Conway, AR
Hendrix College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hendrix College

Dale

Many students are sheltered.

Many students are sheltered.

I often complain that other students at Hendrix lack passion, drive, motivation, intellect, and maturity. While this may be true, it is not necessarily bad, for I am forced to work with these individuals. It's been valubale for me to learn that not everyone in the world is exactly like me, and that I better be able to get along with those who are not similar to me. That's life. I've come into contact with individuals with whom I would never have interacted otherwise. My best friend wants to be a Southern Baptist minister. I went back to his house for Thanksgiving and was shocked when his Mother was reffered to as "woman." I was forced to understand that although I may come from a completely different background, people with sexist attitudes and such still exist, and that their opinions are no less valuable than mine.

Student don't know how to get things done in the real world.

Cara

Very open to various ideals and perspectives on life as well as very educated in their area of study as well as the world around them.

The educational standard is much higher than high school in college and thus has given me more impowerment to do well on my studies. This has carried over to other accpects of my life, changing me as a person into a well-rounded head-strong individual that knows how to work for the things that I dream to accomplish. It has been more than valuable to attend Hendrix College as it has not only changed me as a person but has given me more career opportunities than I could ever have expected from a College or University. The help to get me on the right track onto Culinary College and beyond has been outstanding. I doubt I would be so far and so sure about my future steps after Hendrix College had the college itself helped me realize my potential and given me opportunities to fullfill my potential.

Although very open to ideals, Hendrix College is majority liberal students that can be extremly close minded to other political or philisophical beliefs.

Lindsey

This is a pretty intense question to answer here in such a small space. I would have to start off by saying the best thing about Hendrix is the sense of community. We are a small school, yes, but we love that! Well, sometimes you may hate this because you have that one kid that is obnoxious and is in almost everyone of your classes, but for the most part the size of our school is one thing we do not want to change. The Hendrix community is so open, welcoming, friendly, accepting, tolerant, supportive, I mean the list of great adjectives goes on and on! Coming from the North, people are often very confused when I tell them that I go to Hendrix because they are not even sure that Arkansas is a real state--sad, I know. People mostly think that it is weird that I go to school in the South, but once I explain how liberal and New England-esque it is, people can see why I chose to go here. I spend most of my time on campus because let's face it, Conway, Arkansas is not the most bumpin' place. Yet, my friends and I will walk downtown on a nice evening for some yummy food, go to WalMart to get that one thing that you always seem to need, or to get some ingredients at Kroger to make that meal you've been craving all week that the cafe just did not seem to want to serve you. If I could change anything about Hendrix I say that I would move it outside of Arkansas, because sometimes I feel really far from home and get a little homesick. But then I would realize that I would not want to change this because being in Arkansas is one of Hendrix's quirks in my opinion. It makes us stand out even more. Oh! I know what I definitely would change though, and that would be to make Friday night dinners more vegetarian friendly. The school is veg-head friendly every other day of the week, but on Friday when the cafe is not fully open but just serves limited options my only options are meat or starch and that does not jibe well with me.

We're a pretty white dominated school, but coming from the very white NH there is a lot more diversity here than in a lot of other places. We are associated with the Methodist church but you can find someone from every part of the religious spectrum on campus. You can find far-right wingers to far-left wingers and everything in-between. We have a good deal of international students and exchange students on campus. We are very LGBT friendly and have a solid ally community. The Hendrix community is so open and welcoming to all types of diversity, sometimes I wish that we had even more.

My advice to you is to come visit Hendrix College. I could go on and on about how much I love this place and the people that make up this community, but unless you physically experience the campus you are not going to know of the Hendrix vibe and the wondrous effects it can have on you. And if you do come here and don't get those vibes, you will know it is not the place for you. The one word that I could use to describe Hendrix is "Hendrixy." I know, it is not a real word, but you will know what I am talking about if you get to experience yourself. My definition of "Hendrixy" would be as follows: The aura surrounding Hendrix College that makes you jump for joy for sundaes on Thursdays, get into a deep discussion about the meaning of life over cheesy bread, observe a squirrel for ten minutes straight because they are just interesting, almost pee your pants with laughter because your friend just convinced you to go streaking for thirty seconds because you were sick of studying, form the best relationships with fellow students and faculty alike, and is just real. That's what Hendrix truly is: real. We don't fake it. You ask us a question and you will get an honest opinion. We are not afraid to tell it as it is here. We love Hendrix for its boldness and you should too. If not, this isn't the place for you. If it is, you too will get to understand the true meaning of "Hendrixy."

If your stereotype of a Hendrix student is a unique individual that loves to learn and play, then yes it is accurate. If you think that we are all hippies here, you are wrong. If you think that we are all jocks, you are wrong. If you think that every single student is a raging liberal, you are wrong. Like I said before, we've got a whole big mix of people here; there is no one stereotypical Hendrix student. Although, if you are really set on finding someone that fits a stereotype you have in mind, I am sure that you could find at least one person fitting that description.

The academic life was one of the main reasons I came to Hendrix. There are so many academic options, and if you can't find let's say a major that fits you well, you can make your own through Interdisciplinary Studies. I love that I can walk around campus and say hi to every one of my professors and that they will know my name. But cool, so do professors at other schools. What makes Hendrix so special in this area? You professors will have conversations about you about your life, how you are doing, delve into those deep questions you were too afraid to ask in class, watch the youtube videos you send them, and some will even bring you soup when you are sick. The point is, the professors here care. They care about your academics, your progress, and your life in general. We love to learn here, and that drew me to Hendrix because I am an inner nerd that saves her Ancient Philosophy reading to read last because I love it so much that I want to end my night with it. That said, Hendrix is a challenging school. Get ready for difficult readings, long papers, hours of homework and studying, and to be mentally exhausted. But don't freak out about this! There are a multitude of resources on campus to help you achieve. No one wants to see you fail, your professors included.

There are over 70 clubs and organizations on campus. You have an interest in it, you will find a group for it. Students are usually involved in at least one extracurricular activity, if not more--we were those overachievers in high school. There is a little bit of everything for everyone on campus. Social life is alive and well. We work hard and many play hard. We have no Greek life and are proud of it. Most people stay on campus on weekends. We thrive in our Hendrix bubble, but will ever so often venture out to Conway or the "city" of Little Rock about 30 minutes away. You can always find something to do on campus no matter what day of the week it is. The people here are amazing and even if you are just hanging out watching an episode of the Office you are bound to have a great time.

I do not think that there is one specific type of stereotype here at Hendrix. You can find a wide range of students strolling around campus on a regular basis: nerdy, sporty, hipster, hippie, preppy, liberal, conservative, and so on and so forth. I feel as if everyone here at Hendrix is accepted because we all share this "Hendrix vibe" that you really cannot put into words. You've to feel it to believe it.

Braeden

They are kind of pretentious, but over all very nice.

They are kind of pretentious, but over all very nice.

College has been valuable since it has taken me out of the enviroment of poverty and allowed me to experience more of the world. Before college, I had never been out of the state of Arkansas. Since enrollment, I've been all over the south and to some of the north. I'm studying abroad in India at the moment thanks to the school's program. I've also become a much more well rounded person. I've become more articulate. College has been the best experience so far in my life.

Kristen

Life is going to change, and change can be very, very good. Always remember to be true to your convictions. Set your goals high so that even if you miss the mark, you are still making great strides. Think about all the things you will have to do for yourself - like laundry - and learn how to do it. Learn about healthy foods because most of what you run into will be yummy but will add to your tummy. Start an exercise regimen so that you don't get soft. Help your friends because you will need help someday too. Share your thoughts because everyone is not as different as you think. Be open to new ideas, but don't lose your sense of morality. Kindness goes a long way. Call home when you are blue, but don't expect that mom and dad will come to the rescue. Dorm rooms are small. Take less and have more. Learn how to manage your money because when it's gone, it's gone. Discover new ways to buy your books, but always be sure you know what you are getting. Remember that wants are different from needs. College should be about needs.

I wish I had known that the travel abroad opportunities that I had dreamed about were very pricey. I wish I had known that scholarship money was very hard to get. I wish I had realized that the rooms were really that small, and that I really do have lots of stuff. I wish I had known all of the friends I would make, I would not have been so worried. I wish I had known just how much I would love college life!

The thing that I like the least about my school is the cafeteria food. Although there are many entries to choose from, many are loaded with fats and carbs. I have always been a healthy, hearty eater, and even though greasy foods sometimes entice me, they do me no favors. I do have choices there, and I am grateful for that. There is usually a sandwich type alternative or a salad that I can create, but it is just no match for food from home.

Monica

My classmates are incredible; every student at Hendrix is unique, open-minded, intelligent, and a lot of fun.

I found that at Hendrix College, the college acts as a community more than any other school I considered. Hendrix has no Greek life, but they provide a plethora of opportunities to have fun and meet new people. Hendrix forms many core academic groups for each student, and has many events, providing the community of a sorority or fraternity without the high price, exclusiveness, and hazing. At Hendrix I feel like I'm a "sister" to all other students around me, and it is an amazing and unique feeling.

"Study all of the time.", "Go to every party!", "Be in every club available on campus". These are all terrible advice. Although these phrases may sound like seizing the day or being fully devoted to academic excellence, it is impossible to succeed with any of these pieces of advice. If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, all I would tell myself about college is "Balance". Over the first semester of my new college life, I have had to make a lot of adjustments to find how to best live my life. I have found that balance is truly key when it comes to a time as hectic and exciting as college. I have found it is important to balance studying with having fun, spontaneous trips to IHOP at 3am with eating a healthy diet, relaxation with working out at the campus gym, spending time in the city and spending time in nature. Though everyone's combination for a balanced life is different, it is important for each student to find out how to maintain a healthy balance. For me, balancing my life made my first semester an all-around success.

The classmates are usually very self expressive and non mainstream. They usually very open minded and friendly. Students are typically liberal minded, which might be a problem if the potential student is more traditional or conservative. Although an important aspect of social life and academics is the free exchange of ideas and very few students will put pressure on individuals to conform. Students are academically advanced and usually predisposed to discussion. An important and immediately obvious integral part of social life is the unique individual expression of students at Hendrix.

The first bit of advice that I would give myself is to start saving up money, because everything at college is expensive. Buying supplies needed for the dorms and even quarters for laundry means that with all expenses any money disapears fast. It's imporant to start saving early and to continue to save while in college. Next, I would tell myself to start a healthy sleep habits. It makes paying attention in class a lot easier if you have plenty of sleep. I spent the semester exhausted all the time because I would put my homework off until late and I didn't get enough sleep. My grades suffered at first but I managed to pull off good grades when I changed my habits. It is also important to learn how to manage my time early. Especially when it comes to doing homework earlier and balancing free time with work time. The last bit of advice is to have a way to contact home. The first couple weeks are very busy and stressful and many people get home sick. Adjusting to a new life style is hard, especially away from home and having a familar voice makes it easier.

The academics at Hendrix are higher than at other colleges, especially public schools. If you aren't willing to spend extra time on studying and writing essays, than a less academically challenging college might be a better idea. This is true especially if you have trouble taking tests. There are many forms of help with academics at Hendrix, including free tutoring and the professors are very helpful, but it is very demanding and takes a lot of time each week.

When I first started attending Hendrix, the student body barely contained 1,000 students. At times, it almost seemed TOO small. There would be whole empty rooms in a row in some of the dorms. I think the size that Hendrix is now (around 1,400) is perfect, because it's not too crowded in the residence halls/apartments, but the size affords a lot more on-campus opportunities (the new Student Life and Technology Center, the WAC, the Village, etc.) than there were when I first started attending Hendrix. Conway has grown so much from 2004, my freshman year. You can find pretty much anything you need in the Conway city limits. If you want to eat organic food, there are local grocery stores within walking distance of campus. If you're looking for big box stores, Conway is home to 2 Wal Marts, Target, Best Buy, etc. Within 25 minutes, you can get to an airport, a mall, and at least two parks with beautiful hiking trails and waterfalls. That's some pretty amazing accessibility.

Hendrix truly educates "the whole person." If you'll make the effort to allow Hendrix into your life, Hendrix will allow you to change and grow in ways you never dreamed possible. There is religious, political, racial, and sexual diversity and this diversity can only contribute to the importance of the discussions you have with your professors, your friends, and the distinction of the standards unto which you hold yourself. These all contribute to educating a "whole person." There is an accountability that comes with becoming a "whole person" at Hendrix. As a student, you have to stimulate yourself in all aspects of your life at Hendrix. It is this challenging that prepares you for your four years at Hendrix and your life beyond. If you don't, essentially you are wasting your time and the efforts of your professors and mentors. While the dress at Hendrix is casual, the relationships you develop are not. Some of the people with whom I have kept in the best touch after my graduation are staff members: administration, coaches, admissions counselors. These people are so important, because they were once college students too. In fact, many of them are Hendrix alums. This network, one that you will comprise after you graduate, is one of the most important connections you will have in life... and it is one you forge on the first day of orientation.

Going to Hendrix was the best decision I have made in my life. It changed me as a woman, a scholar, a friend, a sister, a daughter, and a human being. The friendships I forged and the lessons I learned will accompany me through the rest of my life. As I finish my master's degree at a much larger institution, I find myself exceedingly grateful that I am surrounded by Hendrix alums at my school and in my city. I can never thank my professors and mentors enough for making me the woman I am today: I am confident, compassionate, cared for, courageous, and ready to take on the world and show what you can do when you're equipped with a Hendrix degree.

Honestly, no. Because Hendrix is different, it is met with trepidation by those who do not understand the amazing atmosphere in which the students grow and thrive. It is this atmosphere that provides the foundation of Hendrix's open, compassionate, and supportive environment. These notions carry through from conversations in the cafeteria, book discussions in Bailey Library, and discourse in D.W. Reynolds.

All I can say is that Hendrix afforded me such an incredible education that I was able to get into all eight of the graduate schools to which I applied (AND received merit-based financial aid), including three Ivy League institutions. I loved that I could count on my professors whenever I needed anything, whether it was a grad school recommendation, help reviewing for a test, or taking a test early because I had to travel for volleyball. It's pretty common to walk past the Pecan Grove and see students at the tables talking about a plethora of topics: what happened over the weekend, the big test they just finished, or continuing a discussion from an earlier class. Many classes, when the time is appropriate, will venture outside to the Outdoor Classroom. You can sit in the Pecan Court (yes, different than the Pecan Grove, but they are bookends of the Brick Pit) and have class outside, truly taking in the beautiful trees and buildings Hendrix houses.

Hendrix has a great way of molding the entire student body. There is no separation between student groups on campus. Being a part of Campus Kitty committee my senior year (an organization that raises thousands of dollars every year for local charities) made me realize the generosity of Hendrix student groups and the students that comprise their membership. Further, I think Hendrix is not hindered by not being involved in Greek life. I am currently attending a southern university for my master's where undergraduate involvement in Greek life is over 50%. If you are not in a sorority or fraternity, you have no real way of making friends because classes can have upwards of 500+ students. I think that prospect is terrifying! I am so grateful for the friends I made through volleyball, student activities, and my classes because they were always there for me. I did not have to go through initiation to meet them and did not have to compete against them for a spot in some exclusive sisterhood.

From hosting students and leading families on campus walks during the four years I attended Hendrix, I heard a lot of "isn't Hendrix a hippie school? or "isn't Hendrix super liberal?" There are many misconceptions about Hendrix because it is a private, LIBERAL arts college living among other institutions of higher learning with thousands of students and no visible diversity. Because Hendrix's size is smaller than surrounding universities/colleges, our differences are simply more noticeable.

Gina

The best thing about Hendrix is the sense of community. I love that I go back to school after breaks and feel as though I'm going home. The only thing I'd change about Hendrix is its location. The Hendrix campus is beautiful, but the surrounding town (Conway) has few activities for college students. If I could transport Hendrix to New York City that would be perfect. When I tell people I go to Hendrix they usually look confused - this is not where you want to go if you're looking for a school with a lot of name recognition. This is changing though, as Hendrix is increasingly on the national radar as an up-and-coming liberal arts school.

Hendrix is a pretty small school, with 1200 or 1300 students. The student body is mostly white, though of course other races are represented. There are a fairly large number of international students as well. Hendrix students are generally laid-back and hard-working. There are a million clubs and student organizations, so almost everyone is involved in a club or an extracurricular. I have never seen evidence of discrimination against people of a different race, sexuality, religion, etc.; in fact, Hendrix students are likely to be really interested in learning about lifestyles different than their own. Hendrix students are more liberal than conservative. About 50% of the student body is from out of state and 50% are in-state.

Hendrix is a great school in a small Southern town with an intelligent and diverse student body. It is not that well known outside of Arkansas at present, but its reputation for producing interesting, hard-working students is making its name more recognizable by the day. Don't be scared by the price tag - Hendrix gives some sort of aid or scholarship to virtually everyone who attends.

No stereotype would ever be able to accurately describe all or even a large part of the Hendrix student body. There are rich kids, hippies, liberals, etc. but certainly not everyone would describe themselves as any one of those things. Hendrix is a small college but it represents a diverse community in all senses of the word. The most defining thing about Hendrix for me is the incredible sense of community every student feels. Whether one is from North Carolina or Rwanda, whether one is liberal or conservative, or whether one loves country music or classical music, one will feel part of the Hendrix family. No one is left out and no one is looked down upon or ostracized for being different from others - in fact I would say that being unique is something that Hendrix students applaud.

Academic life is really important to almost all Hendrix students. Few people rely solely on their intelligence to skate by in classes, and instead work diligently to do well and truly understand the material. Class participation is very important to most professors, and you will not be able to skip classes unnoticed. Amount of homework really depends on the classes one is taking - it can be anywhere from 2-5 hours a night if one doesn't procrastinate. Students frequently talk about class topics outside of class, both with their peers and with their professors. Professors are totally open to helping students and are very easy to get in touch with.

Hendrix has a ton of activities (partly because Conway has so little to offer). There are always plays, foreign films, guest lecturers, etc. - in fact there is more to do than anyone would have time for. Most freshman and sophomores live in dorms, which is like a little family inside the big Hendrix family. I have never locked my door and it's never been a problem. Most upperclassmen live in apartments which are within walking distance of campus. People at Hendrix almost always party at Hendrix on weekends - drinking is a big part of Hendrix social life but it is certainly not mandatory and no one will pressure you into doing it. If you don't drink, there are lots of alternate social events. Very few people go home frequently, even if they live in nearby towns. There is no Greek system; all Hendrix students party and socialize together.

Rich kids, hippies, liberals, partiers, hardworking students.

Dear Nicole, No one will care about what you did in high school. Pulling all-nighters is not scary when done with friends. You will make friends. Learn to use a paper format other than MLA. Drink before the party. Once you figure out what you want to do, do not stop. Study abroad. Smile at strangers when you get here, and always hold the door. Do not cut in the lunch line. Attend hall meetings. Take advantage of alone time. The couches in the library are not comfortable. Make flashcards for finals. If the textbook has an online resource page for students, questions from it will be on the test. Attend class. Yes, every class. You will get in a fight with your roommate. You will both get over it. Sweatpants are ok. So are t-shirts. Cattiness is not ok. Neither is intolerance. Bring every costume you own. You will use these. Be completely honest with your academic advisor. It's ok to drop a class if you have to. It's not ok to ignore what you love. Your parents miss you already. Find every scholarship in existence. Most importantly, Nicole, bring rain boots. Carry on.

The beest thing about Hendrix College is that it is not UCA, not CBC, and not high school. This is a think tank where intellect and parties are rampant.

Anyone who would rather contemplate life and go on adventures rather than contemplate make up and go tanning should attend.

Hendrix College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.