Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Alexandra

It's not that bad, really, people are just unorganized.

It's not that bad, really, people are just unorganized.

I have good friends, unfortunately they're the last of the good people at this godforsaken institution.

Listen, the English department rocks, but the Art History department can blow me.

Elana

Hofstra was not my first choice for a university, mostly because I was not planning on going out of state for school. After coming here, it really started to grow on me and as corny as it sounds, I knew that I made the right decision coming here.

I wear a bathing suit to my scuba class. Otherwise I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt and in the winter i wear a jacket.

My favorite part of Hofstra is Honors College, which isn't as nerdy as it sounds. I've met some of the nicest people here, and we have many of the same interests. Honors College is one of Hofstra's best kept secrets for making a smooth transition from high school to college.

Like any other college, Hofstra is a party school if you want it to be, there are always parties going on, but they aren't so overpowering on campus that if you don't want to go, there's no pressure. As for the Long Island girl, there are some that fit this stereotype, but most of the people that you meet are "normal" and have earned their spot on campus.

The biggest stereotype I heard before I came to Hofstra was that it was a big party school. Also once I came here, the stereotype of Long Island girls that were only accepted because of Daddy's money.

One thing I really like about being in Honors College is that you are able to get to know professors over free food. During their office hours, that happen to be in my dorm, we are able to ask questions about anything, ranging from math problems to where to get the best tacos in New York. Also, going to a teacher's office hours is a great way to know a teacher, and really helps raising your grade in their class because they know you are making an effort to do well in their class.

I am usually awake at 2AM on a Tuesday writing a paper for my Wednesday morning class. Most of my friends are also in this class writing the same paper so we spend a lot of time complaining about it, it's a bonding experience though. Luckily, I have a big gap in my day on Wednesday so I can nap after class.

Joe

The teachers here are nice.

The teachers here are nice.

The faculty does not interact with the students outside of classes.

The faculty in the Honors College are very fun and enjoyable.

Not usually... unless I need a good grade. ;)

The teachers are hard, but I learn a lot.

Some teachers help out with social events.

The students sleep with their teachers to get passing grades.

Alana

I love gay people, they are fun!

I love Honors College!!!!!!!!!!!!<33333333333

The teachers are great, and very smart

They live in their own bubble. They wear ugg boots.

Help Darfur Now is a national organization that brings awareness about the genocide in Darfur

Chris

I would make sure that we stop accepting Long Island girls.

I would make sure that we stop accepting Long Island girls.

Long Island girls are very offensive and often discriminate against everyone else. And each other sometimes.

There are not a lot of Long Island girls in Honors College, which makes me love Honors College.

The Long Island girls are very dumb and make classes difficult.

I enjoy activities on campus that do not include the Long Island girls.

Ryan

the tulips!! i love the tulips! yeah dizzy's!!

the tulips!! i love the tulips! yeah dizzy's!!

the gays are awesome. i love them. there should be more blacks.

I LOVE BEING IN HONORS COLLEGE!!! they give us lots of free stuff!! go HUHC!

std's and stupid blonde jewish girls

drama dept!! boo greeks! nobody goes to athletic events. everyone goes to concerts.

yes. i love my teachers, except dudek. and vincent brown.

Reese

things to look out for in the future: presidential debates, medical school, 'greening' campus

coexist. slowly but surely we're reaching towards this ideal.

not exactly... just dont like walking to their building, socially distracted, curious?, more metro than most of the country? people are pretty cool and there are PLENTY of people who dont 'fit the mold'

professors are generally amazing and administrators, if they think you are genuine in your efforts, are extremely helpful. classes range from 'meh' to phenomenal.

parking-inept, apathetic, promiscuous, vain

if you're bored its because you're uncreative.

Erin

The best thing about Hofstra is being involved in Honors College. I have met so many awesome people and had so many opportunities that would not be possible if I weren't in Honors College. The school is pretty much the perfect size. Now that the weather is nice I spend most of my time lying outside in the quad.

There is no student that would feel out of place at Hofstra. The campus is so diverse and everyone is very welcoming. Most Hofstra students are from Long Island, but that pretty much goes for any school in New York. Many of the students are politically aware, and also active.

The best thing about Hofstra is being involved in Honors College. If you are not enrolled in Honors College or anything like that, the best thing for you to do is get involved.

All of my professors are good with knowing everyone's name and taking an interest in them beyond lecturing at them. Students study when necessary, and class participation is encouraged. My favorite class right now is English, because my teacher is awesome and the discussions are great. My least favorite class was the English class I had last semseter. It was just plain terrible.

Leggings and Ugg boots. Also STD's.

There really is no club that is any more popular than another. Hofstra concerts may be, because they put on free movies and cheap concerts.We are not allowed to have our doors open because it's a fire hazard, but we all hang out in the building's lounge together. Athletic events and guest speakers and theatre are very popular. I met my closest friends at Orientation. If I'm awake at am on a Tuesday, I am most likely just hanging out. People party mostly on the weekends. Frats and Sororities are on campus, but not hat important.

Beth

The best thing about Hofstra is the availability of scholarships and the worst thing about Hofstra is the staff in most offic...

The best thing about Hofstra is the availability of scholarships and the worst thing about Hofstra is the staff in most offices.

Most students at Hofstra are either very well off or fairly poor. There is a very small body of students who fall in between these lines.

Some professors are very involved and are sure to know each student while others don't even both to call roll.

Lots of STDs, don't work very hard

Katy

There are three really awesome things about Hofstra that tie for "the best thing about Hofstra". One- the Honors College is great. The events they put on, the program itself, and the staff that work in the department are all fantastic. Two- the Music Department is amazing. The faculty are brilliant and humorous, and love what they teach, and the students in the department are hard working and kind. Three- the campus is absolutely beautiful, especially in the spring. I really like the size of the school, but that's because I'm in a relatively small Department. The balance is great: the school is pretty big so it has a lot of options for events and dining and meeting new people, but the Music Department is small enough to know everyone and make close friends. I spend most of my time on campus. And most of my on campus time is spend in the music building... practicing, rehearsing, etc. There are two things that I would change about Hofstra. One- the financial system kind of stinks. I've had a problem every single semester with financial aid and/or student accounts where incorrect amounts have been put on my account, or my aid changes and I'm not notified, or fees appear for no good reason... in general, things here cost A TON, and Hofstra tends to take money from you any opportunity they get. Two- the dorming situation. Freshmen are given the best options and then are kicked out of their living space after their first year. The options for upperclassmen are limited.

Most Hofstra students are from the tri-state area. But a bunch hail from California as well... a lot of students come to Hofstra who want to experience the east coast. Many students are politically and socially active. There are a number of student run organizations that speak to current issues such as WOA (Women of Action), Hofstra Democrats, GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance), etc. We are a semi-diverse campus, but it is primarily white, Jewish or Catholic people.

I think, as with many stereotypes, that some of the students behave in the ways listed above, and that some do not.

Because I'm a music major, my situation is a little different than other majors in larger departments. I most definitely know all of my professors names, and they all know mine. My classes are generally very small, and I have each of my professors for at least two or three semesters. Also, the students are usually the same in each of my classes. There is always student participation, and students are always having intelligent conversations about music outside of class. This was not so in the general education courses I took, but I can't really speak for other majors.

Again, social life is different for a music major than for a lot of other majors. Drama/dance majors have a similar schedule to music majors. We are always practicing or rehearsing or composing or going to music dep't concerts to support our friends and classmates. However, from what I've seen, the more popular social scene involves Greek life, parties, and sports (particularly basketball).

That the "Hofstra girls" wear uggs and miniskirts, and in general dress inappropriately. That the students are rich and their parents buy their expensive cars and pay for their education. That Hofstra has two types of people- those who party all the time and do nothing else, and those who study all the time and do nothing else

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.