Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Jo

i'd change the dining facility hours, so that dutch treats (for example) stays open longer, so we don't have to starve during intersession and finals week. on campus i'm usually in the student center or in the library getting some work done. when i tell people i go to hofstra they say "ohh, nice" or "ohh, so many STD's." it's so ridiculous.

the new student center sucks, because there are only 4 tables there and if you're not lucky enough to be sitting at one you and your friend(s) have to sit 5 feet away from one another because the new set up is retarded. it needs to be changed again, to benefit the students and all others who choose to sit down.

overall i do like hofstra i but i wish the tuition wasn't as high as it is. it makes me wonder if having a "hofstra degree" is really worth it. i've actually been seriously considering transfering, or not coming back next semester, because i can't afford the tuition here anymore! AT LEAST STOP raising the costs every semester!

the diseases are false. recent studies show that the reports indicate we're clean... as far as the "hofstra red." the student accusations are true.

Generally professors know my name personally. However, there's always the large boring lecture class that everone else is taking where the professor just passes around a sign in sheet while he/she speaks throughout the whole time period of class. i can't stand that. our average class size is small so that the students and professors can get a good understanding of one another and ultimately everyone walks out with a good experience.

that we have our own sexually transmitted diseases. the students are stuck up and rich jerks.

greek life seems to be trying to take over campus. it seems as though they think they are at the top of the world and they think they're the shit. i like being involved in extra cirricular activites and clubs, because that's how i meet some friends and again obtain exceptionally experiences. i love leaving my dorm room door open while i'm in there during the day, with or without my roomate. we like the cross wind, even in the winter; it just seems to bring out the friendly side of everyone.

The worst thing about Hofstra is the parking because residents are pretty much able to park wherever they want, despite the fact that they live on campus. This leaves commuters (all 50% of the student body) on their own when it comes to find a parking spot, usually one that isn't remotely close to class. The best thing about Hofstra is the professors; there are a lot of really smart people working there who care about their students. Hofstra is not in a college town; it is located in a low to middle income town on Long Island, with a few sketchy bars to go to, not "college bars" that you'd find at state schools, etc. Hofstra's administration is pretty good but I don't know a single student who hasn't had a problem with Student Accounts, which can result in problems with registering on time, etc. If you're from Long Island, nobody thinks it's a big deal if you go to Hofstra, it is not hard to get in.

Hofstra's campus is very inclusive - there is a decent number of minorities, LGBT people, religious groups, and even disabled and older students. This is good because it truly does foster a diverse learning environment. I don't feel that many students would feel out of place at Hofstra because the size of the campus (not too big, not too small) allows students to mingle with who they would like and to spend time alone if desired. Students primarily come from a upper middle class background which is evidenced by the clothes they wear and the cars they drive. Most Hofstra students are from Long Island, New Jersey, and Connecticut but there are a decent number of students from outside the Tri-State area. Politics are not huge at Hofstra but they are present, and there are probably an equal amount of both liberal and conversative students.

Just be prepared for a lot of seriously stupid people at Hofstra.

Pretty much. There are a few bright stars among the sour apples, however.

If you stand out in class, your professors will be impressed with you and take the time to let you know. They will usually know your name even if you don't stand out in class, but if you do they will take more time to get to know you. I've had professors offer to write me recommendation letters without even having to ask. This is the best thing about Hofstra. I sincerely doubt that most Hofstra students have intellectual discussions outside of class or that they would even know what one is. They would usually be gossiping or talking about "The Hills" or something - not politics, literature, or art. Obviously there are some students who definitely do this regularly, but not the overall student body. One very unfortunate thing about Hofstra is that literature classes are part of the core curriculum, which means that English majors can never hope to be in high level classes composed only of English majors. Thus, people who have no interest in reading or contributing to class simply register for the class and severely take away from class discussion. Professors even feel as if they have to dumb down their lessons. I feel as if most people are at Hofstra in hopes of eventually just getting a job rather than learning for its own sake. People don't seem to take anything important away from classes that are part of the core, meant to influence how they see the world around them.

The typical "Hofstra girl" goes tanning, is an airhead, cares more about how she looks than how she does in class, talks about her weekend obnoxiously loud while you try to write notes, may be considered promiscuous and probably isn't that good looking despite thinking she is. She is also probably in a sorority. A lot of the students have rich parents and drive expensive cars and aren't in college to really learn but only because their parents paid for it. There are a lot of stupid people at Hofstra.

Maryann

I was always a commuter. I first came to Hofstra in 1986 as a freshman but dropped out after my sophomore year because of financial problems. I came back to Hoftra in 2002 as a part-time evening student. My main gripes are that many required classes are not offered in the evening and that makes it difficult to complete the degree. I must say the chair of the English dept, the Dean of HCLAS and many professors will go out of their way to help you graduate. I am not happy with the official advisors. The one I was assigned as a readmit, while a very nice man, did not seem to be really up on things. I actually ended up taking two classes that I did not need to take. Once, I met with the Dean and the English Chair, life got much easier at Hofstra. I had a clear course of action and since one required course was NEVER offered past 4:30, I took another class in its place and the English Chair waivered it in for me. Since I am a good 20 years older than the "typical" Hofstra student with a full-time job, children, and a mortgage, I really did not participate in campus life.

Some people are like that, but certainly not all.

Classes are what you make of them. It is true no matter where you go. Sure, there are people just there to get the credit and others are there to actually learn. The best classes are those where the professor really loves the subject and engages the class. I think some majors like the business majors are geared toward getting a job. The more liberal arts majors are more geared toward education. Since I've been a professional in the workforce for many years and I am getting a degree for personal satisfaction, I am learning for the sake of learning and because I enjoy going to class and meeting new people. I don't always enjoy the work, but I do like to read authors that I haven't discovered and reaquaint myself with the classics.

Spoiled Long Island kids more concerned about the cars they drive and the jeans they wear.

Jacob

I really like the feel of just walking around campus, because it's a really nice campus with lots of greenery and I also like how the buildings, especially on south campus, look. But it seems like the administration is more concerned with prestige and sounding important than the well-being of the students. They recently spent one and a half million dollars to have the last 2008 presidential debate here on campus. I think that's really cool, but I kind of wish they had spent that money, plus maybe the money put towards the incredibly fancy "University Hall" (which students barely ever have a chance or reason to go into), renovating the decrepit dorm buildings. Also, the town of Hempstead isn't a very hospitable, or even welcoming, place for college students. Almost every week I hear of a stabbing or assault of some Hofstra student or another, and these are usually just down the street at the local bar or club.

I haven't had much interaction with other "groups" on campus, no group has rubbed me in a particularly bad or good way.

The Wellness Center is very incompetent, at least in the experience of my girlfriend and I. On one occasion she asked specifically when making an appointment to see the one actual doctor there (who only comes in on Fridays, for some reason), and they ignored the request. She had made the appointment to switch prescriptions, but they gave her the same pills anyway, and on a separate occasion they couldn't give her the pills that they had prescribed because the prescription wasn't on file, even though she had the prescription that they had written. Besides these failures, the Wellness Center is closed on Sundays altogether and only open until 8 on every other day of the week. Also, Lackmann, the organization that provides food for Hofstra and other campuses, has horribly overpriced food for not that great quality.

My classes have been very good for the most part. My teachers have been enthusiastic, incredibly knowledgeable about their subject matter, and with one notable exception, stay on topic. My favorite class so far has been Introduction to Philosophy, taught by Ralph Acampora. He knew seemingly everything about the subject matter he taught, and seemed to really love what he was doing. I have a great selection of classes at Hofstra, but that may just be because I am a creative writing/philosophy double major. My girlfriend is a biology major who eventually wants to go into medicine, and she has a downright poor selection of classes: next semester there is only one section of each of three classes she needs to take, and two of them conflict.

I'm not in a school organization or club, but most clubs are easy to access because they have groups on Facebook. One thing that I especially love about being in Honors College is that they occasionally organize trips into New York City to see Broadway musicals or museums, and at least three times a week there are smaller activities or dinners in the Honors dorm lounges.

I'm not really aware of many stereotypes here.

Maureen

I love attending Hofstra. I transferred here from Nassau Community College. The campus is beautiful, the courses challenging, and I love the reputation it has when a company sees its name on my resume.

As a commuter I don't feel as involved with my fellow students. I work on campus and attend class then go home to my family and friends. It is difficult getting involved in on campus activities because you just feel like a visitor in a way.

I feel that this can happen on any college campus. Especially since I am a commuter I have never attended any parties on campus or gone to the bars near by so I haven't noticed why this stereotype exists.

Hofstra students are seen as partiers. As a Long Islander all my life, Hofstra has always been made fun of for their student body being very sexually active. In fact, people perceive Hofstra students body to be full of S.T.D.'s.

My social life takes place off campus since I don't dorm here. I love my classes very much but besides that I feel like an outsider when it comes to other social activities.

Hofstra is a very big school but once you declare a major the community becomes smaller and more welcoming. I love seeing the same faces in my classes. It makes you feel less over-whelmed by all the choices you have in your education. Being surrounded by students with the same career goals as yourself is very comforting. You feel like you are on the right track in life.

Charlie

Hofstra's student body is pretty well-rounded. There are students who are interested in a lot of different things, and it's nice to see. However, it's upsetting to see that most of the students are not very involved with the Hofstra community and its clubs. Aside from the tables set up in the student center, there doesn't seem to be that much excitement about being at Hofstra. The students give off a vibe of not wanting to be there, and it becomes contagious.

Scholarship- The merit-based scholarship is established upon admittance and is monitored for failure to maintain a certain GPA, but there is no reward given by Hofstra for doing well while you are there.

The professors at Hofstra are, for the most part, very good. I've found them to be very well educated, and very good educators. I think that Hofstra's faculty is its strong point, and if its reputation improves- it will have been a result of the faculty and the students they've effected. The school offers a bunch of very good classes, and the departments are pretty well structured.

Mostly Long Island Jews, and mostly commuters.

Tristan

Hofstra is a very large school which is one of the reasons I went there. The extensive class offerings drew me in. Most people are very willing to help and despite the class being big its easier inside of a major to find somebody to concentrate on you. I commute there but I go to the mall a lot and to Old Country Road to shop. its awesome. Its near queens and the city. When I tell people I am at hofstra most seems happy or impressed. Some people do not hold hofstra to a high esteem but i do not understand why. The school is great for learning. I love the campus, i find it easy to get around although I have gotten lost once or twice. Adminstration is very nice - people have always helped me and i'm not afraid to ask.

There are many diverse groups on campus, not that i mind. I thiknk a lot of different people would be happy here, i have met so many people. I would not say it is a close knit community although i have had several people be in more than one of my classes and you can get to know people inside your major. I know most professors better than students. The students are mostly liberal - i get a lot of liberal propoganda. I am conservative but it doesn't really bother me. New York is liberal so i expect the campus to be too, plus college kids tend to be more liberal than adults.

Hofstra is a nice place to be, the campus is great and I can always pop in to see a teacher. The place is helpful. it is not perfect, i hate the lang requirement some of the major requirements and when classes are closed. its okay though because i can't imagine being anywhere else. You have to take the good along with the bad

Girls do dress nicely but some don't - i've been on college campuses way more preppy than hofstra. Some people are stuck up but some are not. Its a very diverse place. There are a ton of different people.

My professors all know my name and still recognize me when I see them in the campus. My favorite classes are all english classes. I've also done an independent study which i loved a lot. Its hard to judge where you stand in grades b/c not all the kids are in the same major and its hard to see who is doing well and who isn't. I would have liked to have done better. Some classes are just hard mainly because of the professor. Although I do like hofstra, I have encountered many professors I do not like especially in the poli sci department including - Dudek, Himelfarb I also do not like Neil Donahue at all - he's horrible. I hate the language requirement. It makes me so stressed out. i am here about to graduate taking french 004, its unbelievable. They really should put less of an emphasis on it. Although it doesn't make me not want to go to the school it does make me hate my life for a little while each week. Its one of my biggest problems.

People say Hofstra girls always dress up and that people are stuck at hofstra They also say hofstra has the most STDs

There are many events on at Hofstra. i get e-mails all the time. The events are big too. Well known authors, playwrights people in the buisness come talk to us. i did not meet any class friends at Hofstra. Its a big place, i commute, i made this desicion but its still kind of sad that I don't have special friends from college. I also have met nobody I would want to date. Guys stay to themselves or the to girls they know. They also tend to hang with slutty girls. I do not go to parties but I hear talk - people drink a lot. Its not my scene but it is college

Every stereo-type can hold true for someone, but Hofstra's stereotype isn't accurate on the whole. I'm an athiest, poor, intelligent, and a psych major and have found an amazing niche in the honors college at hofstra. And all those girls that are pin-pointed as 'jappy and bitchy' are pretty nice if you get to know them.

I've liked almost all of my professors. Like every college, univeristy, or elementary school I've hated some of my professors. But I've also had two professors here that have absolutely influenced me as much as a professor can. The school is worth coming to just to have a class with them.

The general populus is viewed as very 'Jappy,' rich, stupid, and gym teacher majors.

Parker

the town hofstra's in isnt that great. you have to drive everywhere but its really nice that its close to the city. the administration isnt very helpful to students and does what we call the "hofstra shuffle" sending students who need help back and forth between offices the basketball games are awesome and really fun people in new york think hofstra is no big deal, but the rest of the country has heard pretty good things about it most time spent on campus is in my room or those of my friends

i feel like there is a place for everyone at hofstra, it is sometimes hard to make friends through classes, unless its a major concentrated class, most people become friends with those that live w/ them or are from the same place

i have found that i encountered many "long island girls" who seem to promote that view, although they might actually be very intelligent

i enjoy almost all of my classes, except for the generel requirement classes my classes, except for lectures are usual small and the teachers always know my name students are definately intellectual outside of class, there are even clubs where all you do is choose a topic to talk about i am not happy about the writing profiency exam, and that they make students who have passed out of english 1 and 2 due to getting a 4 or 5 on the ap test take it

some stereotypes are the "hofstra girl" which is a long island rich conceited not that intelligent girl

u r not allowed to leave your doors open in certain dorms

David

When I tell people that I go to Hofsta, a lot of the time I get a responses saying it's STD central, and that everybody parties, and to always 'wrap it up' otherwise you're guaranteed to get some mythical STD known as the Hofstra Red. I've been here for four years, and haven't seen anything drastically different from stories friends tell me from other schools. Another stereotype is that all the students are spoiled, rich, snobby people, especially the girls who wear the "Hofstra Girl" attire of mini-skirts, North Face jackets, and Ugg boots. You do see these clothes on a day to day basis, but it's also much more noticeable when you're looking out for a specific stereotype. Also, I've met many nice people who come from average income families.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.