Conway, AR
Hendrix College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hendrix College

Thomas

First of all, I have found Hendrix to be unlike any other place I have ever experienced. Students at Hendrix enjoy a welcoming atmosphere of friendliness and tolerance from the moment they arrive on campus. I have felt truly lucky to benefit from the genuine commitment to both personal and academic growth that exists here.

Hendrix students go beyond the tolerance that comes from the liberal nature of college campuses to a genuine celebration and appreciation of diversity. No one pushes anything on you, whether it be politics, lifestyle, religion etc... What exists is a place where you can be exposed to myriad new experiences and be completely free to choose what suits you. Politically, Hendrix students run the gamut from conservatives to socialists, with a liberal orientation making up the majority. Students volunteer in both Republican and Democratic campaigns, and what emerges is a friendly rivalry based on intelligent discourse. Religiously, Students range from devout adherents to a religion to atheists. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all present on campus, along with many other less known sects such as the Bahai faith. Nondenominational services are held frequently, Catholic communion is offered weekly, and many other services occur periodically. Hendrix students come from many different economic backgrounds, from impoverished to privileged. The generous financial aid programs ensure this diversity. Traditionally, a large part of the Hendrix body came from within Arkansas, but as Hendrix's reputation continues to improve, that trend is shifting. Currently, there are students from all over the country. Additionally, Hendrix's participation in exchange programs has brought in students from all over the world. Hendrix's multicultural programs ensure both domestic and international students interact and exchange ideas. Hendrix is predominantly white, although a vibrant culture of black students organizes programming celebrating their culture. Also, Hendrix's admissions department is firmly dedicated to exhibiting the most possible diversity within the student body, so diversity increases every year. Socially, Hendrix students tend to be Liberal. The only thing that is not tolerated at Hendrix is intolerance. Anyone who harbors prejudice, whether it be on the basis of sexuality, race, religion, or some other criteria, would not be welcomed or excel at Hendrix.

Hendrix is a great place. Conway, the town in which Hendrix is located, is not exactly a metropolis. It does however, have a Wal Mart, a good selection of reasonably priced restaurants, some nicer restaurants with bars, a hospital and a good selection of other services within walking distance of campus. What else does a college student need? Downtown is nice, and the crime found in larger cites is not a concern in Conway. The slower pace of life in Conway lends itself to a better experience within what has been coined "The Hendrix Bubble." If you want a night out in a big city, or need a service not offered in Conway, Little Rock is just 30 minutes away. Memphis is 3 hours, and Dallas is within a days drive.

To the degree that activism and left leaning politics are prominent on college campuses nationwide, Hendrix students exhibit these qualities. Hendrix has a reputation within Arkansas as being an academically difficult school, and Hendrix students are thus assumed to be intelligent... I have found this to be true. As academically gifted and dedicated as Hendrix students are, we also know how to have a good time. Students from surrounding, often much larger state schools attend great parties hosted by Hendrix. This being said, parties here are not made great by alcohol, but rather by the fantastic atmosphere and energy fostered by the student body.

Hendrix academics, as I mentioned in the stereotypes section, have a reputation of being quite difficult. This is true in part. My experience has been that classes at Hendrix are designed to challenge you. Professors assign lots of work, but every assignment is designed to improve your grasp of the material being taught. Professors are completely available to students, a phenomena that I think stems from Hendrix being a small college. Professors frequently give students their cell phone numbers, and many encourage calls even in the absence of an emergency. Small class sizes allow professors to meet with students for coffee or hold review sessions at their homes. Professors go out of their way to prepare students for life after college, with support systems in place for grad school application, MCAT and LSAT prep, undergraduate research, job placement and much more.

Social life at Hendrix straddles between the desire to have a good time and the commitment to academics required to excel here. Most importantly, students tend to study, relax, and party together. There exists a vibrant array of student clubs and organizations that give students plenty to do. Hendrix clubs range from those based on sports, academics, politics, cultural diversity, charity, common interests, and many other subjects. There is something for everyone. If you don't find a club you are interested in, it is quite easy to acquire funding to start your own. These clubs sponsor performers, speakers, service events, programs, and parties. There is always something to do. When you don't have downtime, and need to focus on academics, the library is a great place to go. Study groups are as common as individuals, and there are facilities for both. Support from fellow students make the rigorous academics at Hendrix much more pleasant. If you need to study, and you will from tme to time, you won't be distracted, and you'll have company if you want it. This being said, one can find a group of students partying nearly any night of the week. Hendrix's location in a dry county a half hour from the nearest metropolis (Little Rock) has made parties at Hendrix unique from those college bashes depicted in popular culture. This paired with the fact that there is no Greek system at Hendrix contribute to the distinctive qualities of Hendrix parties. Generally, parties are held within dorms, apartments or houses near campus. Parties tend to be very open and welcoming, allowing anyone to take part. Many parties tend to be small by college standards, but the atmosphere is every bit as festive as that in larger college parties elsewhere. Large campus wide parties are held several times a semester. Ghost Roast, Soco 54, Toga, and quite a few other large parties draw students from all over Arkansas to Hendrix. Martin Hall, one of the male dorms, tends to be the epicenter of parties on campus, although many great parties are held elsewhere. The Hendrix administration has a reasonable policy on Alcohol, which maintains that students are allowed to carry opaque cups free from scrutiny, but not open containers. This being said, in the interest of safety and community, anyone who does something stupid or illegal in view of a college official, is likely to be reasonably punished.

Activists, Party Animals, Liberal, Intelligent

Trey

The unique thing about Hendrix is their Odyssey program. Each student usually receives some type of scholarship from this program. Basically, this program invites students to come up with three projects that cultivate new learning experiences through different forms of learning than just the normal class room setting. Every part of the project is up to the student as long as it fulfills the requirements and all three projects can take place anytime during their four years at Hendrix.

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to stress out so much about grades in college because it is a hard transition that everyone goes through. I would make sure to tell myself to keep up with the homework and study everyday otherwise you will struggle in the end. However, I would also tell myself to go and have fun an meet as many people as you can. By knowing what I know now, I would have not taken for granted how easy life was my high school senior year and enjoyed every aspect of it.

The kind of person that should attend this school must have self discipline, a strong acadimic background, a great personality, and open mind to all the diversity. This person should have great work eithic but can still find time to have fun. Anyone looking for a great, small liberal arts school with an immaculate campus needs to attend school here.

Victoria

I would tell myself to not let college pass by too quickly. It used to be the case that I would laugh it off and say "yeah right" when people told me that college would be the best four years of my life. Now I see that this is the truth! Everything is so amazing, at least at Hendrix College. College is an opportunity to learn as much as you can about anything you've ever wanted to know. College is a time for self-discovery. On a more practical note, I would also tell myself to master time management. It took a while to get used to the heavy workload of a demanding college, but now I make daily to-do lists and schedules. This has allowed me to double-major, maintain a 3.8GPA, and possibly even graduate a semester early. Furthermore, I'd tell myself to get a grip on my finances before it's too late. It is tempting to go out all of the time and spend money during Freshman year, but if you can budget effectively, you will avoid a lot of heartache in the end.

Olivia

Hendrix College is a community. Everyone is involved, and everyone's opinion counts. There are no frats or sororieties, and sports are not the rule. Hendrix prides itself on its unique, mandatory Odyssey progam, which serves as an outlet for students to go beyond their classes to develop three different types of projects which expand on their own interests. The Hendrix motto "Unto the Whole Self" is a truth. Students here are happy because they are given the tools necessary to become competent, contributing members of our larger close-knit community. Everyone knows your name!

Close your eyes and think about the things in life that make you smile and what qualities about yourself you proud of and would like to develop further. These things are important. As a high school senior, you are interested in a lot of different things and it is overwhelming to think you have to choose just one thing to pursue in college. Don?t worry about choosing. Keep your mind and heart open. Your path will be chosen over time as you do the best you can to explore your options. Answers are not nearly as important as the questions themselves. Take care of your mind and body, but step out of your comfort zone sometimes. You will make friends, and some of them will be there for you your entire life. Life is not a personal fable, meaning that no matter what is happening to you someone else has had that happen too. You are never alone, but at the same time you are never the complete focus of everyone else's attention either. Do what you think is right. When something goes wrong, redirect your efforts. Overall, stay true to yourself!

The person should want to be more than just a number. They should look at their college education as an important part of who they are. They should be open-minded and interested in a variety of things. Want to be in choir, chair of the Multicultural Development Committee, active in campus politics, attend a Shabbat service, perform in a theater production, play basketball, and fight malnutrition in Guatemala? You can! It doesn't matter what interests you have, Hendrix is a warm, encouraging community in which to express and pursue them.

Will

Being happy with the way things have turned out for me, I would not make any suggestions. Anything I could think to say that would make the transition a little smoother would probably alter where I am today. This may not be an original thought, but I am happy with my life and where it is right now. However, if it would strictly change the transition and nothing else in my life, I would tell myself to be wary of the relationships that my past self would try to maintain as I make that transtion. I would warn myself that in such a community and close knit atmosphere, it will be difficult to keep those relationships as they were before. I would tell myself that I am entering an entirely new experience and that change is for the better in this situation. I would warn myself that it would be best to begin that change before the semester begins. This may mean little to someone else, but to my past self, I believe it would make quite a bit of sense.

I would say that a really conservative person should not attend this school. Neither should a person that is uncomfortable in a small community based learning atmosphere. This is a residential college, and if a person does not want to be a part of a community or a campus as they recieve their education, this is most likely not the place for them.

The people, the campus life, and the Ultimate frisbee team. I'm a member of the team, which also is the focus of a huge social network that is really an amazing part of hendrix; the social aspect is. It is a great community conducive to study, fun, friends, and being your own person.

Hendrix has a reputation for being a really tough school (at least in Arkansas), "hippie" students, an awesome Wellness and Athletic Center, and a lot of gays and lesbians. Most of fthose are true. Except there are all kinds of people here, not just hippies. And the only reason we have a higher number of gays and lesbians is because we're very open and accepting here. No lie, people really accept you for whoever you are here. It's currently Transgender Week here at Hendrix. : )

It has a different atmosphere than any other college I visited. I felt at home when I came here. And I really liked that Hendrix had such an intense focus on academics. The classes here are not easy by any means. They really challenge you here, and I like that.

If I could go back and give myself advice as a senior in high school, I would definitely tell myself to try every type of class while in high school. Don't be too sure. When I came to Hendrix, I was set on physics. I'd never taken a physics class because well, the teacher at my high school was not a competent teacher. I enjoyed everything physics, though. Now that I'm taking a phyics class, I'm not too sure. It's caused a lot of stress and confusion. I'd also tell myself that I need to learn HOW to study. I never really had to in high school. If I did, it would just be cramming. That is absolutely unacceptable here. My first round of tests were abismal. I realized that I just didn't know how to study. It seems like something you should justnknow, but I really had to train myself. If I'd done that in high school, it would have saved me from a lot of initial bad grades. One more thing I would tell myself would to not be embarassed to hang out with my parents. They buy food.

Heather

I would tell myself to understand that everything is going to be okay. Making the transition is easier than most make it seem like, and that I will ultimately end up where I need to be. I would also tell myself to really enjoy senior year; to not stress about the college applications, because eventually that really doesn't matter. I would also encourage myself to continue to try new things, and that I always want to surrond myself with good people. I would also tell myself that going to a small, southern school is perfectly fine. Especially, if it provides what I am looking for and what I need. It's okay, even better, to not go where everyone is going because you will find yourself when you go outside your comfort zone. High school is amazing, and you will have good memories. But, by no means is it the penultimate experience of life--college is that much better and way more meaningful.

That most of the parties involve alcohol.

Bernice

Of all the schools I had toured, Hendrix has the most diverse student population. The Hendrix community may be small, but it is an immensely tight-knit community. No matter what God we worship, who we vote for, or the color of our skin, we realize that we are all belong to the Hendrix community. Hendrix, besides its strong academic programs, also encourages unconventional learning techniques through programs such as the Odyssey program. Students are encouraged through the Odyssey program to utilize the skills we have learned in the classroom and use it to help others outside of our community.

If I could give my high school self advice, I would tell myself to take my time. The first few weeks coming into college are stressful and seem to function on fast forward. Everyone is intent on making friends, finding a group, or just plain fitting in. It's easy to get pulled into all of that and to forget to simply embrace the moment. More importantly, those first few weeks as a college freshman are there to get your footing, to figure out the kinks in the system. Those first weeks should not serve as a race to alcoholism. Do not feel pulled into the environment where you feel you have to drink yourself to oblivion. Have a good time, but be safe, and be conscious of your decisions. And, of course, figure out what kind of student you want to be. Take the time to make a schedule, learn how to manage your time. There are ways to balance an academic and a social life and being smart about it in the first few weeks is crucial if you do not want to murder your GPA. But most of all, relax and enjoy those exciting firsts in college.

Hendrix is the perfect school for those who want the most out of life. Hendrix has taught me lessons both in and out of the classroom and I am not just a better student for being a Hendrix student, but also a more responsible member of my community. Hendrix pushes its students to strive for the most out of life and thus, produces ambitious, motivated and responsible students. There is the perfect balance of academics and socializing at Hendrix-- we work hard, but we also play hard.

Paula

My classmates are fun-loving, hard workers.

My classmates are fun-loving, hard workers.

To be able to talk to myself as a senior in high school would be extremely helpful. First I would tell myself that I don't have to go to Hendrix if I don't want to, because it feels like I was somewhat forced to attend here but I love it. Secondly I would say, do not play volleyball; your going to quit anyways and you will be rewarded for practicing with the softball team. I would also tell myself that your better than you imagine there is nothing that is too much for you; sometimes things seem as if everything is crashing down, don't worry your world knows how to put itself back together. Finally, I would tell myself that in order to succeed you must strive for success, you can't become complacent with what you have: you have to desire something more. Talking to myself as a high school senior might not do anything because I tend to ignore myself, but who knows it might have done me some good.

I personally believe that anyone who has a good work ethic and is determined can excel and attend Hendrix.

Adam

My classmates are enganged in learning and are willing to help other by forming study groups and answering questions.

If I were to go back in time and inform myself on how to better make the transition from being a high school senior to being a college freshman there would be a few pieces of advice that I would share. First I would tell myself to not get lost in the crowd of trying to make new friends and fitting in. I learned that I new who I was all along and that I should have asserted my own self image more that I did. Also to not be afraid of the change that is going on in life and to try to embrace the changes because they will eventually play into creating a more whole character. Lastly I would tell myself to study, study, study and be confident in all studies and in sports. I think the biggest problem I face was just having self-confidence in my actions, but I eventually caught on and reassured myself. If I were to go back into time these are the principles that I would convey to myself, but mostly I would want to tell myself to just relax and enjoy college by doing what brings happiness.

An open minded person that is willing to put in the time and effort to excell in life.

Hendrix College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.