High Point University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for High Point University

Jackson

This has proven to be the most apathetic and lazy student body I've met. The school has yet to develop any real "college culture" due to its young age and as such, caters to the lowest dregs of student. Drinking and drug use occurs on dorms every night of the week, roughly 80-90% of the student body is drunk on weekends, and the other 10% just keep to themselves to avoid the drunks. This culture is pervasive in EVERYTHING, I've been on two different sports clubs, a choir, one acting club, two political clubs, one music club, and a languages club. Every last one of them routinely ended up cancelling events, skipping practices, or flat-out disbanding(language club) because their leaders and members were routinely drunk or hungover. The club sports are hit the worst by this, if you're a somewhat competitive athlete, steer clear of them, people with beer guts make the workout regimens and it shows. You can work as hard as you want, but that won't stop the other 30 out-of-shape drunks from sinking your teams chances of winning against other schools. The administration however, is where things really get ugly. Quite simply put, if you give them more money, they'll be nice to you, if not they won't help you at all and actively try to blame you. It's a poorly-kept secret on campus that the administration has covered up multiple cases of sexual harassment committed by the rich kids in Greek Life. In one particularly extreme case from 2012, a student in a fraternity that the School President's son was part of was, was killed via hazing. The school attempted to cover this up. In day-to-day experiences, such as roommate troubles, IT problems, dorm repairs, and so on, the administration is just incompetent. IT services took 2 weeks to get back to me on fixing my meal pass so that I could get food(until then I had to beg for it from the cafeteria people). Security is poorly-trained and doesn't know the law, to the point where they'll ignore your texts/calls. The administration will blame you if you bring up a problem with their system. For example, when I called them to explain that the air conditioner in my dorm was broken, they tried to charge me for it first, then when I proved that I hadn't broken it, it took them 10 weeks to come and fix it. If you're a rich kid in business school, come to this school, they'll treat you like a king and even bend the law for you. If you have any ambition though, get away from this school, they'll make things harder and treat you like dirt.

Elijah

I think that High Point University is a really awesome place where people are taught not only the necessary things to know for their majors, but they are also taught skills that will help them to be better candidates in the job market. High Point University also has an amazing campus, and you know that they care a lot about their students.

Josiah

Nice Camus

Keilah

High Point's Campus is absolutely beautiful! All of the faculty and staff are kind and helpful. The only bad thing about this school is how limited off campus life is, there aren't many malls, clubs, or places to chill off campus, but on campus there is a million and one things to do! Everything from the food to the rooms is great! I love my school.

Cori

High Point University is a gorgeous campus with many caring professors and faculty. There are multiple food options at any time of day and we even have food locations open past midnight. There are many different types of housing to choose from but the more inexpensive options are limited. This school is run like a business and while the professors care about you, the higher-ups do not.

Victoria

High Point University is a school that isn't only interested in money. They care and support their students. We grow and learn from everything and everyone around us and it's an eye opening experience. The faculty on campus really care, they make time for students and overall I think HPU is one of the best learning experiences that anyone can have.

briana

My time at High Point University was nothing short of amazing. The faculty and staff create such a nurturing environment for student success. Sometimes the cafe food is a little funky and finding studying spaces are difficult, but overall HPU is "extraordinary"!

Tori

High Point University is built for the future. There are so many resources on campus that you have to try really hard to not succeed here. The goal is to be extraordinary and they give the tools and resources to do it. I have had nothing but good experiences with faculty, staff and other students. Academics are fantastic, food is great and it's an amazing campus to be on.

Hunter

It is difficult to walk onto the campus of High Point University and not become enamored by the place. The campus offers countless amenities, a steak house, multiple swimming pools, as well as incredible up to date dorms. After seeing all of this it would be unfair to say my decision was not made on the amazing facilities and amenities made available to students. Fortunately, at High Point University the strong foundation of support academically is extremely prevalent throughout campus. With the support of success coaches who assist freshman students in transitioning to college and professors who are willing and able to reply to emails and questions at midnight, it is truly a great place to create and achieve goals as well as seek new opportunities for success.

Jamie

I attended HPU for a year. It was the worst year of my life. High Point is fantastic if you're blonde, beautiful, rich, and/or in a sorority, but as a disabled student who stood out like a sore thumb, it was probably the last place I needed t be. I was bullied and ostracized by other girls, and after being the only girl to not receive a bid of a rush class of 150, I gave up and transferred to a state school. I'm not saying it will be like this for everyone, but be warned. The amount of hypocrisy displayed at High Point is incredible, and they really need to practice what they preach.

Chase

The on campus housing is wonderful and most of the buildings are new or renovated. The college takes education seriously and prioritizes it before extra curricular activities. The Students are polite and friendly and classroom sizes are small so you get a lot of help from professors.

Erica

High Point is a school for driven students. Everyone is passionate about their studies and excited about what the future may hold for them. I love being a student here because not only is our campus beautiful but everyday there is something new and exciting happening.

loren

High Point University is my dream school and I am sure it will be yours. When you step on that campus you know it is THE campus. Take a deep breathe and smell innovation of the next generation. You can hear the buzz of possibility. Feel the warmth of the caring people around you. High Point University is THE university.

Kaitlyn

The faculty and students here are all very friendly! The classes are engaging and the campus facilities really make the college experience great! The professors are wonderful mentors and have helped me come out of my shell as well as encouraged me to pursue my dreams and set ambitious goals for myself.

High Point University is the perfect school for a very particular kind of person. Most students are white, very wealthy and privileged. I have met plenty of nice people on campus but personally I do not find that I share the same mindset of the majority of students here. I also find that once the marvel of the beautiful campus wears off, whats left isn't worth the tuition, in terms of education at least.

Maggie

Love at first sight and it has yet to disappoint me. The students are friendly and social. The professors are very approachable. The facilities on campus are spectacular and continue to amaze me. The opportunities on campus help prepare you for the real world and opportunities to have fun during college.

Alyssa

HPU is an incredible school. There is a great community of people that care about me and my success. The opportunities are endless. If you have a vision High Point will help you get there.

Faith

High Point University stuns me every time I step on campus. The facilities are unlike any other, and the opportunities for fun, success, and careers are endless! Every faculty member wants to see you be successful! The campus provides as many opportunities as possible to make friends and truly encourage a community feel so that you feel more at home.

Maggie

HPU was my dream school and I was in love to begin with and my love for HPU never ceases and just continues to grow. There are so many opportunites that are offered that many schools do not have. The professors know me by name and know when I am/am not in class. The relationship between professors and students & students to students is amazing.

stephen

High Point University is a fantastic school!! The campus is extremely beautiful all year round. The majority of the professors there are so very helpful and explain the material very well! I've spent many hours in the library at High Point University and thoroughly enjoyed the free coffee machine as it helped me to study for many exams and finish many papers in the past. I would highly recommend High Point University to anyone looking for a university to attend!!

Calvin

HPU is a wonderful school to go to if you come from a family of millionaires. As most don't, this school can be very... very pricy. 52k minimum is a bit egregious. Just be mindful that if you visit the campus, all may not be as it seems. This school has a very Gilded feel to it. They will want you to drink the "Purple" Juice. It is a beautiful campus and the academics are phenomenal. Just look into the issues with the school before coming. I did not, and it has made me kind of re-think some things about HPU afterwards. Look up a particular incident involving Delta Sig in 2012. It was a truly chilling read.

Alexa

I love this school! they give you free breakfast snack every morning (school days). The food is fantastic; there is a bar/grill, diner, bakery, grille, and A STEAKHOUSE!!! The only bad thing I can say about HPU is that there aren't a lot of housing options without paying extra.

Victoria

I love High Point University, it is a beautiful campus, great food, and other great amenities. I love to play in the arcade with my friends and boyfriend. I also love the kindness of professors and the small class sizes. Also, the Cottrell building has great things to assist students in helping find internships and jobs after graduation.

Nina

High Point University is an incredible institution that I am proud to attend. The campus life is always interesting and fun, it is difficult to ever be bored from school sponsored events to hanging out with friends. I recommend this school to anyone interested. Although expensive, it will be worth your investment.

Anne-Catherine

High Point is a great university. It is a nice size (5,000 students) and the campus is compact so getting around is very easy. Because of the smaller size of the university you really get to know a lot of people and it is a true community. The campus and facilities are beautiful and its a great place to call home for four years!

Alyssa

It is a very kind campus. Most people are very friendly, and the staff and faculty are also amazing. There's a lot of small things such as decorations and the steakhouse that go a long way to help the students. There are always people available to help. The only drawback is the cost, but for a college that provides so much, it really is worth every penny,

Isabella

High Point University is tends to go above and beyond with everything on campus. Everything from how beautiful campus is to what each of the teachers do inside the classroom. As a freshman, I have had the ability to connect with amazing people such as the co-founder of Netflix. If it wasn't for High Point, I would have never had these opportunities. Coming from the streets of Cleveland, I have worked hard and received many scholarships to go to this university. Most students here come from families who are millionaires and are very successful. Even though I do not come from money, I love High Point and fit right in. The atmosphere at High Point University is very calm and relaxed yet everyone is driven for success. Everyone dresses nice when they go to class, some professors require you wear business professional attire. We, as a student body are learning that business is an art, and human interaction is unique with each person. Being a life long learner is key at High Point and understanding that each person can be extraordinary in their own ways. Because of High Point's connections and work I have created throughout this first school year, I was able to receive a graduate level, paid, internship this year as a freshman! Different opportunities like these are worth so much more than simple money... yet money is key to being able to do many things. This is one downside of the University: it is very expensive. Without so many scholarships every year, I will not be bale to attend this university... which is now my home. It also is in an area that is not the best, yet I have never felt so save in my life when walking around on campus. I know a few security guards, just because they are always out, patrolling campus, making sure everyone is safe and are also so sweet and nice. Everyone down to the janitors are so nice. When I am studying in a building on campus, the janitors are sure to say hello and ask how life is going. Being proper and nice is what I think they try to teach us. High Point University is just like a community where everyone works together to help each other succeed. Now, I understand how all of this may not seem like a real thing... at least where I come from High Point University sounds fake... but I assure you, it really is like this. I aspire to be the best I can be, and basically all the students around me are the same... which is why I have to stay at this university. I am very blessed to even have the opportunity to go to this university for a year. Just like any other campus, this one has its faults. But the biggest downsides I personally can think of is when you walk past the fountains you may get sprayed and parking may be hard to find for my friends with cars. (But these really are not big problems, they are small annoyances that we all are grateful to have and laugh about quite often.) High Point University is reaching its 200th year very soon and I can understand why. A community of hard work, good attitudes, professionalism, and an eagerness to learn can bread success. High Point University is ranked #1 in Regional Colleges South, #2 in Best Undergraduate Teaching, #20 in Best Value Schools, and #1 in Most Innovative Schools by US News for a reason.

Lauryn

High Point University is an excellent university of higher learning. The campus at HPU is second to none. The fountains and landscaping are immaculate. The professors are of the finest quality of any university its size. The President is the key to HPU's success. The career center and mentors hip programs are second to none.

Aurora

Overall, High Point is definitely what the school advertises itself as. Over the top and surrounded by lots of money. The students that attend are pretty much all from the same upper class lifestyle and love to flash their money. The campus is small and has that feel, not a lot of activity happening on a regular basis. It feels kind of empty to be honest.

Alexa

The only "bad" thing about High Point University is that there are not a lot of options for upperclassmen to live on main campus without having to pay extra money. There is also not a lot to do in the actual city of High Point, but there is so much to do in the next town over, Greensboro.

Haley

At High Point University we embrace in an extraordinary education while living in higher living. We are rooted in life skills that will benefit each one of us in the future. Everyone is very positive and uplifting and willing to work with you under any circumstances.

Elaine

I love it!!! The campus is incredibly beautiful but, more than that, it has an air of welcoming and acceptance and love. Everyone goes out of their way to help and so many people have offered to do whatever they can to support me. Normally, I feel anxious in new places but at HPU, that all washes away. I never want to leave.

Sydnee

The school, facilities, and academic opportunities are fantastic. The focus on being extraordinary shapes the way that he campus is run. I'm extremely impressed.

I positively love it here! Everyone is so nice. I joined a sorority and love it. The classes are awesome. My dorm is so nice. The food is great. They have a steakhouse on campus and it's five star and delicious. We have 4 outdoor pools, the weather is warm to hot. The grounds of the school are beautiful with many gardens and fountains. It's the best school ever!

Peyton

I love High Point University! The president is Nido Qubein, a motivational speaker, and he's always doing random acts of kindness on campus, plus he teaches a life skills class!

Jonathan

It is a day care for the rich, security care more about babysitting the kids than stopping unwanted people from entering campus. The teachers are absolutely amazing and I have met many professors that I can honestly say have changed my college career for the better. The school administration is extremely corrupt, the presidents son was the pledge master here and murdered a pledge and the president covered it all up, at this school money will get you out of anything......even murder. If you don't believe me ill post the article below. Money can get students out of almost anything and for the students like myself who don't have millions of dollars to donate it can be hard to compete. I have never been in trouble here at school but the school has students that are Very Important Families (VIF) which means they get special treatment that normal average students don't receive. For example these VIF's get better academic counseling and advising putting them at an advantage. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-09-24/death-at-delta-sig-heiress-wages-a-million-dollar-war-on-frats

Roxanne

I love the University, you always feel welcoming when you step on the campus. The people are so nice and friendly. In some colleges you rarely see the president, but at High Point you always see him. And if you are a freshman, you will take his class too, and that is great!

Alaina

High Point University is an establishment that puts very little into the actual depth of education and satisfaction of students, and rather, focuses on outward appearance above all else. The school is very focused on appearances and presentation, so that students who visit are very enticed to attend. This focus on appearance and the amenities offered are very distracting when it comes to making your decision based on important things, such as the level of academia, the health-consciousness and variety of the dining options, the type of student that attends the school, and the quality of the services offered at the institution. These are all things that could use some work at High Point University. Some of the professors at this school do not even have PHD's, and while they advertise American professors and no student-teachers, I have had a number of professors that were hard to understand because of a thick accent, or a student teacher in a classroom. I am also a vegetarian, which means that my dining options are somewhat restricted to begin with, and High Point does not do much by means of providing options. I have had multiple occasions occur where I have had to re-order my food because I asked for no meat and meat was given to me. I have also had to complain because they do not clearly mark which foods are vegetarian friendly, or gluten free, or allergy-restricted. This can be dangerous for students with allergies or serious health problems related to food, so this is an area that needs major improvement. Also, the dining establishments all serve the same kind of food: American cuisine such as sandwiches and soups. There is no cultural variety whatsoever when it comes to the dining options on campus. It is extremely unhealthy and also gets very mundane and repetitive after a while. This is very reflective of the student population here at High Point University. There is a very noticeable lack of diversity. The student body is 90% white, and that is a statistic, not an observation. There are no organizations that rally around diversity or students of color, and there is a very conservative republican presence that even the president of the school reinforces. The people here are not very accepting of minorities or people who are different than them, which is anyone who is not wealthy, republican, and of European descent. The school attracts these people as the majority of the student body, because the school puts a huge emphasis on wealth and status, rather than quality of character. They also put materialistic concerns over the quality of their services, such as the student health services, and counseling services. The doctors working in student health have given incorrect diagnoses to myself and several of my acquaintances, which can put mental strain on a student if the misdiagnosis given is serious. The counseling services are also incompetant. There is very little availability to make appointments, and if one is very severely depressed or anxious, this can be extremely detrimental to their mental health. The staff are also not very genuine when it comes to mental health counseling, or any of the services provided in general. The whole air surrounding the university stinks of fraud, whether it be the attitudes of the employees and students, to the quality of construction of the school itself. Everything is about the outward perception of the school, and nothing has been done to improve the quality of the operations of the school as a whole.

Antonio

It is an extraordinary university that shapes and molds future extraordinary people . It is my top choice of school and I’m confident I am where I need to be to achieve my goal . Everyone at highpoint plays an important roll in the future of every student. The support is 100% there .

Kelsey

High Point University is the epitome of elegance and good taste. Students, staff, and faculty are provided with state-of-the-art facilities that help them achieve academic/athletic greatness. The opportunities are endless. Your safety is top priority. Resources needed to succeed are provided everywhere you go. The President’s vision for this institution is unbelievable because he believes in his students. As any other institution, the success you achieve is a result of the effort you put in.

Madison

High Point University is an extraordinary school. Just being on campus, you feel as though you are in Disney World. There is music playing around campus, fountains everywhere, and state of the art facilities. The academic buildings are magnificent and include a cadaver lab, planetarium, conservatory, pharmaceutical lab, and much more. The overall environment of High Point University is beyond comforting. There are so many activities and groups to join, including many fraternities and sororities. The housing and food options at the school are far superior to any other university I have seen. Private bathrooms, kitchens, single rooms, and of course, the five pools available to students. There is even a Chick-Fil-a and subway on campus! Academically, the class sizes are relatively small and the teachers are always available to help those who need it. There are tons of outside learning times as well including study groups. Overall, High Point University is the best university there is!

Jenna

High Point University is such an insightful and growing community of people: students and professors. The campus is filled with an environment meant to stimulate the mind and enrich the students on their journey to greatness beyond the classroom. The kindness present at this university is seen so greatly in its staff and students.

Jessie

High Point University is an amazing school. There are so many opportunities for students to succeed both in and out of the classroom. Each student is given equal opportunity within their major to succeed. The school sets up students for life after college. There are resources available to assist with career building. Many students leave HPU with a job already lined up for them or a spot in a graduate program either at High Point or at another university. The housing is extremely nice, but it is difficult to live on campus your sophomore year, which can be a slight inconvenience. Dining options are amazing, There is something for everyone, even a five star steak house right on main campus. The school has many interactive things and something new to do every day. There is an arcade and a movie theater which shows movies Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. A brand new science building will be opening in the fall with state of the art equipment and an arena is being built with a hotel so students can get real life hospitality work experience,

High Point University is an institution of high prestige that teaches its students to expect and replicate the same level of prestige. From supporting faculty and staff, to hands-on education, High Point University truly encourages all students to explore the environment around them with a mindset of critical thinking that is necessary for the growing and ever changing modern world. The combination of high expectations and inspiring motivation set High Point apart from other schools because it constantly reminds students that they are not only more than what they can imagine themselves to be, but that they can achieve anything they dedicate themselves to. Overall, my opinion of High Point University is one of high respect because so much genuine care and concern is given to every student and what they learn while in college. An institution such as High Point makes adjusting to college life smooth, welcoming, and enjoyable for all which cultivates a sense of comfort and belonging that sticks for the entire four years spent at the school.

Jacqueline

I really like the school and will be attending next year after I graduate high school. The professors are engaging, easily accessible and are willing to assist students. In addition, the facilities are top-notch for academics. Overall, High Point University is a beautiful college campus.

High Point University is an amazing school huge amounts of opportunity for it's students. The school offers so much and provides an inspiring environment that leads its students to success. The president of the school, Dr. Nido Quebin, is so involved with the student body and instructs a few classes which really allow the students to connect with him and hear his motivational and engaging speeches each class which personally had a huge affect on me. The school in general provides so many connections and involvement opportunities and I consider myself so long to attend HPU.

Carly

High Point University is an extremely amazing place that allows you to experience the best version of yourself. This university is excellent and really teaches students how to pursue there futures as well as teaching them to do the job correctly.

Brandon

High Point University is the most amazing school I have seen. The campus is immaculate, the grounds are like a national park, clean and well kept, you won’t find a single piece of liter on the ground. Every facility we visited made you feel like you were in a million-dollar mansion or a high-tech office building. The artwork that is displayed is breath taking. Everyone on campus is so helpful and always smiling.

Janice

High Point University has wonderful professors that guide you in the right direction. The campus is safe and clean. The basketball team is great. The classrooms are state of the art. You can get free coffee or hot chocolate on campus. The professors help you get internships.

Shakira

ITS THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s a type of place where you have to get the experience for yourself for it to be real. Yah know? Anyways. It’s awesome.................................