Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hawaii Pacific University

SueLynn

Compared to other schools, I think HPU has a unique environment. Our Honolulu campus is not your average college campus. It's more of a business area--which may take some getting used to--but also allows you to feel like you're already living in the "real world." You could easily find work or an internship that's close to school, which makes it convenient to go from one place to the other. HPU also strives to make us the best people we can be. We learn about global citizenship and are encouraged to get involved.

If I were to give my high-school-self advice based on the transition to college, I would advise myself to not get caught up in my newfound freedom. From elementary until high school, it's been a routine to wake up early, go to school until the afternoon, Monday through Friday. When you register for classes in college, you can choose to take classes that fall on as little as two days a week (fulltime). This can feel so liberating at first, that you might easily choose to "forget" about a class you don't want to attend that day, or procrastinate on assignments for classes that only meet maybe twice a week. I did just enough to get by my first two semesters. Although I didn't technically waste my parents' money by failing any courses, my actions hurt my GPA, which is a whole lot easier to bring down than back up. This is hard advise to take. I'm not sure if I would even take it if I had the chance to speak to myself in high school. Taking it, though, would save a lot of effort wasted on "making the transition."

The most frustrating thing about my school is the cost. HPU is a really good school and has encouraged my desire to learn through classes and my study abroad experience. However, seeing as how it is a private school, the cost is a bit more than other public institutions. I would like to continue my education with HPU if financial circumstances allow it. I know tuition is a frustration for most students and their schools, but my parents put so much money into my education I'd like to help them out. They always support me.

tanisha

If I could go back and talk to myself, I would tell myself to take school seriously. To be thankful for it, and not take it for granted. I would tell myself to never lose confidence in myself. I would tell myself to watch what type of friends I hang out with and to surround myself with people who care and have priorities, with school/education being one. I would tell myself to sit and plan out my future. I would tell myself to settle down with working so much and that money isn't everything. I would tell myself to go talk to councelors, teachers, anybody, they're there to help and they actually know alot!! One line I would love to tell myself is, "Tanisha, nobody said life would be easy, but no matter what obstacles come up, because many will, to always follow your dreams. Have your support, but none of that will matter if you initially don't believe in yourself. You can achieve whatever goal it is you want, as long as YOU believe you can." I would advise myself to open up my eyes to the real world, and say "you can do it."

We are known for our nursing programs and classes because our professors take their jobs seriously to educate us with the knowledge they know. Also, the nursing progam is one of the best in Hawaii because there's a lot of things we can practice on and we get a lot of hands on training.

During my senior year, I told myself that I would not slack off and that school is my number one priority, but all of that changes because many of my classmates, including me started to slack off in the middle of the school year. I regret tending to slcack off because I promised myself I wouldnt. Instead of going the easy route like how many other seniors did by taking all easy classes so they can get straight A's. I took hard classes that I needed in order to pursue the nursing program for college. My advice for high school seniors is to focus on school before you start focusing on having fun because if you put having fun before your education, you will end up making a decision you will regret. You will be wishing you could go back in time to focus on your grades rather then going out with your friends and not attending school because this is your last year. Make your last year worth it and stride for the best because this will be the last year to impress the faculty and staff of what you can do. Make your name memorable.

The worst part about my school is the location because the campus downtown is full of homeless people who tend to pick on you sometimes which is slightly scary. Although I dont mind being around homeless people, I dont like the fact that it makes me feel uncomfortable when I some yelling at me because they think that I believe Im better then them just because I am attending school which is not true. I treat everyone with respect no matter who you are.

Katie

Hawaii Pacific is best known for its Nursing and Marine Biology programs. Small class sizes and adept professors give HPU an astounding reputation as a place for great knowledge and learning. Location makes HPU a perfect college for Marine sciences, as well as botany, ecology, and biology.

A person with a desire to push themselves as far as they can. A person attending Hawaii Pacific University must have the drive to succeed and the will to learn, and be motivated to push themselves, not wait for someone else to do it for them. With numerous distractions (local culture, fine cuisine, and of course fabulous beaches), a student of HPU has to, above all, aspire to be all they can be. An HPU student also must desire small class sizes with one-on-one experience with professors, and a drive to ask many questions.

Christina

The advice I would give myself would be to not try so hard to get to know certain people first semester. I handled the college transition extremely well in almost everything, except I tried a little too hard to be friends with some people and I ended up damaging my relationships with them instead. I did make a lot of friends, but the ones that come naturally are the ones that last, and I wish I had just relaxed a little bit more.

I don't really wish I had known anything, the school is pretty much how it comes across online.

Any kind of person should attend this school. It has every type of person imaginable. There are outgoing, party hard people, all the way to people who never leave there room except for class.

A globally diverse instituation taht strives to encourage and guide all kinds of people to become globally aware citizens.

I would tell myself that I should trust myself in believing I can achieve anything if I work hard enough for it. To not be discouraged at first because things are different from how high school was. College, especially at HPU, is an experience to take in stride, with confidence and trust in your own ability to become an adult that is both concious of the world and willing to learn from mistakes without fear of being put-down. With an education from HPU, you will become a more able adult and more active in interacting with others without intimidation and learn to become prepared to grab hold onto dreams that can only become a reality if you work hard, keep focus, and not be discouraged. The change from being a teenager to the adult world is not something to fear for if you keep your goals and trust in others, you will succeed.

I wish I had been more prepared for auditioning for the university band.

maud

During my college experience I learned about exploring my potential. College is not just about going to class everyday and doing homeworks but it is also about learning the neccessary skills that are important in our daily life. Being a college student help me gain confidence. I have learned to be confident from taking classes which requires me to present in front of a class to asking instructors for help with school work. I have experienced a few failures in college which taught me to have determination and to push forward with my goals. A failure is only a failure if you do not learn from it. In college, learning does not only happen in classrooms but also in the whole college experience. It is valuable to attend college not only for the degree a person will earn but also for the experience. Having a college degree will give you a better employment opportunity but the experience you gain from college is an added bonus.

The best thing about my school is that the classes are small. Students can get the one on one attention they need from the instructors. With small classes, students can focus more in classes. Having smaller classes also helps those students who might need extra help in the class. The instructors knows the student which makes it easier for student to seek the needed help.

The person who should attend this school is someone who is ready to learn and who seeks that small class environments that other univerities does not have.

Yowanda

I have gotten a sense of confidence and the value and education offers to those who would like to experience the more technical aspect of a career. I feel there is no goal too big to accomplish and have no fear in trying new things. I have found that an education can help you discover what your passion is and also what is not your passion even though you thought it was before venturing down the path towards that goal. Basically, a higher education can help you discover things you never knew existed.

A person who still needs to maintain an income and family.

I brag abot how convenient and flexible the program was. The University offered various ways to complete the degree and they sepcialized in distance learning.

Cristina

I have gotten an experience here at Hawaii Pacific University that is undeniably one of a kind. I can voucher that I do not go to a conventional college. What other school can offer "Hula" or "Surfing" as course credit? But other than what comes with the perks of being on an island, Hawaii has taught me SO much. I've felt myself grow into a stronger person. I had to learn how to survive on my own. I literally had NO ONE I knew with me. My mother couldn't afford to send me to Hawaii for a visit, therefore the first time I set foot on campus was not only my first time seeing the school, but my first time being in Hawaii in general. I flew in by myself, again due to costs. I learned how to get a job on my own and balance that out with my classes. I had to navigate around Hawaii on my own. I met new people, made new experiences, and came out overall a more dynamic individual. The experience I got from HPU was nothing close to what I was expecting, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

The worst thing about HPU, (as ironic as this may sound), is the location! Moving to Hawaii for college does sound pretty awesome, but you have to take into account how much you will be giving up. Considering that the closest state to you will be 3,000 miles away over water, you have to be very independent and stable within yourself to transition smoothly. The people are different, the food is different, the language is different, even the banks are different! The worst thing about Hawaii Pacific is the transition you have to go through when you get there.

I don't think there is really a person who "shouldn't" attend Hawaii Pacific University. I can honestly say that I have seen students of all backgrounds at this school. Whether they were at the top of their class, or didn't do so well. There are people from all 50 states as well as countries all around the world, so you're bound to find someone you can relate to. The academic level is as hard as you make it for yourself.

Aira

College is such a big tradition to the American culture. From being a high school graduate in a class of 26, it was such a big transition to get use to the college life of Hawaii Pacific University. From my college experience, I’ve got to learn to take more responsibility for myself as an "adult," making the choice of attending class to being pressured to go to parties. The college experience has taught that I am now accountable for my own actions and it is now my life. Also college was an eye opener, showing me that I have to take college seriously for this is my future. It was very valuable to attend college because it is your first step to your career but also it is the beginning of your life. College has shown me many paths and college is the one thing that can help you choose what you want to do with your life. Though I am still a freshmen college has been very valuable both socially and academically. This is the time where you meet your lifetime friends and make a decision that will change your entire life. In all college rocks!!

The worst thing about Hawaii Pacific University is that it does not have a main campus. Hawaii Pacific University has two "campus." The campus that is situatued in downtown does not have a closed campus. The "campus" would be different building and floors around a part of downtown. For example one of your classes could be in a building that is a company but a few floors is owned by HPU.

The most frustrating thing about Hawaii Pacific University, for me would be school spirit. Since the school is split into two campuses it sees that the student body is split in half. Also since we do not have a football team, school spirit is not present in the student body. Only to those who are active in the schools club and athletic team seems spirited.

Hawaii Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.