Geneva, NY
Hobart William Smith Colleges

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hobart William Smith Colleges

Alexia

HWS is a community. The professors know the names of their students, the students know the names of everyone in their residential building, and no building is more than a 15 minute walk away. The intercampus connections are almost as good as the connections between current students and alumni. Hundreds of HWS almumni have committed themselves to helping current students and future graduates find their place in the real world. The HWS community is the school's best factor during a student's four enrolled years and after.

Dear Alexia Sereti of May 2014, Congratulations on choosing a Hobart and William Smith Colleges! I know... you're currently terrified that you chose the wrong school. You're worried that you won't fit in, that you aren't academically prepared enough to thrive in a college setting, and that the student loans you're bound to rack up by 2018 won't be worth the experience that HWS can offer. It’s normal to be nervous, but I’ll tell you why you don’t need to be. The key to having an amazing college experience, wherever you go, is being open to the unfamiliar. Your goal during these four years should be to learn and grow, not to prove yourself. Approach every opportunity you are presented with as a chance to learn something new about the world and about yourself. If you go into college this coming Fall with an open mind, there is no way you will regret your decision. - Alexia Sereti of December 2014

I definitely brag about how much personal attention HWS students get from their professors. I was recently ill and my professors went above and beyond to help me get through my first semester and regain my health as smoothly as possible. Thanks to them, I was able to stay in school, finish the semester with a 4.00, and make it home for winter break in a healthy state.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd say, "Lauren, quit being so nervous." I realize it takes some time for everyone to get comfortable in their new surroundings, but there is a marked difference between that first year feeling of "I'm new and everyone knows it" and that college senior feeling of "I own this place, I'll do as I please, and I don't really care too much about what other people think." Guess what, high school senior me, no one really knows what year you are in college (unless you always wear your High School Senior Class t-shirt). I'd tell myself to be myself, not be afraid to laugh at the professors' jokes, and not to worry so much. Be one of the freshmen everyone thinks is a senior because you're so comfortable with yourself and who you are. Also, allow yourself to grow and change, because honestly I think that's one of the most important parts of college - growing up and setting the stage for who you're going to be when you get out.

As a tour guide, I always told the people on my tours the worst things about my school was the wind. I wasn't lying. The thing that annoyed me the most was when it would be so incredibly windy.

The beautiful campus. The Quad is huge and there are always people on it. The campus is right on a lake that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Kelly

There are very few large classes. I never took a class with more that 40 students, and most of my classes had 5-18 students. Because of the small size, everone recognizes every other student on campus by sight, if not by name. I have been approached by fellow students and alumni/ae in many different places, even in other states!

Going to HWS is the best decision you have every made. The biggest thing that would help with the transition is speaking extensnively about scholarships and other financial aid that you might be eligible for from HWS besides the standard federal aid and HWS Grant.

kristen

very focused, intelligent, and hardworking, everyone is very polite, and basically nice down to earth people.

I have been able to mature into the best person that I can be. My college believes in giving back, working to help in the community and to protect the global community we live in. So while taking courses that I am interested in and seeing events both locally and globally , I have been able to volunteer to teach schoolchildren the importance of recycling, help clean up a local riverbank and collect trash from the local park. I have been exposed to arts, dance, politics and most of all shown how and why I should be active in all of these endovers. I have made life long friends in my roommates and teammates and now have the skill to get along in our very diverse population. I love William Smith College!

classes are very small, and the professors actually care about your learning.

Nicholas

The students in the entering class of 2013 at Hobart and William Smith Colleges make up a diverse group of young people that come from many different social classes of society that all seem to effectively use the educational resources that the school has to offer.

If i had the option of returning to my High School senior year, I would do many things differently. As a senior, I applied to schools based on reputation, online reviews about the shool, and personal opinions from friends and families. These schools were small private colleges that essentially offered the same experience. In order to save time and money, I did not visit the schools until i knew i was accepted, and had a chance of attending. Looking back, I wish that i had never based my decision on other's opinions. The college experience is a personal one that differs for each person and i regret not realizing this a year ago. Also, i would have kept more options open and wish that i had not limited myself of options, and that i applied to a variety of schools. When making the transition to college life, i learned to just be myself, and let others accept me for who I am. Do not let others affect who you are as a person and alter the way you live your life. Each individual is unique and different and a new setting and group of faces should not change that.

The best thing about Hobart and William SMith Colleges is how approachable and friendly the faculty and staff are and how as a student, you really feel as though they care a great deal about your education.

Katie

My school is very well known for their abroad program, which is very large for the size of Hobart and William Smith. The abroad opportunites are endless. The students are strongly advised to take advantage of the study abroad. I went to Copenhagen, Denmark and had the time of my life. Not only was I able to learn so much about a foreign culture, but I also learned so much about myself as a person and I became very independent. My abroad experience has forever shaped my life and it is something I will never forget.

I would tell myself to be more open to change and allow myself to get more involved in campus activities. Meet as many people as I can and know that I will not be best friends with everyone. I would tell myself to get to know the professors very well. At Hobart and William Smith College the professors really care about you as a student and they want to see you succeed. Begin to develop relationships with them early and take advantage of their office hours. In college you will figure out who you are as a person. Many challenges will come your way, do not back down from them, they will most likely become the best things you have ever done. Let go of high school quickly, but keep the memories always and never let go of your best friends. If you keep your mind open and never be afraid to try something new, college will be the best time of your life and it will be an experience you will never forget.

The class size at Hobart and William Smith is very small which allows for more interaction with your professor. More interaction allows one to develop strong relationships with your professor, which enhances your learning and desire to learn. The school overrall is small which allows for a person to create an identity for themselves and not just get lost in the masses. This helps one with their self-confidence. Also the location of the school is very beautiful located on a lake and in a very safe environment with little or no crime.

Danielle

My classmates are very liberal; they are open to many different, interesting things.

The advice I would give myself about transitioning to college would be "no matter what, do not procrastinate." It is so easy for students to get carried away with time for important class assignments, and there is nothing more stressful than running out of time to complete an assignment. I personally loose track of time for assignments that may make or break my final grade. Procrastinating is a serious problem that many students face, and it is hard to break the cycle once it is started. I wish I would have taught myself time management, and I would have learned how to exercise the need to prioritize. I think that having a planned schedule for papers, and readings would help me defeat my issue with procrastination. If I could go back in time, as a high school senior, I would purchase a planner for myself. I would use the planner religiously to ensure that I kept track of everything required of me.

I brag about the fact that my school is great with networking. The alumi organization is extremely strong. If a student needs an internship with a business or company where an alum works, chances are they're getting it! I also brag aboutt the fact that Hobart and William Smith Colleges is a very beautiful campus. The school takes pride in the scenary, and upholds a gorgeous campus.

Aviva

There are things that we all revert to when we are feeling unsure, or disoriented by being in a new place, whether it be a certain book, a certain food, or maybe a certain attitude. During my transition from high school to college, my default reaction to change turned out to be the adoption of a certain despondent, pensive mood. I suddenly became very introverted, exiling myself from normal social activity with my oldest friends, and had only the desire to think, and observe. It was as though i wanted to crystallize what the last 17 years of my life had meant, and make some sort of sense of it before falling into the fathomless abyss of the future that would begin with my first day at college. Looking back, i regret that i was quite so serious about this transition. I still think it is a change that should be taken with gravity, yet also with joy. What i didn't realize the summer before departure was that it was not a one-way train leading into dark, unknown territory that i was boarding, but rather a magnificent locomotive meant to carry me through a magnificent life.

The most outstanding feature of Hobart and William Smith colleges is undoubtedly the sincere, unwavering support that the administration offers their students in guidance in academic, social, and professional spheres. The faculty are enthusiastic about their work and this genuine engagement actively inspires their students to do their best, and pursue their interests. The overall environment of the school is defined by the close-woven, welcoming community that makes it up, and the encouraging atmosphere makes a true difference in the ambition and achievement of the students. It is a small school with a big heart.

One of the biggest challenges in adjusting to college life for me was simply learning to relax around the new people i found myself surrounded by. It is difficult to prepare yourself ahead of time for something which you have not yet experienced, but it would have been helpful for me to enter with a slightly more open mind. it is natural to be apprehensive at the start of a new experience, but if i could go back in time I would tell myself "Calm down. take a breath. Everyone is in the same boat, so relax."

1) Be the big fish in the small pond. An employer will not care what size college a prospective hire attended. He/she is much more concerned with what the person accomplished as a student/ how involved the person was as a community member. 2) Do not immediately settle into a specific career path unless it is absolutely necessary. Focusing on pre-med or teaching as a primary background will limit ultimate opportunities. Your interests and desires will undoubtedly change over the next four years. 3) Step outside of your comfort zone. This is one of the best (and last) opportunities you will have to experiment with new activities, meet new people, and study new subjects. Who knows who or what you may connect with? You certainly will not know unless you try. 4) It is much better to get a "B" in a class by truly engaging in the topic than to get an "A" by cramming and cutting corners. Your GPA might look better but you wil not retain any of the information from the course. For the most part, as long as your GPA is higher than a 3.0, you will find occupational success.

Easy access to resources, opportunities to try new activities, diverse course selection with minimal prerequesites

Students very interested in theater or performance (there are no sufficient concert halls/theaters), Anti-Liberal Arts (huge emphasis on multi-dimensional learning), those looking for a very urban environment, those who do not like the cold.

Jamie

It's located on a lake and has a great physical environment. The school is very school spirited with very strong sports teams...

Students and Parents -- I'd highly advise you both to visit the campus together, have a tour as well as attend a sporting event just to see how the campus interacts with one another. Playing a college sport definitely heightened my experience so if you are on the fence about that I'd highly advise you to do it. Although it's hard to balance academics and sports, the experience is extremely rewarding allowing you to meet some great friends, keep your academic life focused and have fun playing your sport!

Someone who is looking for a large school with very big class sizes

Hobart William Smith Colleges administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.