Tampa, FL
Hillsborough Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hillsborough Community College

Marlyna

My school offers educational plans focuses on getting me the associates degree that I am working toward, while considering my plans for further education and careers. This consideration is helping me move forward with my education at this present time while keeping a strong focus on requirements of my future goals as well. Hillsborough Community College is also very interractive with the student body with frequent events including student participation in promotions and clubs. This makes me as a student feel like it is more than just going to school every day, it is actually fun!

The advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to think about and weigh the pro's and con's of the options of either starting at community college then transferring to a 4-year university or going straight to the university. I would tell myself not to be afraid of being in an unfamiliar environment when possibly starting off at the university, because all freshman start in the same place either way. I would also tell my high school self to stop being lazy and get to work on applying for scholarships. But most importantly, I would tell myself to be confident in whatever path I choose, because it is MY choice and should not be influenced by any desires other than the goal of achieving my future career path.

I believe the worst thing about my school is the inability to connect to your fellow classmates. Everyone is connected through what school they attend and which classes they are in, but it's still difficult to find common ground with people who are almost all there simply for a general education, rather than participating in class because it's the subject that interests them. I feel that students in higher years of education that take courses related to the degree they are pursuing have the advantage of being surrounded by classmates with similar goals that they can connect to.

Luke

Dear past Luke in a couple months you will be a college student and i know its kinda bittersweet leaving high school but you need to understand that this is a new chapter in your life and with new chapters comes the opportunity to renievent yourself and be the absoulute best version of yourself you can be. And truth be told your problem that you still face today as im writing this letter to you is you make life more complex than it outta be, you make self improvement more complex than it outta be. So heres what your going to do your gonna start being the hero of your own story. Pretend theres a camera following you around 24/7 that is recording you so one day when your kids and grandkids see it they will say "wow dad/grandpa was something else he got things done and lived his life to the fullest every day". Because objectively in your head like everyone else you already know what you need to do and how you need to do it you just need to start doing it. SO STOP OVERTHINKING IT AND BE THE PERSON YOU WANT TO BE.

Anthony

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably recommend AP classes for high school credit because that would have put at least 10,000 dollars in my pocket. There are also dual-enrollment programs now that expedite and facilitate earning a college education much sooner and for less money. Although I cannot go back in time to do this, I will still be able to relay this information to my younger siblings for their benefit. :)

The best thing about my school is all of the techers in the field of study I was in. I feel that all the teachers that tought me in social sciences, behavioral sciences, and sciences in general were great and I learned a great deal from all of them.

The worst thing about my school is probably the lack of competent, efficient, and successful mathematics teachers working there. I feel most of them do not communicate effectively, putting a serious block on many credits being able to earned at the school.

Kathy

Take the opportunity to go to college. It is easier to continue your education now than to wait until you are older. College can make a big difference in your life. It will give you opportunities to make friendships that can continue throughout life and experiences that will help you in the future. Think about what kind of career you want. College can make the difference between doing what you would enjoy or just getting by.

Kenneth

SGA is the most active in all campuses. If we are comparing other organization that don't relate SGA, then we can point out NSCS. NSCS its always engage with the Honors Institute. I have been president for NSCS for a year, and now I am a historian and immediate past president. The athlete are not that popular in HCC. Although our volley ball team made it to state tournament, the reputation is nor enough to get school spirit. I met my closest friend by working together in Honors institute events. At 2:00am on Tuesday, I would be studying for classes. The traditional event that happens in HCC is the SGA welcome bash. We technically pay for everything that they pay us. But it is very cool that they pick out cool stuff for us. On a saturday night, you can have a movie night and have an intellectual discussion. you can also go out to concerts, drink a coffee with a couple of friends, or go to the movies.

I have not seen radical type of groups at HCC. I have seen group making radical movements. HCC its pretty calm when it comes to political radical engagement. Students wear regular seasonal cloth to class. Different types of students interact. I have personally been in Long Island University's dorms, and I can say that students in Florida are pretty laid back when it comes to interaction. "some" students in New york can be rude. Regular students at HCC come into school and go away when they are done. However, Honor students love to do group work and get together in Coffe shops and work on their homework. Honors students are much more creative and get engage with the materials. Honor students always talk about what they have learned. They are very curious students.

At Hillsborough Community College, Professors know you by name, and you are not a number. My favorite class has been Early European History Honors. My least favorite has been English 2 Honors. Regular students tend to not participate, but Honor love to be engaged. HCC Honor Students love to have political, philosophical, and friendly conversations out side of class. The honors institute have study lounges on every campus and Honor students love have intelectual discussion in there. The Honors student are trained to compete in the national level. Our professors come from prestigious universities ,and HCC Honors students get elevated to such level as Ivy league level of intellect. My intended major is Physics. HCC has different degrees for different purposes: transfer students, technical job, and certificates.

The stereotype of my college its the thought of its lack of success because it is a "community" college. This stereotypes of community colleges are not accurate. Students at community college tend to be more focus in their studies compared to students from universities because we have no sororities, and most of them dont have football teams. Therefore, distraction of parties are not problem in community college. In a community college, everybody has drastic different goals and different paths of careers. There are people that want to transfer, and others that don't. At an universities, even though you have students with different majors, there are still things that unite people such as partying because of sorority or football games.

Matthew

The best thing about Hillsborough Community College is the unparalleled number of eager and superior-minded faculty members. I have personally become acquainted with a number of professors and developed personal relationships that will last for many years. All of the faculty members that I have come into contact with have a unique understanding of their students, and put forth their greatest efforts to help those students succeed in life. Small class sizes allow students to receive a personalized education for a more affordable experience than universities whose freshman and sophomore programs are likely inferior. Often, professors will distribute surveys to the students at the beginning of each semester so that they may cater their syllabus and assignments to the needs of each specific group of students. Over a two year period, I have been a full time student at HCC and have received over 60 credit hours. I found each one of the classes that I have taken to be exciting, fun, and interesting. Students are able to learn not just the basics of each discipline, but what they will be doing on the ground level on a day to day basis after they complete their education. At HCC, I was able to discover my purpose and decide what to do with the rest of my life.

Undoubtedly like other community colleges in the United States, Hillsborough Community College is falsely perceived by many of its students and others in the community as a "last choice" for those who want to receive a higher education. Many universities coexist in the immediate vicinity with HCC, so many HCC students consider themselves to be "leftovers." These notions are false. While HCC may be the last choice on the lists of certain students when they consider which institution they would like to attend, choosing HCC to begin one's academic career is an excellent choice to make. Hillsborough Community College is home to more than five campuses and a wide array of services available to its students. HCC has affordable student housing, an immense virtual library, and a wide array of academic programs for students to choose from. HCC is home to one of the best Honors Colleges in the country, and harbors an international program that not only sends students abroad for their studies, but actively seeks out international students to receive their education from this institution. HCC educates students from more than 130 countries, giving all of its students a unique and high quality educational experience.

Describe the dorms.

Unique to any community college is the fact that Hillsborough Community College is home to a student residence property. The property is called Hawks Landing, and features apartment style resident halls for more than 400 students. Hawks Landing boasts an extremely nice and well maintained swimming pool, a fitness room, a computer lab, and entertainment room fit with multiple television screens and video game consoles. Hawks Landing is a fully gated community staffed with multiple security guards at all times who monitor and enforce strict visitor and guest rules which keep Hawks Landing a safe place to live for its students. The staff includes an experienced leasing unit as well as a talented group of Resident Assistants. All of these work in conjunction to plan exciting activities for its residents and maintain a relatively high level of peace within its community.

I am involved with two major groups at Hillsborough Community College. The first group is the Honors Institute, which is an honors college within the school that provides a full academic curriculum for students who want an enhanced experience. This academic program is further enhanced by a social club which I believe may be unrivaled at any other community college in the nation. I have met other students who I consider to be my closest friends and who I will remain close to for years to come. I have shared more than just classroom seats with them, we have shared our lives throughout our sojourn at HCC. The Honors Institute also operates the second group I am involved in: a chapter of NSCS, a fantastic national honors organization, which takes the aforementioned honors experience and focuses it even more. Many activities that people would normally consider tedious such as community service and promotions become some of the most fun activities to engage in due to the high level of camaraderie felt within the group.

My personal academic experience at Hillsborough Community College has been superb. Every professor I have had the pleasure to study under knows me by my first name and also knows much about my personal life, goals, and ambitions. I have had the privilege to take part in unique classes such as a Cultural Anthropology class which allowed me to produce my own ethnography, to a specialized history course "Witchcraft and Popular Culture in Early Modern Europe," a class with little lecture and which consisted of graduate level reading, writing, and discussion. Many of the students that I have taken these classes with regularly engage in intellectual conversations both with the professors and among their peers. Students are encouraged to and often succeed at expanding their horizons; they learn how to be open-minded and look at the world through a new pair of glasses. Any student who receives their two-year degree at HCC will not only meet transfer requirements at the transcript level, but will be properly prepared to engage in upper level coursework at the university level.

Hillsborough Community College educates a wide array of students from many different countries, many different cultural backgrounds, and many different age groups. I have personally developed long lasting relationships and friendships with students from all over the world. I have been given many opportunities to help incoming students learn about the English language and the American culture, and in exchange I have pushed the boundaries of my own knowledge of the world one hundred fold. Because of the diverse array of people attending HCC, no student should feel left out if they are willing to reach their hand out to others. The faculty and staff mirror the ethnic diversity present at each campus, so students should feel comfortable in each classroom they become a part of.

Caramea

The college experience I gained in college was meeting new people and the teachers really care about you, that you should learn the new material that they discuss in class. I has been valuable for me to attend because i am a first generation family to go to college, and I am happy to go past graduating high school and continuing my education.

The classes, the teacher really helps you get a grasp on the subject you are learning.

Any person should or can attend this school, it doesn't matter what race you are, or what age you are. Anybody that has graduated from high school or has a GED can attend this school.

I can describe my classmates in one word, diverse. I do not think there is a better way to describe them. Not only are they diverse in race and nationality, but also in personality and style. It’s a beautiful sight just to be able to see such mixture in a classroom. Each student has different ideas, different perspectives, and different wisdom they can share with one another. If not abused, we can use that tool of diversity to truly learn great things from one another.

There is so much I have gotten out of this school and though I had my hard times, I can honestly say it has taught me a great amount of things and it was indeed worth it. HCC has taught me to see things from not my own eyes but through the eyes of others, and if I’m willing, I can learn from my peers. It has also taught me how to be patient, wise, and determined. Things will not always go my way and when that does happen I can either do one of a few things; complain, blame others and then give up or stop and think, allow it to be a lesson for me, and mature from it. The greatest thing that I learned from HCC is how to be a true leader. I can abuse the role of a leader by leading people astray, or I can honor that leadership role and be an influence to others. Now as I go on with my journey in life, wherever I go, I can always look back on these precious things I’ve learn and teach them to another as I continue to apply them to myself.

A person who shouldn’t attend this school is one that desires to do well but is easily influenced in a negative way. Unfortunately, though there is so much potential on this campus and amazing teachers as well, there are also numerous students who just take their education for granted. Even though I’m not a victim of this, I believe peer pressure can be an enormous hindrance to someone who just isn’t that strong minded. If a student desires to learn, but can easily get off track due to people then HCC wouldn’t be a wise choice.

Kimberly

I have learned so many things in college that are unlearnable in high school. Before college, I never really had to study because it was so easy. Now, considering i am the person paying for it, I am much more involved with how i spend my "school time". I believe that more students should have to make the best out of their habits before going to school so they actually learn more. It really would help out everyone.

It is an awesome program to be in and the financial aid is really helpful and college isnt that expensive.

bre-ana

So far out of my college career i have learned that the transaction is really up to you. You, yourself, really has to be the one that wants to go, no one can force you now. Once you are honest with yourself and see that college is a help to you the desire to learn is that much more intense. I believe the best way to start college is with classes you have a true interest in, nothing to hard yet nothing that will put you to sleep. if you like your classes and teachers the whole transition is that much more easier, but that is not a promise. Most teachers will use a syllabus; it tells you when and what is due this wil prepare you for what is to come. use this to your advantage, it saves you time and let's you get ahead while staying prepared. College alone says so many things about a person. In most cases you will sometimes end up with a better paying job. What ever you reason for going to college is just know that you have to be in it for your self, otherwise your just wasting time and money.

Hillsborough Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.