Conway, AR
Hendrix College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hendrix College

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would remind myself that, while focusing on the future is not a bad thing, it can lead to not completely appreciating the present. I spent most of high school looking forward to college and not taking advantage of all the opportunities I had then. I don't know what specific things I would have done differently if I had been more socially involved in my high school. Also, I should have challenged myself to study beyond what my classes required of me. It has been hard to develop good study habits in college because I was rarely challenged in high school, so I did not have to study very often to make good grades. Having good study habits would have made some of my classes easier last year.

The cost. It's really hard to keep the GPA I need to keep my scholarship (I have lost part of it since last year).

Victoria

I would have taught myself more about money matters. This includes knowing how to budgit, how to balance a check book, how to handle a bank account, and how to take out loans. Also, I would have wanted myself to look more into where my money for college was going and what were the cheaper and best options for me.

Some one with a different look on the world. Some one who wants a liberal education with many opporunities. There are many campus events, both social and intelectual. All kinds of people attend Hendrix and everyone is very welcoming. It is quite the opposite of state schools. It has a unique program called Oddessey. In Oddessey, a person is given to be granted funding to do something they are interested in or that is associated with their major or minor, such as going to a buddhist temple, building houses in Africa or making a documentary.

The awesome atmosphere. People are friendly and there are MANY opportunites to follow your interests.

Jeffrey

Students here are very focused and work hard when they have to then find time to realx and have a good time.

The sense of community found here I really far more coheasive and friendly than the ones I hear about from friends going to other schools.

If given the chance to give some well earned advice my self in a previous mind set I know that I would want to impart two peices of information. First and foremost is always academics and I would tell myself to be proactive in studies compared my past tendencies leaning towards procrastination. Not that I wouldnt be able to acomplish assingments on time but that I will only be learning the minimum. Teachers give out so many comments that could lead to more information if only I would have started looking into it . The other side of college is developing into a new person socially and my second peice of advice applies to this side of life. Its important to experiment and try new things but during this process you have to remember that you can't lose the identity of who you were.

Haiyan

As one of the international students who are studying in America, I would advise myself on two points: make as many friends as you can and enjoy the time you spend in high school. After coming and studying in America, I could not adapt to the new environment very well. I do not want to speak an English letter but a Chinese word. So, I cried crazy to tell what I had encountered to one of my old friends, whom I can rely on. He comforted me a lot and told me to smile. His word works. I do not want to share this feeling with parents because they can only worry about me. It is common for an international student to feel lonely. I always remembered things that happened in the past and most of them happened in my high school. I regret having quarreled with my high school teachers and some of my classmates because I miss them so much.

My college is pretty small so every students can be paid more attention on.

Lara

To be honest, I would tell myself that I am making the right decision by coming here. I would tell my high-school-self to remember that education - and academia as a whole - has never been, and should never be, a means to an end, but the end itself. Participating in myriad clubs and campus events has been an irreplaceable boon to my college life, as those have been the venues through which I have met my friends and teachers, classmates and roommates. These people have made my school my home, a combination I have always craved and envied of boarding school students. I would let my anxious and doubtful high school self know this. I would tell her not to go to the cafeteria with her roommate every day, and to force herself to introduce herself to everyone she meets. I would tell her to have no fear from the very start to speak up in classrooms. I would tell her that the knowledge that she is about to gain will change her life. I would tell her that college would make her education more than an increase of knowledge -- it would make it an experience!

Those who are looking for challenging academia, open-minded and tolerant people, and a place to discuss their opinions. It is a fairly alternative campus - one that has rejected fraternities in favor of unified social interaction. For this reason, most of our parties on campus are huge and include every social stratus. We work hard and party hard, talk a lot, laugh a lot, write a LOT. Hendrix is intellectually stimulating, friendly, and boasts a beautiful campus. There was no other college for me but this one.

Robert

I would begin by explaining how to develop proper study habits, which have proven to be one of the most important aspects of my college career. Adapting to college life is difficult at first, however with adequate preparation one can easily balance social and academic obligations. I would also tell myself to spend more time looking for job oppotunites while in school because that has been a pretty significant problem here. Other than that i think i was well prepared to enter college.

The academic environment and faculty support.

The location of the college is the worst thing about hendrix college..

Joseph

College is not going to save you. It will not rescue you from the torments of socially awkward situations or the horrors of all-night study sessions. And it will not be a simple escape from the real world and the problems that every person faces as they work and learn to achieve a better life. Having said that, college will afford you new opportunities and perspectives on the world of which you are apart. You will be exposed to new people of diverse background and beliefs. Any student entering into college should be prepared to accept that there are more than one or even just two ways of looking at most issues. You will not be able to get by with just an open mind or simple tolerance. A student of the liberal arts must learn to fully accept diverse populations of people as human beings. It is critical that you be willing to rethink and reasssess some of your deepest reservations and taboos. You will not simply step out of your comfort zone. It will be shattered in front of you. It is an experience that is simultaneously terrifying and postively liberating.

Anyone who is serious about their education and is willing to put forth the effort necessary to properly research and understand whichever subject they are studying. It also helps if they're willing to socialize and be friendly to both the faculty and their fellow students.

The knowledge of the professors and their desire to push students to perform to the best of their abilities. The campus is well maintained and is beautiful to wander and explore at any time of the year. The facilities have been carefully planned and are of top quality material and construction, giving the school a pleasing aesthetic. There are also a plentiful number of social opportunities allowing students to meet and enjoy each others' company.

My school is small, challenging, and accepting of others.

My school is small, challenging, and accepting of others.

If I were a high school senior preparing myself to start college I would first tell myself to start developing study skills and time management behaviors. That was this most difficult adjustment I had to make as I started college. In high school I never had to study in order to make the grades I was content making, therefore I had to learn how to study when I first got to college. I would also want myself to know that college was going to be fun. I was very nervous to start school because I was afraid it would be too rigorous or I wouldn't make friends. However, once I arrived at school I realized that it was a great chance for me to blossom into my true self on my own.

The worst thing about my school is the campus when it rains.

Amy

If I could go back a year and tell myself what college would be like, I would definitely tell myself about the study habits that I would need. My high school was not very challenging, and as a result, I never learned how to study. Now that I am in the college setting, I have realized just how critical this skill is. I would tell myself to stop putting assignments off until the last minute and keep a good schedule of what I need to do and when I need to do it. I would remind myself of everything that teachers had told us and explain to myself just how true every word was.

There are not many things wrong with Hendrix College, but I feel that the worst thing would be that sometimes Public Safety is very slow. I had a friend who got locked out of her apartment at night and she was alone. It took 45 minutes for Public Safety to arrive to let her in. Fortunately, the college is working on this problem, but until the changes are evident, it would be best to travel in groups.

The most frustrating thing about Hendrix College is the Physical Plant. If there is a repair needed to be done immediately, it could take them weeks to send someone over to fix the problem. This year, my roommates and I have a faucet that continues to run even after we turn it as far off as possible. We put a work order in to get it repaired. It has been about one month and we still have had no one come and look at it.

Harmony

Intellectual awakenings turn into occupational urges and moral necessities, and these awakenings occur as the mind bends in the classroom, huddled in a library corner, plotting research papers, and reflecting with the shared brains of your friends.

Your mind will expand in ways you never thought possible, if you give it the chance. Doing research papers, homework, and talking with friends will awaken inner callings. With that said, you must let yourself be steered by new joys. Your interests will change naturally, so don't worry about your major. Get a job; you will realize you actually love homework in comparison.

The intellectual burden and workload throws students into depression and feelings of inadequacy. Though students want a light-hearted respite after a week of high stress, the only main events on the weekends are centered around on or off campus parties, which often include beer pong but rarely include Scrabble. Stressed students turn to alcohol to relieve stress, but it seems that many become alcholics by senior year.

Hendrix College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.