Hamburg, NY

Hilbert College

« See more reviews of Hilbert College

The advice I would give myself as a student in college is learning about financial aid/FAFSA, developing better writing skills, and preparing for classes. As a junior in college I have no understanding on how to complete my financial aid. I believe in all High Schools there should be an optional college 101 class for those that want to attend college within their junior year. This class will prepare students with the knowledge of their own budget and what they need to complete their financial aid/FAFSA correctly. While attending High School I only received two ten page papers and now that I’m in college I receive ten page papers in every course. At first I struggled and attended the tutors quite frequently because High School didn’t prepare me for all these assignments at one time. As I prepare myself for classes in college it’s very different than High School. In High School I was able to submit assignments in late without being penalized, but being a college student professors don’t accept late assignments. I also believe I should’ve token advantage of tutoring more and learning better study habits for quizzes, midterms and exams.

Finding the right college is pretty difficult. I personally started with college search engines like the Princeton Review, which start you out with information based on schools that best support your academic interests. I highly suggest visiting schools, as well. It's like online dating; first you look at the school's profile, get to know the school better through research, and then you meet to see if there is any chemistry. School visits are key in the latter part. Once you have chosen your college and gone through orientation, it is advisable to join something, anything, that will allow you to make friends and really enjoy your time on campus. Many people do go down the sports path. However, many campuses have clubs and organizations. Some of these clubs are even major-based, and will really help you not only in the classroom, but in networking. Other clubs are interest based. I highly suggest joining at least one of each in order to achieve a well-rounded college experience. Many schools also have on campus activies, as well as trips, in which a student aspiring for the college experience can participate.

I would give parents and students the following advice in finding the right college for them and making college the best experience possible: First of all, my advice would state that when looking for a college, look at the best place where your son or daughter, or whoever the prospective student is, can grow the most. Usually big schools such as Yale, Harvard, Cornell, UB, Buffalo State, and others, are relatively larger in size compared to smaller private colleges that may offer better opportunity for community involvement and growth as an individual. Going to college isn't just to get a good job in four years, it should be looking forward to growing and maturing as a person as well. This leads me to what can make the college experience the best one to have. The advice I will share with you, is get involved! Do as many activities as you can, and really learn how to manage your time! Play a sport, or join a club, or even take a alternative spring break trip. Do something others wouldn't to make yourself stand out, and put those things on your resume! Overall, look for the most growth and involvment!

If I could go back as a high school student, I would tell myself to keep an open mind and never say no to an opportunity; give everything a shot because you never know if you will love it. There were times within my college career that I listened to that advice and other times I did not. My biggest regret senior year was not applying for Hilbert College's Honor's Program. I was afraid I would not have enough time for it, knowing I was going to participate on the cross country team, so I threw away the application. At the end of freshman year, I was asked to apply again and I did. I love being a part of the program, it has made me become a better person. Another opportunity I took was participating in basketball and lacrossse along with cross country. I had never played lacrosse before, but now it is one of my favorite activities. Joining the Honor's program and all three sports has allowed me to meet so many diffrerent people; each team is completely different than the other. I have stopped living with regets once I stopped saying no to opportunities.

First you need to deceide what you want out of your college experience. Your the only one whom knows what you are expecting, and you are the only one whom can make it happen. Your college exeperience is what you choose to make of it. Whether your active or not, is up to you. What you like to be involved in is also up to you. Make sure when looking for a college you are aware if staying on campus of your surroundings and if eveything you will need is close by. Grocery store, doctor, emergency room, gas station, bus route. Also, when looking for a college you need to know what your learning preference is, do you like large classrooms, with lots of students? Or small classes, where it is easy for personal attention from the professor if needed. To be good at what profession you have choosen you need to go to class, pay attention, do your work, and be the best that you can be. If you slack off, don't attend classes, turn assignments in late, then your grades will suffer, this isn't high school anymore, excuses don't fly. Good luck and God Bless!!!!

The advice I would give myself is to finish high school on a high note academically which really helps in the transition from High School to college. I also would would encourage the myself to develope study skills as well as organizational skills. i have learned they are invaluable in the success of college life. To be succesful in time management is to set yourself up for success in the classroom. Also, to own your education, back in high school your teachers stay on top of you for assignments and tests but in college you pretty much are on your own. SO you really must know when things are due and when your tests are scheduled from the sylabus that you are given the first day of classes. I also would advise myself to keep a balance on school and fun time. I have wathced a number of my friends struggle academically and be placed on probation because they fell so far behind in their studies that thier first term GPA is below a 2.0. So my adive is to stay ahead of course work and study and review daily so you don't find yourself cramming.

The most important advice I could give would be to research perspective colleges. Pay particular attention to enrollment status and procedure, graduate success rates, career placement, preparation for graduate school as well as programs or designated places for academic assistance. One of the most important criteria is the size of the campus and the individual learning style. It is important if a student requires more one to one learning to find a campus that is smaller in size. I found that open houses can provide a great insight into the how the campus functions and the type of individuals that are employed and enrolled. It also provides a insight to how large or small the campus is. Personal interviews and tours and highly encouraged as they provide greater insight into the desired program curriculum as well as the professors within the specific program. Communication is another key to success of the college. It is imperative for all departments to be in constant communication regarding your academic and financial status.

All through grammar school I was such in a big rush to graduate and get into Highschool, I was in a big rush to grow up. Once I graduated from 8th grade I was more than ready to be a freshman in Highschool. Those four years in Highschool were the best days of my life, I loved it. Once I became a senior reality hit me. Within twelve months I would be entering into a whole new world, the College world. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would remind myself to stay focused. Entering into college I realized I had alot of freedom. Teachers were not chasing me down about papers, I didnt have a set bed time. I was pretty much in this cold world by myself. In College you have to look out for yourself because noone else will do it for you. I would tell myself to push for success because Failure is not an option. College is the next best step to further education. Do well, do your homwork. Stay focused.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are definitely a few things I would advise myself. I would start with leaving home-the biggest step. I would tell myself that if I never forgot one crucial point I would be fine-I can always go home. I think when seniors leave for college they get afraid to leave and forget that they can come home, they are not forced to leave forever. Visits can be made and I promise, it gets easier over time. I would also tell myself to open up, and to be original. Do not conform to your college friends but learn to live together and be friends while all still being separate individuals. As long as you stay true to yourself, you will be fine. Stand up for what you believe in, and take in new ideas at the same time. And finally I would say to enjoy the journey. Attend school events, play video games with your friends, go out dancing all night and make the best of college?it will be over before you know it.

First i would say trully look at the high school experience. If they went to a big school and didn't do great i would say look at a smaller college, they may need more one on one experience to live up to their full potential. If they went to a large school and did well they may be fine going to a large or a smaller school and vise versa with smaller high schools. Than look at the area that the colleges are in. If they will be out all night in the city obviously you would want to go there to party and not the school. I also encourage campus visiting if possible. Gives you a sence of the college you get to see first hand what it looks like. Get involved with at leat one or two activities every year. Dont be afraid to ask questions and get extra help you are not being a nerd if you do and no one will make fun of you for doing it. College is the steping stone from being a child to adulthood you will learn a lot about yourself enjoy this time next comes the real world.