Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Vibrant, big but not humongous, fast-paced university, a place where you can achieve your goals but still make friends for li...

Vibrant, big but not humongous, fast-paced university, a place where you can achieve your goals but still make friends for life.

My advice would be to both students and parents is to think about the cost of attendance, the ratio of teachers to students, what the college offers to you and your family, academics, social life, and basically all of the things that make college. Don't rush the process because college is a vital stage in life that should be taken seriously and what the things you do and experience there shapes who you become in the future.

I wish I would have known how to manage my financial aid because I still have problems with that part of attending college.

Sheryl

People are always proud and encouraging when I tell them i go to Hofstra, of course those who are not from NY won't know about Hofstra. There is a lot of school pride. I must say even those of us who usually don't care much about the school we go to express pride in our school.

to some extent, yes, but it's true for any college.

Hofstra students don't study, all they do is party.

Professors on the whole are great. My favorite class was a bore for many but I made it interesting and the other students loved the professor, just not economics. Students are competitive but will help each other. The requirements are fair and are not too hard to satisfy.

Alex

The girls are all very good looking but not all are barbie doll look-a-likes and not in sororities. The guys are just a bit more macho than others I guess but the myth about frat's ruling the school is not true, guys at Hofstra simply likse being in them.

Some stereotypes are that all teh girls at Hofstra are these really high maintence barbie doll like type grls and the guys are all guidos. It's all said that Fraterneties and sororities rule the school.

Mike

Hofstra is a great campus. It is beautiful and not that big. Everything you could want can be found within 10 miles of campus. Every chain restaurant you could think of is around campus. Student accounts is horrible because it is worse than the DMV. You wait for a long time because the employees do not do there job the best they can do. As long as you do not have to deal with them the experience is good.

Most students are from a wealthy background and drive their BMW's and Mercedes' that their daddy's bought them. I deal with the "normal" people at Hofstra who are down to Earth and do not show how wealthy they are. You can find people who are really great friends and people. Most of the people in the TV department are nice people and I get along with them. Most of the students are from Long Island and they do carry out that stereotypical Long Island mind set of Jager Bombs.

You really have to like Hofstra to stay. If Hofstra didn't have the communications program it has I would have been gone long ago. The fact is that Hofstra is like any other college except 3 times for expensive. So if you an go get the same degree and an other college for cheaper do that. Do not wast your time and money on a anthropology degree from Hofstra.

Italian guidos, bar lovers, always looking for a party at a bar

There are a lot of activities on campus. Being involved in film, I am working on a film shoot almost every weekend so I do not do what most students do. For most students the weekend starts on a Thursday and they will go out to a bar and get wasted. Greek life is huge at Hofstra, they are everywhere. There are so many clubs that I do not even know some of them exist.

Academics are really good at Hofstra. Class sizes are small, the biggest class I have been in was 30 students and the smallest was 15. Professors do get to know you and they do care about you doing well. The TV department's professors are great. They love to hear what you have to think and will give you good criticism. We have bbqs with the professors and it is fun to hear stories from when they were working in the industry. The TV program is very geared towards getting a job later on. Every class I take is meant as if it is a job and not a class.

Joe

The best thing about Hofstra is the people here. My friends that I've made are a large group of intelligent and fun people. I am very lucky to have found a large group of intellectuals who also know how to have a good time. As we have grown through the past 3 years we have become very close, and I really appreciate the time we've spent together. I think that Hofstra is the perfect size, because there are a lot of people here, but not too many that you can be completely lost in the crowd. At home people don't know much about Hofstra, so they think it's cool because it's near NYC. Here on Long Island, when I tell people that I go to Hofstra sometimes they seem impressed, sometimes they laugh... As if Hofstra is a joke. That's pretty disappointing.

The best thing about Hofstra is the community that we have in some of the buildings.

I think that many diverse groups of students are represented on campus. I don't really think that anyone should feel out of place here at Hofstra because there are so many different groups of people. I mean, if you were to say that you felt out of place, I'm sure that everyone here could identify with the reasons you give, because with such a diverse population, there are enough differences between people that it's difficult to find a group of people with identical traits and interests. There is a big divide in the student body between students involved in "Greek Life" (Fraternities and Sororities) and everyone else, because students involved in Greek Life generally consider themselves better than everyone else. The exception is students involved in departmental honors fraternities.

I am a member of Honors College and the Senior Resident Assistant in Honors Housing. We hold many programs in company of the Honors College faculty mentors. It is a lot of fun, and the residents seems to appreciate it!

Sadly, yes. It seems to me that in all of my non-Honors classes there is a high population of idiots. I feel like Hofstra is more focused on raking in the big bucks than accepting a population of hardworking, smart individuals. If Hofstra gave out more scholarships to the upper half (academically) of its applicants I believe that we would get a much better name, and the stereotype of the Long Island Girls and Guidos would slowly disappear, because it is usually the girls in the Ugg boots and mini skirts with orange skin and too much make up that sit in classes still drunk from the night before that bring down the class average.

A big stereotype about Hofstra is that it will accept anyone and everyone into it's undergraduate programs. Also, there is a stereotype of "Long Island Girls" and "Guidos" filling the student body.

Many different groups on campus are important to our very diverse campus. I am a member of Masquerade Musical Theatre Co., which puts on a mainstage musical every semester. It is generally a lot of fun. Students propose to direct a musical of their choice, assemble a production team, hold auditions, and run the show from start to finish. It is a great opportunity for students of all different majors. As for the question of whether or not students leave their doors open... it's not actually permitted in most areas of campus. If there have been magnetic door props installed then the residents are permitted, and in this case it is common for the doors to stay open. Everywhere else it is a fire code violation to prop open a door.

I am a Fine Arts major. The professors within the Fine Arts department are really awesome. My focus is Ceramics, and the full time Ceramics professor is extremely talented and has work in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and MoMA (I think...). It's really inspirational to have such a talented professor. He makes classes very hands on and makes sure that we are using art as a form of expression. The Fine Arts department is fairly small, and so the students in the department are a close-knit group of people. We also have friends in other departments which can be very diversifying. I think that Hofstra's academic requirements are a less than they should be. I feel like some classes could include a lot more information/projects, but teachers are too relaxed about giving students extra time to work, when the students could get the work done if they just spent the entire class working. I think that the Fine Arts studio classes should be worth more than 3 credits because of the amount of time that the class is scheduled for. The in class time per week for a studio course is 4 hours, yet we only get 3 credits. I think this is an injustice, and thus lowers our quality of work.

I think that everyone can find a place here at Hofstra. We have a such a diverse campus that there is a club for everyone.

I am a member of the Honors College, and I thoroughly enjoy all of my Honors endeavors.

Yes... some of the time. I would hope not everyone here is an idiot.

I love the Art department. Once I've had a class the teachers know who I am and appreciate my work.

There are a lot of events every night on campus. It's kinda crazy sometimes.

Nora

i get a good rection when i tell people i go to school at hofstra, im happy that i attend hofstra and im very proud to be from this school

the student body at hofstra is very diverse

i dont know and i dont want to know

i like how we have small classes in one of my journalism classes there are 10 students in the class and that makes me feel more hands on and i like that the teacher knows my name because that makes me work much harder

that we have "Hofstra Red" and all the girls that go to Hofstra are sluts

there are a lot of different groups on campus for clubs and stuff so everyone has one club that they can just fit right into

The best thing about hofstra is that it has a homey feeling to it, the campus is very nice, the teachers and faculty are all very well educated in their fields. You can learn a lot better in a small classroom setting which hofstra can provide with its student to faculty ratio, and that is how you can get acquainted with the teachers at the school, who usually have connections on the outside walls of hofstra and could help you for your future when looking for jobs in the related field anyone is interested in. I feel there is a lot of school pride here especially among the freshman. i spend most of my time in bits and bytes which is a nice food building. I will always remember the good times I had when i was dorming on campus.

I can't really say i have had a lot of experiences with other people considering that i am a commuter student, but i am sure when living on campus that it is much easier to meet new people and learn about different cultures. I believe an introvert person would feel out of place because a lot of people at hofstra are extroverted and outgoing, you need to be able to talk and have an outgoing personality to meet people and gain friends.

That is actually not the case because a lot of people are going to school with loans or scholarships.

Most students from when i lived on campus started to leave their dorms open when everyone in the dorm got acquainted with each other and more comforable. i met my closest friends from the dorm and also in my class that involved a lot of partner work which helped in getting to know those people better. i believe people party pretty much everyday, but thursday and the weekend are the biggest party days. i stayed home and went to work last weekend,

Well i think the only professor that knows me is my english teacher considering that i have had him for two semesters straight and its a very close nit class where he gets us involved. Class participation is very common on this campus and encouraged to help all students. I believe that when on campus conversations among the students are intellectual and relevant to the class most of the time. the most unique class i have taken i believe was philosophy intro class i reccomend it to everyone. I believe hofstra's requirements are actually pretty good, and also will provide the student with well-rounded knowledge of any field of interest. I believe it is a little bit of both that hofstra's academic classes are geared to help you learn but when in your major and line of interest then it starts to move to where you are looking at something related to the job that you are interested in.

Well that all the students that go to hofstra are rich.

Emma

food is overpriced. not too much to do. the school size is comfortable, no over crowded classes. dorm rooms are pretty good.

classes are good except for chem. tutors aren't helpful

the girls are loose and the boys are obnoxious

The best this about Hofstra is the amazing faculty. I have enjoyed almost every professor I have had. Our school is a very good size: there is diversity and variation, but you are not lost in the crowd. I wish people in the administration were kinder and more respectful to students. The professors are wonderful, but the administration is often rude. Many people are impressed when they hear that I go to Hofstra, especially now that it is receiving more attention for the presidential debates and for the addition of the Medical school. I spend most of my time on campus in my room. There is no "college town" at Hofstra. I am afraid to walk off campus, especially at night. The most frequent student complaints involve the administration, tuition costs, and food costs and poor quality.

Many seem to be, except for the last. There are people who are not wealthy, but it is easier to see the wealthy students.

The majority of my professors know me by name. My favorite classes are my psychology classes and Philosopohy, Religion, and Public Life. Class participation is usually decent. Some students have intellectual conversations outside of class. The psychology department is amazing, but do not ask them for help outside of their department, because they are usually not very helpful. The education here is definitely geared toward intellectual growth AND getting a job.

Many Jewish students attend Hofstra University. STD's are rampant. Hofstra girls are easy. Everyone at Hofstra is very wealthy.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.