Conway, AR
Hendrix College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hendrix College

SUNY IT is a much smaller school compared to the other SUNY schools I had visited.

The most important idea to understand before leaving for college is responsibility. In college you need to be aware of everything, there are no excuses. You must learn to manage your time well. Your time spent in college can be the best years of your life if you make them. I'm not suggesting a lack of a social life, I am stressing the importance of finding a sufficient balance for both. College can be both overwhelming and liberating at times, but as an adolescent it is your responsibility to know how to handle your time and your life accordingly. Your planner should become your best friend, the library a dedicated study partner, and after the papers and homework are done, Friday is yours!

Currently, SUNY IT is undergoing construction making it difficult to get around campus, especially if you are new to the campus.

The diversity on the Hendrix Campus is more unique tha anything I have ever been around. We only have 1400 students. There are more people from out of state than in state. Every religion and faith background is accepted, every sexual orientation. Every one here works hard and is smart. Even athletes are working hard to succeed in school. It takes just a few weeks on campus to get to know people and to recognize faces.

My school is best know as a great up and coming liberal arts school in the United States. The resources they provide for students through the Odyssey Program is overwhelming. We have great study abroad opportunities. The new facilities being built on campus are also top notch. Our new athletic facility has been open for a year now, including the pool and sports fields. A new student life and tehnology center is set to be open in January. The poets, writers, musicians, etc. that they bring in are world class, and such a great opportunity for us.

I choose to leave all of my friends and go to a college two and a half hours away from them and my family. I thought it might be a hard adjust to; however, I didn't know how the transition would affect me. If I were in senior in high school, I would tell myself to take it easy and don't stress too much about college. It's a great experience, something to cherish. The most important thing when arriving on the campus is to seek out the things you want to get involved in. Because you can meet so many people just by joining a club or attending a campus event. And once you find one friend, keep looking for me. Don't settle on just one group of people to hang out out with, seek to hang out with lots of people. While it is easy to pick up the phone and call Mom or a friend from home and talk for an hour, instead use that time to develop a new friendship or get involved. The transition to college was very hard for me, but the more I became involved the more I loved Hendrix.

Albine

College life is not bad and the transition even though hard for me are not a big deal. The question is did I really want to come to college? Is what I am studying want I really want to do in the future. I think I would have given this single advice: Do not go to college because everybody else is going and do not study what you think is popular. Look deep into your heart and follow what you really enjoy.

Advisors. I could not make it without my advisor. They are very understanding and thus very helpful.

I do not like food. I'm an African, the food taste very different, I wish I could have food like from home sometime.

My classmates are quite an eccentric bunch.

My classmates are quite an eccentric bunch.

If I were given the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to just breathe. I would tell myself that some big, unprecedented changes were in store, but that I have the mental and emotional capacity to deal with these changes, as long as I remember to breathe. I would tell myself that I am more than prepared for what's going to come my way. That I have the best friends in the world at this point in my life and that I should cherish them while I still can. Also, I would tell myself to cherish the time with my mom, because she's in her last few months. Ultimately, I feel that I was more than well-equipped to get through everything, as long as I simply take the time to breathe and relax.

Someone with an open mind should attend this school. Also, the norm on campus is to be very politically driven, although it's not by any means a requirement. Hendrix students tend to be artistically expressive, whether through performing or visual arts. All sexes, races, and ethnicities are welcome here!

Claire

Everyone is friendly. You get thrown in the fountain on your birthday. People call you to ask if you have any questions. The admissions counselors keep in contact and when you get accepted they send you your favorite candy and glitter in your acceptance envelope. The general atmosphere is wonderful. Everyone knows each other and they talk to each other. They'll talk to prosbies and even keep in tough with some.

I would tell my high school self, "Do not procrastinate of homework ,especially not essays or projects. All nighters are not fun. In fact they make you hungry and not fully functional the next day. Then they make you very, very tired." I would also tell myself as a senior, "Be bold when you meet the new kids. You never know, they may end up being your best friends. Some of your really good friends you won't even meet until second semester because you met them through other friends. Don't be afraid to talk to upperclassmen. They're nice, in fact, they like most of the younger classes. Most importantly though, I would tell high school me, "Don't forget those rainboots. You'll need those down south." And lastly I would tell myself, "Do not mess with the professors who say they won't tolerate lateness, because they won't. Listen to your professors and your advisor. They tend to like you. They may have new ideas for you that you hadn't considered before, about your future, about study abroad, about majors and minors, even TV and radio shows. They are nice people. Talk to them."

That you need a car if you want to go to church. They tend to be close to University of Central Arkansas' campus. About all the parties you can dress up for. (Ghost Roast, Jungle Boogie, SoCo 54, campus kitty week, etc.)

Paige

The Odyssey program at Hendrix is very unique. Odyssey gives students the opportunity to explore things they are intersted and if funding is an issue, the school can fund you to do this project. I can not think of another college or university that gives students this opportunity at an undergraduate level. The other schools I looked at did not have a program like this, and Odyssey really stood out to me when I was considering Hendrix.

The best advice I can give to students and parents is to pick a school that feels right. You will never really know about a school until you start going there. College is what you make it. In reality, most schools are very similar but it is what you make of the expirence that really makes the college.

Students really need to spend the night at the college they are most interested in. By doing this, they get a real feel for the campus without their parents around. They will know then if they are able to fit in. Sure it is important to look at the academics, as a pre-med/biology major I know this and understand this. But in order to suceed, you must fit in and love your school also. By spending the night, you will get to really see campus life. Also, if you are an athlete, look as the teammates that you are going to be playing with. They become your family whether you love them or not because of all the time you will spend with them. So try to get to know your teammates as best you can before you sign up!

Tiffany

To parents: Do not be to pushy about what you want in your childrens' school lives. It is their life and if they mess up they need to learn the consequences. If you stress want YOU want the child will be unhappy with their school life and will probably grow up unable to make their own decisions. To students: You do not need to have a definite passion in life when you first come to school. Let it grow and develop. Pick a school that seems to fit you for who you are.

The worst thing about my school is that the school often times seems to not listen to the students and makes decisions that often cause arguements throughout the school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the pressure to be a social person. Basically, if you do not make friends in your Freshman year you are unlikely to have a big if any social circle to call your own. You end up out of the loop often because of it.

Sabrina

They are all hard-working, ambitious students. There's never been a question as to whether or not a certain person should be there because of their academics; they're all intelligent and well-rounded.

The key to finding the right college is simple: be sure that you know what you want. Are you looking for a small school, a school with great diversity, a school with reknowned academics, a school with a good sports program, etc.? Only you can know what you're looking for in a school, and the best way to start narrowing down your choices is to go to different colleges' websites, or use a college search engine such as FastWeb or something of that nature to compare schools. These sites usually have criteria that you can check off in order to find the college you're looking for. And, if there are mulitple choices, try visiting those colleges. You can learn a lot by being on campus itself, interacting with students and faculty and being able to ask them questions. Many schools allow for interested students to sit in on classes and events, so take advantage of that opportunity if it's offered. Knowing the environment of the school can definitely tell you whether or not you will be happy there, which will indicate your level of success at the college. Don't sweat it, and have fun!

It seems that, for the 2009-2010 school year especially, the college appeared to be accepting more people than it had room for. A lot of students I know do not have housing for the upcoming year as of right now, and there is the question as to where they will be living. I fear that the lack of enough housing will cause students to have to look for apartments, which will further add to the expense of attending college.

Kendra

My school is best known for its cultivating environment, great professors, and academic prestige.

The best advice I can give to prospective students about finding the right college for them is to visit the colleges/universities that are of interest before making the final decision of attending one particular school. Going to experience a day -in -the- life of the typical student and observing first hand the student life of the campus speaks volumes from what any manual, brochure, reputation, or recruitment advisor can tell you. The next tidbit of advice I would give to students about making the most of the college experience is to GET ENVOLVED! This may sound cliche, but making connections with professors and networking with fellow classmates is a great chance to expose yourself to new and promising opportunities in the future. Also, have fun! College is about learning new lessons both inside and outside the classroom. Definitely do not inclose yourself inside of a bubble during this pivotal, yet exciting time in your life because the four years will pass by before you know it.

The type of person that should not attend this school is one who is not motivated to perform well in all aspects of academia or one who does not have a persistent work ethic.

Hendrix College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.