Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Located in not the greatest neighborhood, but just outside of great areas and only 30 minutes by train from the city. My favorite things about hofstra are the location (closeness to the city) and their flexibility with double majors

Pretty diverse, much more so then I thought it would be. Upper class income kids are still the most common, but that probably has to do with the price of tuition

I love honor's college and all the stuff they do for us!!!

There are some of these on campus, but the majority of us are not

That they are snobby Long Island Girls that tan excessivly and wear only designer clothes

Sorrorities and Fraternities are BIG! Even though there are none that live directly on campus, Greek life is a major part of Hofstra. However, even if you are not in a frat, there are definitely enough activities and clubs around to keep you occupied!

I love all my professors, especially all those in connection with the dance department. All the classes i've had are relatively small (30 or less) and the teachers learn your names, as long as you come on a relatively frequent basis. My professors have been great at assisting me both with class and other issues.

Shawn

The school is just the right size, lots of campus involvement and pride. Good school to go to.

Lots of groups including frats and sororities. Mostly left leaning school.

Good class sizes and friendly teachers. Requirements not too hard but challenging.

Rich druggies and "Hofstra girls" with STDs.

Lots of activities and plays. Partying but not the only thing to do. City nearby.

Mike

It's a great school that is not very well appreciated, by the surrounding area at least. It is situated in a beautiful arboretum and is a diverse learning environment.

Certainly diverse. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here

Honor's College rocks! And so do the Liberty/Republic dorms!

Many professors are great, others aren't so good. I feel like that is commonplace of any college. I have learned some incredible stuff in the three years I've been here, and I will remember everything I've learned and will apply it towards the rest of my life.

Social life is fun. No pressure. Just do what you want. Many clubs seem to have a lot of trouble gaining recognition or support though, maybe because this is such a big commuter school.

We are rich, spoiled, wanna-be gangstas going to a poor school with a sad social community and laughable academic credentials.

Jacob

the location is great (close to new york but still has greenery and space). the residential buildings are ugly as hell, the academic buildings are pretty on the outside but on the inside they could use some work. i pay too much money for things that are unnecessary and the price of food is out of control. the faculty is pretty good overall...a lot of experience, but theyre all not going to be perfect every time. the career center is great. there is no pride for the pride....people need to get into the college atmosphere more. overall, though its everything i need...but we could use more things that i would enjoy for all the money i pay. the town is not a college town...no real cool places to just hang out and chill without paying way too much money for it....things could change, but it is satisfactory.

the student body seems separated into some cliques like H.S. but there is no racial, sexual, anything else issues i dont think...it has good diversity and students from all over.... its big for a private school but its a good size for me.

mostly. my unspoken pre-judgements have been quite accurate after listening to certain people speak to me or other people. things dont get fixed, although we pay too much money, and the food services are ridiculous... so yeah, mostly they are true.

Its all over the map...some teachers are good and hard...some are irrational... some are easy...some students arent college level students, some students are really intelligent... it has a wide range....

a lot of things to do...though many people dont take those opportunities... parties on and off campus... clubs galore... dorm halls are friendly and diverse... its always just a matter if students take the initiative to do something....

that if they wear uggs and look like an orange theyre probably from long island... and they are probably sub-par in terms of intelligence... it does not get a reputation as a school of very high standards... and that lackmann services are horrible and too expensive... and that nothing ever gets fixed in time.

Alex

Hofstra's a pretty good school, not too big, not too small. It only takes about 15 minutes to get across campus. Most people usually think about the sports teams when they here the name. Outside of the school, there isn't much around. Not too much bad happens, but there are some bad fights and a sexual harrasment case. Teh administration does a decent job but certain people do little for the money they make and the amount they contribute. A lot of the school has pride, decent turn outs at sports events, especially since half the school commutes. The things most people complain about though is the food service.

I think all groups are accepted well. There are groups and organizations for about everyone, either that or some sort of speaker or rally or something of the sort. This includes political rallies and lectures. There are groups that tend to hang out, but mostly the fraternities and sororities. Otherwise, the groups are fairly wide. Most students are left in terms of politics and social issues.

The Honors College is a great opportunity to meet people and offers a unique experience that I would not have otherwise.

The classes are pretty small, about 25 students a class. The proffesors tend to learn you and because the classes are small, they are often discussion classes. The ideas often travel outside of class too. The school is competitive with a certain group. Like all colleges though, there are those who really really care and those who don't at all, with most right in the middle. The Communications department is pretty good, offering a lot of classes and good advisement. The requirements are not unreasonable but challenging, offering all you need to know for the fields while offering enough time just for learning.

There are so many groups on campus. I'm part of the Hofstra Film Club, but not very active. But it is a good group if you are interested in film making. The campus always has something going on, giving events from dances to speakers almost every day. There are also several plays a year. People are fairly friendly so leaving the door open for people in the hall to stop by can be common. Thanks to the Honors college and the dorms and activities, I met my friends. Every weekend there are parties, but plenty of other things to do. Off campus, there are theatres and the mall and the NYC to go to.

A lot have STDs and most are rich.

Simon

i think this school is te perfect size for me... it not too big and not too small. i would change the foundation of te onors college. it is currently based on a humanities social sciences curriculum. they should broden the base of te curriculum to fit different types of honor students

i believe that the student body is adequately diverse and allows you to find many friend many social and racial backgrounds

I am part of the honors college and enjoy being part of it. i do wish they would add other thing to thier program

the academics are very good. i am in te biochemistry department and i believe the subjects required for the degree are very related to the field and taught by very knowledgeable professors.

They are all stereotypical long islanders

i am involved with phi delta epsilon and help darfur now. i believe hofstra has many well organized groups and groupd that can fit any personality.

Devin

This school is just the right size for me. Its not too big and its not small at all so im loving it. I spend most of my time in Hofstra USA as this is where i work and it consumes my life. I think administration makes a few mistakes here and there but for the most part theyre doing an ok job. Lackmann is rather expensive however. Students shouldnt' be running out of a 1400 dollar meal plan with 3 weeks left of the semester.

The students are all very nice and all different students interact. Nobody really seems to care about the future and everybody is just worried about the next exam or essay they have to get done.

Hofstra University Honors College is awesome. WE have alot of fun together and everybody helps each other with hw when needed. I really HATE lackmann as they are way over priced and the food isn't that good.

in some cases this is extraordinarily accurate but in others such as myself and my close circle of friends this isn't the case.

I like the academics here. The professors are all very helpful and personal with students. Class participation is really common in some classes but others are merely lecture and take notes.

I met my closest friends from my dorm and from orientation. Most of the events around campus are pretty popular for the most part and being awake at 2am either means you're drunk, working, or writing a paper for the next day. Saturday nights either involve working, or hanging out with friends. Drinking hasn't happened in a while because i've been working so much.

1 in 3 has an STD! and Rich sum-bitches.

Matt

Hofstra is a little too wrapped up in itself and needs to focus more on its' students. Paying almost 40 thousand dollars a year to go here, there should be a little more given back to the students.

The student body is what you make it. There are so many different people here and different clubs and groups that you can find anything you want. Students come from all over, half are from Long Island and the other half are from all around the country. I think there is a big gap between commuters and residents.

I am doing this for the Honor's college!!

Some what, stereotypes have to come from somewher, but they don't cover anyone.

I love the academics here, well mostly. I am forced to take classes that I don't really care about and that takes away from time other classes that I would like to take. All of my proffessors, well at least the ones in my major know my name and keep up with my personal life to a degree, it is nice.

There is always a ton to do on and around Hofstra. The city is also only a 40 minute train ride away. If someone says there is nothing to do on a Friday or Saturday, or any night of the week really, they are just lazy and aren't looking. Hofstra has a great mix of academic events and nightlife events.

That we are all rich and drive the car Daddy bought for us.

Erin

Hofstra is a great size. We are a medium sized school with many of the perks of a big campus but have the intimate feeling of a little school. I love that Hofstra is so close to New York City- even a lot of my professors have taken us on field trips or had assignments that require a trip in.

Hofstra has a group for everyone. While we used to be a commuter school, the residential population is building and there is so much to do on campus. There are clubs for everything from politics to sports to music to knitting! What's nice about all of these clubs though is that they put on programs that anyone at the university can attend.

Honors College at Hofstra is such an awesome and unique experience in college. Its the perfect mix of intellectual conversation and lecture and fun activities!

No. There are a ton of students here from all over the country and around the world. There are students of all types as well!

Class sizes here are small. My freshman year I had one class of six students and one class of eight! All of my professors know my name and Ive gotten to know a lot of the students in my classes well also. Technology here is one of my favorite things about the classrooms. All the classes have smart boards or smart computers with projection screens. I love that professors take advantage of that

That we are a big commuter school made up of only Long Islanders

The most active campus organization I am in the the Residential Student Association. We plam programs for all residents on campus. This year we held Hofstra's first student wide formal. We also had a movie night outside on our intramural field and brought in a hypnotist to raise money for FOP. Hofstra is also holding a Relay For Life event on campus this year. The students have become very active in fundraising for a variety of causes.

Jamie

Lately, Hofstra has improved some of it's classrooms. It is less like an NYC public school and more like a University that I pay to attend. If I could change anything, I would change alot of things. But one thing I would change is school spirit and participation. There is very little and students should take advantage of programs and events and attend them. But, it is nice to have small groups sometimes and b/c nobody attends, you could take advantage of it. The school is too small for people who want a big school that you can get lost easily in and not know names but just right for those who like smaller classes and more intimate groups. People for the most part don't know Hofstra unless it's Hofstra law or business or grad school. Hofstra is a nothing school, it's not NYU, it's not an ivy league, it's not a big deal. But you knew that when you came. There is no "college town". You need a car to get anywhere off campus. There are no nearby places to go (for the most part). I think Hofstra's administration is ...trying. I have no real opinion about it. There seems to be a strange "pride" about hofstra. People walk around wearing sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc. but that might just be b/c the "pride" are the sports teams and it's included in slogans and e-mail accounts... Hofstra is not very diverse but it could be worse. The food is unremarkable and overpriced, the campus can be very dirty, it can be pretty, it can be nice or noisy, it can surprise you or not. The dorms are not very nice, but they do have air conditioning in summer and heating in the winter time. There are excellent professors but then there are also "bad" professors. The school is more like a community college that anything else. A large portion of students commute, which probably contributes to the lack of school spirit and participation in clubs, events, etc. The same as anywhere, you will meet good people and/or people you hate. Students frequently complain about security on campus, parking, schoolwork and other students. Hofstra actually has very good advising and resources if you take advantage of them and use them. There is a good counseling center and you can use the hofstra wellness center although studens complain about it also.

Many of the students at Hofstra are from well to do families and backgrounds. People who are from lower SES backgrounds may feel out of place. There isn't alot of diversity. Mostly white, some black. Smattering of asians, etc. Many Jewish students and an active Jewish community (I don't know, but it looks like). Hofstra Hillell does alot, or seems to have alot of activities. Alot of students wear sweatpants and leisure suits, alot of flip flops and uggs, girls carry designer bags. Some students hardly dress for school (show up in pajamas) and others dress up. Often you will see people wearing jackets with their greek sorority/fraternity names on them. Alot of the students are from NY, in and around. Alot of students are from Long Island. People don't seem to be so politically aware or active. Students do seem concerned with making money. Strange thing at Hofstra are parents at the bookstore buying their children's books. I never saw that until I came to Hofstra.

HUHC is a good opportunity if you are at Hofstra. Honors students get to go to honors events, get honors housing and can take classes for honors credits. I'm filling out this survey mostly for the fundraising thingy (relay for life). I'm not able to help out directly so I hope this does some good. Sorry.

Yes, for the most part. There are exceptions, there are good people, but for the most part it's true.

The students are mostly careless, mostly from the island, it is a "party school", it's not a "real school"... that's all I can think of at the moment.

There are alot of greek societies. Students in dorms mostly do not leave the door open (it's not allowed). I wouldn't know about athletic events, but guest speakers and events usually don't have a high turnout. More people are likely to show up if there is food. It seems students like to go out drinking and to bars and parties. Fraternities and sororities seem common. There are sometimes movies shown on campus on weekends. One bus on Sundays takes you to the mall and picks you up from the mall at a certain time. Off campus, people probably drink. There are good groups on campus too that like to participate in volunteer work, fundraising, spreading awareness, etc.

Professors may know your name, alot of the classes are small. The larger classes don't really go over 100 students. Conversations around campus are usually not very intellectual. Students can be competitive but it depends on where you are. The psychology department is very good at Hofstra, but in my opinion, the hard sciences are weaker. The labs are not nicely equipped. I used better, more expensive and reliable equipment in regular lab at other schools and at Hofstra, had crappy pipette pumps, alot of missing tops and odds and ends, things that didn't work. Academic requirements are pretty much the same as anywhere. Hofstra encourages students to go for higher education (atleast in my major). Hofstra gives more than some schools with things like AP credits and credits for classes from other schools. The psychology department is very good and supportive for the most part. There is also a good graduate program at Hofstra, unfortunately they rarely accept their own students and they tell you so. It's kind of depressing. There is tutoring available but it takes a very long time to set up. Sometimes they also defer you to "group" tutoring saying, there are hours for homework help. Forget individual tutoring, just go to those. That isn't so helpful if you need the individual attention.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.