Helena College University of Montana Top Questions

Shanice

The academics at The University of Montana, Missoula are extremely good. From majoring in fine arts to business, this University revolves around the students and their success. I can directly speak about the School of Business Administration, of which, I am a student and have been for four years. Let me tell you, the importance of succeeding in both academics and careers has taken on the number one role for our professors and deans. Professors in the school of business are student-oriented, versus being research-oriented (this is a good thing!). All of my professors are readily available via email (within 24 hours, but some are even replying at 2:00 am!) or in their offices.

The professors at the U of M are great. Most are very hands on, always available for extra help, and are in low student to prof ratios.

Becca

In the beginning most classes are lectures where there are so many people the professor doesn't care to ever know your name. As you advance into higher classes in your major you get a chance to get to know your professors.

Becca

Being greek you get to know more than just your major and your profs. montana's got some of the best staff in the country. get a degree at university of montana = get employed anywhere in the country (or out of the country for that matter). being a pharmacy major, i got the rundown on most of the science facilities and faculty. I've played pool (and lost badly) against my physics prof at a locals place off campus and bumped into some of my pharm profs at the store - just shot the breeze for a minute like normal people; i've even showed up at a my anthro proffessor's (who was also a Sigma Nu) office hours to do nothing but bullshit about the trouble we got into being greek. This place can be whatever you make it (cliche but true). its intense, its laid-back, most of the faculty are easy going, some suck at life... but it's college, you deal with it. our business and law programs are top notch - we've got CEOs, entrepreneurs, trial lawyers, big timers, mom-and-pop business owners, and up-and-coming government officials graduating every year. its hard work here at montana to grad at the top of your class (really hard) so i guess you could say there's some competition intellectually, but you get out every bit and then some of what you put in here.

One think I really liked was all my classes varied in size. I had classes ranging from 15-200 students. It was a different atmosphere in each class and I really enjoyed it. My favorite classes have been Acting for Non-Majors 1 and 2. I met some of my close friends in those classes and the skills you learn are applicable to everyday life and they're overall just a blast! My major is Anthropology with a focus in Archaeology and I think it's a fascinating subject. I wish the school had Archaeology as a major, however. Unfortunately the school is losing a lot of funding in its history department as well, so all of the classes I was interested in taking are not being taught.

If you plan to make the deans list never get a C. also keep a copy of your school catalog because it will save you later, e.g. if an academic rule changes it won't apply to you cause of the year you entered. Make sure professors know your name. if there is something wrong about your test or homework score make sure they know. they have hundreds of students so it is hard to keep track of what is really going on. I have been in a couple of classes that depend on your OVERALL grade such as performance through the semester and progress so just make sure the professor knows who you are. take to hard the 2:1 rule for every 1 hour of lecture do two hours of studying in that class it will seriously help in the long run. Montana's academics are pretty legit. it is not rocket science at this college as long as you do minimal work you are well on your way. i recommend meeting with someone in the TRIO department. they will help you with internships, campus life, tutoring, getting a job, everything and they are all friendly.

amanda

the smaller classes are my preference, as there is more interaction, the professors know your name, and it seems to be a more comfortable learning environment. as for big classes, the history of rock & roll with jeff brandt is a MUST. if you like music, and you want to have some fun while learning at the same time, take the course. :)

Here's the big picure. Teachers care about education at UM. Teachers care about what they are teaching, and tend to be experts on the topics they share. Don't miss Anthropology 101 by Gary Kerr, Advanced Composition by Robert Stubblefield, or the fly-fishing classes.

Montana students are very laid back. Nobody is here trying to become the next president of the United States or the highest powered lawyer in the nation. Conversation is open and honest, students are friendly and real. Professors realize this, too. Classes can be tough but most professors are kind and understanding. It is not difficult to maintain a decent GPA at Montana.

I took an English class this past semester that actually made me enjoy and learn poetry, and my professor was incredible and interactive with the students! She even encouraged me to change my major to English! In smaller classes such as this it is easy to be known by your professor, but unless you speak up and talk to the professor in the larger classes they will seldom know your name. The students are also incredibly smart! As an A/B student in high school I feel very academically challenged and like I belong to the academic community.

The teachers are interested about teaching, and a lot of major classes and taught by professors and not T.A.'s which is very nice.

Depending on the size of your class, normally at teacher will remember your name, or atleast try to commit it to memory. But just like anything else it can really depend on your teacher, or the student. When you walk in the the University Center Commons you see a while selection of activities, which is a very good show of the diversity of academics at Montana. You have students who are buried in there books, studying like ther is no tomorrow. Students who are half studying and half talking to friends, and also students who don't even have a book out. When you're talking about the academics at the school it really depends on the student. We have a great program, set up for those who want to learn, and can prepare you for a great career. But like every school there are students who don't milk their education for all that they can get out of it.

Patricia

I am a business major and I want to go inti business for myself. Some professors are full of themselves. Some are awae4d wsinning professors others only believe that they are that good. Some teachers make you buy a $115 dollar book and have you read maybe a chapter. That drives me crazy. They don't realize that not everyone is a trustfund baby. Many of us are trying to get our education later in life never really being pushed to go to college. I think some of the professors know how to teach, others just like the paycheck and the life they are able to live because of teaching. But we are not learning from them, we are paying for their sauna and property but all we do is get cussed at because they feel they can teach us by swearing at us. That does not seem adult and in college I never felt that my professor needed to swear at me so I could learn.

Aimee

The Professors are what make Montana such a great place to learn. They get to know you and are always there to help.

If you take the time to introduce yourself to the professors they will go out of their way to make the class a great experience for you. This school is too big for them to seek everyone out and get to know them but they definitely do make the effort to if you let them. Class size differs the smaller classes are definitley more hands on and personal where as the big ones (500 seats is the biggest) are quite the same. I'm a business major, and I love the business school, teachers go out of their way to help you in your career endeavors they are passionate about helping you succeeed. The biggest comment I have is that this school has great people and facilities ready and willing to help you learn all you can and succeed in what ever major and career you have if you take the initative to go to them.

Ray

Academics at Montana have always been and will always be in competition with the temptation of Missoula's surrounding outdoors. Missoula has just as much, if not more, outdoor activities to offer than classes on the rosters, however, I believe that Montana students know when to pick up their books. In my experience at UM, I have always had my weekends planned with something fun and exciting to do. I often find that the many snowboarding and hiking trips that students take will definitely be a weight on their GPAs. Outside of outdoors, UM has many academic temptations. My favorite and most challenging course I've taken at the U has to be David (Gerry) Kerr's anthropology course. I say challenging not in the sense that it was difficult, but that it was hard to get myself to not be uber engaged in the material. The way that Kerr teaches his courses offers students the ability to focus on the material for once instead of the politics and scrutinization of most professors. As for the academic orientation of the University of Montana, I feel that it is more important to the U that students learn how to think for themselves, then how to get a great GPA and awesome letters of recommendations that they can use in the corporate world. I would dare say that Thoreau would have vied to study at the University of Montana.

There are a lot of large lectures here where the professor doesn't know your name, but as you get farther along in your major the classes get smaller and more personalized. You do have to put forth the effort in the beginning to get to know your teachers, but they are in general very good and interesting people. The most unique class I took was Islamic Civilization and although the class was huge, the teacher was extremely dedicated and interesting to listen to. A lecture class, doesn't necessarily mean a bad class here.

The University of Montana, for the most part, as pretty damn good teachers. As a philosophy major, I'm fortunate to know and be known by name by some of the most prominent American philosophers. For a small town, UM's philosophy department is very, very good in both the classics and continental traditions. The theater and art departments are small but good. I had a really great guitar teacher last semester. The Journalism school is huge, and they just built a new building. The science departments are small, but there are some good teachers. My astronomy class kicks ass.

I am interested in Japanese studies, and one of the main reasons that I chose UM is because of its Japanese program. In high school, I had heard from other students at UM that it is a great program. Now that I have been taking classes from the Japanese department for 2 years, I definitely agree that it is challenging and rewarding. My favorite classes have been Japanese language, literature, and film. The class size is usually around 15-20 for language classes and about 20-30 for literature classes. All of the professors are very helpful and are available to meet with at their office hours or you can schedule an appointment. There are also study abroad opportunities and internships available in Japan through UM. For general education requirements, the English and math classes are smaller (around 20-30 students per class), with discussions and assignments. The science classes are quite large (100 or more) and consist of lectures and powerpoint slides. I definitely recommend taking a balance of general education requirement classes and classes in your major. In your freshman year, you will be assigned an advisor that will help you decide what classes to take.

Toby

Academics at a college like MT are what you make them. It is a public college, but the nature of the surrounding area has led to a wide variety of incredible professors coming here. I have personally had professors who have studied and taught at institutions like Harvard, Yale, Notre Dame, Columbia, etc. Like any college, some professors are outstanding, and some are awful. Avoid big lecture classes if you can, because there is little motivation to go and little opportunity for interaction with the professor. Very few courses at the University are taught by TA's, with the exception of a few 100 level general education courses. (The one class I've taken with a TA was very structured but a VERY good class nonetheless) If you wanted to get through your entire Undergraduate without ever being in a class of more than 30 is entirely possible here, depending of course on your major. Students at UM are very intellectual (in general) and all the stereotypes about late night coffee shop conversations do actually occur here. Students are often competitive and tend to be here by choice. Most people I know were accepted into many colleges and chose UM for its beautiful scenery (Rolling Stone ranked it as the "Most Beautiful Campus in America.") its outdoor opportunities, or its relative inexpensiveness. UM will offer the most generic classes that you can imagine (English Composition 101) to the most quirky (History of Rock and Roll.)

Classes are great at UM. There is definitely a mix as to whether or not professors know your name. You may have a statistics lecture of 200 students where the professor is lucky to know one kid's name. But with that kind of class, there is a linked "lab" with 20 or so students and a well-qualified TA who for sure knows your name. And that kind of mix allows for two different learning environments for one class that make for a very thorough way of learning the subject. Another thing to consider when applying to UM is applying for the Davidson Honors College. Although anyone can take honors classes, you have more "outside of the classroom" opportunities when you are accepted. Honors courses are capped at about 20-25 students with phenomenal professors who expect class participation. Studying is obviously a part of every student's academic life. We have a great library - The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library. It has 5 floors that include: all sorts of books, study tables or couches, study rooms, computers, wireless, a print and copy center, tutoring, and many other benefits.

i feel that the classes at the U of M are veryworth while and dont waste your time. The most interesting class i have taken is a stretch and relax class. i actually enjoy going becasue it really does help you relax and get your day started stress free! i dont think i have taken a bad class yet. i admitt that sometimes the lectures are boring but over all they are very good classes and i have always gotten something out of every class! my favorite class so far has to be my social work 100 class. that class helped me to decide what i wanted to do with my life so i swiched major and am now persuing it.

Jackie

Because the campus is such a nice size, it is odd to find a class where the professors do not know you by name. There are of course some classes that are just so big that the professor would never be able to know everyones name but that is a very rare thing indeed. The professors are absolutely wonderful and are very helpful in anything you are having problems with. My favorite class would probably have been my Irish history class. I was able to visit Ireland for three weeks because of it and ended up coming to Ireland for a semester abroad after that class and trip. There are just so many opportunities to travel and experience life. My least favorite would be math but this is partly because I have a learning disability when it comes to this subject. Class participation is very common. I have actually had an in depth arguement with my professor. It was for a class on the writings of Padraig Pearse and Geoffry Keating. We were talking about the Irish War of Independence and I wouldn't say the entire class got involved but they found the information they were learning from this arguement to be very helpful in the class itself. The Drama department is quite a demanding major. There are a couple different paths that you can take. The BA is the simplest choice. This is a great choice if you are double majoring or have a major and a minor. There is also the BA choice in teaching and then of course the technical aspect of theatre. The BFA in acting is extremely demanding with auditions held after your second year of study. These are called mid programs and if you don't get accepted after mid program then you do not continue on in the BFA program until you audition again. This is can be tough but it is a very demanding business and not just anyone can make it. You have to work hard for what you want.

The programs here are pretty good. Im in the wildlife program and I like it a lot. In the beginning classes are about 150 students or more, just because they are general classes but as you get into hight level classes the classes become a lot nicer size. The one thing that is a requirement that is a pain is the WPA. Just know that you need to take it before you graduate and get it out of the way early.

In general, I have been thoroughly impressed by the academics here. For the most part, I have had great professors and classes have been interesting and stimulating. Classes here certainly hold up to the ones I took at NYU and in some cases (Journalism) exceed NYU's. I am a photojournalism major here and one of the main reasons that I transferred was the reputation of UM's journalism program. UM's photojournalism school is one of 11 accredited programs in the country and the classes I have taken so far live up to its reputation. Keith Graham, the head of the photojournalism school is incredible and extraordinarily helpful. He tries to make the things you want happen and you can tell that the photojournalism school really cares about catering to its students. Outside of the journalism department, I have taken creative writing classes, history classes, environmental studies classes, anthropology classes, economics classes, math classes, political science classes and even received school credit for a fly-fishing class.

So easy to pass classes here...professors don't care about students though.

I know all of my professors, but if you are in a large class you need to make sure your noticed!!! Make sure to ask questions and introduce yourself at the beginning of each semester. If you need help on something go to your professors office hours and get it!!! Professors love when you seek help if you need it, it show you really care and are trying. If you cant make their office hours many of the professors here are very willing to meet up with you on weekends or evenings.

My department/major is Japanese. It's a really small department with only three professors, but they know who I am, and they actually know most of the students there, at least the ones with the major as we interact with the three most. My favorite class is most absolutely my Japanese language class. We have to study hard for it, but it pays off. My class participates and interacts with the professor a lot in the classroom. The most unique class I've taken was my Sociology of Alternative Religions course, it was outside my major, but a requirement for my general education requirements. I learned an awful lot in that class and I've had a lot of fun in it, as well. I think that the education at the university is geared toward what the students want to get out of it. The Japanese department learning is geared towards learning so that we can get a career later on; there's even a program that we can enter after graduation.

I think U of M has a good academic reputation. In large lectures it is hard to have a relationship with your professor but if you take the time to ask them a question before or after class they are more likely to remember you. My favorite class this year was anthropology with David Kerr, it was so fun and interesting. My least favorite was American Literature since 1865, it was just very tedious with reading and essays. Living in the dorms I think students study less often because they have the option to nap or watch tv, but otherwise the library is full of students on a day to day basis... the library is a very good place to get things done. The most unique class I have taken is Yoga which was very fun and different. I think if you declare a major and stick with it then the U is geared to helping you get a career or job in the future.

Most professors will learn your name in the smaller classes. If you approach your professors, they will make an honest effort to learn your name. My favorite class is Media Arts 101. You watch movies, how cool is that! My least favorite class was Accounting 201. Class participation is common, especially in classes graded on participation. Students are competitive in the more specialized majors, like accounting and pre-law.

Patricia

Many resources here at the University. Numerous programs to help you succeed no matter what career choice you make.

We have some of the best academics in the US as well. My major is Sociology and the UM has one of the top-rated Sociology programs in the country.

Most of the classes are small, but they are small for my major. Other students have larger classes depending on their majors. Studying is also dependent on the major. Math students don't leave the math building, same for physics students. Journalism students don't have a lot of studying to do, but they have a lot of projects and other homework that takes up a significant amount of their time. Outside of class, I will sometimes visit professors at their office hours, if I have questions, but beyond that, I don't see them.

Hunter

Most of my professors have a good relationship with me and I enjoy talking to them before, during, or after school. My favorite class so far has been Dendrology with Ed. J Burke and my least favorite class has been pre-calculus with professor Dick Lane. Most Montana students in the Forestry department are very intelligent and enjoy talking about their major outside of class; other colleges here at UM I could not say. The education at Montana is geared toward getting a job while also giving useful information from multiple subjects in any college.

Most of my professors do know my name because I'm one of the students with the travel letters the first week of class, or the one emailing them because I missed an in class assignment for volleyball. I think students study a fair amount, its usually not too out of control ridiculous until finals week. My favorite class is probably Spanish because I want to become fluent so bad. My least favorite might have to be calc because it's all stuff I've done before. I think the requirements in my field (Biology) are very fair, although I am also planning on a 5 year degree so I'm not worried about getting through in 4.

Shelley

Professors are incredible if you want to get to know them. They love interacting if you give them the chance.

The professors in the HHP department are great as are the ones in the art program. The chemistry program however has some bad ones accept Garon. He is a great teacher.

Most of the time professors know my name. That is because I take the initiative to go and talk to them and get to know them. My favorite classes are the upper division classes because they are about a certain subject not a broad group of things. Most of the students I know study as little as possible which isn't that much. I like to study a lot because I don't like to feel unprepared. If participation is necessary then class participation is great but when it's not required then usually it slacks a lot. Some of the most deep intellectual conversations I have ever had have been in the Cadet Lounge of the ROTC building. Most students seem laid back and not very competitive until you meet them on the Ultimate Frisbee field. The most unique class I've ever taken is the ROTC classes. They are all amazing. The professors in my department are very knowledgeable and helpful. They know their stuff and teach it well. I do not spend time with teachers outside of class other than once I swam every morning with my math professor. I feel Montana's academic requirements are far and give you a wide spectrum of classes that help broaden your horizons. So far it seems that the education is geared towards learning but I think once you get into the 300 and 400 level classes then it will start to be more job specific.

The campus, no, this CITY is full of hippies. There are intellectual conversations happening all over the place: the local coffee shops, in classes, under the nearest tree in the Oval. It's a safe environment to be who you want to be and express you individual opinions.

Professor Richard Drake is the best teacher in the state of Montana bar none.

Most of the Environmental Studies professors know my name. My favorite class is the one I am in right now, Globalization, Justice, and the Environment because the professor is great and I am learning a lot about the IMF, WB, and WTO. Least favorite was Microeconomics and I am sure others would agree. I study every night, I have to for Spanish because it is everyday. Students study during the week, but not the weekends because that is when everyone goes skiing. Class participation is very common, especially in small upper division classes. I would say some students have intellectual conversations outside of class, mostly graduate students. No, I think very few students are competitive. Montana students just like the learning environment and applying it outside the classroom. The most unique class I have taken is Music of the Worlds People, we learned and listened to music from all over the world. It was fun! Environmental Studies is a laid back major, it is a hippie major, I will admit there are a high number of students with dreadlocks. It is so integrated though and you get to know professors well. Plus the program is connected with a local farm where students can work for internship credit. I spend time with my EVST advisor outside of class because she is the advisor of the Environmental Action Community, which I lead. I feel Montana's academic requirements are normal, we have a writing examination that students have to pass before graduation. Students will gripe about it, but it isn't that bad Education is geared towards getting job, depending on what field you are going into. Professors make sure you have the skills necessary when you leave, like field research methods.