Henderson State University Top Questions

If I could go back in time to my high school senior year the first thing I would tell myself is to apply for every scholarship! You are going to regret not doing it later on. The next thing I would tell myself is to read the ACT book mom got you. That ACT score is most definitely not a joke. Also, I would tell myself to make plenty of high school memories and go out as much as you can, because in college school is not a joke and you can't go have fun whenever you feel like it. The advice I would give myself about the transition is be ready to study a lot and don't print out every college dorm room list there is online. You do not need a sewing kit. That's a waste of your money.

Raven

The advice i would tell my would be that you should focous on yourself and dont let anyone bring you down. There are people in the world that would not what to see other make it in life.

Every class is important. Be sure to do your very best, beginning with your Freshman year. There is a time and a place for everything. Now is the time to put your best foot forward - this will impact the rest of your life.

Collin

I would tell myself not to slack off and be more prepared. I would explain the best method of studying for my personal benefit, a skill I have had to teach myself through college because I did not work as hard as I should have in high school. I would tell myself to work harder in high school because I didn't realize how important GPA's and ACT scores are to both acceptance and financial aid opportunities. I would tell myself to realize how much help my parents would need to put me through college and not just assume that I deserved to go there and that things would fall into place without me working for them. My high school self was totally unaware of the importance of working hard and succeeding, but part of me is glad that college has been so difficult for me. It has taught me to appreciate my success and be disappointed in my failure. The person I am now is a hard-workind, dedicated student, and I want my high school self to see what he will become, but also know that he could make it better with more work.

JeTaun

If I traveled back in time, I will advise myself to follow my own heart, don't waste time, or be afraid to dream. When you follow your own heart the mind will react and believe, such as going to a University. Some people will say, “You cannot be looking at $50,000 a year college, based on your financial need” though this is true, do not listen to them. If you set your mind and heart together you can achieve anything in this world and society, just because one or two people say you can’t do it does not mean you can’t. Next, Je-Taun do not waste time, get as many scholarships as you can. Even though you may feel overwhelmed at first, take a little break and continue applying; do not stop. Lastly, do not be afraid to dream of success. Dreams provide an incentive to keep reaching until that dream comes true. Yes, I know what you’re thinking many people will say “Keep dreaming”, but that’s what you do. If you have your heart and mind set on the right path you will become invincible. No matter what always believe in yourself.

Mathew

If I could go back to my senior year and give myself advice, I would tell my self not to wish it away. Enjoy high school because you only have one life and live it to the fullest. I would make sure to tell me that when you play sports play every game like its your last because you dont always have the chance to play. Always keep your friends close in case you have a bad day they can help you out and get you through it. When you get to college go out and meet new and dont just sit in your room and watch tv or sleep enjoy the college life. Make friends that will last a lifetime.

Cherith

When I was younger grades always came easy to me. I never had to study hard. When I got to high school I thought that it was going to be just as easy. I found myself slacking off in high school and not studying as much. I did not really get back on track until my junior year. This in some ways hindered me as I got in college. I still ended up with a decent GPA but it was not as good as I liked it to be. This affected me while entering college. I received scholarships but I did not receive as many as I would have liked to. When I entered my first year in college I did very well. The first semester it was very hard trying to get myself to study. I was not used to doing it so I had to make myself self sit down and study for hours. The second semester studying came easy to me because I was used to doing it. So if I could go back in time I would tell myself to study more. Even though you think you aren’t learning anything you actually are absorbing knowledge.

Heidi

My biggest advice to myself would be that it's okay to not know what I want to do. I feel that too many kids are pressured to go into college knowing exactly what they want to do with their lives and have that path planned out. I feel that it is much better to go into your freshman year of college with the idea to explore the thousands of career paths that are available. The careers that you consider while in high school are limited, you see very little of what is actually out there, but once you begin colleg a whole new world opens up. Explore! Take the opportunity to take that Landscape Architecture class or to dip into your photography skills. Just because you always thought you wanted to be a math teacher doesn't mean you have to follow that career path, there are hundreds more options for you if math really is what you want to study. I'd definitely advise you to take at least that first semester at college and take any classes that interest you. You'll enjoy your experience so much more and you never know what you will find.

Kacy

"Kacy, you are not ready to go to college yet. If you go this semester you will bring down your GPA and it will be much harder for you to bring it back up. You will experience many things in life, and yes, you will eventually return to college. Much will have changed but you will be more prepared. You will enjoy experiencing all that college life has to offer; even being so bold as to participate in events you currently wouldn't be interested in. Keep reading, keep your mind open, and keep expanding your knowledge. It is not your time yet, but you will know when you should return. Save up money while you can because it will be expensive, but it is the best choice you can make for yourself. One a side note, boys will come and go but you will find the perfect one, don't get a tattoo on your neck, keep exercising, and lay off the hair dye."

Being at Henderson State University has helped me as a student and as a person greatly. It has allowed me to further my education in a friendly environment where classes aren't too big and where I can almost always find somebody to talk to whether it's a teacher or peer advisor or tutor. Being here has also started me thinking about my future more seriously than I previously have. I've been able to see what's it like to be away from home; I have become more responsible as far as studying, saving money, doing my own laundry, going to class, and things like that. The people here are great, you could make a friend out of pretty much anybody. However, all this being said, I think the greatest thing I've gotten from being a student at Henderson State University is the chance to grow up. Being here as helped me to grow up spiritually and mentally; I've learned to put off things I want for things I need, to not always do what my friends do, and to be my own person. That's what I have gotten from Henderson State University.

Volodymyr

My college experience has taught me how to be a resposible adult. I have gained a lot of knowledge that I use in my daily actions and activities. It has been valuable to attend, because I was able to make someone out of myself. I would like to help my community as soon as I graduate as a Registered Nurse.

Phillip

In my college experience, I made several life long friends, whom I know will always be there if I need them. I was well-known and respected in my specific college and the one that most called for questions about homework, tests, or projects. I was always available and ready to attend study groups and all nighters if needed. I sacrifced somewhat in my social life trying to maintain good grades, as well as working part time/full time on nights and weekends. I did find time to join a fraternity, where most of my lifelong friends were made, and like my classroom friends, I was well-respected in the fraternity as well. The respect came mainly from my ability to juggle so many things and excel in every area. No matter how much studying or work needed to be done, whenever a friend called in need, I would always find a way to help out in any and every way possible. I learned many life lessons in college, from earning respect to good grades, making sacrifices and juggleing friends, work, school and family life. Also, how to make mistakes, and deal with consequences and problems that arose.

malikah

n

Sharilynn

The greatest experience I am getting out of college is the knowledge. I have raised four children and didn't have the time to continue my education until now. I have always dreamed of being in the medical field and finally my dreams are coming true. I study all the time and enjoy everything about college. I maintain high scores and want to make sure no financial aid is being "wasted" on me. I appreciate all the financial help I may receive and want to make sure the funds are well spent on myself. The best advice I could give anyone thinking about continuing their education, "just do it". No matter how old you are, you are never too old to learn. I am proof of that. My education may be coming later in my life, but I'm doing it just the same. I greatly appreciate all the assistance I can receive in continuing my education. I am truly blessed to live in a country where education is plentiful. I have no regrets in my life and love my country!!

Jaysen

I have been disabled from an auto accident since I was sixteen years old. The doctors told my mother I would be brain dead, not able to walk or talk. When I woke up I could see, but a bedrail was left down and I fell out of bed, hit my head on the IV stand and lost my eyesight, but now here I am continuing my education. Since then, in college I have gained skills which will enable me to be a productive citizen in the working world and a valuable employee to the corporation which I will be work for in the future. During the past four years of my college education I have gained knowledge that will help me relate with people. There are many different types of people, who all need help, which comes from different forms of assistance. I now have my AA and BA, I will not quit, give up or stop until I have my doctorate degree, because this is what it will take to be where I am needed to be in this society. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Eddy

The most valuable thing I've learned while at college is discipline. Since I've been in college, I've learned to be a more continent, responsible individual; and several of my professors have served as great role models. It is a truly rewarding experience and I encourage anyone with the means and the opportunity to attend to give it a shot. I'm the first person in my family to attend college, so at the time I didn't put much thought into it. I didn't know many college graduates aside from my teachers, and I didn't think I'd actually stick it out. At the time of writing this, I'm on my way to completing degrees in three majors (Biology, Mathematics, and Business Management; with a Chemistry minor,) and looking forward to attaining my doctorate at Michigan State, if they'll be kind enough to have me. This is a far cry from the blue collar, impoverished region of Arkansas that I hail from; and although I see nothing wrong with manual labor, I think my quality of living will be vastly improved simply because I was fortunate enough to experience college.

If I could return back in time and give advice to myself, I would truly tell myself how important my grades are in college. In high school, I knew that grades were important, but I always thought I had time to pull them up. I was so obsessed in my social life, like winning Homecoming Queen and being on the dance team when I really should have paid more attention to my studies. Now in my second year of college, I realize what is more important and I'm working from a cumulative gpa of 2.5 and bringing it on up. I really wish that I could have realized the importance of it then, but I feel now it still is not too late to do an about-face and get my future on the right track. Now I have the opportunity to tell my little brother of the mistakes I made in high school and not to follow after me. I would tell him that he needs to focus on what's important for his future, not what is important for his social life. I am a role model now, a good one; and it feels so good.

I would tell myself to be more prepared. College life is anything but easy. It is a huge transition that requires a lot of work and getting used too. Your life decisions rest souly upon your sholders. I am a huge family person so I was not prepared for the difficult move. I probably would have learned how to cook so I wouldn't be eating frozen food all year. I would have wanted to be pushed harder in school as well. I wish that I would have had harder assignments than i did. I try not to procrastinate, but that is very hard with so many distractions. I wish i would have known that college is no joke. It is a serious life changing move that requires much strength. Now that i am here I have adjusted well and hope to continue on this amazing ride.

Hailie

To start in high school not being to dependent on your teachers.. Learn to figure out stuff on your own. Strive for excellence and dont settle for average reach for the sky. Apply for alot of scholarships money matters. Test scores big thing take that ACT/ SAT as many times its cool to be smart trust me

Jeannie

Get up off you butt and get involved. Become active in any and all groups, classes, and activities that interest you. College is a time to learn, grow, and experience. You will be setting yourself up for the rest of your life and you should take this WONDERFUL opportunity to explore all you can. It requires a commitment and dedication to yourself. You will be scared, nervous, and unsure of yourself for a short time, but that will pass. With every new adventure you conquer, you will become more and more you. This change in your life will be the most wonderful place you will ever be. Finish what you start! Do not quit college thinking you can go back later. Although your intentions will be to return within 2 years, you will find yourself 12 years later trying to finish a degree. I know you are unsure, but this is the best time to find out the answers. Even then you will be seeking answers for the rest of your life. College is time in youth not to be wasted. It is WAY more fun as a youth than as an adult. Enjoy and grow.

If I were able to go back in time, to when I was a high school senior, and tell myself anything I do not know now, I would make sure to tell myself to not wait to continue education. Don't wait to enroll in college, don't put off looking for scholorships and grants, don't try and "just work for a few months." I would tell myself to use the encouragement and resources put in front of me to get into college, as there were many resources and more than plenty of people willing to help. If I had the chance, I would also tell myself to get into Running Start classes through the high school so that the transition into a college setting would be even easier. I would also tell myself not to skip out on the opportunity to go to any college presentations or chances to meet professional workers, even if it wasn't the field I was interested in, they would still have really good insight about attending school after high school, and be able to give me a glimpse of how my life could be.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to take the ACT as many times as I could and to fill out as many scholarships as possible. Also I would tell myself that stresssing doesnt do much good and that everything is going to work out. I would let myself know that I could have started searching for scholarships long before I actually did. I would tell myself to always have an open mind because college is so diverse and exciting and to get the full expirience it is good to try to see all sorts of different views even if I dont agree it helps to understand. To start looking at different majors and that could have helped me pick a school even though I am happy with the one I am at, it doesnt have the major I am currently looking for. I would also let myself know the price of books and supplies.

Quinton

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would first tell myself to take in all of the advice that my teachers, family, and pastor have given me over the years. Taking their advice would be as good as winning the lottery. When a senior hears words of wisdom, many times he feels that it can only be used way later in time. Now that I am a college student, the" way later" is here! One of the best advice tips was given to me by my great grandmother. She said , "When your out on your own, away from your safe familiar territory, you will be tempted. Just always remember to ask yourself, What would your family and Jesus be proud of what you are doing?" If the answer is yes, then go for it!

Alyson

I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships mainly. But I also would tell myself that its time to grow up and that I don't need to worry about most the things I worried about then. That most the things in high school are no longer that important to me like fitting in and having to worry about other people. The things that matter are school work and making sure my money is ok and the friends that care about me. I wish i had known that when i started college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stay focused on finishing high with good grades and not to slack off. Then I would advise myself to make sure to apply for as many scholarships as possible to make sure the I have enough money so I don't have get a lot of money from student loans like I do now. Also, I would tell myself not to get distracted by the craziness of college life and stay focused on keeping my GPA up so I don't lose any scholarships due to a low GPA.

Be chill, don't try to talk people into liking you. Be chill. You're name isn't Coop in college.

Make sure to bring your gade point average up. Don't anticipate , but participate. Have fun, but make sure to study. Make many friends. Remember, these are the best years of your life. Make the most of them!

As a high school senior, I would have told myself to direct my decision towards a school based on the academics. I would have taken my ACT over and over again, until I got a high enough score to receive academic scholarships. I see the struggle it is for my parents to pay my tuition. I have three younger sisters, two of whom graduate in 2011 and I hate the fact that they have to worry about my tuition as well. I would have told myself to focus hard during my first semester because it is definitely a big transition. If I could do it all over again, I would have made a lot of different decisions.

Tawnia

When I was in high school, one of the last things I thought about was college. I had it rough growing up with a mom who was bi-polar and a drug addict. It seemed like we were always poor and I thought there was no way I could go, or even wanted to go to college. Finally at 29, I started and by 31 I had my associates degree in Medical Assisting. I can finally start my career! I only wish I had started sooner. There is a huge difference because you are forced to go to high school so most times, you don't want to go. I actually loved going to college. It was my choice to go and that made a world of difference. There were so many times I thought I couldn't do it or I wasn't smart enough and am so happy to say I proved myself wrong. You just have to think about things in a positive way and have faith in yourself. YOU CAN DO IT, you just have to want it. My whole family is so proud of me too. Never give up yourself and have faith.

When picking a college, it's REALLY important to visit the school you're interested in during school hours. Talk to some of the professors in your department of interest, ask if you can sit in on a class or two, and, most importantly, ask students around campus how they feel about the school they're attending. Pamphlets and advisors are good for facts and numbers, but when it comes down to really loving your school and being proud of where you get your degree, the students are the best people to ask. Get their input on some of the professors you met, ask them about how much homework they get, what kind of activities there are on campus, Greek life, financial aid, school traditions, and the services that are available to students on campus. Nobody will know a school better than its students will, so ask as many people as you can for their help and advice.

When I first walked onto the Henderson campus, I knew it was the right school for me! My advice for parents and students is this: visit every campus that you are considering! That is the key to knowing if the school is right for you. You may have heard that a certain campus is great, but you never know until you visit it! While some may think its great, it may not be for you! When you take a school lead tour, you get actual students telling you how things are on campus, sometimes you even can go sit in on a class to see how the professors are and how they interact with the students. Another piece of advice, don't choose a college because you have a friend going there! You may not be friends the entire college experience, go to that college because YOU want to go to it! When you get to college, you start making your own choices, so start with choosing the best one for you!

In my search for the right University I based most of what I wanted on the Women's basketball programs since I am a college athlete. Looking back on my decision making progress I wish I would have takent the time to look more at the academics as well as the college life. I was so focused on the sports aspect that I missed out on the oppurtunities to look for clubs and organizations that interested me and will further my hopes of entering into Medical school. Although I am satisfied with my decision becuase of my basketball program, I think it is important to really evaluate how bad you want to play a college sport. You must be ready for very long days of school, practice, and hours of homework everyday. With the addition of games while you are in season and tons of other meetings and responsibilities that come along with the sport. Remember that the reason for attending college is to further your education and playing a sport is just a benefit. Make sure that the school you decid upon will be a comfortable place where you can be yourself and mature into an educated healthy adult.

Visit the college, attend a class, talk to students and professors. View the dorms, and the class buildings, and then take a walk without a campus escort. Walk where you see other students walk, whether on the grass or on the concrete, listen to them as they talk, watch them as they act. You'll see, in places the escort may not have taken you, how the students really act, and how much they actually like their professors. If you see people smoking and drinking in the corners, it mght not be a good place. If you see these same corners filled with people laughing and talking, with books or with a frisbee or football, it's probably a better place to go.

Sondra

The advice that I would give to parents and students is to make sure that is the college the child or children want to attend. It is best to find a college that the child wants to go to because the child will make the best out of their college experience and put their best into to their education because it is a college they want to attend.

Do a good bit of research and asking around. You can never take enough campus tours. Encourage your kids to go greek!

Tametrya

When considering a college, one should apply to several different ones very early in order to have enough time to make decisions about a particular college. Family and friends usually have fairly sound advice about colleges but the final decision is up to the person who will or will not be attending that college. One should research the colleges that he or she is interested in becaucse that will help to make a better informed decision about that school. Once one arrives at the school of his or her choice, it may not be easy to make friends at first, but the best way to meet people is to try to get involved with campus activities. It is easier to find people with similar interests when you're involved in a sport or a club. Attending campus functions is another way to meet people and interact with others. There are parties thrown by fraternities and sororities but in order to not get in trouble with the law or the school is to know your own limits and not let people take advantage. College is a really great experience that teaches one about the world and his or herself.

Tracey

The best advice that I could give a parent and/or student is to make sure that they are ready to commit in continuing their education. When the student is focused and ready to continue their education, than they will know what they are looking for and will be ready to choose a college that will benefit them in their future.

Darnisha

To the parents, letting your child go is not fun and by fare the one of the hardest things you will have to do. Finding the right college helps easy the pain a little bit. You also have to let the college be of your childs choice and not make that important decison for them because of financial issues. As a parent you need to be supportive of your child and know that its a hard transition from high school to collge. To the students, stay focused. College is a lot harder than it seems. Dont come to college expecting a teacher to give you a grade you didnt work or show up for. Handle what needs to be handled and make it through. There are so many students who come to school and think its a joke and flunck out in thier first semester. College is not for everyone. If college is not something that you want to do then talk to your parents. Make the right decision about you futrue. Good Luck to you both.

Miracle

My advice would to be touring alot of different campuses and see which one he or she feels at home the most at. Dont base you decisions off of a relationship or friendship. Do whats best for you, because remember your the one thats going to be at that school for 4-maybe even 5 years. so make sure your decision is based on excatly where you want to be!

Camille

Go and visit the campus first, and stay a couple of days. You have to feel comfortable not only in the classroom, but on the quad/commons, and around town also.

Seth

The student and parent should both take a tour of the prospective colleges so that you can make a better and informed decision. Additionally, you should talk with as many professors as you can. I would advise at least three.

Antwon

That it should be a place that has great academics and a place to were the student can have a good social life and overall just be able to succeed in whatever they are doing.

Clinton

just do your very best an high school and get good grades. do some off-campus activities to help you get somewhere you want to go.

Chad

Tour the campus first and ask students currently attending about the activities and aspects that the University may not think to talk about.

Reneasha

Before applying to attend a college make sure you take a tour of the college and surrounding areas. Then, make sure they offer the major that will lead you in the right direction for the career you intend to pursue. So, you want have to worry about having to transfer in the long run. Since, most universities do not accept a major of transfer credits from out of state univesities. Also never ever pick a school because of its extracurricular activities, but pick it because of its academic program. Now, when you get to the college of your choice is good to get socially get involve. You should just stick to you classmates. but be friendly and have conversations with people on your way to class or to the cafeteria. Also, attending a variety of campus hosted evets will help you learn different cultures and help the school year go by faster. If you stay in your room an never go anywhere college seems like a punishment. Then, if there is nothing going on campus just take a relaxing walk or swim to enterain yourself.

Meghann

Take your time to decide if the school is right for you, don't just go because all of your friends were accepted and are going there (chances are, your friends from high school won't be your friends when you get to college). When you get there, if it isn't, you will only be disappointed, and that dosen't make for a very good college experience. When you finally make it to school, remember, you don't have to be the same person you were in high school, you can be who you want to be. And make sure that you get out there and try new things, you will get chances to meet new people, and become interested in things that you never thought you would even almost enjoy.

Research for the field you or your child desires to enter. After that, visit the colleges to determine if the atmosphere and programs will be the best medium to achieve those goals. We're here to learn. So make sure you're learning the right stuff at the right place in the right ways.

Martha

Pick the school that just feels the most like "home."