Des Moines, WA
Highline College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Highline College

John

My classmates are diverse in race and ages. There is a blend of local and international students in addition to a new increased group that ranges from the young adult to the mature adults. Overall, they are very friendly.

If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I would encourage sticking with my first instincts of pursuing my education. I knew that I wanted to go, but resisted through the excuse of family needing me. I would tell myself that it's a mistake to assume that you take care of your family as an undereducated person, as they would do much better if you put yourself first. I would tell myself that two or four years isn't as long as it appears from the starting point, and is well worth the investment. Family can wait.

This is a good school for someone that wants to take advantage of a mix of teaching methods from on campus classes to online classes. In my case, I wanted a specialized program that I couldn't find at other community colleges, as I am an entrepreneur, and needed to approach a professional certification while I worked out the potential for completed the two year.

Linda

My school is best known for having a high percentage of students completing their program, prerequisite, certificate, or of that similarity, here.

It's okay that you you decide not to go straight to college, because giving yourself time to figure things out is just as great. Right out of high school are your experiemental years. Don't waste time and expenses at a University just to find out the major you intended on is no longer your passion. Myself for example, my mother lived a big portion of her life in Vietnam. She had minimum education over here in America. All she knew was that if I went to school, everything would be okay. But it wasn't the case. I felt like a prisoner in school. I hated school, so my grades weren't great (2.2). I had no idea where I was going and I was wasting large amounts of time and money. And 4 years later in college, I haven't completed anything. But through volunteer, out in the workfield, and people I encounter, I finally know what I want my career to be. Now I'm working extremely hard in school and my grades show for it (3.75). Therefore, my advice for you is to be patient with yourself and to do things for yourself.

They have this system where they give priorities to people who have more credits and and people who are preparing to graduate. The priority is that they get to register sooner (about a week or two). Worst if you are a new students (a month). By the time I register (I've completed 2 quarters), a lot of my mandatory classes are filled, and I'm on the waiting list. For the time being I was here, I was lucky enough to always get into my classes.

Eileen

I wasn't very focused in high school and I was making bad decisions. I almost dropped out. Thankfully my parents wouldn't let me drop out and I completed high school. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would tell myself to stick it out and be patient through high school because college is completely different and much more fun. I would encourage myself to get better grades and not cut classes or hang out with the people I was hanging out with. I also did running start in 11th and 12th grade, so during that period, I would have told myself to be more assertive and use the time and resources I had to complete as much of my AA as possible. Now I am paying for my choices, but I am so thankful that I even have the opportunity to go to college and get a good education for my career! I learned from my mistakes.

I love it there, the cafe is very cozy, really good programs, most diverse college ever!

Lisa

They've all come from different backgrounds with unique stories, interests, values and experiences, but they all have the same goal that I do.

The advice that I would give myself is that it's okay to be unsure about what you want to do, but you still need to have a plan. Meet with a High School counselor or an advisor from a college you're thinking about, but make a plan with someone. It's important to get an idea of what stepping stones you'll need to take to get to a general goal, even if you don't know the specifics. The details will come later, when you become more and more sure about (or should I say you discover) what you want to do. It's okay to not have every answer right now as long as you're moving in a positive direction. It's important to meet with a counselor because they know the details about what classes you need to take, what grades you need to get and what the prerequisites to certain classes are. You don't need to stress yourself out about learning a new confusing system when you have someone who has mastered it and can tell you exactly what you should and shouldn't do.

Someone who doesn't want to adapt to change and who doesn't want to get involved with campus activities. Our school is very ethnically diversed so everyone must be accepting and open to others. There's also always different activities happening at our school so the students that will enjoy our school the most are the one's that get involved and participate.

Highline College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.