Hawaii Pacific University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hawaii Pacific University

Lisa

It's a culturally diversed school with small classroom sizes. Students can be from any part of the world,and faculty is of mixed races. The downtown campus is surrounded by eateries and small shops. Transportation was convenient. If only the school tuition could be over,the overall experience would be great.

Dez

Classes are small but academics is mediocre for the amount you are paying. Most people go here because of the beaches and laid back lifestyle. It is not so much about the standards of education I would not have attended HPU had I known what it was really like. You are essentially sharing building with other businesses. Also, there are plenty of homeless people roaming around "campus grounds."

Theresa

Hawaii Pacific University is a great university to be in. Surely, students will find their own group of people to be around. The small class sizes are one of the great things there as they'll allow more interaction between students and professors. This also means that students should have an easier time learning and asking questions. The classroom ambiance is fantastic meaning students will not feel intimidated or easily bored, allowing them to engage more in activities. Students also have great access to various shops and restaurants as the university is all around town!

Alanna

I think HPU is a excellent school and I enjoy being here. There are administrative issues, but that's a problem most universities have. There are a lot of great resources, too, and the atmosphere is really chill and welcoming. All the professors I've had have been really enthusiastic about their work and honestly want to help students learn, the classes are usually fairly small, and you get to know the people in your program.

maddie

Hawaii Pacific University is a good school for a student that is mostly focused on doing their schoolwork and going home. I found that most are disappointed with the fact that HPU does not have a college feel to it at all, there are 2 separate campuses that you have to take a bus to get to. The housing at the loa campus is dirty and the food is not good, the other campus housing is much nicer but there is no parking (unless you want to pay $30 for 2 hours). Because of my experience at HPU, I​ will be transferring.

crystal

As a Criminal Justice student, I love taking classes at Hawaii Pacific University. The classes have no more than 40 students in them, which is wonderful. This allows teachers to know every student name and make a connection with them. Since Hawaii Pacific University has two campuses we have a shuttle that takes us back on frot. The downtown campus is located on Fort Street Mall, which is where a lot of homeless people tend to camp out at. The other campus is called Hawaii Loa campus this is where my dorms are at. Dorms are expensive, there about 5,000 a semester plus the meal plan. Off-campus housing is a bit cheaper but since the college is in Hawaii, rent can be up to $1,800 for a 700 Square feet place. Our food is not great as us students would like but the people who cook it are pretty great. HPU encourage students to study abroad and do internships. They are very helpful at finding the information and helping us make plans. A great part of HPU is the students they accept. I have met many students from around the world and I get to learn about this country outside the classroom. Enough there is some area at Hawaii Pacific University that can be made better, the views from each campus is amazing. I get to walk to the shuttle stop and see how the warm sun shines on the green land or mountains. The best part is seeing the beach from the Pail Hwy or jumping into the warm water at the beach. My overall opinion is I like the school and what it has to offer me, I just wish it was cheaper.

Katelyn

Its a very good school for focusing on the individual student. The professors want to get to know you personally, and the classes max out at 30ish students. I like the views, but sometimes the help offices are slow to get back to me. Some announcements are a little confusing, but overall a very good school.

Sabrina

i rather go to a different school however, i'm in the military so this is the closest school to me. The VA reps here are not helpful AT ALL therefore i have to go on base. Base HPU however is a different story, Wendy is an amazing person, she set up all my classes, made sure my AS was in the system correctly and takes my calls as well as emails me back. I couldn't say that about Patrick Eagle or the head VA rep. He's another story.

If you only focus on academics and the overall experience of attending school in Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific University is an amazing experience. HPU has two campuses, one in Kaneohe and another in Honolulu. The kaneohe campus (which is called Hawai'i loa) is small but gorgeous, located right next to the ko'olau mountains. This campus offers a cafeteria where the food is alright, a small gym, and classes less than a 5 minute walk away. Although the Hawai'i loa campus is beautiful, the dorms are disgusting. The other campus, located in Honolulu, is called ATM– since its built next to the Aloha Tower Marketplace. The dorms are newly renovated and gorgeous, but the classes are a 15-20 minute walk away. Classes are in the middle of where all the homeless people live, so its very disgusting and dirty. Don't make the mistake I did, attend UH instead.

Alexa

I believe Hawaii Pacific University is unique in many ways, some good and some bad. It is not the normal college experience because we don't have one campus. We have three and it is mainly a commuter school so it is hard to meet up with classmates and have big groups of friends. Some people do not last here very long because of the expenses and the immediate responsibility you are given once dropped off especially if a student lives off campus which most do. It can get kind of lonely because we are not a spirited campus and no one really knows each other. But class sizes are impeccable and the hiking and beaches can always make up for anything!

Russell

While Hawaii Pacific University was a great school during my time of attendance from 2010-2014, loss of funding to the international affairs program led to the departure of fantastic courses and faculty. The university, in general, has transitioned to being a primary business and nursing school.

Gregorio

I think that Hawaii Pacific University is an extremely great school, especially for Nursing Students. They have an entire simulation area for Nursing students, and the Nursing advisors are always available and try to help as much as they can. However, I would recommend a wider range of teachers and times, to accommodate most people's personal schedules.

Janine

Overall, HPU is treating me well and i'm liking how the academics are and the student body. I've met people from different countries and I live that the class size is small to the point where we can actually get to know the professor and make friends in class. I'm looking forward to the next four years.

Micaleh

I like the classroom sizes there are no more than 30 students per class and there a lot of opportunities to grow. There are also many internships and jobs available through HPU that often outnumber the students. The housing facilities could be improved as well as the food.

Cora

Overall, I think Hawaii Pacific is a good learning environment with a good atmosphere. The professors are extremely knowledgeable and are great at what they do. The facilities are decent. Admissions and academic advising can be a pain. Having two campuses is different for sure, and it really depends on which campus you live on as to how much is accessible to you. The bus pass provided with tuition is a life saver so you can travel the island without having to pay the bus fares everytime you have to use it.

Selena

Hawaii Pacific University is unlike any other school. It's in no way a traditional campus which is what I love about it. There's always something to do or see and students are extremely friendly and sociable. Not only are the views beautiful, but class sizes are small and intimate. Meaning professors know your name and you actually know your classmates.

Ayanna

It is a great school with lots of diversity and beautiful scenery. Class sizes are small so you feel comfortable talking to professors even outside of class! You get a real since of 'Ohana' from everyone on campus. If you haven't decided please come to HPU! You'll love it!

Isabel

It's a very nice school with very active students and there's always something to do, especially for those of us from out of state and in Hawaii for the first time. The tuition is pretty expensive but the experiences and learning opportunities make it worth while.

Tamara

HPU has some good and some bad qualities. Among the best qualities is diversity. The diversity on this campus is incredible. I've met people from all over the world including Finland, Norway, Sweden, Thailand, and even from all states in the mainland. The faculty is also very diverse and they always have new and interesting perspectives on topics. I feel like this is a key in learning. The homeless population on and off campus is horrendous, but in a way is beneficial. It really makes you see what the real world is like and teaches you how to handle yourself. Our campus is also located in one of the most beautiful states in America. There are always plenty of things to do (hiking,beaches, volunteering, etc.) and if someone isn't into the partying/club scene, there is always something to do. The campus is undergoing a great deal of changes right now between finishing ATM and switching over from the Loa campus. It is part of the learning process and even gives the students a way to be apart of the growing community that HPU has to offer. The school academically, aesthetically, and socially has a lot to offer. It is a vast community of people from all over the world coming together for two reasons: experience and education.

Makyah

I love Hawaii Pacific University. My only problem with it is how expensive the on campus housing is. The best bet will be to get your own apartment, you'd save so much money. Also, get a good relationship with your roommates. Be sure to talk about guests, cleanliness and just getting along with one another so you can always have someone to hang out with on the weekends.

Great quality, but with a high price. Great professors, they truly care about the subject and their students. The school is phenomenal with the military and veterans, and their dependents. Through this, they offer a multitude of online classes, instructed by the same great professors who are in the classroom.

Jezelle

Hawai'i Pacific University is best known for its diversity and its ability to accommodate international and national students while also educating students about Hawai'i in order for students to be aware of the land they attend school. There campus show even more how diverse the school is because they have 3 different locations and they each serve a specific purpose in their location which is convenient for the students who attend the school. Although some areas could be improved, I can tell the school is working to update the school as a whole.

Teisa

I think that Hawaii Pacific University is an amazing school. I'm glad that I chose this school to go to further my marine science education. The teachers are fantastic and very engaging, the students are nice and always helpful and the overall staff that facilitates the university is organized. I couldn't have chosen a better school to study at.

Mareon

Being a part of Hawaii Pacific University is like a new Ohana. Being the first year here at HPU is really great because they are very helpful, especially during the day of classes. This campus is very diverse, a lot of students who are coming from all over the country which sets HPU more than another university's out there. Most of all, the professor are very helpful and welcoming, they are accessible anytime with whatever questions that every student has.

Kiana

Well with the factors in which HPU excels in, there are also room for improvement. There isn't a lot of school events where A LOT of people are social or active in participating. There is a decent amount yet not what I would want. Its small enough to where, if there was a contest of any kind, your highly likely to win. There are more things to say yet OVERALL, HPU is decent to attend as is and I enjoy it, am used to it, and yes.

Madison

Hawaii Pacific University is a close knit school that focuses on creating student networks, providing small intimate class sizes, and engaging students in extracurricular activities. This school is best for independent students ready to chase what they want and who are not afraid to try new things. Although here to support you through your academic journey, HPU is a college that encourages self sufficiency. The campus is mainly in downtown Honolulu with another campus on the east side of the island. This campus creates well rounded multidisciplinary leaders, and motivated students thrive here. There are sports teams that we are proud of and we rep our Sharks gear on game day, however the environment is largely academic and island life inclined. We often get together to go hiking, play beach volleyball, go surfing or paddle boarding, tour the art museums, or head to north shore for some local culture. For those who want a challenging, independence focused, nontraditional college experience, I would highly recommend Hawaii Pacific University. We have new programs being developed all the time, and students play a large role in deciding HPU's path forward, for those inclined to make the most of their college experience I also highly recommend they apply to the Residential Honors Program. Mahalo! We can't wait to see you for the next Aloha Friday, we'll be watching fireworks on Waikiki Beach!

Sydney

Hawaii Pacific University is one of the most unique schools in the USA. For an environmental student is the ideal location, as Hawaii is an island, with unmatched biomes, natural resources, and human interaction with the natural world. Hawaii is driven to become more sustainable, and the local community strives to meet that goal. The campus has some flaws, but the school is devoting the next few years to consolidation and innovation. Opportunities are endless at HPU, from accessible study abroad programs to United Nations engagement, to local Hawaiian cultural opportunities. As a crossroads between East and West, HPU is positioned to be one of the most worldly integrated universities in the US. The professors are inspired, driven and adventurous, the community welcoming and open, and the location unmatched in it's capacity to accelerate your academic career.

Kalen

A great cosmopolitan campus with a variety of international students.

Alexis

I just finished my first year of college at Hawaii pacific University and it was an experience I'll never forget. The University is relatively small in size, each class is about 25 to 30 students maximum. The campus itself is very modern in the sense that it is not a typical campus, classes are in different office buildings along Fort Street Mall. However, there are pro's and con's; While there is many shops, restaurants, business, and job opportunists available, there are many people who are not students in the area as well. There are different options for housing whether it be in the water front dorms or in one of the many near-by apartments. The school does have a few sports teams but HPU primarily focuses on academics. The number of courses offered at HPU can accommodate any type of degree, as well as interest. One of the best parts of Hawaii Pacific University is the Aloha attitude the students, professors, and staff have. I have never had a negative encounter with anyone at the university. Also, due to the fact that Hawaii is in the middle of the Pacific ocean, there is a large number of exchange students from foreign countries. It has been nice experience being exposed to and educated about other cultures from around the world. This was a year of school that I would not trade for anything.

Mina

I've only just started at HPU but so far, I am not very satisfied with my experience. As an undergraduate student, the class size is small which provides more opportunities to engage in class lecture and speak with the professor. Some but not all of the professors are well-educated and knowledgeable about the course material. The classrooms are small but equipped with everything you need. The campus is not safe with not enough security guards standing by. You must pay for parking. But as an undergrad, parking could be an issue. The area is also infested with older, homeless people that can sometimes get awkward.

Mai-Yumi

I really enjoy attending Hawaii Pacific University. It is a very diverse campus with people all over the world coming in year-round. Upperclassmen and fellow students are very friendly and always willing to set up a study date to assist those in need. Professors and the office staff are always available and will go out of their way to help students succeed. The class size is relatively small so it is not overcrowded and it makes it easier for the Professor to focus on the students that need help. The campus is beautiful and there are plenty of cheap restaurants to eat breakfast and lunch. Transportation is easy and the school offers a city bus pass for students to ride the bus for a whole semester. The resources and textbooks are very helpful when having questions concerning the class material and library staff is always willing to help find books and articles to help students with their studies. Overall, it does have very rigorous academic material, but students should succeed with the helpful professors and peers surrounding them.

Davan

It is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. I went on a virtual tour and as I walked through I knew it was the place for me. The students who I spoke to and the one professor were incredible engaging and helpful. They really seemed to love what they did and the decision to choose HPU.

Saylor

HAWAII ISAKFDOIAEHIOHEIDOSHFXOEHOISHEIOH≈ØÍÓFO≈ÔEFNKJDHVOSHVISDJFISPOFDJPAWJOJASDOPAJIAJDIPJXPOASJDOPAWJDPIJFPIAWJFPIAJFIPJAIFJHIJEPODJFPOEJFOPEJFPIEJFOPEJFPOEJFOPJFOPAEJOPSJIESJIJSIPEJIPOSJESKJIKLSJCFEILKJCFEI

Quixara

Hawaii Pacific University is a very small school. Some may feel that it might be a little too expensive but its all worth it. There are small classroom sizes so every professor gets to know there student very well, which can be beneficial to the student. Although there is no football team there is a basket ball team and other cool sports to be part of and support. And all in all it is a wonderful place to study with all the nice beaches and culture that the island has to offer. I would highly recommend this University to future graduating classes to apply and attend. It’s an opportunity you wouldn’t want to miss ! Go sharks !

Klarissa

From the people I have heard from it is very diverse school and I love that about it as well as it is called the pacific Ohana. Family means a lot to me and I like being apart of the pacific ohana. They are very family friendly. There are a lot of schools that have to much people because they are a big campus and Hawai’i pacific does have a lot of students but all students get along very well !