Helena, MT
Helena College University of Montana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Helena College University of Montana

Karlie

It's a good school for people to start out in. The class sizes give each student a better chance to learn. Helena College is mostly a two-year school for Associates degree, but the classes that are offered are as good as classes that are taken in bigger universities.

Tehya

I absolutely love Helena College! They have helped me grow and helped me finally pursue my dreams and goals! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else! Amazing staff and great students all very respectable. I have learned so much already. The classes are just the right size it's not overwhelming or stressful it's so laid back and everyone is there because they want to be.

Joe

Helena College is a great place to learn. I would definitely recommend it to others. The teachers there are the best and they are very friendly. They are there to help you when you need help with homework or anything else. The students are nice and helpful at the college.

Sydney

Helena College is a good school, but its very limited. There are not a lot of opportunities to get a "true college experience". Teachers don't seem to really care about teaching and some classes are really just a joke. I've seen far too many staff members act extremely unprofessionally.

Shanice

There are two things that make my school the best. #1: The college is located in beautiful Missoula, MT, where everyone is accepted and things to do never run short. Missoula is purely a college town where the people and the business revolve around the University. This makes for an awesome community spirit as addressed in.... #2: The pride associated with attending school here is unlike any other college of our size. With less than 16.000 students, our school is just the right size; you feel at home but you're never in the spotlight (unless you want to be!). The college athletics (specifically the football team) and the community make this a dream place to go to school.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene is CRAZY and if anyone tells you otherwise they don't know a thing! Grizzly football gets all the hype among students and the town but I also thoroughly enjoy the other sports...like basketball and volleyball. I do have to say though, on any one Saturday in the fall I can be caught tailgating with my family and friends...the Griz football games are the best and you haven't experienced anything like it until you go!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to UM because I knew I was going to attend business school and UM has the best business school in the state, and arguably in a few surrounding states. Going in state is more affordable and I had no good reason to go out of state for the same education at a higher price. Also, my dad is an alumni and I was raised coming to campus for games and tours...it's in my blood and I heart Missoula!

The most unique thing about our campus is the beautiful lawns and the magnificent views you see right from the Oval (center of campus). Standing on the Oval, one can see Mount Sentinel, which has the infamous "M" plastered on its side. A quick hike to the "M" and you can view Missoula from above.

For such a small college town, UM has a very diverse population of students and faculty. Whether you're throwing a Frisbee with your buddies on the Oval, touring the Hall of Champions, or concocting potions in a lab on a Friday night, you'll find someone to fit in with here! Student's tend to find their groups and stick with them; which is OK. Students here take school seriously, but not too seriously. We work hard, and play harder.

Probably sports; both varsity and intramural. Greek life is not popular here at UM but student groups are. There is literally a student group for everything here.

The academics at The University of Montana, Missoula are extremely good. From majoring in fine arts to business, this University revolves around the students and their success. I can directly speak about the School of Business Administration, of which, I am a student and have been for four years. Let me tell you, the importance of succeeding in both academics and careers has taken on the number one role for our professors and deans. Professors in the school of business are student-oriented, versus being research-oriented (this is a good thing!). All of my professors are readily available via email (within 24 hours, but some are even replying at 2:00 am!) or in their offices.

The stereotype at The University of Montana in Missoula, MT is one of outdoor origins. This is because the UM campus is nestled right up against Mount Sentinel in addition to the Clark Fork River. The University has a stereotype of "natural living," commonly referred to as the "Hippy" style of living. Don't let this scare you off! Missoula is an extremely welcoming place of all walks of life. Because the campus is so near mountains and rivers, Missoula is a great place to do anything outdoors, however, don't be fooled by the stereotype because we have great restaurants, bars, and sports teams to watch, just like another other place.

Kelsey

The Helena College of Technology is a branch of Universit of Montana and such it is such a small school and close community, it is best known for its availability to help students. The student to teacher ratio is 21:1, which allows for more teacher student interaction. This is something you cannot get at just any school. The professors at this school are also very kind and willing to help in any way they can, and they know almost every student by name. At a large university this kind of closeness is uncommon.

The best advice I could give myself as a high school senior would be to never give up. I would tell myself that college is necessary and I must work extremely hard to accomplish my goal of earning a degree. I would also tell myself that on top of all of that hard work college is also a great time to meet new people and have a little fun. I would remind myself that college can be a very stressful time, and not to get bogged down in everything that is going on, but instead to stay on top of all my school work. Also, the best way to deal with college is by being prepared. I would tell myself to do this by spending a lot of time studying for tests and making sure to reward myself when I have done a good job. By knowing this bit of information before making the transition from high school to college I would have felt more confident about the change.

There are many things I would like to have known before attending college. I would have like to have done more research about schools in order to find which school is best for me. I also would have liked to have taken more classes in high school which would have helped prepare me for college, like dual credit or honors classes.

Jessie

The University of Montana Fight Song

The University of Montana Fight Song

A new video compilation of "Monte" the University of Montana mascot.

View of Montana campus from the Oval in front of University Hall and Mt. Sentinel

Jenny

The best thing about MT is the land. There is everything here from 12,000 foot peaks, to flat farm lands, etc. There is so much to do here outside. There is great fishing, rivers for floating, lakes, skiing, hiking, and much more. If you like the outdoors MT is for you, we're called Big Sky country for a reason.

Missoula students are liberal, progressive, and very community oriented. Students here work hard in and outside of school and are a tight knit group. Missoula is a college town and the community as a whole love the student body.

Don't knock a small school in a sparsly populated state, the people here love MT and want you to come and love it too. Also locals are super friendly, as for anyhting and they'll be more that willing to help or show you around.

No, though Montana as a whole is not very diverse, Missoula is most diverse city in the state. There is something for everyone here. It is a very liberal and prgressive town.

The professors at the U of M are great. Most are very hands on, always available for extra help, and are in low student to prof ratios.

Montana football is huge. Everyone in town is at griz football games every Saturday. Average attendence is at about 22,000 per game. Ands with 2 national championships in 1995 and 2001, you have to be there. Hell, we beat Randy Moss!

Small town, not diverse, isloated.

Becca

The most common complaint I've heard recently is about parking. Clearly there is an issue with student parking; with enrollment as high as it's ever been and more parking lots closed for construction etc. it can be difficult finding a place. However, there are many alternatives to consider, like the park & rides or bicycling.

I don't believe that there is any student that would feel out of place at montana. The more unique and interesting you are the more people are going to be curious and want to get to know you. Montana is a very welcoming place.

Not if you take the time to get to know them for who they really are.

In the beginning most classes are lectures where there are so many people the professor doesn't care to ever know your name. As you advance into higher classes in your major you get a chance to get to know your professors.

I met my friends at the UC. I spend so much time there between classes since I live off campus, it wasn't long before I found a group of people in the same situation.

They're all either hippies or hicks.

Not if you take the time to get to know them for who they really are.

They're all either hippies or hicks.

Matt

Montana... as the school goes, we are definately a smaller campus (only about 12,000-14,000 students at any given year), but we've got it all!. no other campus, I mean NO other campus has "the oval". Its a huge green space smack in the middle of campus right in front of university hall, and its always packed with people on a decent day. just like everybody else, we've got monster gym area for students with full athletics, racketteball, basketball, wieghts, running track, machines, climbing wall, open rooms for whatever, a smoothy bar, and tvs infront of all the cardio stuff and all of it indoors and open year round. we've got the student's building with food courts, game room (also huge with over a dozen pool tables, ping pong, and other stuff), a movie theater, and other stuff. thats all on campus. off campus is anything and everything else - you wanna go see a concert, check the reels of them from locals to internationals (elton john and the rolling stones headlined last year) and from country to pop to punk to raggae to whatever. in missoula the nightlife is downtown - an easy walk from campus with multiple hotspots, or just start at one end and work your way back. the best thing about graduating from montana is that any time your wearing UM or Griz stuff and another UM alum spots you they'll let you know it; it sounds a little off hand but when your walking around in Fresno or downtown New York or bummin around Daytona beach and somebody yells at you outta now about the U, its a good feeling to know you've got generations of people with so much school pride... its like having distant family (or maybe just drinking buddies) everywhere. SICK

all i can say is wear what you want, say what you want, talk to whoever you feel like. we've got the locals that may be dirt broke (or maybe not) to wealthy, well to do people. most everybody that comes here seems pretty laid back (until finals anyways). missoula is a big blue dot in the middle of a big red state. we see everybody from barack and hillary to bush and cheney. far left to far right - we get it all out hear and it works to keep everything pollitically interesting. the students here really are no different than the students anywhere else and any public university and every year we always seem to get a good variety of freshman. we also have a huge international exchange program; lots of variety.

yeah its montana... but hell, it beats North Dakota

NO, none of that is true - except for Dennison, he sucks at life, and the cold winters (come-on! its montana, there will be cold and snow in the winter... but the late-spring, summer, fall are hot and sunny). At UM there are more hippies than hillbillies (no joke) and a huge mix of all kinds of people. the greek community is small, and we get a bad rap from the school sometimes but we do have more fun and have a higher graduation rate than the rest of the school. theres more here to do than go hiking and whatnot; missoula is a big place with just about everything to do indoors and out. sports here is a riot when we win and a party if we lose (even if our football coach recruits criminals... there not all bad, and the games are the event of the week). The education is is outstanding; we've got nationally renowned business and law programs and one of the best pharmacy schools in the west.

Being greek you get to know more than just your major and your profs. montana's got some of the best staff in the country. get a degree at university of montana = get employed anywhere in the country (or out of the country for that matter). being a pharmacy major, i got the rundown on most of the science facilities and faculty. I've played pool (and lost badly) against my physics prof at a locals place off campus and bumped into some of my pharm profs at the store - just shot the breeze for a minute like normal people; i've even showed up at a my anthro proffessor's (who was also a Sigma Nu) office hours to do nothing but bullshit about the trouble we got into being greek. This place can be whatever you make it (cliche but true). its intense, its laid-back, most of the faculty are easy going, some suck at life... but it's college, you deal with it. our business and law programs are top notch - we've got CEOs, entrepreneurs, trial lawyers, big timers, mom-and-pop business owners, and up-and-coming government officials graduating every year. its hard work here at montana to grad at the top of your class (really hard) so i guess you could say there's some competition intellectually, but you get out every bit and then some of what you put in here.

theater, clubs for everything from bowling to boarding to reading to racing, athletics, big names in all areas coming to speak to the students, social life, house parties, dorm scandals, secret societies?..., fraternities/sororities, mayhem, mischief, prank-wars, sun, fun: the list could go on and on and - yeah we got 'em all. athletic events are insane and if collegiate sports arent your thing, we got some of the greatest outdoors in the country. skate at the local park that drew names like tony hawk and bam margera to it's opening. want skiing - we're SO close to the hills! join up with the ski or snowboarding clubs and head to any one of the dozens of ski hills in the northwest. when it gets hot (usually july through september) go float the river. want music? 'cause we've got concerts in missoula every week. you can meet people everywhere you go! i met one buddy of mine during orientation just sittn around wait for the thing to start and another when i was just shootin some pool with nothing much else to do. Dennison (the president) might be tryn his best to get rid of us but if you wanna meet people in a hurry - go greek! we've got a small community but we're solid. as for other montana traditions of course there is homecoming but we've got a dance called forester's ball - dress country, hillbilly, hick, redneck, or whatever...it gets roudy! no booze at the dance but no penalty for pregaming either.

students are redneck/hillbillies, theres nothing to do other than outdoors stuff, being greek / the greek life sucks, president of the college (Dennison) should be removed from office (and beaten), the football team is awesome and the coach is great, the winter is all snow and cold, the education isn't on par with larger schools in other states

Helena College University of Montana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.