Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Jill

There's no real college town... Hofstra kind of is a town in itself. Besides, NYC is 45 minutes away, so there's no real need for a college town.

There's a really active GSA on campus, which makes it a lot more comfortable for LGBT students to be on campus. I don't think that any type of student would feel out of place on Hofstra's campus because there are so many different types of clubs and people. There's something for everyone.

One thing I really enjoy about going to Hofstra is being part of Honors College, because it provides me with a community of students who enjoy a lot of the same things that I do.

There are those people, like at every college, but for the most part it's not true.

Most professors know their students by name, which is nice. Students I know have intellectual discussions outside of class, but most of my friends are in Honors College, like me.

I really enjoy being part of Hall Council and RSA, both of which are extremely active and put on a lot of awesome programs.

A lot of people at other schools in particular seem to think that Hofstra is full of sex maniacs who spread STDs to everyone who sets foot on campus and party 24/7.

Chris

I think there is an overall level of dissatisfaction with the school, and most people feel like they've settled by staying here. If asking a student if they could have gone somewhere else freshman year, i would say the great majority say yes. Even as a senior, i feel as if my decision to stay here was one of convenience, after deciding the the school was "okay" after my first year.

I am an asian american, and have experienced a few instances of racism. There is much segregation, and cultures tend to stick together. In a dining hall environment, there would be the frat/sorority people at one, athletes at another, drama kids at one, and everyone else at another. Mostly all students at Hofstra are of wealthy families.

I have had some brilliant professors, and some i wonder why they were heading the class and not a baboon. The academic environment is not very competitive. I am a b.s. music merchandising major, and was accepted into the program without a formal audition. Furthermore, i feel the academic curriculum to be very weak and unorganized. Most conversations i overhear are of weekend endeavors to bars.

The clubs have been the one bright spot for me at Hofstra. They've allowed me to make new friends and continue doing the things i love and also discover new interests.

STDs spread like wildfire, girls are unapproachable and stuck up, ugg boots and mini skirts.

Gabe

I like Hofstra's size. I have met plenty of people that I have become close to, and yet I still meet new ones everyday. The campus is a good size as well. Everything that I need is in reasonable walking distance. The surrounding area is also decent. There's plenty of places to eat off campus, which is a nice change of setting. There's a few movie theaters close by, and for some reason there is a cluster of malls within a short distance of campus. In no way would this be considered just a college town. The biggest issue is the price of food. Hofstra uses Lackmann dining services as their provider, and Lackmann's prices are ridiculous. The company doesn't seem to realize that most college students and their families don't have extra money to burn on food. It seems to be taking unfair advantage of the student's needs.

The worst part about the student body is that there are so many people from Long Island. I knew this was a commuter school when I applied, but I didn't realize that I wouldn't get along with the Long Islanders. There are a few people from Long Island that I met and liked. Largely, though, I find that I have little in common with the commuters. I'm from California, and my best friends are from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Colorado, and New York City. There are still enough people not from Long Island to get along with. I'm glad, because otherwise I would have a real tough time here.

I just want to give a shout out to Hofstra University's Honors College. kickass.

The STD stereotypes aren't (my understanding so far...). As for JAP's, they are well represented here. That one is warranted

Class sizes are freakin sweet. It feels like high school still. All my teachers know who I am, and I'm pretty comfortable with them. The curriculum is difficult, but not unreasonable (in most cases). What I learn in class definitely percolates into everyday life. I do have discussions with other students outside of class. I'm pretty satisfied so far with the academics.

The kids in my dorm are pretty comfortable with one another. Given, I live in the smallest dorm complex on campus. But still, I'm happy with the social situation in the dorms. All of my closest friends lived near me in the dorms. Partying has posed problems. I came to college expecting to party at least one night every weekend. That hasn't exactly happened. There are parties on campus, but they are usually frat parties. These suck because EVERYBODY goes there. Who would want to go to a party that's so crowded you can't move or talk to anybody new? Not me. My friends and I latch on to any house we hear about that's throwing a party. But these houses will only party once every few weeks. Otherwise we're stuck drinking in our rooms.

There's always the STD thing... that makes me laugh. I also hear a lot of stereotypes about the JAP (Jewish American Princess) Long Island girls.

joanne

i wish hempstead turnpike didn't cut campus in half. people don't seem to know too much about hofstra when i mention i attend it.

students wear a variety of things to class-- from sweatpants to t-shirts and jeans, to designer duds (especially Uggs), and lots of leggings (unforunately).

Honors college is the best! Dean Frisina, Peggy Ann, and Dean Donahue are absolutely fantastic.

people don't participate much in class, especially early ones. that's why i like honors seminars, because students actually want to be in class (most of the time) and are trying to have educated conversations

wealthy, lots of hair gel, italian, jewish, guido, designer bags/clothes/shoes/sunglasses, fancy cars

there's a lot going on especially this year with regards to politics and the upcoming elections through a series called Educate '08 because Hofstra will be hosting the final presidential debate on October 15, 2008.

Melissa

I wish we had a college town Tulips are lovely in the spring time- the campus is really maintained well

despite the stereotypes, hofstra's quite diverse. i feel like there's a little spot for everyone. there are a lot of commuters, though, which i think may take away from a larger sense of community that you may see on other campuses. students mostly don't seem politically knowledgeable and are generally upper-middle class and wealthy.

HONORS COLLEGE! if you have the option, be a part of it. they take such good care of you, and give you so many more opportunities than any other institution on campus. it also looks great on the resume, and if you felt at home in AP/honors classes in high school, the community will feel very natural to you.

they are said for a reason, but don't apply to everyone. especially an inaccurate portrayal of most of the Honors College crowd

My favorite classes are painting classes. Most teachers know our names. Honors classes are stimulating and competative, outside the honors community you have to work to find your niche. the political science department is great- really interesting personalities, very supportive and welcoming, if you put yourself out there to get to know them.

there are absolutely tons of extracurriculars to get involved with. my favorite is hall council (especially liberty/republic halls). you're not supposed to prop your doors which is very disappointing, especially for new students hoping to make friends. there are a lot of fraternities and sororities, and i personally really don't like Greek Week, when they have pretty much non-stop events and competitions and parties in the spring. we're really close to the beach, as well as a good deal of diners, and are a 50 minute LIRR train ride from the city, so there's plentiful weekend options. also Roosevelt Field Mall is very nice, if you're into that thing.

rich, jewish, party-kids, not terribly smart, guido, very "long island"

Ann

hofstra's honors college is a great place to become involved in a more

there is usually some sort of program going on almost every night. this includes guest speakers/lecturers, plays, movies, etc.

long island girls only wear uggs, leggings, and sweatshirts. they go to the bars more than they go to class, and they live for greek week.

Dawson

hofstra is a great place! There are lots of different people and you can always find something to be involved with. it does lack a collegetown but it still is a great community

everyone here is for the most part very open to different views and personal life styles. it does get click-y with greek life, but no one is purposely ostracized because they arent in a certain group.

honors college really helped in gaining a better sense of community. it made the transition into college easier too because it was easy to get to know honors college before tackling the entire school population.

the class sizes are really nice, they're not huge and not too small at the same time. profs are also really good with responding to emails and being present during office hours. the career center here is also really helpful in resume writing, internship and job obtaining.

greek life is really big, but if you're not into it, there are millions of other things to join. drinking on the weekends occur at everyone college, and this is no different, but there is def other options than just drinking. the city is very close and there are always interesting activities on campus.

all hofstra students only care about partying

Tina

The school is a really great size. It's about 13,000 students total, including grad and undergrad. It's great because it's bigger than my high school, so I get that college feeling. At the same time though it's not overwhelmingly massive; I can still see people I know on the way to class. The way campus is set up, dividing the residential and academic sides, also really helps because when you see your friends on the academic side, for example, you know you can't talk long because you're both probably going to class, etc.

There are definitely different parts of the student body. I don't interact with greek life or stereotypical long island kids at all because I can't relate to them in any way. I do however have a great variety of friends of what I consider normal students who all have different interests and are on different teams.

Honors College is definitely such an awesome part of Hofstra!

There are definitely people that fit the mold, but that's not the real feel for me.

The Dance Department is really amazing at Hofstra University. It's got about 80 students so that's pretty large. Since it has so many students it can afford to bring in really big name artists and teachers. This also creates a great sense of community and a really creative environment.

Honors College dorms have a really great community and definitely are the best to live in.

Hofstra students are stereotyped to be super rich and snobby.

Ryan

Students care very little. There are a lot of clubs and organizations, but a very small percentage of the student body gets involved. there is no relationship between Hofstra and the local community. It is the absolute oposite of a college town. The various administrations know nothing but their own individual positions, if that. You always get sent from department to department on the "Hofstra shuffle" while trying to get answers.

Student body is incredibly diverse; unfortunately you do not really get to experience the diversity because almost every ethnic group stays in its own little clique. There are lots of rich Long Islanders, and then lots of students in tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Most of the students are from the Tristate area, the East Coast in general, Pennsylvania, and California. there are some extremely active students who are incredibly driven, but the majority do not care. Professors are overall very liberal; Students are mixed between liberal and too caught up in themselves to care.

Honors College makes it worthwhile! Honors students get wonderful support and great benefits, such as free trips into the city to see shows, etc.

The faculty is extremely overqualified for the students. In other words, the professors are wonderful, and it's unfortunate that they do not have equally as enthusiastic students. Especially in the arts, most of the professors practice in Manhattan but teach at Hofstra. Profs are also incredibly reliable at returning emails and making you feel important and like not another face in the crowd.

SO many on campus clubs, etc. It's also very easy to start one. However, finding enough other students who want to dedicate themselves to your group is slightly trickier. Many wonderful speakers come because of our close proximity to Manhattan, but unfortunately the majority of the seats are empty. Saturday night NOT drinking: either go into Manhattan (which I do often) and go dancing, to a museum, out to eat, etc. (all unfortunately very expensive,) or do nothing. There is a mall and movie theater in Hempstead if you have a car, and there are often events on campus such as movies or events put on by different clubs, but overall not that many students attend weekend events.

They don't care about anything. Very superficial. Hofstra is full of Long Island girls and Guidos, the former empty headed wearing fake tans and Ugg boots in the summer and the latter with blown out hair and shouting across the local skeezy bars at each other.

Whitney

Great school. Good size to get around and looks nice. People respect Hofstra, especially sports. Administration is alright. Food's not the best but alright.

There are all sorts of groups for everyone, even frats and sororities. It's a pretty casual campus that everyone can find something to do and somewhere to belong. Students are fairly aware politically and usually more left leaning.

Honors college is a great thing. Cool people and teachers and activities.

Classes are pretty small and participation heavy. Teachers know you. Classes help to get you ready for a job but also are good learning experiences. Requirements aren't ridiculous.

People know each other, lots of ways to meet people. Good sports games to go to and clubs to get involved in. Mall and NYC not far away off campus. Drinking on campus but there are other ways to spend the weekend.

Drugs and STDs and lots of money.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.