Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

kelly

there is absolutely no college town. the city is close by, which is great, but it's unforunate tht there's no local town for us to shop and wlak around in. cars are helpful to keep here because everything is quite spread out

as long as you can find your niche, you'll be fine. there are lots of diverse groups, you just have to seek them out.

honors college is the best thing at hofstra. they take care of us so well-- free trips, always donating to our hall council when we ask for help, always trying to educate and better its students.

no, i an lower middle class, at best. but scholarships help!

academics are nice, although some classes are unforunate because they are "distribution" classes, which means everyone has to take them, whether they are intersted or not, which takes away from the quality of the learning.

residents in liberty & republic halls are extremely social. we're the only complex on campus that really makes social use of its lounges, and most of the dorms know each other and are friendly.

Keith

The size of the school is great in my opinion. The student body is large, but half are commuters so it has the feel of both a large and smaller university. The campus is really nice. I remember being unsure when driving here and looking around the area of Hempstead. Hofstra is split in half by the Hempstead turnpike, but while on campus you wouldn't even know there exists a major turnpike a short distance away. The food is above average for universities across the country. However, the price of food is a little bit ridiculous. But overall the food on campus is still a plus for the school. One of the biggest things Hofstra has going for it is the location as well. The school is a 10 minute walk from the Coliseum, a short drive from the Roosevelt Mall (one of the largest in the country), and then a 30minute train ride from NYC.

The school sort of advertises how diverse the student body is; however, I have yet to really discover that diversity. The majority of kids I meet are just a short drive from campus (between 30min to 2 hours). Many seem to be well off as far as financial backgrounds go. The school is incredibly expensive and the cost is only rising.

I'm a student of the Hofstra Honors College. The Honors program is a lot better than some of the other honors programs I've encountered with other schools. Hofstra's Honors College deals with each person inidividually and on a personal basis. I've had many one-on-one conversations with the Dean of the Honors College.

The stereotypes aren't true at all really.

The class sizes are generally really small when compared to other universities. Even the few "lectures" I have are still smaller than other people I know at other schools. The school offers a large variety of majors; that gives a lot of freedom for each student to discover what they want to do.

When talking to other kids about Hofstra, they recognized the name because of what's known as Hofstra Red. So supposedly the area and school is so ridden with STD's that we have one named after the school. There is also a sort of stigma that Hofstra is really a second rate, second choice school.

The school has great sports teams, drama dept., and other clubs across campus. There is usually something to do whether it's a football game, a play, or a free movie. The dorms sort of define who you hang out with. I meet a few kids from my classes, however I would say most students are friends with those they see everyday in the dorm.

barbara

the area around here is not college-friendly. hofstra itself is nice, but the neighborhood is unforunate

kids have their own cliques here, like everywhere. athletes, "party" girls and boys, "academics", drama kids, etc.

Honors college rules! great trips, very helpful with advisement, excellent sense of community, especially in the dorms (although they do make abig effort to reach out to commuters)

they are for some people, but like any stereotypes, they are also off in places

the poitical science department is pretty good- the faculty that i've interacted with are all terribly smart, accessible and encouraging. honors college has some tough academic requirements (i'm thinking of Culture & Expression) but i'm glad i've gone through it.

rich kids, designer duds, big jewish population

frats and sororities are pretty prominent on campus. pretty much my friends and i just hang out in the dorms on most nights until well into the morning. doing not a whole lot, but having a great time.

Ben

campus is very nice, the landscaping is gorgeous. being outside is where my friends and i spend most of our time

there are all types of students here, u run into all forms of diversity

like mentioned before everything can be big, and honors college plays a big part into my life. it started out small but with more people in it and the programs that they hold, it brings a real sense of community. everyone there is great and friendly and always willing to help. its a close community and its great to be a part of it

not to everyone, you're going to run into rich people

the profs are really intelligent, and they're friendly too. some of them are intimidating but only because they're brillant

greek life is big here, but so is the drama department and everything else. u make what u want big

Brian

Close enough to NYC to take advantage of everything it has to offer but also far enough away to avoid some of it's craziness. Hempstead is a little dirty but its there is plenty of things to do in the area.

The student body is very diverse. The one negative is that almost half of the students are commuters. This sometimes takes aways from activities that occur on campus.

There is definitely a mix of professors. Some are very knowledgeble but are good at teaching but I've plenty of very good teachers too. Many of the general requirement classes are kind of boring but I've heard that as you get further into a specific major it's better.

"Hofstra Red" - we have the highest STD rate in the country.

I was a little disappointed with the enthusiasm towards athletic events and other on campus activities. Frats/sororities are a large part of the campus life. There isn't a lot to on the weekends that doesn't involve drinking.

Joanne

everyone is real chill with everyone else

honors college always has great progs and trips, all free too!

profs are cool, they are great at helping out

Bob

I think that the best thing about Hofstra is the size. It's just right; not too big, and not too small. People where I'm from don't have any idea what Hofstra is. I spend most of my time on campus in my room or friends rooms, and don't find Hempstead to be a college town. I don't know much about Hofstra's administration so I can't say. I will say that they're not very visible, unless I'm just not seeking them out. The most recent controversy was the ZBT incident. I don't think that there is an overwhelming amount of school pride; we lack a student section at sporting events. The most frequent student complaints include overcharging from Lackmann.

I feel like Hofstra's student body keeps to itself in a way. Everyone has their own group and they stay with them...the athletes, greeks, hippies, etc. I believe that wealthy financial backgrounds are most prevalent and some students are politically aware, but not as much as other schools. Also, considering our Gay Straight Alliance is inactive, I feel as if the gay and lesbian population do not necessarily have an outlet as other groups do.

HONORS COLLEGE IS GREAT. Good luck in the Relay for Life!

Professors are wonderful. They know names and are available for help. I don't really have a favorite class; I enjoy all of them about equally. Class is class, but it is bearable. I am looking forward to taking classes in my major. I don't know much about it or the department yet, so I'm excited for that to happen. I think that it depends on what kind of students you spend your time with as to whether or not intellectual conversations occur. I would not say that students are extremely competitive. I feel like the education is geared equally toward getting a job and learning; getting a job coming later in the four-year experience. I feel the academic requirements are very managable, and am happy that we are now able to register for 18 credits.

I believe the most popular groups and organizations are athletic teams and greek life. I'm currently not involved in either, but have a close group of friends and have recently become an RA so look forward to meeting more people that way. Events offered on campus are popular to those that seek them out. Otherwise, people have their own agendas. There is a fair amount of drinking, but not too much that you feel out of place when you are not.

Lindsey

The academics (political science dept.) are awesome - there are a lot of opportunities offered.

Not a huge fan of the student body.

"Long Island girls and boys," people in NY are not as nice as people other places...

Kelly

Hofstra's atmosphere is probably what drew me in the most. Being a mid-sized school (app. 8,000 undergrad) it has the resources of a large university and the community of a smaller college. The campus is beautiful, but it's not a campus bubble. I mean, you don't feel like you're stuck on campus for four years. Internships are encouraged (if not required) and the school takes advantage of the proximity to NYC just as much as the students do. There are PLENTY of things to do in the area, and I'm still just barely getting a taste of the stuff the whole Island has to offer after three years here. And it's still a young school. Hofstra's less than 100 years old and is really building up it's reputation among some of the larger more well-known universities.

Diverse, active, dynamic, sometimes a little crazy, pick a buzzword for college students and we've got it. I can't think of anyone that couldn't find something or someone they really related to and could get involved with here. College is probably 65% what you put into it, and the students put a LOT into school. We have 140 clubs and organizations, with an incredibly active Student Government (real debates and elections etc). Plus, with the combination of local and not-so-local students, we get a really great mix of kids.

I'm also an Honors College student here and seriously, probably one of the better decisions I made when searching for schools. If you get the invite, don't just ignore it. Honors has a great program both academically and not.

Not from where I'm standing. I'm from out of state so I'm for sure not commuting, and I've got friends in my dorm from California, Florida, Missouri, Ohio, etc. Seriously don't believe everything you hear.

The thing I hated about high school was that I didn't feel like I was learning towards anything. My classes here make me feel like I'm learning to be a better person IN MY CAREER when I leave. I've had some awesomely small classes and the professors always manage to learn your name within a week or two. They're also required to have office hours so you can go and get a paper looked at, just chat about class topics, or eventually solicit recommendations. Being a liberal arts school there's a solid amount of core education, but with soooooooo many options for classes it's never boring. I HATE science, so for a science requirement I took Biology in Society, which related to current social and medical events. A million times more relative to what I was really interested in.

So we have giant BBQs every year on the Intramural fields on the dorm side of campus. One in the Fall and one in the Spring, with a club fair, live bands, free food, usually one of those bounce house things, so much fun. A lot of times in good weather organizations will do events right outside on the quad so you can stop by on the way to class even! The campus is really centralized around our Student Center, so you can almost always run into someone you know a few times throughout your day. I met a bunch of my friends from joining an intramural basketball team at the gym with the guys in my building!

Honestly? If you want stereotypes look up Hofstra on UrbanDictionary.com. According to that nonsense the school has it's own STD, for crying out loud. But really the main stereotype is that Hofstra is just a commuter school.

The recent "controversy" on campus would have to be the elections for president of SGA. A former president who was told to step down was running to be re-elected and there was a lot of controversy surrounding his candidacy and he wound up winning the election, much to a lot of people's surprise.

A lot of people are really activist on campus, which is nice to see as opposed to everyone being apathetic.

Honors College is definitely a benefit to going to Hofstra... there's lots of extra perks and activities that we're able to do through them.

Being neither of those, I can say they're not accurate.

I really enjoy the small class size and the numerous opportunities for internships.

People party a lot on campus, especially at Hofstra USA, which is quite annoying to me because my dorm is right outside of it, so I get to hear loud music until 3 in the morning.

People seem to think everyone is Jewish and rich.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.