Des Moines, WA
Highline College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Highline College

marianela

i will definitely will tell my self to really sit down with my mother and search for the right collage and apply for scholarships that would help me pay for collage. also to be very carefull when reading the applications.

Tina

When I was in high school, my mother was encouraging me to go to college and I didn't want to at the time, but unfortunately, I didn't have a choice. I did end up going to several community colleges, but not doing very well because my heart really wasn't in it. In looking back, I will not force my children to go to school if they don't want to. Priorities change over time and mind definetly did. It has been over 15 years now since I have been to school, and I have decided to go back and get my BA in Ealy Elementary Education. Due to my priorities and my focus I can honestly say, I am very excited about moving forward with a Teaching Degree and being a straight A student. I would tell myself not to go to school and waste my money, if I truely am not going to give it my all. I need to put 110% in school and making every class and every moment count.

I think the people who have choosen Education as their major should attend Central Washington University.

Highline Community College is one of the most diverse colleges in Washington State, which is wonderful because I am able to learn from, share a classroom with, and volunteer with many different cultures. I have learned so much not only from the classes but from the students and I think that in order to receive a great education you have to attend a school that opens your mind and your heart to new experiences. Highline has given me this opportunity and I'm excited to see where this education takes me next.

Most people would say I am the poster child for regrets; single mom, back in college at the age of 32, and just recently figuring out what to do with my life. Most people would say I couldn't answer your question in just 200 words. Well, I'm not most people. If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself the biggest hug I could muster and simply say, "you are going to need this hug to get you through the next 14 years, but don't change anything because each and every experience has made you the person you are now, and that's something to be proud of". I don't have any regrets. I needed to go through life experiences to get to where I am today, and without them I wouldn't have a beautiful boy, a true sense of myself, and the courage to face future obstacles. Some people figure it out right out of high school, and some, such as myself, figure it out a little way down the road. I'm proud of myself and the road I took to get here.

I can't think of a single thing I wish I would have known before coming to Highline. I truly believe that once a person makes the decision to go to college, they should embrace it and start their learning process immediately. It is the experiences that occur while in college that really mold someone as a student and future graduate. No amount of research or understanding is going to prepare a person for the college experience. My advice is to jump in with both feet and start swimming!

Kui

Through the years I?ve had the opportunity to study at six different colleges throughout the nation, and I have to say the most unique thing about Highline Community College is the overall high quality of the teaching staff, and the ethnic diversity of the students.

If I could go back and counsel myself, I would advise the younger Kui, while still in High School, to study hard for the SAT?s, take as many college prep courses as possible, study reference material that educate potential college students on studying, note taking and time management, speak to a few different career and school advisors to help me design a college education plan, research potential colleges thoroughly, and secure adequate financial aid. Prior to starting my first college semester I would suggest to myself to take a tour of my chosen college in order to become familiar and comfortable with the grounds and the staff, take only twelve credits for the first semester so I don?t overstress myself, balance my classes academically for each semester, and also mix them up so I have a variety of courses and difficulty levels. By doing this it makes the semester much more interesting and I find it easier to retain the individual course material. The last bit of knowledge that I would pass on to myself would be to make good quality, like-minded friends, study hard, don?t give up, and to enjoy college life to its fullest.

Highline Community College is an excellent place for any aspiring student that has the desire to learn and better themselves as a scholar, professional, and overall person.

My

There are many reasons that make Highline Community College great. It's known for its ability to embrace diversity. I see endless events of different cultures all the time. From Vietnamese Tet festival to African American Dancing. My College is best known for its nursing program. Coming to HCC is not just a matter of learning but it is a environment that allows everyone the enjoyment of school and life. I know i have enjoyed much of HCC and that is what i truly think this is the best thing the school is known for.

I love the professors here. They actually do care about their students. I have found, in every quarter, a professor more different from the last, but they always have one thing in common, and that is the well-being of their students. They make sure that everyone has the opportunity to achieve and gain excellence. They strive to encourage you from class work to understanding life outside of class. The professors are the soul of Highline Community College and HCC would be nothing without them!

Dear My, College is no longer like high school where you could joke and mess around without the consequences of failing big time in class. You don't get away with everything by smoothing excuses for missing homework with sweet words of flatteries to the professors. It's all about diligence and the ability to confront your laziness. Band is great is high school and FBLA is even more exciting, but by the time you get to College, clubs are no longer a place to involve only yourself and your enjoyment. It is a place to grow as a person and reaching out to better your society. I believe that you would go great if you heed these advice. I know i had a hard time coming to terms with changes of the life in college but so far, things are going well and it will only get better for me years from now. I have learn so much. Best of Luck, My Le

Alisa

The High School that i attended, really focused on getting each and every student ready for College. We were required to graduate with what they call the 13 Year Plan. While in high school i just thought that this was a way to keep us busy. I would tell myself now, that it's not. Doing the 13 year plan helped me prepare for the real world. One thing I was not ready for was all the self discipline needed to stay focused and on top of everything. I would tell my self to practice time managment. How to balance a job, school/study, and a social life. Going into college most students think it's going to be one big party, and for some it is, but for most it takes alot of responsibility and growing up. I didn't know that it would happen so fast, and i wish that i would have been more prepared for the responsibilities i was about to embark upon.

I wish I would have had more information on the Highline's programs and activities. Once I was accepted, the only thing I recieved was an acceptance letter. There was no information on the different degrees and programs behind those degrees. I wish I would have known about all the different emphasis areas that Highline offered. If I would have known about the Centereal Washington Program they offer on Highline's campus, I would have looked more into it before I began.

Highline has a wide variety of courses. If you are looking to go onto the nursing field, along with education and law, Highline is a good school for you. They also have a good music program, and it continues to excel. The Student programs are well done, and have a good number of student involvment. So if you are looking for a way to help on campus, Highline has many ways to be involved. Centeral Washington University also has a campus on Highline. This allows you to get a 4 year degree for less money.

stanley

Highline community college is a well diversified school and has provided students with a healthy learning since 1962.

I enjoyed the diversity among my classmates and got to interact with students from different nationalities. I participated in group work and i got to deal with different personalities. Some of my classmates were extroverts and were engaging while some were quite reserved. In general, my classmates provided me with a healthy environment and some encouraged me to become who i am today.

After enrolling at Highline community college, i discovered that college was quite different from life in high school. If i would take back the hand of time i would have a tale to tell myself about college life and transition i would need to make. In college, you'll meet a wide spectrum of students from different nationalities and cultures than in high school. I remember making friends with students from Mongolia (a country i have never had about). That means i will need to learn to understand and work with students coming from a culture that's different fom mine. In college, the student is expected to do much more by themself and the lecturer only guides you. This means the work load heaps on you and requires you to manage your time well and work as a group. This transition must occur quickly to ensure you stay current on your assignments and you maintain good grades.

Tracy

I would have applied myself more to studies then and created better habits going into college. I would have learned to focus better on tasks at hand, which would have made the transition to college so much easier.

The location is centrally located, the instructors are very personable and friendly and they have a genuine concern for their students getting a good education. The process to enroll was so easy and everyone was so helpful in getting everything taken care of.

The instructors are some of the most enthusiastic teachers I've ever dealt with. They love what they do and they know that the students are their customer.

John

My classmates are diverse in race and ages. There is a blend of local and international students in addition to a new increased group that ranges from the young adult to the mature adults. Overall, they are very friendly.

If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I would encourage sticking with my first instincts of pursuing my education. I knew that I wanted to go, but resisted through the excuse of family needing me. I would tell myself that it's a mistake to assume that you take care of your family as an undereducated person, as they would do much better if you put yourself first. I would tell myself that two or four years isn't as long as it appears from the starting point, and is well worth the investment. Family can wait.

This is a good school for someone that wants to take advantage of a mix of teaching methods from on campus classes to online classes. In my case, I wanted a specialized program that I couldn't find at other community colleges, as I am an entrepreneur, and needed to approach a professional certification while I worked out the potential for completed the two year.

Highline College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.