenses. Being on your own allows young adults to prepares them to support themselves. When living with your parents asking them for twenty dollars every now and then seemed like nothing, but when you have no income and have debts (if you need them) college can be a difficult transition for money. I have had to create a major budget and watch my expenses carefully. More advice I would give myself is freshman 15 exists! Though my college gives healthy food choices and warns students about their eating habits, I wish I would have taken it more seriously. Exercise is difficult to accomplish when five days a week you are going to school, studying and doing homework takes away at least eight hours a day. When the weekend comes around you dont want to work out. I wish I would have introduced myself to spending the extra money I have on healthier food. It will benefit in the long run.

What I love about Hawaii Pacific University is the small class room sizes, this allows the teachers to become more available and closer to the students and connect while you are in their class. Also, I love that as an Undergraduate I am able to work in the field. I am studying Marine Biology and I believe that as a new student out of high school, kids want to engulf themselves into their field. At this school I am able to involve myself completely into my class work, instead of always sitting in the classroom.

The most frustrating thing at Hawaii Pacific University is that the pluses and minuses are weighted for the grading process. So if you recieve all A's and an A- you will not receive a 4.0 GPA. Also in some courses where the pre-resiquite is an A, an A- does not count. Not all teachers grade using this though. Some do not use the weighted plus and minuses. I did not know this going into the college and I wish I would have been informed.

Jacob

If I had the opportunity to go back and advise myself about making the transition between high school and college there are three main things I would say. I would preach the necessity of scholarships, the importance of patience, and how much procrastination actually hurts you in the real world. Living on your own is hard enough without having to worry about student loans. I believe the focus should be on your education, not how you're going to afford next month's tuition. Equally important is the patience needed to deal with people; whether dealing with language barriers or cultural differences, you must possess this trait for personal growth. I have learned the hard way that the most common and detrimental quality among college students is procrastination. This is harmful because it takes away from the quality of your work and is one of the main stressors on campus. I firmly believe that knowing these qualities as a high school senior would have saved me much wasted time and effort while adjusting to life on my own in college.

Hawaii Pacific University, like any other school, has it's flaws. In my opinion the worst trait this college brings to the table is the area in which it's located. The University is divided into two sections, one in the city of Honolulu and the other on the rural side of the island, Kaneohe. The problem lies in city of Honolulu at the school's downtown campus where there is a large homeless population. These homeless people sometimes interact with the student population, yet the university has taken measures to prevent this by hiring security guards to keep peace.

Hawaii Pacific University is small, caring, and culturally diverse institution. To attend this school one must bring an open mind and a desire to grow intellectually as a person. Those who learn best with small classroom environments will flourish here because Hawaii Pacific University is a private school which limits the classroom size to 20-30 students. Also, if needed, the professors are readily available to help students individually as opposed to a lecture hall-styled course where the learning environment is not as personalized.

Cretian

My classmates are very friendly and helpful.

My classmates are very friendly and helpful.

An advice I would give myself is to know what I want to do before I enter college. I would tell myself to pick a major I would want to stick with and seem interesting to me that I know I would like. Once I have told myself to choose a major before going to college, I would also tell myself to look for the requirements for that specific major and plan out my four years of college. Planning out my four years ahead of time could help me because it would allow me to finish school on time without spending extra money for classes I could have taken during the school year. Lastly, I would tell myself not to stress out so much because college is similar to high school, except I am responsible for all my actions I make.

One thing I wish I knew before coming to this school is my major. I started off with an undecided major, which limited my choices of class to choose from. If I knew I was going to pursue in Mathematics once I came to this school, I probably could have finished a semester earlier and get a jump start into the Master's program.

Gnei Dimple

Well, being seventeen again would be amazing because knowing what I know about college I would tell my self to save as much money as possible. It seems that ever since I attended college it has been money trouble from day one. To be honest I think I would tell myself to not go to HPU and go to community college so I would at least have more money saved and then transferred to HPU and not worry about money 24/7. Being nineteen and living at home with my family and finding the struggles to survive college has been difficult. I think the best option for me would have been to go to community college and to also have more self-confidence in myself. Students in high school were mean from day one because of my acne problems and my academic skills. I wish I would have stood up for myself becaue I know in college people accepted me for myself becaue I was being 100% myself with my humor and kindness. All and all I would tell myself to be the best person I could be and just keep trying hard.

The best thing about my school is the friednly students who are the most kindest people and the nicest people you will ever meet.

The kind of person that should attend HPU is someone who is smart and hardworking, but also has the financial support to survive the cost of tuition.

Shaun

I would have taken my academic progress much more seriously. I did not attend college immediately after high school, I waited until I was 31 to go back to school. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would scream "Go to college you dumby!' After yelling at myself I would explain to myself the oppurtunities that I was eliminated from becuase of not going to college, after that I would probably have to explain to my former self how I gained so much weight. All joking aside I would like to thank you for considering me for this scholarship.

Nursing, Marine Biology, International Studies, and Business

Nursing, Marine Biology, International Studies, and Business

Knowing what I know now I would simply tell myself to remember my worth and to stay focused because I lost that mindset, temporarily, freshmen year. I would also tell myself to be sure of what you want to do, as well as staying on top of things because you cannot expect college advisors to do it for you, as well as not to second guess myself. If you really want something in life, do not look to others for validation or allow them to persuade you t do otherwise because you have to live with that decision. Take as much time as you need to focus on studies and learn who you are, without secluding yourself from others because this is the time when you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought was possible. Also, Jessica, remember that the decisions you make not will effect everything you do later in life. LEAVE THE MEN ALONE and never put your bible down. It shall keep you and guide you when the way is unclear. Don't lose yourself trying to be who others expect you to be. Remember wo you are and do not be afraid to shine.

Carly

I would tell myself, don't take it easy credit wise for the first semester, and focus on your family more than academics. This is a very important time in a person's life to develop one's self as an individual. However, you never want to live with regret of not valuing a person enough, due to taking time to be selfish and focusing on yourself. When life throws a curve ball, it is ok to take a semester off, or to go back home and take classes. Educating yourself is a priority, but not number one.

Tuition is high at Hawaii Pacific University. It would not be such a challenge, except there is a cap on how much scholarship Hawaii Pacific University can give to an individual. However, this cap does not apply to students on the Cheer Leading team or the school Newspaper, whom get a 80% scholarship. A student not in Cheer Leading or the school Newspaper needs to find scholarship opportunities outside of the University. These scholarships should not be taken away from students, but there should be more scholarship opportunities in other fields of academia.

Aaron

I think three of the biggest eye openers I had when I first got to college were: 1) That you shouldn't stress to much because with good time management you have a lot more free time. 2) Age really doesn't matter. 3) Being self satisfied with your life isn't that hard. From those, I would tell my senior self to not worry about how much work you're going to have to do in college. You know you have pretty good time management skills, so you'll do just fine. Relax. I would also tell him that it's nothing like high school and that you're going to make some friends that are a lot older than you. Some twice your age, and some only five years older. But don't be intimidated like you were in your freshman year of high school, it'll be way different. Lastly I would say that you're going to meet some people that will open your eyes about things. Like how to be satisfied with your life and not let the small things get to you. Appreciate and enjoy what you have. It'll make your life better.

If you like a campus more intermingled with the public rather than a more traditional one, you would like the campus at HPU. Also, if you like a more personalized and smaller class style, along with a very international and racialy diverse student base, then HPU is definately suited for you. Personally, I like how the campus because everything is close and it's easy to get to places in town. I would say those are the things that make HPU stand out the most in comparison to other schools.

I say that the school has great people and I've met a lot of international and transfer students because the student base is 33.3% local, 33.3% mainland US, and 33.3% international. I also say how the classes are small and the professors get a lot closer to the students than they would in a 100+ student lecture hall. Another thing is how close and convenient everything is, like food options and places to hang out that aren't on campus. It's all right there and all very comfortable.

Rashelle

Hawaii Pacific University is best known for its diverse student population. There are one-third local, mainland, and international students that attend here. This makes the learning enviornment very interesting and really pulls the students towards the "Global Citizen" goal that HPU strives for. There are roughly 105 different countries represented on campus, so there are a lot of cultures to learn about and a lot of different people to get to know.

If I could give my high school self any advice it would be to thoroughly pursue your ambition by taking initiative. Nothing will benefit you more than being as active as you possibly can to reach your goals. This would mean reasearching as much as you can, being open to talking to people and building contacts, even volunteering or taking part in something extracurricular that may not even realte to what you want to do. Going out and having your own experiences is what brings and builds important relationships. Letting yourself be closed off or doing the minimum won't get you the sense of fulfillment you want. Everyone is only going to live their life once, so it would seem a waste to be conservative about what you can accomplish. I would say go out and grab the life you want; the only thing that can stand in your way is yourself. Take your ambition and fly with it.

The most frustrating thing about HPU is the fact that there are two campuses. Although, there is a free shuttle for students that runs between both every fifteen minutes. It's easy to get to both campuses it can just sometimes create a headache for students when it comes to scheduling and registering for classes. Having one unified campus creates a more community feel to universities.

Hawaii Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.