Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Anna

Hofstra...let's you try anything once. I'd change the administration. The school is a good size - about 12,000 with 4,000 on campus and I'd say roughly the same amount living nearby campus and the rest either from Hempstead or commute from Brooklyn or Queens. People actually seem to respect hofstra. I spent most of my time on campus in my room, in my friends room, or roaming the campus causing mischeif. There is no college town - it really is a ghetto. We had the locals pull guns on us, there is theiving, we had a pistol whipping. The area sucks. Hofstra's administration does not make up for the ghetto town. There is so much paper to get anything accomplished that it takes about half a year to do anything. If you are looking for administration that cares - I would suggest going elsewhere. The biggest controversy on campus was how to stay safe when going out. Pretty much. I don't know. Wasn't big into the caring of campus issues. Some people have school pride, some don't. There is a HUGE fan section for our basketball team (one of the few things we are good at here)...so there is pride there. When compared to all campuses Hofstra is unique. When compared to Long Island - Hofstra is very typical. We have a large number of people from Long Island here (learn about them before coming)...with a large portion from Queens here as well. There are lots of out of area people here too...but the Long Island presence is felt strongly. What you imagine as an annoying frat kid is probably a good depiction of the average Long Island guy. I will always remember the good times I spent with my best friend that I met (she was from Texas...so not everyone's local). The most frequent student complaints are the laxatives put into the food as preservatives (I've been told thats almost at every college though), the lack of good administration, and the fact that you might get knocked out, pulled a gun at, or pistol whipped when you walk down the street toward the bar on Friday.

There are alot of difference racial groups - alot of minorities are here. Everyone pretty much gets along. Although white people get targeted by locals more outside of campus. Religion is varied here...there is a large jewish population and lots of christians too. It's pretty much all mixed up here. The only kind of student that would feel out of place here is a homophob. We're close to the city...we have alot of homosexuals. It's how it is. Students wear anything from designer clothes to sweatpants to class...and to the bar. Different types of students interact - although it's fairly limited. It's not taboo or anything...mixing just isn't something that happens all that much here. You have a huge circle of friends - it just tends to be similar friends. Umm...there are lots of little tables in the dining hall...and your lucky if there is a free seat. As said before, most Hofstra students are from Long Island/Queens/Brooklyn...as well as the rest of the planet. Financial backgrounds range from broke to rich. Middle class is probably most seen here. Some students are politically active...some are politically aware...potheads are here talk about politics but aren't aware or active (the majority of campus). It's a college campus - they are lefties...with the occasional right. Students are concerned with their earnings I guess.

They are fairly accurate. Of course, there are a variety of people here - not everyone has too much hair gel, an overly tight shirt (if your a guy)...or wear furry boots with miniskirts in the blizzard with too much makeup (if your a girl) - but it is a common sight. Especially at the bars where locals tend to show up and mix around. Then again, the school is in a ghetto...and a large portion of the people who go to (I'm not sure if even half actually go to the school) school and bars are some of the sketchiest people ever.

That there are lots of guidos and rich snobby girls. That people here are very promiscuous.

Umm...frats and sororities are big here. Lots of artsie clubs are big. Also groups and organizations in your major is what most people get into. Students try to leave their dorm rooms open but alot of buildings have slam locsk and you will get fined for that. Plus stealing is big - which is why they have those fines - so you are told to lock your door even when just going to the bathroom in the hall. Personally, most people leave their doors open or cracked when they are in their room...although it depends on the floor (dunno why). Athletic events can be big or small - Rugby and Basketball are huge here. We get occassional guest speakers that bring out large crowds although not usually. We have a great communications department so we get hooked up with great shows. For $5 we had shows to see Mitch Hedgberg, The Roots, Lewis Black, and alot of other great people. So...that was great. The dating scene is mostly found in a blacked out portion of your memory when you were at the bar. I met my closest friends through classes, living on the same floor, and through my closest friends. If I'm awake at 2 am...I'm probably smoking pot, drinking, studying, writing some kind of paper or something, watching tv trying to fall asleep, or playing guitar hero. Traditions? Well...Happy Hour every friday! Then there are the frat things at certain times of year. 4/20 is big, mardi gras, the usual ones I guess. I know people who party 24/7, people who party hard on the weekends, and people who never party. It depends on what you want to do. Frats and the whole greek thing is big but its not necessary. Saturday night not drinking usually involved getting high. Or studying. Off campus is where the bars are...plus the biggest mall in Long Island is 10 minutes away. Lots of great places to eat around here...although expensive.

Professors know your name...especially when you go to class. My favorite class was probably genetics - I had a great time with the subject. Then again I had an amazing professor for organic chemistry who was nothing short of genius. He supposedly turned down a 2 million dollar deal to become a chemistry lawyer to continue teaching us dumbasses. my least favorite class was an honors class by some horrible atheist bitch - pretty much you had to deny the existence of god to get an A. it was kind of weird. I knew students who didn't go to class and didn't study...and then there was me and my roommate studying about 90% of our waking hours...and eating the rest of the time. Not to say we didn't have fun. So, it depends on your major, how well you want to do, and what else you've got going on in your life...not to mention if its midterm or finals week. I had small classes as a biology major so class participation was common but I'm told business classes are larger and you don't have to participate as much. That was def. the case in the marketing class I took. Hofstra students do converse intellectually outside of class...especially the kids who study all the time. Students can be competitive if they care. It's mostly about what you want to do. The most unique class that I've taken was...organic chemistry. For the fact that my teacher was completely insane in a great way. Biology at Hofstra is a small major - although larger than geology. There are alot of good professors here...and some annoying ones. Morrisey is def. a great teacher to take, and Willey is another amazing teacher, along with Clendening. Some teachers take more getting used to and are hate them or love them kind of characters. Because it's so small you really get to know the teachers and your classmates - as well as alot of the biochem/chem majors because alot of the classes are the same. I spent alot of time with professors when I needed help, advice on departmental issues, research, as well as references. Hofstra's academic requirements are average. Hofstra education in the biology field is geared toward pre-med (for the obvious reasons)...but alot of the teachers help gear you toward research because that is their interest. I know alot of business and such is geared toward getting a job...and the highly advertised Career Center is big into business jobs (dont let them bullshit into telling you that they can find you good chem/bio jobs).

If you're female and you dress like you're at a yeti ski resort you're in the right place.

They are very involved in cliques. The majority of the female population are stereotypical dumb blonde types that only care about high fashion and who's going to the Dizzy Lizard that night. In the winter they dress like yetis at a ski resort. The guys I've met are cool though.

Either my classes are way too demanding or not demanding enough. In my major classes we talk about puns in our profession. When it gets serious the professors talk gibberish and expect us to know everything. The textbook choices are also horrible

Tara

Best thing about Hofstra would hands down have to be the small class sizes in a relatively large school. It guarantees personal time with the professors and helps tailor classes to students specific needs. I don't find the advisement at Hofstra, or half the staff, to be too friendly, but it's still easy to get around the unpleasant ones. I think Hofstra is a perfect size, not scary huge that whole towns are devoted to the school (PENN state), but not teeny tiny either. More recently, Hofstra's reputation has increased so people are generally to mildly impressed when they hear I attend. I spend most of my time in my car (I commute) or in the various cafes on campus. Hempstead is known to be a relatively high crime area, so I wouldn't refer to it as a college town by any means--except maybe the strip of bars right near Hofstra.

I have seen a variety of races on campus, but I would say the majority is white. Religion, I have not personally come across to frequently in my short tenure at Hofstra so far but it is evident that there are many different types of religious groups. I would have to say a less finanicially privledged student may feel out of place at Hofstra, seeing that there is a significant population of those who are. Different types of students interact at least in my experience, though I cannot say what occurs outside academic hours. I have never been to the dining hall. I would like to say a chunk of students are from the tri-state area surrounding Hofstra, but I have met students from Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, and the like. I would say, yes, students are politically aware, especially more so this year as Hofstra is hosting the last of the 2008 Presidential Debates. I would have to say too that I have seen conservative students and liberal students, so political views are too varied. I have never heard salary discussed.

Parking for commuters, and I'm pretty sure everyone, is absolutely horrific. It turns into a death match over spaces and if you're not careful and park on the various side streets, it's very easy to be ticketed by the evil code enforcers lurking everywhere and some tickets are pricey.

Well, because it is a private institution, I'm sure there are plenty of students who could be dubbed accurately "wealthy" if they're not there on dozens of loans and scholarships. And the STDs? Personally, I've never asked anyone to confirm that rumor, though I think it's a given it's not true.

Yes, the small class sizes allow the professors to know every student. My favorite class so far is an extremely small advanced writing class because myself and the other students get to pretty much gear the class discussions and assigments in any direction due to the creative nature of the course and the small size. I had an English class I really was bored with because it was mixed with many non-English majors that took it to fill a requirement and had no real interest in the subject matter. It was a shame. I am a horrible studier, I try to be good, but have not mastered that, but it seems that students probably do moderate to higher levels of studying--at least what I've observed during finals. Class participation is usually pretty common, but I think it depends on the course and teachers usually require it as part of the final grade. Personally I have had intellectual conversations, but I can't speak for everyone. Not so much competitiveness at Hofstra yet. The most unique class I've taken is the aforementioned writing class. I personally enjoy the English department, I feel they offer a decent variety of different English courses to fufill the courses, but the advisement I've personally come across has been less than helpful. So far I have not spent time with professors outside the appointed class time, except for nighttime observations I had to attend for an astronomy class, so maybe I did? Their academic requirements are very similar to those in other colleges, I don't think anything outside the normal. In my major, definitely learning for learnins sake, but I don't know about other majors.

I am a recent transfer and commuter, so most of this question does not apply to me. Sporting events are highly popular for the most part, and guest speakers and Hofstra theater and performing arts get their fair share of recognition too. I'm pretty sure the bar nights at Hofstra are Tuesday, Thursday and the weekends. Greek life exists at Hofstra but is not as big as other schools.

AS a transfer student, I have to say I don't know much about current stereotypes, except maybe Hofstra students being wealthy, spoiled people. Growing up in the area though, I remember Hofstra being associated highly with STDs. As in, everyone on the campus had one and if you went ot Hofstra you were automatically associated with them.

Quinn

The Hofstra Career Center is one of Hofstra's most undervalued resources. The career center helps students find internships during school and place them in a job after graduation. For students who may not know what they want to do, they offer career counseling services to figure out what you want to do in life. For students who know what they want to do, but may not know how to go about it, there are services. They offer seminars on resume writing, interviewing, interview dress, and more. The online recruitment site offers hundreds of job/internship listings. The Career Center is a great resource! Hofsta has a beautiful campus. The 240 acre campus is a national arboretum. We have over 350 different plant types on campus. In the spring we have almost 100,000 tulips blooming all over campus; they are absolutely gorgeous. The grassy courtyards are perfect for outdoor studying. Walking around campus with beautiful things to look at make school a very pleasant atmosphere.

Students wear many different styles to school. Education majors tend to wear "teacher" clothes. Business majors often wear suits. Dance/Drama majors usually wear clothing they can easily move in. The other styles run the gammet: jeans and sweatshirt, mini skirts, sweats, anything you can think of. Hofstra is hosting the final 2008 Presidential debate. To prepare the campus for this amazing opportunity, Hofstra is hosting Educate 2008. This campaign has many programs and seminars designed to educate the students about the candidates, the election process, and other political processes. Students are very involved in the planning of these activities. Students at Hofstra come from all over the country. The top 10 states are most from the northeast, but Florida and California also rank in the top 10. Most students who attend Hofstra are out of state.

No, this stereotype is NOT accurate (see above).

BIG stereotype: Hofstra is a commuter school! It is SO not. I am from CA, I do NOT go home on the weekends and none of my friends do either. Hofstra offers so many on-campus activities there is no need to go home. Hofstra is also very close to New York City and many students travel there for the plethora of activities.

Men's basketball is the most popular sport on campus. Most people attend the games and sit in "The Lion's Den." A frequent saying at games, "If you can't see, stand up." If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am writing a paper or studying for a big test, otherwise, I am definitely sleeping!

Professors DEFINITELY know your name on this campus. The average class size is 23, it is very easy for you to get to know your professor. I am so close to my professors that I babysit their children. They are not only my teachers, but my confidents, mentors, and friends. My favorite class was my Philosophy of Education class. The class extremely student centered. Every class meeting we would have a new and exciting class discussion. The professor was young and excited. Classes are always great when the professors LOVE the subject matter they are teaching, which at Hofstra happens all the time!

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.