Hillsborough Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hillsborough Community College

Tristin

I am doing dual enrollment at this college, and overall, it's nice, for a community college. There aren't that many extracurricular activities, the students don't really communicate, and I find myself bored with how simple it is. I haven't been in on-campus housing, so I can't say anything about that.

ashley

I love the school. I am glad that I went there. Most of the teachers I have had are so nice and willing to help you along the way. Going to this community college first before a university was a great decision. The best part is that the class sizes are small and the school is very easy to get around. The school advising is okay but it is not hard to get what you are looking for.

Richard

Overall I think the school is nice & worth what you pay especially if you go for their A.S degrees in any of the Health Science departments. You get treated differently by staff & have your own personal administrative a & counselors plus the teachers are a lot more knowledgable since they are specific fields & become almost like friends.

destiny

its a great place to start off in college and get a feel to see if college is for you

Elijah

I like the college! It is currently my second year and it has been going well. I haven't had a professor that I don't like at the school. The students are also nice, some are very outgoing and some not so much. There are even events and activities that happen on campus too! Its great!

Katoreya

I believe that the campus is ok to be a community college. I've been to two campuses the Ybor and Dale Mabry, the Dale Mabry campus is bigger than the rest and has a variety of opportunities and more course. The professors are well educated and resourceful.

Teah

The professors I have this semester have very thick accents and are very hard to follow. Tutoring is open six days a week which is wonderful and greatly needed by all of the students. The library on the Brandon campus is very small and administration is so disorganized that they did not file my paperwork until I went in to remind them a month too late.

Gabrielle

It is a good decent size school. The class sizes aren’t very big so students can engage more with their classmates and their professor. They are also very generous with giving financial aid rewards and the semester costs are not overpriced like at many universities.

Raul

I have been attending HCC ever since I was Junior in high school thanks to a dual enrollment program my school offered, and before I set foot in my first class I was completely terrified like my first day of high school. But when I set foot in my first ENC 1101 class, no one laughed at me, gave me funny looks, I couldn't hear any murmurs about me when I sat down in my seat . For my first day / class in college, it wasnt as bad as I thought thanks to the small class size. Fast forward 3 years later and I have no major complaints about HCC, the classes feel right, the professors are friendly and always available, and I'm learning subjects that I actually care about.

Javier

I really like Hillsborough Community College. Classrooms are comfortable. I love that the classes have few students, which l think is better because it allows us to know each other. Professors can get to know their students too. I spend more than three hours a week in the library. It is so quiet and everybody is so helpful that I feel in a healthy educational environment.

Alisheia

It is a simple school i enjoy it the classes are easy teachers are very nice

Brittnae

Hcc is a good school they do actually care about your education

Kyle

Hillsborough Community College offers a wide variety of courses to students who can't afford to enroll into a University. Depending on who you choose as an instructor, you can receive an effective educational experience that can help provide you leverage of obtaining a bachelor's degree. The life of the Ybor City Campus is definitely worth the experience as you have the liberty to explore the city while waiting for your next class schedule. If you are currently going through a financial situation, you have the opportunity to earn the Pell Grant without having to owe money back. Just make sure to be on top of your college courses as one slip up can put you under a huge penalty. Overall the HCC helps students to maintain focus on their studies without any pressure of large size auditoriums with a large capacity crowd. Knocking out your required courses is an effective choice, so use HCC to your advantage on pursuing your bachelor's degree.

Krishna

I love this little school. The teachers, the guidance counselors, and the faculty are all extremely accessible. While the campus may lack certain things such as a cafeteria or a nurse's office, we are lucky to be located near facilities that make up for these short comings. The school is near several clinics and an emergency center. There are also a lot of hole-in-the-wall restaurants and chain restaurants within a 4-mile radius. HCC also has many events that enable the student to get involved with programs and clubs on campus (such as Collegiate 100). During some events, it provides information on how the student can better use HCC's amenities to further and better their education. I attend the Plant City campus at HCC, and it has single-handedly wiped away any fears I held about college. I was lucky enough to secure a work-study position in the student services center and I believe this to be one of the greatest decisions I've made here at this school. I've made so many friends and connections through my work that have helped me advance in my studies. I also feel that for the first time, I'm learning something. During high school, I dual-enrolled with Polk State College. There, I felt as if I was retaining information just to regurgitate it and then soon forget it. At HCC, I am learning new material that builds and completes whatever I learned in high school. Even better, I can actually see myself applying these newfound skills and ideas in my day-to-day life. Overall, I would recommend HCC to anyone considering community college before university. The school provides many ways to succeed (or find your way, as we like to say) in your education, followed by your career. This review doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the absolute love and admiration I have for this school, it's opportunities, it's administration, it's faculty, and it's students. Even if I don't win a scholarship with this review, I 'm glad I got to share my feelings on this amazing school.

Julia

Hillsborough Community College is an underrated establishment with a lot of potential. Through my two years, I've worked with brilliant professors that have helped me further become prepared in my preferred field of Curatorial Work. There are some aspects of the campus that could be improved; there could be healthier cafeteria options, and an attempt for better community outreach, with more events from local organizations. Although this institution was a transitional location for me to complete my general education credits, I enjoyed meeting intellectual professors who benefitted my knowledge on History for the better. Overall, I enjoyed going here, and am ecstatic to complete my degree at a state university.

Casey

It is a good school overall, but be careful of which professors you choose. It is a solid place to start and get your general education, and the school offers some really good specialized programs, like nursing, firefighting, and a veterinary technology program.

Sarina

This college is amazing and provides many opportunities to the determined students. there are multiple campuses and the Plant City one is the smallest and quietest, therefore easier to get a hold of the student services and to study last minute for an exam or quiz. Many field trips sponsored by SGA which are free to the students, just pay a deposit to hold your spot and you will get your money back on the day of the event.

Micaiah

Hillsborough Community College is a decent place to begin your degree if you plan on transferring or simple just want an Associate degree. There have been many improvements in the recent years that have made the various services and facilities more accessible/useful. I do recommend this college as an affordable option to begin or continue your academic goals.

Asiah

Hillsborough Community College is a safe and efficient small school that always gets the job done. I feel extremely safe and comfortable around my fellow peers and professors. Everything that a college student is looking is right in your vicinity. Food, malls, grocery stores, and post offices are either on campus or 10 minutes away tops! I love how small the student to professor ratios are. Classes are well organized and can give you a challenge.

HCC is a community college, so it doesn't have all the extracurriculars that a full time university has. That being said, the Dale Mabry campus has everything that you need, and the Ybor City campus has more of that "university" feel to it with tons of nightlife and daytime shopping and restaurants, and the trolley to go to the Channelside/Downtown area.

Heydi

Hillsborough Community College is a great school that gives students a kickstart into college. Whether or not a student knows what they truly want to become, Hillsborough Community College gives them a chance to explore while working toward their AA Degree which I think is very important. Finding out what we like and don't like.

Carl

It's a very small school, but it is very easy to meet new people all the time. HCC is a great school because the professors are always available to students and the class sizes are pretty small, so it'll be easy for a student to get more attention from the professor. The facilities such as the library all the way the the bathrooms are extremely clean and organized for students as well.

Riley

Very reliable and great for people just starting college! Anyone can get a degree here, the professors are willing to work with all backgrounds and cases. The professors are knowledgeable and start intellectual conversations and keep students engaged.

April

Personally, I have been going here on and off for a few years, everything is pretty average. but, as far as a starter campus I enjoy this college fully. The teachers are average, the bookstore is average, the two things i find that the school actually takes pride in, is the free tutoring they give to all of their registered students, and the counceling. The councelors have personally helped guide me through whta i should and should not do in a logical manner.

Holden

Hcc is awesome it's a great college that helps their students exceed in life. Hcc is a college that does a lot to make sure their students are successful with the professors always there for the students and staff. Hcc is only going to get better with the resources they provide.

Andres

HCC isn't a bad college because the professors are there for you when you need help. If they aren't in campus one email to them they respond quick. The class sizes aren't too big or small. So you can actually know everyone's name by the end of the semester. I can tell you HCC isn't too expensive. Very affordable college and you can save a ton of money for when you or if you want to transfer .

gloria

Hillsborough community not like any other community school. They make you feel welcome, Also there's many things you can do around the school area. They have sports as well ass events they have at the school also at the school housing. I would recommend people to attend year.

Donna

It is fine for a community college. The Dale Mabry Campus is clean and nice. I am not impressed with advising, but the classes have been well taught. I did notice that the curriculum of some of the classes are too liberal in nature even though they claim to be neutral. Different local campuses offer different social opportunities, which is nice.

Brenda

Hillsborough community college is a great school to attend, it has been an exciting year and a half. The classes are fairly small and all most of the teachers are very attentive and available. There are multiple locations located for the students convenience.

Hillsborough Community College is a very clean, easy going, and friendly institution. The advisors were extremely helpful, as were all the other faculty and staff in the advising office. The professors at HCC are professional, understanding, and very well versed in their field of study. Class sizes tend to be smaller making discussions more in depth and enjoyable. My entire experience at HCC was great, and i would recommend anyone go there.

Derrick

They are a great college to achieve a 2 year degree. I have no complaints except for how slow their financial aid office is.

Cristina

Overall, I love HCC. The class sizes are perfect, campus amenities are easily assessabl, and festers are down to earth and easy to reach.

Alejandra

It's a great place to start and they have really good programs to help you when you are done with your two years there. The only thing I do not like is the advisers at my campus. I speak with an adviser from Ybor, provided by the program Fuse. HCC reminds me a lot of high school which could be a good or bad thing depending on ​how you look at it.

Jada

I actually enjoyed going to HCC. I love how the classes are small and you can talk to your professor one on one when you need to. I like how they would sometimes have free events such as giving out food. I like how free you are. There were plenty times where we were able to leave class early because the teacher didn't have anything else to teach. I mean, who doesn't like to leave class early? If I could redo some things while attending HCC I would.

Donaven

Hillsborough Community College is a decent facility for early education. I wouldn't recommend it as a college to attend over most universities. However, it's a good place to go if you're looking to get your basic credit classes out of the way before heading to a university. The classes are generally easy to get through and the atmosphere is mostly positive, both in and out of class.

Kathy

Hillsborough Community College has five campuses. I attend the Dale Mabry Campus. HCC Dale Mabry is a beautiful campus with class sizes less than 25 students. The professors are friendly and accessible. Academics are primary at this campus with five organizations to promote it including Arete, PTK, NSCS, Honors, and Psi Beta, to name a few. There are fun activities on campus almost weekly, including volleyball, tennis, baseball, and soccer. Classes are offered in the daytime and evenings making it very convenient for non-traditional students as well as younger folks starting while in high school. I think HCC is the best that money can buy and the cost is lower than most higher places of learning. Earning an Associate's Degree at HCC is an obtainable goal with academic excellence.

Ciara

Hillsborough Community College, if judging by the standard of community colleges and not by all forms of higher education, is a fairly good school. I've heard from a lot of students that they don't like it, but their major reason is that it feels like a high school. I will admit that I can see why they feel that way; the classes are small and when you're just getting your general education credits out of the way, it can feel as if you're just idly passing time like you did back in high school. However, there are many pros to Hillsborough Community College as well. The student government at the Brandon campus works hard to make the college experience a little more fun. I was able to go to the Salvador Dali museum for free thanks to the student government; they even covered lunch expenses. They're always hosting free meal events and other fun events at the school; it really livens up the time you spend between classes. Their library is plain but nice; I prefer it over either of the public libraries in the area. The Dale Mabry campus is excellent as well. It's larger and has more to offer in the way of the arts. There's an art gallery there with one permanent and one rotating exhibit; it's inspiring to see a community college invest in the arts like that. I don't think I would have gotten back into drawing had it not been for the art class I took there. The best part of this school has to be the professors. Some are just there to teach, but there are a select few who changed the course of my life. Professor John Hardin changed my worldview and opened my mind; he seems harsh but he's full of compassion for what he teaches. He encourages his students to really think critically. Professor Jaremy Shelton was a fairly new professor, and yet he did such a great job. The lessons he taught both within and outside of the curriculum had real-world application; I've never seen someone talk about politics in such an objective yet respectful manner, while still subtly making his personal views known. He had great criticisms and analysis of our political system, and like Hardin he encouraged his students to think for themselves. Professor John Van Dyke had the biggest impact on me. In him I found both a professor and a friend. He encouraged me and gave me confidence in my writing that I never had before, but he didn't sugarcoat things. He would always tell me how to improve my writing. In the two semesters I had with him, I transitioned from a theology major to a creative writing major, something I never would have seen coming five years ago. I'm very grateful for him and his classes; I wouldn't have realized my true passions without them. My main complaint about Hillsborough Community College would have to be the administration. They are sloppy, and where they should have been taking away my stresses, they only added more. I would find myself back at the office so many times, not because I would encounter new issues but because it took multiple tries to resolve the same ones. Those at the front desk are fine and helpful, but if what you need help requires more than what they can do, then you're in for a lot of frustration and wasted time. Overall, I still love this school and I enjoyed my two-and-a-half years there.

It's a pretty good school, I went there while still in high school (through my school's collegiate academy) and everyone made me feel welcome. It made my first few years of college seem like a breeze. Everyone is very helpful and friendly and the academics are perfect.

Jayliene

I love HCC for basic curricular activities and studies. They have a variety of campuses that focus on separate studies and majors. Some are more modernized than others, never less it's a great school with great personable professors which make to easier for students transition out from high school. They have a wonderful faculty who really are intentional and focused on teaching their students.

Reese

This college is very hands-on and friendly. The staff is excellent with assistance, and my grades are easily considered a top priority. The professors are very friendly and quick to help you solve any problems you face. This is a great two-year collage.

maria

Having come from a different community college I found Hillsborough Community College to be a wonderful refreshing change for me the professors and advisors are always available and return your calls or email in a timely manner. The campus is clean and safe to be around. I have found everyone to be respectful.

morgan

I believe Hillsborough Community College is overall a good school. It has helped me adapt to the college life without over whelming me. It is a small enough school where you do not feel lost or like you cannot find where to go. It is overall easy to navigate. The class sizes are great, and for me they make it easier to learn. I find I do better when the class sizes are smaller. The school itself is clean and nice. The sports at HCC are great, and they offer many other out of school activities to keep you involved.

Savannah

I go to the HCC in Ybor, Tampa, FL. The students there are very nice and helpful, whenever I get lost I`m not afraid to ask someone nearby for directions. My classes aren`t too big and my teachers always make it clear when we can ask questions or see them after classes. There aren`t many clubs but the clubs that are there are a lot of fun!

Lisha

Hillsborough Community College prepared me to succeed at the university level. The small classes offered a comfortable learning environment and increased access to receiving help from professors. I acquired study habits and a strong foundation of skills essential to becoming a university student.

Sydni

The professors of Hillsborough Community College are overall excellent. These professors are people I can build relationships with and help me with my academic success and career goals. I enjoys the individual clubs on each campus giving them their own unique charm. There are fairly well workers of student services, however, it is best to keep track of your progress to graduation on your own and be able to make sure that you receive second opinions from other advisers and staff. Overall, Hillsborough Community College is not the best but this school will help you get from this initial location to a university.

Darryl

It was a long road but I made it

Shelby

Hillsborough community college an awesome first step for students

Kaitlyn

This is a really great school to attend! It really prepares you a lot before you can go into a 4 year University! The professors are always willing to provide help and there’s even tutors who provide more assistance. The students here are kind and always willing to learn and help others!

Thurben

I love the overall atmosphere of the school, and everyone is willing to help you grow. There are many activities that a student could partake in to expand the view of the world. The teachers are great and are willing to go the extra mile to help you out. Lastly i personally think it is one of the coolest college campuses i have ever been to.

Tyler

A school with a great atmosphere, and opportunities. Going here has allowed me to open my eyes to a whole new perspective of life. So far all of my professors have help guide me in the right direction , teaching me things I never knew before. I look forward to continuing my education at Hillsborough Community College.