Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Jamie

Lately, Hofstra has improved some of it's classrooms. It is less like an NYC public school and more like a University that I pay to attend. If I could change anything, I would change alot of things. But one thing I would change is school spirit and participation. There is very little and students should take advantage of programs and events and attend them. But, it is nice to have small groups sometimes and b/c nobody attends, you could take advantage of it. The school is too small for people who want a big school that you can get lost easily in and not know names but just right for those who like smaller classes and more intimate groups. People for the most part don't know Hofstra unless it's Hofstra law or business or grad school. Hofstra is a nothing school, it's not NYU, it's not an ivy league, it's not a big deal. But you knew that when you came. There is no "college town". You need a car to get anywhere off campus. There are no nearby places to go (for the most part). I think Hofstra's administration is ...trying. I have no real opinion about it. There seems to be a strange "pride" about hofstra. People walk around wearing sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc. but that might just be b/c the "pride" are the sports teams and it's included in slogans and e-mail accounts... Hofstra is not very diverse but it could be worse. The food is unremarkable and overpriced, the campus can be very dirty, it can be pretty, it can be nice or noisy, it can surprise you or not. The dorms are not very nice, but they do have air conditioning in summer and heating in the winter time. There are excellent professors but then there are also "bad" professors. The school is more like a community college that anything else. A large portion of students commute, which probably contributes to the lack of school spirit and participation in clubs, events, etc. The same as anywhere, you will meet good people and/or people you hate. Students frequently complain about security on campus, parking, schoolwork and other students. Hofstra actually has very good advising and resources if you take advantage of them and use them. There is a good counseling center and you can use the hofstra wellness center although studens complain about it also.

Many of the students at Hofstra are from well to do families and backgrounds. People who are from lower SES backgrounds may feel out of place. There isn't alot of diversity. Mostly white, some black. Smattering of asians, etc. Many Jewish students and an active Jewish community (I don't know, but it looks like). Hofstra Hillell does alot, or seems to have alot of activities. Alot of students wear sweatpants and leisure suits, alot of flip flops and uggs, girls carry designer bags. Some students hardly dress for school (show up in pajamas) and others dress up. Often you will see people wearing jackets with their greek sorority/fraternity names on them. Alot of the students are from NY, in and around. Alot of students are from Long Island. People don't seem to be so politically aware or active. Students do seem concerned with making money. Strange thing at Hofstra are parents at the bookstore buying their children's books. I never saw that until I came to Hofstra.

HUHC is a good opportunity if you are at Hofstra. Honors students get to go to honors events, get honors housing and can take classes for honors credits. I'm filling out this survey mostly for the fundraising thingy (relay for life). I'm not able to help out directly so I hope this does some good. Sorry.

Yes, for the most part. There are exceptions, there are good people, but for the most part it's true.

The students are mostly careless, mostly from the island, it is a "party school", it's not a "real school"... that's all I can think of at the moment.

There are alot of greek societies. Students in dorms mostly do not leave the door open (it's not allowed). I wouldn't know about athletic events, but guest speakers and events usually don't have a high turnout. More people are likely to show up if there is food. It seems students like to go out drinking and to bars and parties. Fraternities and sororities seem common. There are sometimes movies shown on campus on weekends. One bus on Sundays takes you to the mall and picks you up from the mall at a certain time. Off campus, people probably drink. There are good groups on campus too that like to participate in volunteer work, fundraising, spreading awareness, etc.

Professors may know your name, alot of the classes are small. The larger classes don't really go over 100 students. Conversations around campus are usually not very intellectual. Students can be competitive but it depends on where you are. The psychology department is very good at Hofstra, but in my opinion, the hard sciences are weaker. The labs are not nicely equipped. I used better, more expensive and reliable equipment in regular lab at other schools and at Hofstra, had crappy pipette pumps, alot of missing tops and odds and ends, things that didn't work. Academic requirements are pretty much the same as anywhere. Hofstra encourages students to go for higher education (atleast in my major). Hofstra gives more than some schools with things like AP credits and credits for classes from other schools. The psychology department is very good and supportive for the most part. There is also a good graduate program at Hofstra, unfortunately they rarely accept their own students and they tell you so. It's kind of depressing. There is tutoring available but it takes a very long time to set up. Sometimes they also defer you to "group" tutoring saying, there are hours for homework help. Forget individual tutoring, just go to those. That isn't so helpful if you need the individual attention.

Alexandra

It's not that bad, really, people are just unorganized.

It's not that bad, really, people are just unorganized.

I have good friends, unfortunately they're the last of the good people at this godforsaken institution.

Listen, the English department rocks, but the Art History department can blow me.

Elana

Hofstra was not my first choice for a university, mostly because I was not planning on going out of state for school. After coming here, it really started to grow on me and as corny as it sounds, I knew that I made the right decision coming here.

I wear a bathing suit to my scuba class. Otherwise I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt and in the winter i wear a jacket.

My favorite part of Hofstra is Honors College, which isn't as nerdy as it sounds. I've met some of the nicest people here, and we have many of the same interests. Honors College is one of Hofstra's best kept secrets for making a smooth transition from high school to college.

Like any other college, Hofstra is a party school if you want it to be, there are always parties going on, but they aren't so overpowering on campus that if you don't want to go, there's no pressure. As for the Long Island girl, there are some that fit this stereotype, but most of the people that you meet are "normal" and have earned their spot on campus.

The biggest stereotype I heard before I came to Hofstra was that it was a big party school. Also once I came here, the stereotype of Long Island girls that were only accepted because of Daddy's money.

I am usually awake at 2AM on a Tuesday writing a paper for my Wednesday morning class. Most of my friends are also in this class writing the same paper so we spend a lot of time complaining about it, it's a bonding experience though. Luckily, I have a big gap in my day on Wednesday so I can nap after class.

One thing I really like about being in Honors College is that you are able to get to know professors over free food. During their office hours, that happen to be in my dorm, we are able to ask questions about anything, ranging from math problems to where to get the best tacos in New York. Also, going to a teacher's office hours is a great way to know a teacher, and really helps raising your grade in their class because they know you are making an effort to do well in their class.

Joe

The teachers here are nice.

The teachers here are nice.

The faculty does not interact with the students outside of classes.

The faculty in the Honors College are very fun and enjoyable.

Not usually... unless I need a good grade. ;)

The teachers are hard, but I learn a lot.

Some teachers help out with social events.

The students sleep with their teachers to get passing grades.

Alana

I love gay people, they are fun!

I love Honors College!!!!!!!!!!!!<33333333333

The teachers are great, and very smart

They live in their own bubble. They wear ugg boots.

Help Darfur Now is a national organization that brings awareness about the genocide in Darfur

Chris

I would make sure that we stop accepting Long Island girls.

I would make sure that we stop accepting Long Island girls.

Long Island girls are very offensive and often discriminate against everyone else. And each other sometimes.

There are not a lot of Long Island girls in Honors College, which makes me love Honors College.

The Long Island girls are very dumb and make classes difficult.

I enjoy activities on campus that do not include the Long Island girls.

Ryan

the tulips!! i love the tulips! yeah dizzy's!!

the tulips!! i love the tulips! yeah dizzy's!!

the gays are awesome. i love them. there should be more blacks.

I LOVE BEING IN HONORS COLLEGE!!! they give us lots of free stuff!! go HUHC!

std's and stupid blonde jewish girls

drama dept!! boo greeks! nobody goes to athletic events. everyone goes to concerts.

yes. i love my teachers, except dudek. and vincent brown.

Reese

things to look out for in the future: presidential debates, medical school, 'greening' campus

coexist. slowly but surely we're reaching towards this ideal.

not exactly... just dont like walking to their building, socially distracted, curious?, more metro than most of the country? people are pretty cool and there are PLENTY of people who dont 'fit the mold'

parking-inept, apathetic, promiscuous, vain

professors are generally amazing and administrators, if they think you are genuine in your efforts, are extremely helpful. classes range from 'meh' to phenomenal.

if you're bored its because you're uncreative.

Erin

The best thing about Hofstra is being involved in Honors College. I have met so many awesome people and had so many opportunities that would not be possible if I weren't in Honors College. The school is pretty much the perfect size. Now that the weather is nice I spend most of my time lying outside in the quad.

There is no student that would feel out of place at Hofstra. The campus is so diverse and everyone is very welcoming. Most Hofstra students are from Long Island, but that pretty much goes for any school in New York. Many of the students are politically aware, and also active.

The best thing about Hofstra is being involved in Honors College. If you are not enrolled in Honors College or anything like that, the best thing for you to do is get involved.

All of my professors are good with knowing everyone's name and taking an interest in them beyond lecturing at them. Students study when necessary, and class participation is encouraged. My favorite class right now is English, because my teacher is awesome and the discussions are great. My least favorite class was the English class I had last semseter. It was just plain terrible.

Leggings and Ugg boots. Also STD's.

There really is no club that is any more popular than another. Hofstra concerts may be, because they put on free movies and cheap concerts.We are not allowed to have our doors open because it's a fire hazard, but we all hang out in the building's lounge together. Athletic events and guest speakers and theatre are very popular. I met my closest friends at Orientation. If I'm awake at am on a Tuesday, I am most likely just hanging out. People party mostly on the weekends. Frats and Sororities are on campus, but not hat important.

Beth

The best thing about Hofstra is the availability of scholarships and the worst thing about Hofstra is the staff in most offic...

The best thing about Hofstra is the availability of scholarships and the worst thing about Hofstra is the staff in most offices.

Most students at Hofstra are either very well off or fairly poor. There is a very small body of students who fall in between these lines.

Some professors are very involved and are sure to know each student while others don't even both to call roll.

Lots of STDs, don't work very hard

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.