Conway, AR
Hendrix College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hendrix College

Savannah

Hendrix College creates an environment of learning and free thinking. As part of the college experience every student must perform research projects that can be on any subject the student desires, the only requirement is that the student put their heart into the project. The professors and staff encourage sutdents to succeed in the best individual way for each student. The campus is beautiful, located in a small town, and very safe. Hendrix puts a great deal of emphasis on their athletic programs, because they are proud of the programs rather than from a extremely competitive perspective.

Many of my friends chose colleges based on location, or solely on their desired major when they really didn't know what they truly wanted. I have seen too many friends drop out of college because they were unhappy or too far from home. I would encourage parents and students to talk at length about what the student wants overall (put the major aside), visit the school more than once, and if playing a sport spend time with the coach. A school will let you know right away if it cares about you or if you're another number. Your school should welcome you and make you feel at home immediately. Just as with any other life change, if it doesn't feel right - it's not. Parents should also coach their students while in high school about the pitfalls of college; drinking, missing classes, abusing the privilege of freedom. Preparing a child for independence early can make the college adjustment so much easier.

I can't really come up with something that is frustrating about the school. It welcomes students from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds and works hard to blend everyone together. One area might be the study abroad program. There is not enough communication about deadlines and requirements, assistance to keep students on track to spend a semester abroad. I'd like to see more follow up in this area.

I would encourage students to research schools that they are interested in, and not to let the parents do the research. A student's college experience can be life changing, and it is important for the student to be comfortable at the chosen campus. Also, I would warn students and parents not to let the cost of education deter the student from going to a number one choice school; eventhough my parents will be paying off both my and my brother's college education for quite some time, I would not trade what I learned and how much I grew as a person for a cheaper education. I would not be the confident, knowledgeable, "go-getter" that I am today without my college experience. To students, try sports teams, inturmural or varsity, so you will have the opportunity to meet many amazing people who share the same intersts as you. And don't stay closed up in your dorm room - there's a whole world to experience and the college year's are the perfect time to do it!

The accepting and welcoming attitudes of the professors and staff. It made for a comfortable learning environment.

How I was able to successfully manage 4 years on the swim team, maintain a competitive GPA, actively participte in social clubs, and maintain amazing relationships with my friends.

Quantesa

Hardworking and driven.

Hardworking and driven.

When selecting a college to attend students should first determine what they are looking for in a college. Be sure to talk with current students and tour the college. You will be spending four years in this place, it should be an enviroment that you will enjoy.

Wonderful falculty and learning enviorment.

My school is wonderful. It is a dream come true, and I enjoy every day that I'm there.

Visit your college choices!! I wouldn't have choosen my school without a school visit, and I absolutely love where I am! I don't want to be anywhere else.

There isn't really anything bad about my school. I absolutely love it! The only problem is that sometimes it is hard to get you first choice in housing as an underclassman, but it's like that everywhere. All the housing is good, and Hendrix is willing to work to get you where you need to be.

Gregory

travel before you go to college to get to know the differences in regional cultures and even more importantly visit the schools your interested in before applying. If you're looking at schools by a certain degree program act cautiously by also looking at their other programs your sort of interested in as you will likely change your mind about what to study.

close-minded, academically unmotivated, antisocial

Brett

A small liberal arts school with a huge sense of unity and self awareness that is extremely smart and challenging.

At this day in age, you can always start over; however, the right college is eventually up to the student. He/She will just have that feeling like this is the one, and should be so excited that they don't want to finish high school, they want to jump straight into their new college. Financial Aid is so prominent, that you shouldn't let it hold you back from where you want to go. If you truly fit at the college, you will always be able to work out how you will get there.

Students have a great support system, and it is okay to get stressed, as long as you take care of it. Do what you want. This is your education, and unless you embrace what you want to do in life you won't find happiness, and there are support structures to help you do this too. The college really wants you to succeed. It isn't a battle against the school. You should work with the school.

Hendrix is a small liberal arts college in Conway, AR. Hendrix is dedicated to educating its students in all aspects of life, not just in academics. Our moto is "Unto the Whole Person." No other statement could describe the atmospher at Hendrix more accurately. Students here strive for success in every area of their life and it shows.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a more cohesive, active, motivated student body on any other college campus (and trust me, I have visited quite a few!) At Hendrix, we are a community. Even if you do not know each student's name, we are all familiar with everyone. This is important for both social reasons along with safety reasons. Hendrix students support each other, no matter what. We have a voice on campus, although it may not be as strong as we would like it to be at times (the administration doesn't always take our opinions seriously) but the fact that we have a voice that is somewhat influential says a lot in comparison to other schools. Hendrix does not have a Greek system, so there are no boundaries between social groups. When Hendrix parties, everyone is there! We have fun, but we keep it safe because we care about each other and don't want bad things to happen at our school. We are just full of love and we truly do accept everyone! Basically what I am trying to say is that the Hendrix student body rocks my world!

In conclusion, Hendrix is awesome! Enough said.

Yes! Hendrix is an academically driven school that attracts tolerant individuals who have a passion for learning in more than one area of interest, and individuals who search for answers beyond the classroom.

I'm not going to lie, Hendrix is a tough school. Freshmen year may seem like a breeze to some depending on the classes you take, but once you move on up into higher level courses that are specific to your major, life becomes increasingly difficult. I am proud to say, however, that Hendrix employs some of the best, most dedicated faculty in the country. These professors are personable, helpful, and every single one of them will go out of their way to make sure you understand the material they are trying to teach you. For example, I took organic chemistry last year as a requirement for my Biochemistry/Molecular Biology major. Dr. Tom Goodwin, my professor, schedule hour long help sessions for 4 out of 5 days during the week for students to come and ask him specific questions. In addition to these help sessions, there were tutor sessions every night and if you needed one-on-one help, Dr. Goodwin would always make time during the day to meet with you and explain whatever you did not understand. This is just one example. I have a similar example for pratically every class I have taken while at Hendrix. The faculty at this school is the main reason why I am here and I will be the first to admit that I am receiving the highest quality of education that I could possibly imagine.

So I know what you are thinking...Conway AR? What is there to do in Conway AR? Honestly? The answer is not a whole lot. But the good thing is that Hendrix recognizes this and therefore puts an enormous amount of effort into bringing the activites and social life to campus. For example, we have new musicians every Wednesday night; lectures, discussion groups, and presentations literally every day of the week. Each weekend is packed full of options for Friday and Saturday night activities. Volunteering is a big deal on campus as well and there are constant updates on opportunities to help out around the Conway community. Our Social Committee is the key player that takes charge of our major social events such as our big Halloween party "Ghost Roast" and the best 70s dance party known to mankind, "SoCo54"! If you are into the environment (which everyone at Hendrix is so prepare yourself!) the ECC (environmental concerns committee) is huge on campus! As for the dating scene, don't get your hopes up. We are a small liberal arts college so options aren't tremendous, but there are some pretty cool cats around if you keep your eyes open. Otherwise, you better off searching for your soulmate at off campus! Other than dating, social life on campus is crazy active so be prepared and don't get overloaded

We are a very liberal community that attracts people with open minds.

Amy

They are eclectic bunch on the liberal side, but open to non-hateful ideas.

They are eclectic bunch on the liberal side, but open to non-hateful ideas.

Let your kids live on campus; it makes all the differnce in the world. Make sure they go abroad there are somethings only bought with experience. The world is a big place. Go visit the campuses if you can, its the best way to tell. Go with you gut feeling.

The Library is not open 24 hours a day. The also increased enrollment before they completed enough living space, should be solved by 2009.

Margaret

In my experience, the best way of finding the school that fits for you takes some time. I would recommend looking at the Princeton Review and US News and World Report to compare different school and become aware of many that you may not have known of before hand. Visiting campus in order to get a feel for the atmosphere of the college and the people on campus is very important. Often times you may feel confident about the academics, the size, location, cost, etc. and yet, when you visit you develop an entirely new sense of what the school is able to offer you. This chance to add a new dimension to your search and really get a feel for the people that you will be living and learning with for the next 4 years of your life is very important in making a decision. I would also suggest making an appointment to speak to some of the professors in your area of interest as well as admissions/financial councelors at the institution to become aware of different opportunities you may be able to take advantage of. Good luck with your search!

The best thing about Hendrix is the sense of community. It's a small school, so you get to know most people on campus, but it's large enough to continue meeting new people. Everyone is friendly and accepting of everyone around them. I had a wonderful experience at Hendrix that I would never trade.

Extremely conservative people will be accepted, but will also be among the minority at Hendrix.

chelsey

Most students at Hendrix are very determined and studious but allow themselves time to interact with friends and further develop the campus community.

The most important advice for any incoming student is to ask questions. Asking questions about classrooms, professors, social life, career opportunities, and extra-curricular activities is very important. Finding an upperclassman that is involved on campus and interested in the same major is an excellent way to become informed. Watching for important emails and keeping tabs on current events around campus is also a good way to stay involved and avoid missing any opportunities through the college. Get involved and ask questions!

The best thing about Hendrix, and the component that sets it apart from other schools, is the relatively small size of the classroom.

Hendrix College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.