Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hawaii Pacific University

Benjamin

Emerson College in Boston was the first university I attended after graduating from high school. I chose Emerson because I wanted to be a writer, realizing very quickly that I didn't have anything all that interesting to write about. I believed one way to correct this was to spend the fall of 2003 in Emerson's study abroad program in Europe. This taste of living abroad, traveling constantly, meeting people I could communicate with only through body language and alcohol, affected me greatly. It made me hungry for more, and after withdrawing from Emerson a year and a half later, I spent too long time working at dead-end jobs before finally moving to Wuhan, China to teach ESL. I met my wife there. She encouraged me to go back to school and promised to move back to America with me. After two semesters at University of North Florida, I have maintained a 3.72 GPA and plan to apply to graduate schools for 2012. My college experience has been - for almost ten years - my life, even while not enrolled in school. Without the influence of those three semesters in Boston, my life would be a boring, wasted existence.

Julie

My classmates are diverse, it is impossible to desribe all the personality and ethnic types in one sentence; my classmates are from all over the world and all walks of life.

My most valuable college experience has nothing to do with college itself (but then, we all know you learn more from actually living than from listening to a lecture). My university is comprised of 1/3 Hawaiian, 1/3 mainland, and 1/3 international students. I grew up in Colorado, which is 98% white. Living in HPU's diverse community has changed my view of the world, and of people. Perhaps the most important aspect of this diversity is discrimination and racism. There are many fabulous Hawaiians whom I call my friends, but I also distinctly remember a comment from one Hawaiian: "I hate white people, but I'm not racist." Some Hawaiians do hate white people. They hate us for the past, for what we've stolen from them, and the worst part is they're probably right. But it's still racism. That's the most valuable experience I've had. I've learned what it's like to be hated for the color of my skin, for the crimes of my fathers. There is no such thing as reverse discrimination, it's simply discrimination, and it is always wrong. Knowing how it feels, however, is invaluable perspective.

Someone sensitive. This is a highly diverse area, and while there are many, many friendly people here some Hawaiians still harbor a vehement hatred for white people. There is prejudice and descrimination here. Someone without focus or drive also shouldn't attend this college. Living in Hawaii has many distractions, if you can't keep up with schoolwork and ignore the beach, surfing, and drinking, you will flunk out. Someone strongly family/home-oriented shouldn't come here either. You can't see family very often, and you're a long way from home.

Klaire

Hawaii Pacific University faculty, staff, and students are educationally driven, friendly, and really show the Aloha Spirit.

I have learned that college was a prize to be made not a prize to be won. I chose a college that suited me well despite what others say about my college decision. Although this is just my first semester and third month at Hawaii Pacific University, I must admit that it has been, so far, the greatest three months of learning I have ever received since grade school. The instructors I have are profoundly passionate about what they teach. Furthermore, HPU instructors remarkably do their best to help when students are in need of assistance. Students are free to let the instructor know whether or not the pacing of the lecture is too quick, too slow, or just right. When students are stressing before a test, HPU instructors carefully explain to the students what to know and review what will be on the test. In COM, I have learned that mid-terms, finals, and other tests are a “celebration of knowledge.” With that in mind, I became more excited to learn about new concepts, new lessons, and further my knowledge than simply skim at through the surface of new ideas. I value beating the deadlines instead of meeting them.

Students who are not highly motivated and determined to pursue a college degree. Students who do not like small classrooms. Students who do prefer a commuter campus.

Madilyn

I have gotten more confidence in my abilities to perform well in a harder academic situation. I am very grateful for this and all the opportunities I am now presented with everyday. It has been valuable to me because I had started to doubt myself academically even though in my last year I recieved a 4.0 GPA. Now I am confident in my abilities and am moving more towards my ultimate goal.

I wish I had known how to connect with tutors better so that I won't flounder

There is nothing I have against this school other than it was not my first choice to attend

Education is the most important thing my parents taught me to be the only treasure that cannot be stolen from me wherever I go. My college experience taught me that no matter how old or how young an individual is, it is never too late to get an education. No matter how you look like and what color is your skin is, you have the right to get an education and be better person. It is valuable to attend college because my experience helped me gained diverse perspective of looking at life differently. It is not only about books and learning skills but is also taught me the lessons of life through relationships, teamwork, individual uniqueness and camaraderie. It is valuable to me because it cultivated me in developing my values, beliefs and virtues. It paved a way to make my dreams come true and enlighten me to understand everything around me. It establishes confidence in me that I can face life with decisions and accept success and failures as part of living and know that learning does not end there but is a lifelong process and still continues until I am breathing.

The person should be willing to be culturally diverse and enthusiastic to respect the differences in ethnic and racial backgrounds of each individual. He should be willing to learn each other's differences and uniqueness. He should attend this school if you love diversity and nature. He should be willing to turn school experiences into an extraordinary memories in your life that will inspire you to be a better individual and a responsible global citizen that will be pass on to your next generation. This passing on will then lead to a better individual upringing, better community and better society.

As every student have their dissappointments in their school system, my frustration comes from the department I am in which is Nursing. Tuition fee is very expensive. Parking is expensive. Books are way expensive and gas everyday going to school is expensive. I have been awarded by the financial aid office in my school but it is not enough to help me and my family live smoothly. I still get a balance to pay each semester that burdens me and my family. Education should be positive experience in each student's life but tuition fee in my school says otherwise.

Jenna

I have become a very independent person since I have started college. I have learned how to write a twenty page paper, which at one time I thought was next to impossible. Since school has started I have developed good study skills and time organization. I have learned that I not only want to major in Psychology, but also major in Justice Administration. They both are extremely facinating to me and I want to make a different in many young peoples lifes within the court systems. I feel like I would become a great child psychologist.

I wish I would have known that the campuses would have been separate and one is in office buildings. I also would have liked to know that the transportation is in a van and only is accessible from one dormitory. I have to take public transportation to reach the campus. I wish I would have known some pigeon. I also would have liked to know how to read bus schedules.

My school has one of the top nursing programs in the nation. Our cheerleading team came has placed in nationals along with our dance team for the past five years. Our student body president for our psychology program was the top psychology student in the nation. The class size is at the maximum of thirty which makes it good for one on one with the teacher. My school is in Hawaii!

Melissa

Hawaii Pacific University is a very culturally diverse school with wonderful faculty, staff, and students.

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience at Hawaii Pacific Health. I have learned so much about life, our community, and global issues from my professors. They have taught me so much over the past few years. My professors taught my how important history, national news, the economy, politics, and etc. is in the social work field. I have met great faculty and the other students in my class are wonderful and caring. Every professor that I have all care about how we do in school and are always there for the students if they need any help at all. They do not want to see us fail and to have the professors look out for us is a motivator to do really well in school. I have attended many different schools in different states and I can honestly say that I have never felt such a part of something that will affect our community in a positive way. I would recommend other students to attend this school if they are looking for diversity and small class size with professor that look out for your best interest.

I currently work in the hospital and going to school for social work. I wished I would have known more about the variety of jobs in the medical field. I wish I had more guidence and know more of the different programs and opportunities within the school. I also would have taken more pre-req classes at a community college and then transfered over. There are a lot of things that I would have done differently from what I know now.

Florence

Hawaii Pacific University is best known for its attraction of international students and program designed around a libral arts foundation focused on community relations.

I attended Hawaii Pacific University for my Bachelors in Computer Science and I attended Charminade University in Honolulu for my Masters Degree. My college experience coupled with my professional experience as an active duty United States Air Force airman was invaluable because it extended my learning well beyond my current life experience and pushed me to reach my fullest learning potential. The Computer Science program was extremely valuable becasue it allowed me to re-engineer my skills and I prepared for my transition from the United States Air Force and the Masters Degree, an MBA prepared me for the application of business as I transitioned from military to corporate experiences. Both my degrees, a technical degree in computer science along with my MBA gave me a much needed advantage in the workforce and greatly enhanced my resume for a second career immediately upon retirement in 2001. It allowed me to position myslelf for greater advantage in the career force, helped me achieve unbelievable heights in my own learning potential and challenged me to reach higher heights. I now hold an Excecutive Management position with a major defense contractor focused on computer sciences and I have also become a lifelong learner.

Hawaii Pacific University was a very diverse, multicultural university with flexible schedules offering a variety of programs administered by a pleasant and friendly staff and taught by experienced and talented (both academic and professional experience) instructors which extended my learning ability beyond the classroom.

Jesse

The school really facilitates a meeting of cultures as one of the most geographically isolated and demographically diverse schools in the United States. In this respect, students enhance their analytical skills first hand while meeting, befriending, and studying with international perspectives.

This place needs a new library and new library system/data base.

Professors are engaging, accessable, and inviting in and outside the classroom. They are also understanding recognizing their roles as facilitators and mediators of the international perspectives that come to HPU.

Vasil

My school has very friendly and kind attitude to all its students.

My school has very friendly and kind attitude to all its students.

They were a mixture of different people that were collected from many international countries.

The college life makes the young people to mature. The college is the border between the youth and maturity. When I got in my college for the first time in my life some years ago, I did not realize that I would start a new life that is very different from the previous. To study in college is very different than to study in high-school. When people study in college, they bring greater responsibilities for their actions. Also the college students are separated from their families and they need to control their life alone by themselves because there is nobody to help them. Everybody should helps himself. When I went to college, I became independent from my family and I had to find financial resources to support myself. It was not so easy in the begining because I had relied in all my life only on my family but I succeeded to conform to the difficulties of my new life. Now, when I'm already a graduate student, I feel that this experience that I have passed through was very useful to build my character of a strong person.

Hawaii Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.