Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Abigail

The classes are small, that is a good thing. Hempstead isn't really a "college town" there is a lot of crime but the good thing is hat the security on campus is very good.

Hofstra is very diverse as a student body which is a good thing, it gives students insight to different cultures and different people.

Conversations in class are usually insightful and the class sizes are small which makes you learn more.

That Hofstra students carry STDs

Student in their dorms usually leave their doors open in effort to get to know the people that live on their floor. Athletic events are fairly popular, I feel the most popular sporting events are football, soccer, basketball and lacrosse. Sports teams generally set a good example to college kids and usually dont party. All the sports teams are close knit, for example I am on the women's cross country team and we are very close.

Harper

I didn't find Hofstra that exceptional when I first saw it, probably because I hadn't visited many others. After attending Hofstra though, I found it to be a very great place to learn. The campus is beautiful as anyone might imagine, however, it severly contributes to a great learning environment. You don't necessarily feel like you are in a school, which I suppose could be both a good or bad thing. For me, I found it a great thing. The point is, there is just so much freedom to do what you want. It is such a refreshing environment that you don't feel stressed out all the time. All my classes are spread out, and I have free time to eat, go to the library, go to the lab and get work done. It is nothing like highschool, especially since my highschool was very small. Hofstra is the school I would attend again and again if I had to do it all over again.

Though I don't find Hofstra completely racially divided, there are people that come here from all over the country. It is much more geographically divided. I have also met several gays on campus, and I have not met many in my life before. I definitely find it refreshing. I am meeting people from all walks of life. Coming from a small highschool, it is easy to say that I'm meeting a whole lot of people that are possibly a whole lot different from myself.

It has only be my first year at Hofstra. I am a person who enjoys going to school, however, I believe that Hofstra is just a great place to learn, that sometimes I wish I could be here longer than just four years. My first year has already gone by so fast, and I imagine the rest will fly by as well. However, I will try to make the most of my time here. There is definitely alot to gain, to learn, and to see.

There are always activities going on, and there is just so much to do on campus. I find it a very useful and entertaining environment.

As of current, I am a freshman at Hofstra, and I am finishing my first year. So far, I've really enjoyed all of my classes. They have been very interesting, and all my teachers have been great. I feel like college is such a great place to learn. It is so much different from highschool. I feel like I've already learned so much since I've been here, and opened up new horizons.

I don't know if you would call it a "stereotype", but Hofstra has alot of resources and facilities.

There are tons to do on campus! There are always clubs and activities going on. There are free movies, events, and social gatherings. There is never a shortage of things to do. I really love Hofstra for that. I am a person who often gets invovled with extracurricular activity, and I am trying to get into activities on campus. I've joined a few clubs, been to a few cultural shows. I have also been to several civic events where guest speakers come and speak about a wide variety of topics. Once you get involved in campus activities, you start to meet new people. It is a great feeling.

Andrea

Depending on home big the class, but most professors know your name. I study about 10 hours a week for 4 classes. Class participation is common.

That we are rich. That it is a rich school. That it is a bad school and we have a lot of red tape in different departments. The Hofstra Shuffle. Clubs and org are separated.

Parker

Hofstra has so many wonderful aspects and provides tons of opportunities- you just have to be willing to look for them. I transferred here from a "better ranked" university because Hofstra offered a strong music program with the major I wanted, and I am very happy. The school is big enough that there are lots of resources available, but not so large that you get lost in the crowd- walking around campus I'm always saying hello to people I know. There are always student-run activities, plays, shows and concerts happening on campus, and with the upcoming Presidential debate scheduled for this October, Hofstra has been hosting numerous guest speakers, lectures, and programs designed around the election and election issues. Since I'm a music major, I spend most of my time in the music library, or in the cafe, or in a practice or rehearsal room. Though it's in the middle of Hempstead, a run down and not so nice area, the campus is beautiful. The dorms are relatively comfortable and the food is pretty good- although it is ridiculously overpriced. Basically, Hofstra is trying to become well-respected and build a reputation as a prestigious University, and for the most part it is doing a great job. However, you can still sometimes see mediocrity underneath the surface.

Hofstra is definitely less diverse than I would expect. There are sizeable minority groups on campus but the majority seem to be white and middle class. However, there are no visible tensions between groups of any kind that I have seen. There are a great deal of disabled students on campus, and Hofstra is very good about making every area handicap-accessible. Most students are from New York, but about half are from out-of-state. Hofstra is expensive, so most students come from a fairly secure middle class background. Many students live on Long Island and commute to school rather than dorm. As a whole, Hofstra is more left-leaning than conservative.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many people think Hofstra sucks. I went to a crappy school for a year; Hofstra is fabulous in comparison. If you figure out what you want out of life, odds are, Hofstra can help you get there.

As far as my experience goes, not at all. Most of my interactions have been with other music majors, but almost everyone I have met has been smart, busy, hardworking, and interesting. If you can find your niche at Hofstra (and it's not too hard to do... the school isn't that big), you'll find some great people who know what they want out of life. The only people who really complain about the other students are those who seem to make a concious effort to be unhappy, though I suppose Long Island might take some getting used to if you're from out of state. As far as the STDs go, I have a boyfriend, so I really wouldn't know.

The vast majority of my classes have been wonderful. The professors have been incredibly knowledgeable and approachable, and have always learned all the students by name. There are no giant lectures, so class discussions are very common. However, you will still get the occasional horrible professor who shouldn't be allowed to teach. I'm a music education major, and I think the music department is one of the strongest on campus. All but one of my music professors has been fabulous, and they are all willing to go above and beyond to help you succeed. The ensemble directors are inspiring in their dedication, and I absolutely love my private teacher. After particularly good concerts some ensemble directors have been known to throw parties, and there is always a holiday and end of the year party where students and professors both have lots of fun. Between classes and practicing all the music majors usually end up in the music library, which is great because everybody gets to know everyone else, and since we all love music there's always something to talk about. Students who go to Hofstra tend to be more career minded, and the educational experience as a whole reflects that to some extent, but I feel like I'm getting a great education for education's sake nonetheless.

Some stereotypes about Hofstra students are that they are rich, lazy Long Island kids who have too much money and time on their hands and not enough intelligence. Due to the supposedly high rate of STDs, the "GPH" (General Population of Hofstra) is often said to be carrying the "Hofstra Red," an unknown cocktail of terrible sexual infections.

Jo

The student body at Hofstra is probably like most liberal arts colleges around the country. Students come to class in anything from sweats and a baseball hat to a shirt and tie. You can find thrifty gear to designer brands sported and no one really seems to care either way. With such a diverse student population you can pretty much find any type of person on campus. Although about two-thirds of students represent the east coast, all 50 states are represented as well as a large international population. Many students are from middle to upper-middle class families. Happily the campus is a buzz over the current political situation, and even better Hofstra will host the third 2008 Presidential debate this fall!

The most imporant thing I can say about Hofstra is that you make it what you want of it. If you go into it with the idea that you are going to make the most of it, then you will. If you go into it saying that it's going to suck, than it is! Hofstra can certainly eat you alive if you let it.

The academics at Hofstra have always shown my that you get of it was you put into it. Classes are normally small and the professors know your name and are there to help you, if you ask. I've always found that most professors at Hofstra have a good sense of humor and are passionate about teaching. Most of the professors at Hofstra have come from the field they are teaching in, which gives you a comfort that they are teaching from experience not just straight from a book. I know that my professors have connections still within their field and can help you find a job or write you a great recommendation.

As anyone who goes to Hofstra will tell you, we sometimes get a bad rep. All you have to do is look up Hofstra on Urban Dictionary and you will get a picture of easy girls and drug-induced frat guys running a muck. As a senior, I know that those reputations can be true of some people, but I genuinely believe that it does not apply to most of us. At the heart of the student body are fun, friendly and kind students doing their best to succeed in college!

Greek life at Hofstra is popular, but it doesn't mean you won't have any fun if you don't join. There are over 150 clubs on campus which means no matter what you like to do you can find it on campus. Hofstra doesn't have it, then start it. The school also encourages students to start new clubs to provide activities for all its students. Like at any other college, Hofstra students know how to have a good time and on any given night you can find a party going on somewhere. Our close proximity to NYC means we have access to one of the worlds greatest cities and all of the fun that it offers. We love our basketball team, even in the years when they aren't playing well, and we stand together as fans cheering on our team no matter what! They don't call us the "Pride" for no reason. The school aslso does a lot to being interesting speakers to campus, whether it's former US President Bill Clinton to Jilliam Michaels the fitness trainer from The Biggest Loser.

Brittney

The Hofstra administration is full of people who have a genuine invested interest in each student’s academic and individual success. They are accommodating, supportive and constructive.

Students at Hofstra University are definitely politically aware. Hofstra has started a “movement” entitled, Educate ’08. The focus is on the current political flavor of the U.S. and encourages students to politically enrich themselves through seminars, special courses and opportunities to get involved in actual political work. Just last month I was volunteering at Admitted Students Day, informing incoming freshman of the communications field, when another volunteer, two Hofstra professors and I indulged in a friendly political debate. I find that speaking to a peer sitting next to me in class about politics is just as enriching as speaking to a political analyst.

There are endless windows of opportunities to get involved with the area of study that suits your passion both inside and outside of the classroom at Hofstra University. Enabling this are the professors who have mentor-like qualities as they provide you with the best advice on what you can do to embark on your journey of exploration. Most of the professors at Hofstra have had unbelievable experiences, aside from teaching, which makes speaking to them so compelling and enriching.

Ainsley

When I tell people in the west coast that I go to Hofstra, they ask me where it is. I would change the tuition, it is too expensive. Hofstra is a good sized private college. It has a beautiful campus, especially in the spring. I spend most of my time in Adams, the math building or the library. There is no college town around Hofstra. Hempstead lacks that aspect. Even dangerous at times... There are a lot of ignorant people who go to Hofstra. They either decide to waste their money on drinks party or don't care about things that are actually important. But then again this all depends on what people care about. Hofstra does have a lot of dining facilities but the food is way overpriced.

There is a good size population of blacks and latinos. Asians are definitely a minority. A lot of the students there are long island rich kids who get money from daddy. Students could be more active in events...I feel like a majority is only interested in getting drunk and partying. But don't get me wrong, there is a population who cares about issues; it's just harder for those groups to plan for things because of a lack of student interest. Greek life is big.

Professors do know my name. I feel like a lot of students don't study that much, or at least they don't study as much as I do. There are lots of intellectual conversations among honors college students. Students aren't that competitive in "regular classes" or in the easy majors. I spend time outside of class with professors during their office hours. The math department is small but it is a good department.

Brandon

I feel the size of Hofstra is perfect. It is not too big and not too small. However the one problem that is a common issue is the matter of suffienct parking. It can take up to 45 minutes to find a parking space at times which can be extremely frustrating. However the campus itself is very easy on the eyes, easy to navigate, and welcoming in general. The first time I was ever on campus I felt like I belonged.

The HUHC is excellent. The entire staff is extremely efficient in terms of time and responses, they strongly encourage students to get involved in HUHC activities and are extremely friendly. Usually Deans are intimidating but the HUHC Deans are some of the most approachable people I have ever met. The INHO work is great. I have learned more this semester doing my INHO's then I have ever learned during my time in college. In general I have learned more in 2 semester at Hofstra than I have learned at any other College or University. Hofstra gets an A ++

As with any community the stereotype is true to a degree. However this is not true to the extent of which this generalization has been made. Yes these type of people are represented at Hofstra, but I have found Hofstra to be extremely articulate, professional, and extremely diverse culturally as well and socially.

Hofstra classes in general are geared toward learning for the sake of learning. There are some professors that use real work examples rather than fake textbook examples. However the learning is in depth and stimulating. The professors are excellent and are always available for help or just to discuss the material. My favorite professor was Dr. Shawn T. Thelen of the Zarb School of Business. I took International Marketing with him. He gave 1 test, and most of the class was spent on examining international news, talking about what international marketing entails career wise, as well as examining real word cases for analysis. The main project was identifying an unknown international market segement along with a 25 page marketing plan. He made me realize that international marketing is exactly what I want to do and motivated me to enroll in HUHC.

The main stereotypes that stick out in my mind are that they are all Italian tan and imitate the Gotti's. Most Hofstra students are thought to be one in the same. Another stereotype is that all the girls are rich and fake.

Caitie

The best thing about Hofstra is the location and the professors. Many of the professors work in the industries. Internships are easy to get because of location and that seems to be a reason a lot of people go there. The administration does not seem to give a damn about anyone other than the incoming freshman which is a pain in the ass, but from what I hear from other people, that is how it is everywhere. The food service is horrible and students are working to hcange it.

Races at Hofstra seem to rarely mix, and people of different socio-economic groups do not mix often either. Mizing does happen, but most of my friends work on campus with me, so I know only the kind of people who need to have jobs. If you walk into a class you see a wide variety of clothes. A lot of girls dress up, but a lot also wear sweatpants. Jeans and shirts are most ocmmon with both sexes

No, Hofstra is not as easy to get into. The classes are not all easy, many of the professors really challenge students. It seems like a lot of the school is from Long Island, but it is getting less and less. Many of my classes have less than 1/2 of the students from New York. If you want to party you can, but I have found plenty of people who dont

The academics are very strong. All the professors know your name if you speak up, most of my classes really encourage student participation. Students tend to not be competitive. If you want intelligent conversations out of class, you can find people to have them with. I am a publishing major and it is awesome because we are one of the only colleges that has it. The classes are really hands on and we learn how things work in the industry and have to use what we are learning and actually do it.

That it is easy to get into, classes are not hard. The stereotypes about students is that everyone parties and are from Long Island

The activities on campus leave something to be desired. They have a lot, but meeting times always overlap so it is hard to be uber involved. There is a lot of Greek life on campus, but if you aren't into that you can find stuff to get involved in, just expect a lot of people to ignore you doing rushing. The weekends at hofstra are dead, most people go home, so if you want to do things you go into NYC

Kelsey

When I tell people from back home from Boston they say "Oh wow, that's a good school" But when I tell people around here, especially guys, they immediately think I'm easy and not so bright.

SUPER diverse. But not all of the different groups always get along.

Hofsta is schedualed to host the presidential debates in the fall of 2008. Everyone's super excited and hopes to be one of the lucky few to obtain a ticket to the event.

The Hofstra Red- we all have crazy stds and aids etc. Long Island Girls- super tan, wear uggs and sweats with a slit up to the knee, love coach and gucci purses, hit up the local bars every night, wear Ed hardy shoes, and have a strong love for rain boots

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.