Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Shannon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax a little bit and live in the moment. In high school, I was so focused on how I looked on paper that I tended to neglect my social life. Now that I am in college, while I am maintaining a 3.58 GPA, I struggle to find a happy medium between having a healthy social life and being appropriately studious, especially now that I have so much freedom. Additionally, I would advise my high school self to stop being to reliant upon my former teachers and college counselors to present me to applications and deadline reminders because after graduation, I would be on my own.

A person who is quiet, reserved, and unmotivated may want to rethink his or her decision to attend. Hofstra is for repsonsible young men ad women who are going to confidently pursue their goals and be proactive.

Generally speaking, in college it is especially important that an individual be proactive. Hofstra University is a relatively large campus and there is not anybody around to hold your hand and guide you to various activities fairs and lead you to job opportunities. It is the responsibility of the student to be persistent and repeatedly call offices and meet with teachers if they want something. Other than that, I am thoroughly satisifed with my choosing Hofstra University.

Cyndi

My classmates vary depending on what class I am in: if it's a major class, they're all extremely dedicated, driven, hardworking, and sociable, however if it's a gen ed class, they tend to be dispondent.

To be honest, anyone can attend this school. We have such a diverse student body. I would say the only thing you need is an open mind, because you're going to be hearing a lot of different ideas in your classes and with conversations with new friends

There will be a lot of changes, both inside you and outside of you. Breathe, and roll with the punches. Take yoga: it sounds silly, but it really is helpful for your stress level and your weight. Do not let the negative people you encounter influence you and change you. Change for the better, not the worse. Those negative people aren't always enemies: more often than not, they can be friends too. Have a good time, but don't be stupid about it. Stop hating your body: turns out, the weight issue isn't your fault, it's a medical issue you were doomed to have once your parent's combined chromosomes to make you. Therefore, it's out of your control. I know it's hard, but learn to love your body, because you won't be subject to a Freaky Friday-esque body switching phenemenon with Scarlett Johanssen any time soon. Who you are attracted to does not dictate who you are: like everything, it's a part of the whole person. You are talented, and are worthy of good, which is something you will still struggle with,but know that. One day, you will believe it.

Ethan

Senior college student me is much more aware of impending financial complications of schooling (loans) than senior high school student me. I've always realized that I could cull some kernel of insight from my classes, including during high school - there was not so much an academic catalyst for my current learning rather than another impetus. The real burr that burrowed into my buttocks and inspired to set myself straight was the creeping awareness of what weight money matters have. Negligence of payments for school expenses left me feeling dirty and destitute - no food as the meal plan is forfeited, concentration taken off of classes and put to scrounging for free food. Survival is made priority one. Times when I had a full stomach I could focus on final papers - but try academic success without any nourishment! What a boon loans are in those moments, sating the ravenous belly! However, I am shrewd enough now to understand loans will turn around and become debts themselves, relegating me to survival mode the same as unpaid tuition. Past me: be keenly aware of what those seemingly intangible fees render on your precious mind and body; stay resolute and get scholarships.

The best thing about Hofstra University is that it provides many places for student congregation - inside and outside. This includes the library, which is very inviting and therefore encourages study in those who like to be surrounded by other sedulous students for their knowledge cultivation environment. The campus greens on the south side of campus are also very conducive for a languid study session during the spring and early fall semester. Dining and lounge areas are ideal for hang-outs. Shuttle bus services also allow meet-ups in the city, which is an excellent place to experience.

That some scholarships were freshman-only, that it is more inviting than the brochures illustrate, that it's meals are expensive, and that the academic atmosphere during finals is the only notable time that spurs everyone to their academic potential (or to the cramming that manages poorly for long-term recall) and therefore that that time of the semester is the only that draws me to my studying prime (which I personally dislike),

Elysha

Hofstra is a small, preictable school that although decent, is extremely expensive.

Hofstra is GREAT for those who are interested in greek life and enjoy the party scene.

To the me of long ago, Stay true to yourself. Oh, how cliché, but what a truth nonetheless! In college, you will find yourself in every situation imaginable. Don’t forget who you are and what you stand for. People, clubs, friends, and teachers will try to influence you in one way or another. Listen intently and hear what they have to say, then retain the nuggets of wisdom and proceed as your heart and values prompt. Although you will encounter individuals who are different than you or may have drastically opposite views, always be open. Every single person you encounter has something to offer. Whether they are sharing a piece of information, or even just teaching you patience, remain open minded in every circumstance. Use every interaction to grow as a person. In college, you are not only expected to mature academically, but you are also expected to develop your emotional and cultural capabilities. Use these interactions to grow in these areas every day. College will be an exciting and challenging place. Embrace what you are about to experience.

Angelika

I find the worst thing about my university is that there is no academic help center with professional staff available durung "normal school hours",only graduate or undergraduate students as tudors and is only available i during the evening hours.

I wish i would have known that the professors go very quickly over material and that you have to teach yourself .

Victoria

My classmates are unique and different in their own way.

My classmates are unique and different in their own way.

A person who should attend this school should be someone who is willing to advocate for themselves.

Seeing myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself would be the following. To hold on as much as you can with the assignments, the tasks and the expectations of others. The journey may be rough and sometimes even unbearable but it is worth it. With hardwork, dedication and persistence it is worth it. It may seem as though teachers are being hard on you when in actuality they only see your potential and only see your best.

Gillie

To be honest, I was really nervous to head off to school for the first time. Not the 'I wonder what grade I'm going to get on the quiz' nervous, but more like 'this is the biggest decision of my adolescent life and I hope I didn't mess it up' kind of nervous. I knew why I chose my school: a nice scholarship, right location, good program, etc., but suddenly, in the days before heading to school suddenly everything seemed to be in peril: why didn't I just save money by going to a state school? Why did I a University so far from home? What if I didn't like my major anymore then what would I do. Luckily for me, all those fears and nerves were put to sleep when I came to Hofstra. While it's not the school for everyone, so far I've had the best 4 months of my life. The campus is beautiful and just small enough so you always see friendly faces on the way to class, but just large enough so you don't know everyone and their business. Though the surrounding city of Hempstead isn't much by way of a college town, and can be dangerous and different parts, the town next door, Garden City is very beautiful and has plenty of little shops, restaurants, and one of the biggest malls in America. Also, our school is about an hour trip into the city, making New York accessible for fun on weekends or any necessary trips during the week. The one major thing I could complain about in regards to my school is a slight lack of school pride. Since the football team was abolished due to budgetary restrictions sports aren't a huge part of campus life. Because we don't have that united sports atmosphere, there are definitely many people who could be more prideful about our school. Overall, the academics are good with many programs for many different degrees, allowing people to pursue all different interests. I'm so glad I chose Hofstra University where I've met some of the best people and had some of the best moments of my entire life.

Since Hofstra has a relatively smaller campus, it's easy to get involved and be aware of the various activities happening on campus. While our football team was shut down due to budget, there are still other major campus sports such as Lacrosse and Basketball that the school goes out to cheer for. There are multiple sororities and fraternities on campus but for the most part they aren't all that loud or prevalent in the student body. For my major, journalism, there's the student-run newspaper, The Chronicle, which any one can contribute to, and the ed2010 magazine journalism club, as well as the PRSSA Public relations club which all aid to help students find internships and jobs after school. For performance groups the school has multiple choirs as well as 3 a'cappella groups that are relatively exclusive audition groups, as well as the Masquerade Musical Theatre club which puts on a musical each semester, the Spectrum Players that put on a play, and many dance groups including Dance Works. There are a number of philanthropic groups on campus and it's easy to get involved, and to try things out to find your niche. Over the weekend, there are typically multiple parties at the nearby frat houses which are a walking distance from the dorms, or some people go the nearby bars Dizzy's and McHebes. People who aren't interested in partying or drinking on the weekends often go into New York city to go see shows, museums, concerts, etc. Or for something more local, head to the nearby movie theaters or mall in Garden City. There are always events going on with speakers or performances by the clubs on campus. Hofstra throws a fall festival every year with big name performers and a large carnival, last year drawing in Rick Ross, Joan Jett, Salt 'n pepa, and Taking Back Sunday. Also, Hofstra has now been chosen twice for the Presidential debate, with the next one occuring next fall on campus. There's typically a lot going on and many ways to meet people if you're willing to put yourself out there and try out some different campus activities.

Hofstra is a very liberal school. The majority of the student body is democratic or a liberal independent. Though we do have a College Republicans organization on campus with a fair following, if you come to this school expecting a balanced political climate, you'll be in for quite a shock. Other than being very liberal politically, our campus also has a large LGBT community and is the most LGBT-friendly school on Long Island, with the majority of the population supporting gay rights and equality. In terms of dress and interaction, the students here dress like any other college campus in America. Some wear sweats and uggs to class, others dresses and heels. The environment here isn't very cliquey, however there are some distinct geographic groups. A large chunk of our campus are commuters from the nearby Long Island areas, then there's the new yorkers and New Jerseyans, the large chunk from the nearby Eastern states of Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, etc. And the rest of the country, the group that I'm in--coming from Colorado. Before coming here, reading reviews I saw many complaints about the "entitled" population here due to the cost of the school. However, most of the kids I've met are on scholarship with student loans, just like any other school. While there are some individuals who act more entitled than others, they don't make up a prevalent chunk of the population. In general, the school is very diverse and politically aware, making it an interesting place to learn about others and expand your horizons.

The Academic aspect of our school really varies in quality with each teacher, as I think it does at all Universities. Most of my classes are small, allowing the teacher to know everyone and for the class as a whole to bond. I have one class that is slightly larger (around 30 people) in which the professor doesn't really know anyone and not too many people actually talk to each other. I'm in the honors college at Hofstra, meaning as a Freshman I take two specifically honors classes which are taught mostly by deans and other higher up professors who introduce you to many classic works which is definitely useful. My honors classes do tend to be a little more involved and insightful than my regular questions, but that doesn't mean that every class doesn't have many insightful people in them. Also, I'm a journalism major which is a fairly large department on campus. While I haven't started any of my actual journalism classes yet (as those typically are taken sophomore year on), the department has already been great to be involved with. With the Hofstra Chronicle and the Ed2010 club, it's easy to get involved with other people interested in your career on campus. Also, the journalism department is very encouraging of its students to get internships and is very helpful in doing so. The academic requirements, especially for people on scholarship are higher, but nothing that can't be accomplished with a fair effort. Hofstra definitely wants its students to get a well-rounded education, but it's also very, very career oriented, trying to make sure every student will have a job after graduation. Though there are definitely some professors that are generally lesser-liked by the student population, there are also many caring and passionate adults who are willing to help you succeed if you put in the work to do so.

When people first hear I go to school on Long Island, they typically conjure up bad accents, Jersey shore wannabes, and bad fake tans. And rest assured, we have our fair share of those. However, the majority of the population doesn't fit this mold, as varied as any other campus in it's types of people. I can't say I was immune to this stereotype when I first chose to go to Hofstra either. I was a little frightened, coming from the pasty state of Colorado, that I would arrive into a sea of orange skinned, tall haired, Snookie idolizers. My friends, my family, and even one of my teachers--who actually said to me on the last day "now don't go get all long island on me"--taunted me that I was going to go away and come back with a lahhhng iiisland accent and a new, more florescent skin tone. However, the guido/guidette population here is at a minimum, most people are normal kids, and the closest most of my fellow students have gotten to the Jersey Shore is through their televisions on Thursday nights. While there is the occasional Snookie poof or lahng island vernacular, for the most part the population of our campus is the same as any other college campus, and I can proudly go home to Colorado as a proud non-sterotypical Long Islander.

Meaghan
Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports are popular to some extent. Basketball games are pretty big and there are a few other really good programs on campus like wrestling, roller hockey, baseball, cheerleading and dance. There's almost always some kind of game to attend if you are a big sports fan. Keep up with the schedule and you're bound to find something going on.

There's so many different groups, clubs, organizations and teams to chose from on campus. I'm on the cheerleading team here. I cheer for men and women basketball games this year. The only thing that sucks about the fall is there is no longer a football team here. But the cheer team is still a ton of hard work yet still fun. Being involved helps you make friends and find people you can really trust on campus. Dorming is good too. I live in a suite style and love my roommate and suite mates, they're actually some of my best friends. We always go out together, whether is a Tuesday night at the bar or we're just going to get dinner. They're seriously the best. But there's lots of other ways to meet people. The bars, the library, the gym, just be willing to talk to anyone. Or the games. Basketball games are pretty big here and baseball is in the spring. Many of the kids on the baseball team are in frats too. Greek life is pretty popular, but if you aren't in it it's not going to be the end of the world. There's plenty of people who don't participate in Greek life. If you're trying to get off campus for a little while, the Roosevelt Field Mall is about 5-10 minutes away, so close. There's a ton of places to eat and hang out. Plus, the city is only a 35 minute train ride. Me and my friends go in a lot. Its always fun to go into the city especially during Christmas season with all the lights.

Love the academics here. All of my professors know my first and last name. They are all great and really want you to do well here. I enjoy all of my classes because I actually took the time to research the professors and the course to make sure I would like it. Some are a lot of work, but it's college. If you think you're going to get by without pulling at least one all nighter you're wrong. Students here study all of the time, especially the week before and during finals week, the library and hammer are packed. Depending on the class, participation can play a major role in your grade but the professor will make this known. Like in my History of the Holocaust class. It's discussion based so obviously participation is a huge part. I'm a journalism major and love it. The courses are great and everyone in the department is awesome, then again it is one of the better programs here. You'll get the education you work for. If you spend time and speak with professors outside of the classroom then you're going to get so much more of out it. Whether you want the education for your own sake or for getting a job is up to you, regardless if you put the effort in you will be successful.

There's such a variety of students on campus. They range from super religious to every night partiers, literally. There are so many different groups and clubs to join too. Honestly, I can't really picture anyone being completely out of place here. Hofstra has their jocks, nerds, international students, punk rockers and everything in-between. Generally, students dress in whatever they want when they go to class. There are some people that like to get up and get ready and there are some kids who roll out of bed and go to class in their sweats. Most students that I've encountered have been from Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and California. Most of these students, are pretty well off financially, but there are a good number of students here on scholarships and the university is pretty good about giving money to those who need it.

My classmates are a mix of people who take class seriously and people who don't.

The most difficult struggle I faced during my first year in college was the transition of being alone. I have always been independent, but never alone. It was difficult because I decided attend a school 5,000 miles away from my home and felt too shy and intimidated to open up to anyone. Looking back on it, I would have told myself as a high school senior to be more open with people and situations. I disagreed with the “college life” of partying, and now I just accept it for what it is. Not everyone partakes in it. Also, being friendly with others by striking up a casual conversation will not hurt. Having acquaintances is better than having no friends at all. And if people are mean, what ultimately matters is that you are not. If people look at you judgingly, never take it personally because in actuality, everyone is equal. I had a miserable freshman year out of the fear of not being accepted by others. I learned that if you accept others, more likely than not, they will accept you. No one should go through college feeling alone. Be the better person and embrace meeting new people.

A person who lives in the area of Long Island or surrounding states should attend this school.

Tabatha

Professors know my name! Classes are never too big unless it's one of those general classes, like chemistry. But even so professors still remember you. My favorite class so far was Ethics. I only took it to fulfill a requirement but I loved it and am now minoring in philosophy! My least favorite class has been writing. There is a 2 semester writing course requirement here which sucks but as soon as you finish your freshmen year you do not have to take anymore writing classes if you pass the proficiency exam. Students are always studying, either in the library or the computer lab which is open 24/7. Class participation is common in every class I am in. I often over hear students having intellectual conversation outside of class! Students here are pretty competitive, especially the ones in my classes, since I am taking pre-med requisites. It really depends on your major as well. This school is a huge business school so there is definitely competition there. The most unique class I have taken is Sikh Mysticism. It is very interesting and not really studied in many schools. My new major is health science (I used to be biology, but switched because I wasn't too happy with all the work). The health science department is great. They are relatively new so they are doing many things to make their department bigger. It is becoming more popular here. I love the major because the classes I'm taking is relevant to what I want to do in the future. I do spend time with professors outside of class, during office hours if I need it. They usually all have open schedules. Some of the school's academic requirements make me mad because I do not want to do them, but I understand that it is for students to get a well rounded academic background. I believe that the education in this school is geared toward learning for it's own sake. There are many different classes you could take that vary in many topics and there are many majors and minors! The professors are interested in what they teach and it is a school that cares about it's students. :)

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.