Des Moines, WA

Highline College

« See more reviews of Highline College

I wasn't very focused in high school and I was making bad decisions. I almost dropped out. Thankfully my parents wouldn't let me drop out and I completed high school. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would tell myself to stick it out and be patient through high school because college is completely different and much more fun. I would encourage myself to get better grades and not cut classes or hang out with the people I was hanging out with. I also did running start in 11th and 12th grade, so during that period, I would have told myself to be more assertive and use the time and resources I had to complete as much of my AA as possible. Now I am paying for my choices, but I am so thankful that I even have the opportunity to go to college and get a good education for my career! I learned from my mistakes.

If I could give myself advice I would say to myself “It may seem easier now but I promise it will get harder. Through life you were always trying to look for ways to challenge yourself and when you are not challenge you tend not to care about the class until you get challenged once again. I know slacking off seems so easy and I know you are smart enough to get everything done last minute. But trust me, it's not worth it. Going into college you're going to see that you want to do the same thing in high school. Don't do it. You will regret it in the long run. You have the power of knowledge and you are the first generation graduate of our family. Set the highest stepping stones for your younger siblings to follow not the lowest. So they can see that anything is possible because YOU made it possible.

One of the significant lessons I may have learned from my schooling is time management. I wish I could have saved more time to focus on the additional resources and learning materials during my school attendance period. By focusing on the additional learning resources and material, we can enhance more life learning and education that guide my personal and professional life. By having more education we may find more job opportunities, more income and brighter life for my family that consequently enables me to contribute in improving our economy and create better sustainable life for our current and future generations.

If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I would encourage sticking with my first instincts of pursuing my education. I knew that I wanted to go, but resisted through the excuse of family needing me. I would tell myself that it's a mistake to assume that you take care of your family as an undereducated person, as they would do much better if you put yourself first. I would tell myself that two or four years isn't as long as it appears from the starting point, and is well worth the investment. Family can wait.

i will definitely will tell my self to really sit down with my mother and search for the right collage and apply for scholarships that would help me pay for collage. also to be very carefull when reading the applications.

I would have applied myself more to studies then and created better habits going into college. I would have learned to focus better on tasks at hand, which would have made the transition to college so much easier.

dude! get it done while you're young. even though it's hard and school is kinda annoying it is ALL worth it once you finish. you really do set yourself up for the future!

Work harder! Don't go into college thinking you can do the bare minimum and pass. It's real buisness. Also, your high school didn't really prepare you for math.

I would tell myself to apply myself better in school because now that I'm actually enjoying school and trying, I have made National Honor Society.

stay in school and don't let out side life distract me